Where did it go?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

Re:Dangerous High School Girls???

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 4, 09 2:27 PM
From the cafe:

Purplerabbit wrote:Oh, weird! Try to find Dangerous High School Girls. It's not in the list for Card and Board games (its new genre). It's not in the All Games list. It's not even in the new releases calendar!
The only way to d/l it is to go in the forum for the game and click Try Game.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Feb 4, 09 2:29 PM
So is that going to be the only way to locate it? Are there other games like that where they disappeared from the mail list, and you can only find them in forums???

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 4, 09 2:32 PM
I don't think Redrum was 'moved' yet that was very controversial.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Feb 4, 09 2:33 PM
The name itself would keep me from that game What was the controversy with that one, subject matter or graphics?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 4, 09 2:40 PM
Subject matter, a girl being used by a doctor to get money by performing an unneccesary lobotomy.

lordkalvan
Stingray
Stingray
5,577 Posts

[Post New]by lordkalvan on Feb 4, 09 2:43 PM
Sure looks strange to see a date missing in the "new releases" page. I can sort of understand somebody at BFG deciding it wasn't quite the sort of thing they wanted to sell - but they should have made that decision (either way it was done) before releasing it.

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Feb 4, 09 3:29 PM
I thought they did beta testing, so wouldn't they see the possible backlash before releasing it? Unless that group of beta testers did not see an issue...

GeeBee
Narwhal
Narwhal
32,109 Posts

[Post New]by GeeBee on Feb 4, 09 3:32 PM
No thank you!

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Feb 4, 09 4:00 PM
I am *extremely* dissapointed in for knuckling under to pressure by people who didn't even take the time to play the game but reacted to a title and poor (original) description. This game is an extremely tame social commentary spoof set in the 20s and, in a very light humorous stlye, addressing stuff that was going on then. It is a game for grown-ups not because of content but because most young people would find it dead boring as it is really a logic/adventure game and the deeper narrative would be completely lost on most. Personally if I had a teenage daughter and she got this game enough to enjoy it I'd be very proud of her. There was far more "gritty" adult stuff in Nick Chase, Redrum and for *sure* RTR than Dangerous High School Girls.

If this is in fact censorship and not some sort of glitch or contractural thing than has fallen many notches in my book. Let people police their own freakin' kids. I'm a grown-up. DO NOT make my decisions for me.

...and now I will be stepping away from the pond for a while because I am really dissapointed.

Edited on 02/04/2009 at 4:07:00 PM PST

Rose427
Stingray
Stingray
4,519 Posts

[Post New]by Rose427 on Feb 4, 09 4:13 PM
I think by removing traces of the game on most of the site, they have just brought it back into topic, so I guess it will remain in the forums, sort of has to be somewhere right since people have bought the game?

I saw some things that I didn't personally agree with, but in the end I don't have to play the game. It did have clever points though I thought, so it was not the worst game, I could find other games to find fault with

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Feb 10, 09 6:29 AM
I feel very sad for whoever was responsible for getting us this game; they manage to get an award winning game that's something different and get crucified instead of thanked. I'm not trying to say that everyone should like every game, I haven't even played it myself but there was so much really mean negativity about it, for the most part from people who hadn't even played it. Not trying to censor anyone's opinion but I think the reaction was overboard and I still need to contact customer support to see why it won't play on my computer.

Lol I'll probably hate it but then I'm carp at anything but match three's and HO's usually.

slm1948
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
490 Posts

[Post New]by slm1948 on Feb 10, 09 7:37 AM
Well, BFG was going to upset people no matter which way they went on this one so you can bet our games will be more tightly censored in the future to prevent such controversies. Count me as one of the people BFG decided they'd rather upset.

I bought this game, but haven't finished it. It's stupid and boring, but I liked being able to buy it if I'm dumb enough to do so.

I was a teenager in the 1960's. I was never a hippy, a radical, nor did I do drugs. But I did embrace the live-and-let-live attitude. What went so wrong? Why is everyone up in everyone else's business today?

I've enjoyed swimming in this little pond , but I've got my eyes open for a river. I need more freedom.

ripple76
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
19 Posts

[Post New]by ripple76 on Feb 10, 09 9:21 AM
If you ban it, I will come (paraphrasing "Field of Dreams"). Ban a book? I'll read it. Censor a game? I'll buy it. Even though I was only mildly entertained when I played the demo, I have now purchased this game. I also own Redrum. I get annoyed when the noisy few dictate to the silent many. I know I'll enjoy this game more just because a few people found the description offensive. If they demo and don't like it - that's fine, but all the silliness seems to come from those who didn't play the demo.

I'll get off the soapbox now and go play my new game.

[Post New]by StrawberryDots on Feb 11, 09 9:03 PM
I joined this site specifically for the purpose of downloading this game. Now it seems I can't get it (I've tried clicking on "Try this game" and still don't see a link for downloading). I've found a couple of other places online to get it for $9.99, so I'm extra disappointed that I signed up for a year of Big Fish games. 12 months of seek-and-finds and match-ems? Damn.

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,855 Posts

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 7:27 AM
This is ridiculous. Finally something besides a TM, HO, Match 3 or large file game, finally something new and clever, and what happens? A few people squawk and an award-winning, original, really different game is yanked away from us.

Dangerous High School Girls In Trouble has been available for months elsewhere. The game has been hailed everywhere for its originality. I don't see why it's so controversial here. Gamezebo has the same dempgraphic and people there went bonkers (in a good way) over it.

Think about Ravenhearst. Spousal abuse, murder, smoking paraphernalia (gasp!)lying around everywhere. Or Women's Murder Club. Grisly scenes of homicide victims for our entertainment.

And what are TM games teaching our children? That you can work at a diner and charge a hundred bucks for a hamburger. Where is the outrage?

I'm buying DHSG right now, if I can, just to make a point. If anyone at Mousechief is still paying any attention to BF, I'm sorry you guys are unappreciated here.

rvalot
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,855 Posts

[Post New]by rvalot on Feb 12, 09 7:31 AM
Ok. BF won't even sell me the game. I'm too angry to rant and rave in this section where nobody will see it.

dtouchton
Manatee
Manatee
4,156 Posts

[Post New]by dtouchton on Feb 12, 09 8:09 AM
I saw your rant, rv. I agree with you. Although, I didn't like the game it wasn't for the reasons people are upset about it. I just felt like I was playing Clue and didn't care for the style of game play. I don't like to have to read alot in a game (I AM an avid book reader). I just want to play.

I'm sorry felt the need to do this. Where will it stop?

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Feb 12, 09 8:42 AM
I'm so angry. I hope Poodle doesn't see this.

vicalana
Stingray
Stingray
5,296 Posts

[Post New]by vicalana on Feb 12, 09 8:51 AM
I'm sorry. And I reallly am sorry. But I agree with BF on this one. I didn't play the game on principle. I am a teacher. I know the game was mis-described. I assume some people enjoyed it and it was a good game. BUT we all know bullying goes on in school and at work. And it is horrible. RTR was always going to have horror aspects. I loved it! But it was fantasy. Bullying isn't. Basing a game on this premise is not helpful to those of us who struggle to combat bullying on a daily basis. And BF is so kind and welcoming. Look at customer support. They don't just sort you out. They always have kind comments too. We look after each other on this site. The ethos is one of kindness. That game was based on the opposite. It didn't belong here. I am totally against censorship. Tell me not to do it and I'm suddenly very interested in doing it on a what-the -hell basis. I AM sorry BF felt it necessary to remove this game. But it was, and I applaud them for doing it.

Go to: