bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

Finished!

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 4, 09 2:04 PM
I finished the game. it has good and bad points. I like the idea, and I like the puzzles where you find parts and then use them. I liked No Timer and being able to click as much as I liked with no apparent penalty. Games that penalize you for lots of clicking really annoy me, especially when the objects are tiny or the scenes are very dark.

I was disappointed when i finished and clicked on the Mini-Games option on the Main Menu. I expected to be able to play the games in the game but all I got was two Pong type games. I had enough Pong years ago to last me.

The game was a bit short even for me but I got my money's worth. It has little Replay Value for me as I see there being no variation in game play the second time around. I suspect the puzzles and objects will all be the same but i will at least start over to see.

I got really tired of the Map game. One of the designers must have really enjoyed it to put it in so many times. I could see where I needed to go but if I made what apparently was a wrong move I had to start over again, therefore, I only was able to solve one of those maps. I just got really tired of starting over.

That brings me to my last complaint re the minis. Why do we have to start over at the beginning when we make an error? Defusing the Bomb had three parts. I could get the first two parts easily. The third part, cutting the wire, I was uncertain which "connection" I was looking for. Was it from the left to the right or were some of those other "plugs" part of it? I did the whole thing over three times before Skipping. At least then I was shown the solution and, it was one I had tried but didn't work for me (must have done something wrong, I guess).

Another thing that bothered me was the inability to use the Hints when I needed them. I had plenty of them, but it seems like they were always locked so they were of no Help to me. The Skip button was also an incredibly long loader. I read a book while waiting.

Overall, this is an interesting game but, for me, the bad/frustrating parts outweighed the good things. As I said, I did get my money's worth but it was not as enjoyable as I had hoped.

Ses2689
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
10 Posts

Re:Finished!

[Post New]by Ses2689 on Feb 4, 09 2:52 PM
To me this is a click fest game. The mini games were beyond logic at points. Actually the whole plot was puzzling at times. I don't think I will play the game again. It didn't entertain me much, but wasted a few hours of my time. But, wait...I play Big Fish to be puzzled and because I have time to waste. I just wasn't too amused while playing this game. Actually my fustration level was high, at times.

On a lighter note, the graphics are top notch. Ease of navigation is second notch, overall the game was worth the money.

To me the road building was a breeze...just be aware that you can place any of the directional pieces anywhere on the map, one does not have to follow a path from start to finish. The most frustrating mini for me was the lab tonic machine with the blinking green light. Whats up with that? Click fest #1. And I agree with the final puzzle frustation. While trying to defuse the bomb, one may want to defuse their computer, because one may have to redo the sequence numerous times. And whats up with the lights in the squares sequence , no logic with on and off partitions, click fest #2!

Looking back the game has some very unique parts. Just be prepared for an amazing and possible frustrating journey.

john_murray2
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by john_murray2 on Feb 4, 09 3:03 PM
excuse me bribling how did you defuse the time bomb where nick has to defuse the bomb it telss you to match the two numbers how do i do that?

ADTech
Herring
Herring
374 Posts

[Post New]by ADTech on Feb 4, 09 3:05 PM
Excellent post. I am just starting this game and appreciate the time and effort you put in to your detailed and informative critique of this game. We need more posts like this that are professionally written and give the reader usefull information. So far it looks like a good game but will wait until after I have completed it, especially after reading your post. Great job, need more people to give detailed comments on games rather than just saying "dreadfull" or "great game".

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 4, 09 3:26 PM
john_murray2 wrote:excuse me bribling how did you defuse the time bomb where nick has to defuse the bomb it telss you to match the two numbers how do i do that?

The numbers are not an exact match. Match "44" with "IV", "66" with "VI", etc. Set the hands and then push the button to light up the two numbers then match two more numbers, etc. When you get them all, you will have another puzzle to solve which is a little harder and finally you will have to figure out which wire to cut. There is another post here that can help you with the wire cutting.

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 4, 09 3:28 PM
ADTech wrote:Excellent post...

Thank you! I do ramble on a bit but I also like to know more than just "Great" or just "Awful". Even the real clunkers deserve a bit more comment and this game is no clunker!

Debbie387
Minnow
Minnow
253 Posts

[Post New]by Debbie387 on Feb 6, 09 7:35 PM
I enjoyed this game as well, nice mix of "things to do" and puzzles. I also liked the "no timer" and I didn't use the hints much either. Couldn't do the third mini-game on the elevator which was turn on all the lights (I'm never any good at those). The map game drove me nuts but I did manage to get through them - need more time on those.

Just noticed I've morphed to a squid, eek!!

bribling
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,396 Posts

[Post New]by bribling on Feb 7, 09 12:48 PM
Debbie387 wrote:Just noticed I've morphed to a squid, eek!!

Keep posting Debbie and soon you will be a nice red Lobster. That's when you will really be in Hot Water

[Post New]by CRAFTYLADY98 on Feb 26, 09 6:10 PM
lol bribling. cute about the hot water.

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 5, 09 3:25 AM
Honestly, I found very few good points to this game. Any good story line was wiped out by choppy graphics and an annoying twirling magnifying glass as a cursor. Due to the spinning of the glass, it sometimes requires several clicks to "grab" an object if you happen to click at the wrong part of the twirl.

The solutions to the puzzles in most cases were quite obvious but required some gaming dexterity and/or relatively good eyesight, neither of which is good for the older population. So, if your hand was shaking or you weren't quite fast enough, you start the entire puzzle all over. The "skip puzzle" button has an inordinately LONG reset timer. I played the game a second time just to see how the timer worked since I didn't skip anything the first time. I fixed a sandwich & ate it while waiting to see just how long the timer would take. When I came back, the timer STILL hadn't reset! I ended up just doing the puzzle. It was faster than waiting for the timer.

Why BF has this listed in the HO category is beyond me (it's actually listed in both HO and adventure). I agree with other posts that BF needs to make a sub-genre for games like Nick Chase. Due to it's VERY linear design and obvious puzzle solutions (even if you couldn't get to the bush fast enough you knew you had to get there), it's really not an HO or an adventure game. Call it a hybrid. Something!

My biggest issue with the game, overall, was that I finished the game in just over an hour without skipping a single puzzle. Not worth the game credit, in my opinion. Not to mention, because the game is SO linear, there is little or no replay value unless you want to do the exact same scenarios over & over trying for a worthless "gold star". The "mini-games" are mini-versions of the old Atari pong games. Two of them. WOW.

I would definitely play this one on trial before buying. For those of you who like the adventure-type similar to Sherlock Holmes large files games but don't quite have the patience for them, this game might be a good alternative. For those serious adventure gamers who can easily get through the more difficult games, this game will leave you feeling cheated and annoyed. If HO is your thing, you probably will not enjoy this game.

Edited on 03/05/2009 at 3:33:59 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Mar 5, 09 5:13 AM
i have a big problem:when i want to leave the game to do something else,and when i want to play it again,there no save!i have to replay at the first scene at the office!boring to pick 20 blue envelopes again and again!has any one had same problem?i don't want to do the game in one time!!!

Edited on 03/05/2009 at 5:14:13 AM PST

mintjulelip
Minnow
Minnow
232 Posts

[Post New]by mintjulelip on Mar 5, 09 5:34 AM
I have seen numerous other posts about not being able to save the game. Since I played it straight through, I never tried to save the game so I can't be of any assistance to you. They're great here about getting back to you quickly on any issues so I am sure someone will post soon and give you some advice or help in saving your game. I can't tell you my level of annoyance with some of the issues with this game and I am now so thankful I did play straight through because I would literally have <banged head on computer screen> if I had lost my progress and had to repeat everything all over again. Good luck to you!

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 5, 09 11:34 PM
It doesn't save the exact spot where you leave off, it always goes back to the beginning of that chapter. You just have to become aware of when a new chapter starts, so you can exit before you do any work on that area if you need to exit.

As I recall, a new chapter begins with the drawings and Nick speaking about the next move in his investigation.

[Post New]by angeldei on Mar 6, 09 9:44 PM
help! i can do all quite easily except the lab, making that photo ID. i got the pic, but can't seem to print the ltrs onto the machine. what am i missing? would appreciate any help!

[Post New]by angeldei on Mar 17, 09 12:36 AM
well i did finish. i was missing the "blank" letter piece when i was making the words for the ID in the lab. i loved the game, with the many different puzzles...not too difficult. only thing i hated...TOO SHORT! i couldn't believe it was over, once i got the hang of it.

Go to: