Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

Comments For Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles Forum

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 5, 12 12:59 AM
A new nonogram game! Definitely going to give this one a try.

I checked it out on another game portal and they've got a screenshot there that show a 25x25 grid for one of the levels, so I'm guessing they increase in difficulty as the game progressing.

Looks like there are the nonogram/pictograph puzzles, hidden object scenes, mini-puzzles and achievements in this one, according to another site.

Edited on 07/05/2012 at 1:04:28 AM PST

jinocchio49
Flounder
Flounder
2,255 Posts

Re:Comments For Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles Forum

[Post New]by jinocchio49 on Jul 5, 12 1:30 AM
What a great surprise this game turned out to be! As Bpup already said, it has hidden object plus nonograms and also some inlay puzzles and who knows what else, as I got so caught up in the game my demo was over before I knew it. If you like World Mosaics and World Riddles I think you will like this one too and I actually enjoyed that they put the hidden object scenes in there too and they are the silhouette type that I like. Kudos to the devs, keep 'em coming!!

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 5, 12 1:44 AM
Ooh, I was going to check this out after TGT, but looks like I might play this one first - especially if there are 25X25 grids.

[Post New]by taxitim3 on Jul 5, 12 1:56 AM
i really like 5this game,the only negative for me is the achievments are not in english,so no idea what i did to get them.

prchalpn
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,132 Posts

[Post New]by prchalpn on Jul 5, 12 2:22 AM
I noticed there is an hourglass timer. Or is it just to tell you how long your taking?

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Jul 5, 12 2:38 AM
No worries, the timer is just for telling you how long your taking. You can play at your own pace.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 12 4:09 AM
I have noticed that the names for the Awards are in Spanish. So I am guessing this is a Spanish-speaking developer who has forgotten to translate the names into English.

Very much enjoy this game though, Spanish or no Spanish for the Award names.

oct2447
Stingray
Stingray
5,937 Posts

[Post New]by oct2447 on Jul 5, 12 7:03 AM
I am looking for a traeasure hunting themed game to round out our summer program offerings..........is this game appropriate for 6 to 10 year olds in terms of content and difficulty?

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 12 7:25 AM
oct2447 wrote:I am looking for a traeasure hunting themed game to round out our summer program offerings..........is this game appropriate for 6 to 10 year olds in terms of content and difficulty?

This is not really a treasure-hunting game in the sense you might mean. This is mainly a nonogram puzzle, where you get grid after grid and have to fill in the numbers and empty spaces. So I wouldn't have thought that this is a game for young children. But that's just what I think. Maybe you want to give the demo a go and judge for yourself.

Lyndy20
Clownfish
Clownfish
543 Posts

[Post New]by Lyndy20 on Jul 5, 12 9:29 AM
I am on the fence with this. I demoed it at another site and decided to think about it until it showed up at BF.

Well, here it is and I am still thinking. Now, I did like the demo, particularly the hidden object scenes (I do like the silhouette style) and mini-games.

My dilemma is with the nonogram puzzles (also known as Hanjie here in the UK). I am an avid fan of this type of puzzle, but have always strictly been a paper and pencil person. When I come across games like this and the World Mosaics and Riddles, I am very tempted to get them but the voice of reason starts yapping in my head "why do you want to do them on screen when you have piles of them on paper?" Equally, I tend mostly to do larger puzzles, 50x60 and upwards, so the yappy voice tries to convince me that the puzzles in these games might be too small and easy.

I am drawn to this game, though. Should I spank that yappy voice just this once? Maybe I'll wait a while and perhaps you guys can let me know what the difficulty levels are like as the game progresses.

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

[Post New]by Bpup on Jul 5, 12 9:56 AM
As someone who played the World Riddles and World Mosaics games first, and learned about nonograms that way, and then bought the paper book versions, I have to say, I like the computer versions better.

Pro:
- Blocks are larger and easier to see
- Have the ability to mark both the filled (picture) and non-filled (blank) blocks
- The ability to earn hints
- Fun to mark a complete row all at once
- No pencil eraser marks dirtying up the grid
- Ability to use right and left mouse buttons
- The World Mosaics games have bonus puzzles that just about duplicate the length of the game

Con:
- Initial level grids are small for beginning players, which is boring for experienced ones
- Grids usually just go up to a maximum of 20x20 or 25x25

Cards13
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

Other Nonograms - Try Gemsweeper

[Post New]by Cards13 on Jul 5, 12 10:19 AM
I see several people mentioning World Mosaics as another game of this type, but if you want LARGE ones I suggest you check out Gemsweeper. While Gemswseeper also starts out small, the last third of the game is 25 by 50 or even larger. AND you can go thru the game many times as each time thru you are given fewer "error fixers" (called glue in the game to fix broken tiles - but error fixers are what they do.)

And if you do run out of "error fixers" you do not need to start over from the beginning of the game - you can continue from the beginning of the level you lost at. There are literally about 200 puzzles (or more) before it starts over again but with fewer helpers.

Also Gemsweeper has an additional game that I for one would very much like to see any other Nonogram game offer. The basic rules are the same but when you completely identify a row or a column (identify in that you have marked the contents of all the squares in a row or a column) the row or column is removed from the board and replaced with a another row or column that is totally unidentified. On the early levels the grid is 5 by 5 and you must identify so many boxes to move to the next grid which is 6 by 6. Then the next grid is 7 by 7 and it continues until you get to 15 by 15? (or so) but then it ends. I would love the game to continue and continue until you have 5 errors but that is just a wish at this point. Gemsweeper's Arcade mode continues until you make 5 errors or complete the last level. There is a timer but it is so generous as to not be an issue - and the unused time at a level carrys over to the next level so that in the later levels you can literally have 30 minutes or more to complete 1 level - with the unused time carried over to the next and 10 minutes added, etc.

Maybe someone else can better describ this "Arcade" mode in Gemsweeper - but if anyone knows of a similar game either here at Big Fish or just the name of the game Please PM message me as I truly enjoy this "Arcade" ModeGemsweeper.

This game was a pleasant surprise as it also has the other games added.

Good Job

Edited on 07/05/2012 at 10:23:31 AM PST

pinkelastik
Squid
Squid
71 Posts

[Post New]by pinkelastik on Jul 7, 12 8:50 AM
MildewWolf wrote:I love these nonogram/picross puzzles - I started off doing them every Saturday in the newspaper but then I needed a bigger fix so I bought a few books. Since then I've played Picross DS to death, imported Playstation games from Japan (where they're known as oekaki puzzles) and bought the Japanese Mario Oekaki puzzle on the Wii Virtual Console. And now I've become a fishie, I'm delighted to see some of those wonderful puzzles on here. I'm just about to try this game out and then I'm going to check out the other games mentioned here - thanks for the suggestions. Any other games I should be looking out for?

There is another one that I have (which unfortunately isn't sold on BigFish) called Color Cross. If you do a search for it you should be able to find the site to buy it.

[Post New]by weelassy on Jul 7, 12 4:53 PM
I love the game it is long needed, sometimes you just need a break from HOG's and this does give you a break but still gives you a little fix of HOS.

Funny that everyone is saying the achievements are not in English mine are in English, I did not get mine through BFG so maybe that is the difference. There is a version out there that is in English.

However you are not really missing much in the achievements because it does not really tell you what you did to get the achievement anyway.

Anyway enjoy the game all I know I am.

Wee

[Post New]by xXxJdZanexXx on Jul 12, 12 10:58 AM
Hi guys! Just an FYI, the awards are in portuguese. If you have an Android phone, just open up google translate, let it detect the language and translate to english, and type in what you see! They're pretty standard awards, but it's nice to finally be able to see what they are for!

[Post New]by midnightmoose on Jul 17, 12 12:05 AM
Love it, bought it! Developers, I just have one complaint. The backgrounds of some of the levels are so busy that I can't see the tiles (especially the black ones). This became more of an issue as the boards became smaller. I would love to see more of these games, but please put a neutral background behind the boards! My eyes are not as good as they used to be!

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Jul 18, 12 2:29 AM
It took me way over 10 hours to finish Arizona Rose in casual mode (easy mode). If someone made it in 10 hours then I must congratulate to that person. Either genius or didn't watch the clock ;-)

Anyway, now I am playing in hard mode and already are in for over 10 hours and still not finished the game. Great replay value.

Ayla1402
Clownfish
Clownfish
580 Posts

[Post New]by Ayla1402 on Jul 20, 12 10:32 AM
There is a game named Animal Color Cross on the german site. In the options you can change the language to english. You switch between different color tubes to solve the grids.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jul 24, 12 1:22 PM

Many people compare this game to Gemsweeper; THIS game is FAR BETTER than that game because you don't have an idiot professor popping up making stupid comments AND this game's got a storyline and it sticks to it.

This game is more like the World Mosaics games but with a TWIST -- if you use the hook to open empty spaces before and after placing the tiles, you could end up picking up rocks which in turn knocks into the treasure chest; too many rocks damaging the treasure chest means smashing said chest and having to start the level over again.

So what do you do? PAY ATTENTION and REMEMBER where there are empty spaces WITHOUT making them empty and to be honest, I found it fairly easy to do As a matter of fact, I found it easier to do each nonogram than to do the inlay puzzles and the mosaic-type puzzles which can be skipped.

Besides having 4 hints (which rarely refills) you've got 5 power-ups (which do refill) which are:
Sword -- CAN use to show empty spaces WITHOUT picking up rocks
Medallion -- randomly places tiles
Map -- will either SAFELY clear empty spaces or fill in tiles 4x4
Skull -- will fill in tiles horizontally
Pouch -- will fill in tiles vertically

Actually you might have 6 power-ups because I don't think it was a pouch that filled in the tiles vertically.

The one thing that I found was your computer cursor (I did have the game's cursor for a while but then it reverted to the computer one and I could find no way to switch it back to the game's) BE CAREFUL when picking up board tokens -- seahorse, starfish, etc. which are rewards for placing so many tiles correctly; said tokens have to be picked up either with the hand (which means you're placing a tile) or with the hook (which will SAFELY -- no rocks -- clear empty tiles). I say be careful because several times I THOUGHT that I'd switched to the hook -- never used it for any other purpose -- but hadn't clicked hard enough and my cursor didn't switch and I lost the token. Using the computer cursor does not allow it to visually change to hand nor hook.

There are 11 stages with 20 levels in each starting with 10x10 (I think) and ending with 25x25. I usually started with the highest number possible and if I made too many mistakes EARLY enough in the level, I would click the Menu bar and then click restart level and correctly place the tiles and continue; long game.

MEnr56

joyce2121
Manatee
Manatee
4,490 Posts

[Post New]by joyce2121 on Aug 5, 12 10:29 AM
MEnr56

Rather than using the hand or hook icons, I use my left and right
mouse buttons: left for hand; right for hook; that way I'm not
confused what icon I'm using.

Go to: