Feedback with Blam! Games

BlamDev
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

Feedback with Blam! Games

[Post New]by BlamDev on Jul 10, 12 10:07 PM
Hey fishies!

It is great that you are playing in A Gnome's Home: The Great Crystal Crusade. Your advice can make our games better and give inspiration for us. If you have any questions on the game - feel free to ask.

Happy gaming!

With best regards,
Blam! Games.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Re:Feedback with Blam! Games

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 10, 12 10:19 PM
Hi BlamDev,
I see from the Reviews and Comments forums here that a number of players would have liked a "casual" or "untimed" mode for this Time Management game.
Maybe this could be considered next time?
Or maybe a longer timer?
Cheers

Edited on 07/10/2012 at 10:29:42 PM PST

sparkle76
Marlin
Marlin
9,781 Posts

[Post New]by sparkle76 on Jul 10, 12 10:26 PM
hi blamdev,
i have a question about level 22 - is it actually possible to get gold? i have got gold on all previous levels and have managed to get 1:39 for silver. a friend who is a total whiz with these types of games (and creates strategy guides for them) has managed to get 1:33 but still is only getting the silver star....
this level is causing a few of us to pull our hair out, lol!.....

BlamDev
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by BlamDev on Jul 10, 12 10:34 PM
Hi, DragonLadyOz!
Your questions is important, thanks. We think about changes - but can't promise that in this game this will be fixed.

Edited on 07/10/2012 at 10:39:20 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 12 12:06 AM
Hello BlamDev and welcome to the Pond...

I would have loved to buy this game, but unfortunately, because I am not able to continue the levels after the timer has ran out, I didn't.

As was said several times, there are quite a lot of gamers here who enjoy playing this type of game, but we don't want to or can't keep up with that timer. However, we do enjoy the gameplay, but would like to be able to get through each level at our own pace.

Apart from 1 or 2 games, I don't know of any newer games of this type where I wasn't able to continue after the timer has ran out. Being able to continue and finish a level seems to be the norm nowadays rather than the exception. So I was rather surprised to see that this was not one of those games.

Also, your last game came in widescreen, but this one doesn't...

Thanks for reading.

Valdy

BlamDev
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by BlamDev on Jul 11, 12 12:22 AM
Hello, Valdy!
Thanks for your advices, and be sure - our team will discuss them.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 11, 12 2:03 AM
I have to add my voice to those that have said this game would benefit greatly from having a relaxed mode. Aside from the obvious increase in sales from this site alone, being able to play the game without constantly watching the timer makes for a far less stressful experience.

As for the dreaded timer; it's far too harsh. I don't know how the time levels for the various stars were set but whoever did this must be Superman to get gold on some of them! I'm very used to quick clicking on this type of game but I found A Gnome's Home really difficult to get gold on almost any level.

Perhaps a walkthrough might be helpful; I love the game but not the stress!

BlamDev
Minnow
Minnow
229 Posts

[Post New]by BlamDev on Jul 11, 12 3:18 AM
angelfish106
Thanks for the opinion. Our team think about changes - but we can't promise that in this game this will be fixed.

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 11, 12 3:34 AM
I already mentioned this under the review thread but I too want to add my voice to the discussion. This game is really cute and would have been a purchase for me but many gamers, including myself, have physical limitations that prevent us from completing with a timer. Please know we still enjoy playing this type of game and many developers realize this and so allow game continuation even though we complete goals beyond the timer. The timer prevents us from enjoying your great game creation. Such a shame.

I am glad you have offered us a chance to 'talk' with you and hope you do take into consideration the needs of many casual gamers in this respect. Thanks for listening...

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 3:40 AM
angelfish106 wrote:I have to add my voice to those that have said this game would benefit greatly from having a relaxed mode. Aside from the obvious increase in sales from this site alone, being able to play the game without constantly watching the timer makes for a far less stressful experience.

As for the dreaded timer; it's far too harsh. I don't know how the time levels for the various stars were set but whoever did this must be Superman to get gold on some of them! I'm very used to quick clicking on this type of game but I found A Gnome's Home really difficult to get gold on almost any level.

Perhaps a walkthrough might be helpful; I love the game but not the stress!

LOL Angelfish, I agree with everything you say.

And like I wrote in another thread, since it took me the full 1-hour demo just to get gold in the first 5 levels... I guess I will need to practive a lot with my other TMs, before I feel like I can play this one

But then, if it's so difficult for everyone to get gold, it must be so much rewarding when we finally get it.... Well, it's just a question of balance. Still, 1 hour for only 5 golds... I'm not that patient !!

So sad, because apart from this, this game is so engaging, and has lots of features that I like.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 3:44:44 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 11, 12 5:09 AM
hi Blam!, just wanted to post here what i said elsewhere,,though i liked the game a lot,,,,there were some negatives

i love the game...and will muddle thru till a walkthru is out....the timer for gold is rather strict. and the fact that you cant continue after gold will turn many players away, (not me tho,,,i am desperate for a game) also, you cannot chain tasks...(both things mentioned should be standard in builders imo).
those aside...its very cute....and at 65 levels, quite long (as some devs seem to think 40 is the norm) There are achievments to get, the animations are cute....an instant buy for me.....

(after finishing)
ok...this is a big dissappointment,,,,most games with a timer....i go back and replay missed levels after i have finished the main game to get gold, and earned all the powerups...well....in this one...when you go back...you only have the power ups, that you have earned to that level, ie...level 6 you earn shoes to make your workers faster..well when i returned thats all i had was the shoes...usually devs make it so you can use all powerups earned during the game in the earlier levels to get gold score...as it stands...i see no way to get gold on all levels...probably wont be a game i will replay...shame......

although i did do all the levels in time and didnt have to replay any...half the fun of these games is replaying for gold..(which i have very few of)

laeddie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,053 Posts

[Post New]by laeddie on Jul 11, 12 9:30 AM
Blamdev I always am suprised when a dev actually asked us players for comments but am also greatly appreciative. Thank You! Count me among the players who think the time is much to short to get gold but I can live with that, BUT I will not buy games that require me to replay levels that I failed at. I pay for the game and I want the whole game. There is no need for devs to create games that many of us cannot (for various reasons) complete levels. You need to recognize that players vary greatly in age dexterity etc. Please (is possible) update this game so I and evidently many others can/want to buy. Thanks again.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 9:35 AM
Thank-you for taking this genre but making it a bit different.

I will assume that you are following the review thread too so I won't repeat my full review here.

I personally love the game exactly as it is and I am begging you please DON'T lengthen the gold star timers. It makes a nice change for a road clearing game to have to be more strategic about it to make gold instead of knowing I'll make it easily enough if I just plod along clearing things as quickly as possible in any old order. Anyway - isn't that the point of having 3 levels - so that there are different levels of challenge to cater for players of different experience/ability levels?

I had seen screen prints of this game but expected not to be interested because I find the genre a bit samey these days. As soon as I read that it wasn't a walkover to get gold I just had to demo and ........... I LOVE IT (did I mention that already ).

But, although I would be very very disappointed if the gold times were lengthened, I have to say that I think you missed a trick in not allowing play to continue after the timer runs out.

This genre has really taken off, in part due to lots of new fans who came to it because they found they could enjoy these games if the time pressure was removed.

So if you were to develop a patch to make it possible to play it effectively untimed it would be a win-win-win situation:

* people who can only enjoy untimed would win
* you would win (more sales)
* even players like me who thrive on timed levels would also win because the more such games sell, the more likely it is that we will see more of them for a long time to come (and we'd still have our timers to keep us happy - being able to play untimed would just be an option).

It may seem like a contradiction (an untimed TM game), and I personally wouldn't get any pleasure from doing it without the timer, but clearly many others would, so I'd like to see them get the chance.

I know some prefer a completely untimed mode and don't even like letting a timer run out but I can see that, now the game is finished, adding a totally separate mode could maybe involve more development effort than perhaps just allowing timers to run out in the existing mode. That's why I am suggesting that instead, but I really do hope that you will be able to add one or the other so that this game gets the number of players that its originality (within this genre) deserves .

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 11, 12 9:42 AM
there was a recent tm......wonderland maybe,,,or hidden worlds....that had 3 difficulty levels.......so those that liked the challange of short time for gold, were happy, those that wanted gold,, but not so hair raising, were happy,,, and those that just wantet to meander, were also happy......

i gotta say..i play this genre a lot,,, and i do think the gold level on some of the levels is a bit insane

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 9:44 AM
Bella

The chaining is an interesting point because I would normally want to be able to chain tasks too.

But in this game, with the different islands and time taken to cross cannon ropes etc. having to be allowed for in the strategy, I think that I would maybe find it harder to get gold if I was to try chaining tasks.

That's because, without chaining, I have total control over when a task gets started so if I have 2 folk working on different islands in the same level I don't accidentally make them waste time swapping places. That could happen with chaining - I could click on the next 2 tasks in advance only to see them finish the first tasks in a different order to what I expected and end up trading places. Especially when you have the ability (as here) to keep a worker on the same bush until he's emptied it, I think I'd end up avoiding using chaining.

But that's not me arguing against chaining being made possible, because I could always choose not to use it. I'm just pointing out that it can have it's downsides - there was one game I demoed fairly recently where I kept getting caught out that way and had to stop using chaining, but I can't remember which one right now.

stingstungme
Minnow
Minnow
216 Posts

[Post New]by stingstungme on Jul 11, 12 10:20 AM
Blam, loved the game but absolutely abhor the ridiculously speedy timer. Game needs to be slowed down.

I would have bought this game without hesitation had it not been for that evaporating timer.

If you're going to offer a game like this with only one mode then make it NORMAL, not EXPERT.

Did anyone demo this game besides the developers? o.0
I can't see the average gamer making gold on every level.

I only managed to get gold on the first 8 or so levels before the demo ended. Lord knows, I replayed them over and over again.

Your game doesn't provide any leeway whatsoever. There is only one way to get gold and you have to click on this, this, and this in the correct order at the correct time or you lose.

I do love challenges but this one is beyond ridiculous. I think I have a better chance of acing the SAT's Lsat, and get accepted into Mensa in the same day than getting gold on some of those levels.

If the early levels are this INSANE, then I don't want to see the latter levels.

The quickly diminishing timer frustrates me and for that I will simply not spend my money on being aggravated.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 10:26:04 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 10:28 AM
bella81762 wrote:there was a recent tm......wonderland maybe,,,or hidden worlds....that had 3 difficulty levels.......so those that liked the challange of short time for gold, were happy, those that wanted gold,, but not so hair raising, were happy,,, and those that just wantet to meander, were also happy......

i gotta say..i play this genre a lot,,, and i do think the gold level on some of the levels is a bit insane

I'm personally not finding gold in this game that difficult as such at all so far, I'm on level 21 btw, (I said more about why/how in the review thread), just more interesting because I have to think hard about it first. It really doesn't seem (to me) to require insane clickiness, just an efficient strategy.

Now that is just me and I recognise that everyone is different but most of these games are too easy for me to get gold, and I've stopped buying most of the road clearing ones, so if devs want to keep players like me interested they need to make the top level take some thought (as Blam have done here) and not just be about how fast we can click.

If the game only required super quick clicking to get gold that would be different (less interesting for me).

I do see what you are saying about the game which had 3 levels of difficulty, but was it just gold/not gold within each rather than bronze/silver/gold?

In fact, there's sometimes a downside to that in games for which the level is chosen right at the start - if someone gets golds in the easier mode then wants to trade up they may have to play everything again instead of just, like in this game, picking out the ones they missed.

Either way of giving options works for me - the more people able to enjoy a game the better. But expert gamers shouldn't be penalised and have the challenge/fun cut down for them just because not everyone can reach the top level.

Different if it was genuinely impossible but that seems to not be the case (except maybe the level which Sparkle mentioned since folk have got gold for all the others - I'm looking forward to trying that one ) or if it was straight gold v. not gold but there are 3 levels of achievement here.

(I still agree that should be able to continue after timer runs out though).

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 11:02:47 AM PST

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Jul 11, 12 10:36 AM
it was kinda like re2,,,,in normal the timer ran , and while you still had to think getting gold was doable....

but in the challangs levels of re2, the timer ran much faster,,,,,

and then the game (dont remember which one) also had a casual mode...with no timer,

Koalanut
Marlin
Marlin
8,777 Posts

[Post New]by Koalanut on Jul 11, 12 11:08 AM
Although I think that resources that don't regenerate sounds interesting, and I just might demo to see how that works, cause I love thinking and puzzle games........

But.....I love to take my time, think it through, enjoy the game and be proud of myself for figuring it out. I enjoy the puzzling, looking at the graphics, relaxing from work and a busy day that pushes me all day long. So as much as I love the new building games, I need an untimed mode in order to play and enjoy and not feel pushed like when I am working. Sometimes I go back and play the timed mode once I get the feel of the game or want a challenge.

Again, I think it goes back to "options" and more options, more sales because more people can play where they are comfortable and enjoying it.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 11, 12 11:08 AM
Bella, I think if there are to be 2 (or more modes) in a game, and if they are the same levels with tighter timers then all need to be unlocked from the start.....
..........In RE (the original) I already honed my times as much as possible the first time through, getting well below the target time on every level before moving on, so when it unlocked expert mode and that was just the same levels but with a tighter timer, I couldn't be bothered to play the whole thing again, but I've have loved to have had those targets be an option the first time through.

Guess it just boils down to us all being different and devs having to cater for as many folk as poss.

With that in mind I've no problem with people asking for an easier mode, but I have a huge problem with people asking for the existing gold timers to be made easier just because some folk can't get them, thus spoiling the game for those who can achieve them and enjoy getting there, expecting it to take some effort, or at least thought.

Koalanut - this one does seem to not start counting down until you take the first action, so you can look around as much as you like, check out the scenery etc and form an initial plan.

(I'm not trying to suggest that means you shouldn't want untimed - just letting you know since you seem undecided about whether to even demo ).

ETA The not regenerating of resources helps with that planning too. You can see exactly how much resource will be available to pick up in each section of the scene.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 11:25:03 AM PST

Go to: