bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 12 1:19 AM
Morning, all...

Well... a new game by ERS, which looks like an adventure game with HOS thrown in.

There are 3 gameplay modes. You can change the mode any time you like.

There is voice-over.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

The SG (strategy guide) is at the bottom right, and stays open where you last left it open.

There is an option for widescreen (doesn't work for me).

There is a Diary at the left. There is no Map.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) I have encountered so far are either:
find 12 of this and find 20 of that. Personally I love these kind of HOS.

The other HOS I came across is the new one, where you find objects by silhouettes, and then use the objects to interact in the HOS with other things.

The HINT is in form of a FAN. While in the HOS, you will encounter more fans. Collect them, because each one makes up a hint. I haven't yet ran out of them, so I don't know what happens when you only have one left and use it. I suppose that's when it will refill?

Puzzles so far have been on the easy side (even for me). Thank you, ERS. I have always struggled with their puzzles - am not good at most of them - and am glad to see there are some I can actually manage. LOL

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button took about 1 1/2 minutes to fill in Easy mode.

You will find coins (gold lire) all over the place. Collect them; you will need them to buy things from the shop.

Graphics are of the usual ERS high standard.

--- --- ---

Gameplay didn't throw me off my chair with excitement, but this is nevertheless the type of game I really enjoy playing. So I am off to buy.

Edited to add things about the puzzles...

Edited on 07/05/2012 at 4:16:05 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 5, 12 1:47 AM
Time to review yet another game from that most prolific of game developers, ERS.

As is so often the case, there is good and bad. Let me go through the bad first, so we can wrap up on the positives.
-I know it should not be a surprise to me to see that the game has a widescreen option that does not work for most of us that have widescreen laptops, but it always frustrates me, and here is why. ERS games are always so beautifully rendered with some of the very best graphics and artwork that I can not understand why they would not want to include the widescreen for as many of us as possible. I have suggested before that they simply don't want to. Is that it? After all, they are one of the few devs that you never, never see in the forums, and they don't reply to comments on their own site. I have suggested before that they don't care. But I've come to think that with all the effort seemingly put into the other aspects their games that this just can't be it. So now I have to wonder----do they simply not know HOW to do it? Could this be it? Hard to imagine as they are now one of only 2 major devs that don't. Anyway, it's a big for no working WS.
-The bonus content is all locked until you are through with the game. Totally backwards from how it should be.
-The puzzles are overly simple.

As to the positive,
-The graphics are, as always with ERS, beautiful.
-They are making an honest effort, I believe, to get away from the same old things. There are significant twists to the HOS that are interesting, and the characters are not cartoon-like. (finally)
-I believe I actually heard some different, and yes, pleasant music.
-The voiceovers are much improved, even over the so-called professionals in the motel game.
-The mechanics of the game are excellent, and it flows very smoothly.
-And the story is actually interesting----one which I would like to see just where it goes.

So things may be looking up for ERS, but that non-working WS has got to go. They show 40 games in the menu screen, and not a single one has the working WS. Get this right, and ERS will take a step back toward the top devs----without this feature their games just remain nice, pretty and run-of-the-mill. I will buy the SE, but no double money from me for 1024 x 768 black bar presentation.

ETA----JulieJay was kind enough to tell me that this game works in the sale, so I will buy it at the sale price. Thanks, JulieJay (and DLO)!!

ed.-spelling

Edited on 07/05/2012 at 2:12:59 AM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 5, 12 2:17 AM
I agree with Valdy & Cbtx on both the pro's and con's. I am a big fan of ERS. If you are familer with them, then you've seen and played this style before. But like I said, I'm a fan! They do offer Fullscreen and Widescreen. The widescreen work's for me, but I understand the frustration for those it doesn't. I have had that happen often myself. And it's very disappointing for those of us with widescreen monitor's. But it's working for me this time.

I really like the storyline and the voice acting it better than usual. The graphics are a little foggy but still very beautiful. The animations are really well done. I enjoy having to collect gold coins to shop for items. It add's a different aspect to the game and make's it more of a challenge. I found myself not wanting to stop playing.

So when a game holds my interest from the start like this one did, that usally means I'm going to enjoy and love it. And so far I really do. It's a buy for me and most definitely should be a try. If your not familer with ERS...buckle your seat belt...your in for a real treat. And if your familer with ERS and are a fan like myself...get ready for a great ride. Good job developers and thank you . Enjoy!

Yes:Widescreen
Yes: Fullscreen
Yes: Voiceover's
Yes: Custome Cursor
Yes: Journal
Yes: Hog Scene's(not junk pile)
Yes: Extra's Locked
No: Sparkles in advanced/expert mode
No: Map
Mode's of play: Casual/Advanced/Expert
Theme: Who Dun It Mystery

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 5, 12 4:11 AM
What a delightful game . I must have been sitting next to Lisa as this one held my interest from the start too and I wanted to continue playing but I am no longer going to pay double for a game that locks everything until the bonus chapter has been played as by that time I have no interest whatsover in even seeing what those extras are let alone using a screensaver or wallpaper when I am playing a different game entirely (please note devs). Therefore the only time I will buy CE's is if they are in a sale and, thanks to the heads up from Cbtx/JulieJay that this one is, I will actually be buying this as soon as I have finished this review instead of waiting for the SE.

The graphics are well done although some have that turquoisey wash over them which I am not keen on but the only place I have had a bit of difficulty seeing things was in the 'blacksmiths' where you had to find hammers and chains. I do like that they have given us variety in the hidden objects scenes in that you have to find a set number of the same item in one scene but there are silhouettes in another.

The music was quite pleasant although I didn't keep it on all the time and the puzzles that I came across were fun and easy (apart from one where I had to check the SG).

One thing I really liked was the knowledge that you can change the difficulty during gameplay but, for me, the icing on the cake was finding that you could still skip puzzles in Hard mode . This skip option gave me the confidence to try playing in Hard mode for the first time ever and I have to say that not being told everything has really added to my enjoyment of the game, thanks devs .

Cherb

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 5, 12 4:44 AM
as ever my 23" screen was filled without doing anything in settings,but as i'm curious,i checked on options the wide screen and surprise!i had black bars!i think it only correct the distorsion!so i unchecked and go on!
i'm disapointed by this one not for wide or not but with the story;i played during 1,5 hour before doing something of interest with the conti story
i don't think to have to pay some items and go back doing minigames to have some money is a big plus,the atmosphere in the game loose all his interest doing that!after that ,taking care of pets and pigeons is not the tasks of a detective searching for a murderer!
not at all conviced with this one and ,can i say that i was a little bored with this game without making all ERS'fans(who i am the most part of the time!)throwing me stones?
cbtx,if you want to say something to ERS team,try their facebook page!they answer!

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Jul 5, 12 4:46 AM

Edited on 07/08/2012 at 5:04:27 AM PST

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 5, 12 6:10 AM
Really liked this game. So refreshing to have so few HO scenes, and more enjoyable clever and novel ways of playing iHOG scenes.
There was an awful lot to like about this game at the start.
As time went by there were no more iHOG scenes, and just a couple of bog standard HOGs but that was all.
It almost felt as though the energy and enthusiasm to make this game, started to wane towards the end.
My biggest gripe (and these devs are not alone), is the CE bonus chapter. Whilst there was a fair bit to do, why do they pad the extra gameplay out with so many HO scenes? I find it very annoying as those of us that buy the CE editions, pay double. But we rarely get double our moneys worth.
The puzzles started off as quite unique, but again over time became more generic.
I got an access violation whilst doing one task, but after a ctr alt del it behaved itself to be able to complete the game.
Didn't need to use the SG, and even though I played advanced mode, there was far too much hand holding.
So, I started off loving it, and ended up being pleased when it came to an end.
Lasted 5 and a bit hours and I skipped a few puzzles.

[Post New]by luvscandles on Jul 5, 12 6:51 AM
I'm an ERS addict..........not crazy about the find so many of this and that, but did well with the trial & just loaded the full version ~ so here goes!

Vallarina
Guppy
Guppy
111 Posts

[Post New]by Vallarina on Jul 5, 12 7:30 AM
I enjoyed the demo very much. The graphics were done nicely. There were only a few HOS and much more interactive puzzles.
I believe it's a buy for me especially with the 50% off sale for July 4th going on atm.
Thanks Big Fish, please keep up the great work!
Vallarina

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 5, 12 9:51 AM
Another great game from ERS!!! Loving this game. Kudos to the devs. I see that we have Giovanni back from the previous Grim Facade game. Love the fact you can choose music in his store for your game. So if you don't like the music you can change it. Pretty cool! Most of the game is the same as previous but they really didn't need to improve upon anything. Graphics are beautiful. I was wondering why they were using lira instead of the euro, then duh I realized this is set in the past. Beautiful start to the day! What more can I say. For me, 5 stars and more. Okay, BF makes up for yesterday. That game should be put back in the crypt! No pun intended. A buy for me because this caliber of game is really worth the price.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 5, 12 9:58 AM
Another beautiful game from our friends from ERS, for me is without doubt a buy I have to put it up front, I am such a fan.

The game is just gorgeous, during the demo I felt like I was just amid an old dear friend, the game play is as usual interesting, engaging and what else can you expect from ERS

I just can not get enough of them, at least for now, I have to confess that I will be the biggest critic if any game from them do not met what I love so much about their games.

The game fills my screen nicely, I played in easy mode and it was just so relaxing but enjoyable, I will try hard mode next.

I have nothing else to say, a buy it is.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 5, 12 11:45 AM
This is a GREAT game. I would rate it a five star.---------Doug

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Jul 5, 12 12:14 PM
Very, very, very nice game! The demo went so fast, (played in advance mode), beautiful graphics, nice scenery, intriguing storytale, nice music and sounds efxs, the puzzles and minigames are not too difficult,(as some fishes stated) but are news and deversive from the usual! Moreover we can get it with the special for the 4th July weekend celebrations! Thanks BFG and ERS for this " Super game"! Happy weekend to all in the forum!!

Mogwa
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by Mogwa on Jul 5, 12 12:35 PM
Enjoyed the game. A lot of back and forth but still a nice play. I like the other Grim Facade titles and other ERS games as well. A nice addition to this developer's line of games. Bonus chapter play was almost as long as the game!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 5, 12 12:45 PM
Guess I'm the odd man out. Okay, how many of us would spend time trying to find something to pick up a piece of broken glass that we might remotely need some time in the future? Then jump through several hoops to get a key to a gate when the wall to the right of the gate you could just step over? Why are you obsessesed about breaking into a wine cask that is sitting on apath that a body was just dragged down? I know how the shop thing works from the first Grim game, but this time I had no clue what I was supposed to buy. In the first Grim game it was obvious; it was the only thing you had enough money for. I admit I didn't look to see howm uch money I had; I just couldn't decide between the saw, the scythe and playing the jukebox. I could have used a token for the machine outside but there wasn't one anywhere I could find.

How many dogs were there, or were they all the same dog?

So a shopkeeper keeps his shop on an estate that keeps its gates locked?

My logic-meter has just exploded. Was there a plot?

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jul 5, 12 12:52 PM
No surprise I LOVE it - but did go back in again after demoing & buying to see just how much I love it before writing my review

I will say I've always been OK with the "usual" H0 scenes - though the "find 10 of X" ones are difficult enough & unique enough I'm not over this particular change.

So far the graphics in this game are top notch - even by ERS standards - which we all agree are stunning. Still...some of their games are "just-that-much-more" stunning than others & this is one of those (as was Maestro: Notes of Life)!

As with the graphics it seems the devs put their all into this one, all kinds of unique interactions, the fans, different types of H0 scenes, coin collecting - heck even the menu is quite animated!

Oh yes - and thus far quite a compelling story! This one may take me forever to play as I'll really want to take my time and enjoy every detail!

Happy Gaming All!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 5, 12 1:07 PM
Another winner from ERS games...but is it worth the extra money for the CE? I think I will wait for the SE version to come on.

Jman8099
Guppy
Guppy
105 Posts

[Post New]by Jman8099 on Jul 5, 12 1:49 PM

Edited on 07/08/2012 at 5:07:07 AM PST

Go to: