bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 12 1:01 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Arizona Rose and the Pirates' Riddles

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 5, 12 1:02 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Jul 5, 12 1:50 AM
I played the hour demo, and immediately bought it. It's a Gemsweeper type game, and those are sooo rare that I have to have this one!

James_Kit
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by James_Kit on Jul 5, 12 2:15 AM
This is the best nonogram or picross game I ever played. It has grids starting from 5x5 in easy mode for those that are not familiar with this games, and from 10x10 in hard mode, and the difficulty increases to 25x25. Beside nonogram levels there are also hidden object scenes, inlay puzzles and one more I don't know how to call.

The story is very well blended into the game. Art is very good. I bought it after demoing it and don't regret.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 5, 12 2:21 AM
This game is similar and plays like the "World Riddles" series.

But apart from having to fill squares, you also get a HOS (hidden object scene) at the beginning of each level.

To finish the level, you play a mini game, which can be skipped after a short while.

This game comes with a choice of custom or system cursor.

There is an option for widescreen, but didn't do anything for me.

There are lots of awards to be won.

There are 2 gameplay modes: Casual (tutorial and easy levels at the beginning), and Hard (no tutorial and hard levels from the start).

There is a timer, but it goes up.

While playing, you will get objects that will help you with your gemsweeping games. For example, you will get a medallion, which will randomly fill spaces in your play area.

All in all a nice surprise, especially since this is a soft release.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 5, 12 8:46 AM
this game reminded us of a game called gemsweep. it is not our cup of tea. if you like that type of game you will admire this game.--------doug & lisa

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Jul 5, 12 10:08 AM
Enjoyed the demo - I enjoy this type of puzzle game and was happy to see the controls matched the World Riddles style and not the other ones I've tried that were a little different. It's nice having the other puzzles tossed in at the start and end of each level. Am definitely considering picking this game up so I can finish it.

murphy1923
Squid
Squid
74 Posts

[Post New]by murphy1923 on Jul 5, 12 1:12 PM
I love this type of logic puzzle, and have all the Mosaic and Gemsweeper-type that I can find! Nice integration of story and puzzles, though the story is more of a "rest stop" between levels of puzzles to give your brain a little break.
I did get concerned when I did puzzles that could have more than one solution, and I had to guess - I usually pride myself on no hints, no clues, and no mistakes, but I found myself in a quandary over this. Bought it anyway, and hope for the best.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 5, 12 2:51 PM
Another great game. Like that it's logic and object game. Great music and the pirate theme is always a plus for me.. Give it a try, think you will find it refreshing from the same ole same ole... Give it 3 out of 5 stars..

sadeyes0722
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by sadeyes0722 on Jul 5, 12 4:08 PM
love this game. bought it when demo ended. hour went by so fast. I love that they are like the world mosaics puzzles. only thing I don't like is the awards are not in english. have fun with the game.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Jul 5, 12 8:32 PM
Excellent graphics grace this brain teaser. Unfortunately there can be more than one solution to some levels which requires guesswork instead of the pure logic that is the hallmark for a picacross puzzle.

And if you happen to choose an alternate solution (which is also correct), the game will list it as an error. Also, the awards are written in Spanish, so I had no idea what I won or why.

I would recommend the "World Mosaic" series which only has one logical solution for each level and is written in English.

Edited on 07/06/2012 at 12:34:15 AM PST

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 11, 12 10:57 AM
I usually don't like this type of game, but after the demo, I HAD to buy it. I played all the levels in casual mode and it is a great game!

mamamaggie
Marlin
Marlin
9,501 Posts

[Post New]by mamamaggie on Jul 12, 12 6:44 AM
If you love nonagram games, you will love this one. The games range from easy/tutorial to moderately hard, but solvable and there are some HOS for those who absolutely need a hidden object to find. They are, however, easy. It took me probably 10 hours to finish and I find these games replayable.

A nice touch is that if you mess up too many times (SPOILER) you can go to the main menu, hit 'play' and then 'continue', it will take you back to your board, where you left off. Do it too often and the board will lock up. Exit and restart.

Why the awards are in Spanish, I have no clue, and I am woefully illiterate in that language. I was awarded the nervos de bronze many times, and I am gratified to find that I have nerves of bronze.

The best part is the ending!!!!!!! Best ending in a game I have EVER seen, bar none! You gotta finish this just to see it.

MEnr56
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,984 Posts

[Post New]by MEnr56 on Jul 24, 12 1:16 PM

Many people compare this game to Gemsweeper; THIS game is FAR BETTER than that game because you don't have an idiot professor popping up making stupid comments AND this game's got a storyline and it sticks to it.

This game is more like the World Mosaics games but with a TWIST -- if you use the hook to open empty spaces before and after placing the tiles, you could end up picking up rocks which in turn knocks into the treasure chest; too many rocks damaging the treasure chest means smashing said chest and having to start the level over again.

So what do you do? PAY ATTENTION and REMEMBER where there are empty spaces WITHOUT making them empty and to be honest, I found it fairly easy to do As a matter of fact, I found it easier to do each nonogram than to do the inlay puzzles and the mosaic-type puzzles which can be skipped.

Besides having 4 hints (which rarely refills) you've got 5 power-ups (which do refill) which are:
Sword -- CAN use to show empty spaces WITHOUT picking up rocks
Medallion -- randomly places tiles
Map -- will either SAFELY clear empty spaces or fill in tiles 4x4
Skull -- will fill in tiles horizontally
Pouch -- will fill in tiles vertically

Actually you might have 6 power-ups because I don't think it was a pouch that filled in the tiles vertically.

The one thing that I found was your computer cursor (I did have the game's cursor for a while but then it reverted to the computer one and I could find no way to switch it back to the game's) BE CAREFUL when picking up board tokens -- seahorse, starfish, etc. which are rewards for placing so many tiles correctly; said tokens have to be picked up either with the hand (which means you're placing a tile) or with the hook (which will SAFELY -- no rocks -- clear empty tiles). I say be careful because several times I THOUGHT that I'd switched to the hook -- never used it for any other purpose -- but hadn't clicked hard enough and my cursor didn't switch and I lost the token. Using the computer cursor does not allow it to visually change to hand nor hook.

There are 11 stages with 20 levels in each starting with 10x10 (I think) and ending with 25x25. I usually started with the highest number possible and if I made too many mistakes EARLY enough in the level, I would click the Menu bar and then click restart level and correctly place the tiles and continue; long game.

MEnr56

amaryken8
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by amaryken8 on Aug 14, 12 11:10 AM
thanks for the help !!! Has anyone here won all the awards ? I've been able to win all but two, so does anyone here know if its best when you have made a mistake , if its better to go to restart the level or to go to the map, as far as winning awards ?I'd appreciate your input !!!

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Aug 16, 12 12:20 PM
I made the mistake of starting in casual, because I wanted to see the tutorial. ( I always look at the tutorial just in case there is something unexpected about the game.) This starts you off in VERY easy levels. On that mode I got through 46 of the 110 levels in 40 minutes.

I restarted in Hard mode and it was much more challenging and enjoyable, although the HOG scenes were identical.

The graphics were a bit grainy, there's no widescreen even though that is one of the choices, and the music on some levels was on a very short loop. It took me a while to get used to the astroturf texture on the revealed tiles.

The HOGS (with a bit of FROG) are easy and you can skip the puzzles. Still, I liked it, as I really like this kind of puzzle.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Dec 10, 12 5:05 PM
This is a great game! I don't know what people are talking about with the more than one solution idea because that's not true... at least not in the main grid puzzles. (I don't even think that would be possible.) Also some of the harder levels aren't meant to be solved without using the power-ups, they are part of the game. But it's easy to finish with no hints. The hints are just basically bonuses if you want them. Also includes some hidden object scenes and mosaic tile mini-games that can be skipped.

One of the best logic games here (WAY better than the World Mosaic games!) and well worth buying.

Oh for the widescreen you have to uncheck the widescreen option although my game did it automatically for my widescreen monitor. Story is good and graphics are nice.

PS: You HAVE to play just to see the ending... it's AWESOME!!! Has to be one of the best endings ever.

ETA: Maybe there was an update because my awards are all in English... oh and yes I did get them all.

Edited on 12/10/2012 at 5:06:55 PM PST

ahiler
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ahiler on Nov 23, 13 4:53 PM
This particular type of puzzle is new to me, & I want more! Are there other games available using the same type of puzzle? Does this type of puzzle have a name? I seem to be getting addicted to it, & will have to start over again when I use them up. It would be nice if others were available.

notdeadyet
Guppy
Guppy
163 Posts

[Post New]by notdeadyet on Mar 30, 14 7:06 PM
I enjoyed this game although the hidden object sites are very dark. The hints help for the deep shows though.' I had to put my brightness at it's full level to see some things.
The mini games are well lit and interesting.
The charts with the numbers are really good. The squares are
large and more easily than in other games like this. I like the feature where the square disappears instead of leaving an x or check mark.
For some unknown reason this game is easier that other games of this type.

Go to: