bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for The Promised Land

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 11, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Promised Land ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Promised Land page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Promised Land

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 11, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Livibop
Seahorse
Seahorse
35 Posts

[Post New]by Livibop on Jul 11, 12 5:27 AM
I love this game!
Been waiting for a new Virtual Villagers for years (literally) - and this is just like it!

Cute graphics - I love that the little people wear clothes matching their profession - makes it easier to know what's going on.

Basically, you have a "tribe" of villagers setting up a new settlement - with challenges and mysteries along the way.

It's super-addictive, got even the hubby hooked

If I had any criticism - it's a little bit easy, I would prefer the game to be a bit more difficult.
But - a definite buy for me.
Now - back to my village

mendolyn
Guppy
Guppy
129 Posts

[Post New]by mendolyn on Jul 11, 12 5:33 AM
so far i really like this game. it's in the same vein as my tribe or virtual villagers where you build a civilization and accomplish tasks. the theme is cute and the graphics are really attractive in my opinion. i'm curious enough that i'll probably go ahead and pick this one up today as i really enjoy this type of game. hopefully it's long and continues being as fun as the trial time was. definitely worth a demo.

happy gaming

UPDATE: wow i'm having such a blast with this game! so glad i bought it. the developers have added some nice additions to this genre like including things like producing goods to ship and getting settlers to move to your village. it's not as challenging as figuring out the mysteries like in virtual villagers but you don't necessarily have to do everything right when your adviser suggests unless its timed and you want the extra cash. i really like the mini game with the pirates too. also don't expect the speed up and slow down features like in VV and My Tribe. this game is only progressing as you are playing and only at one speed but that's ok because there seems to be lots to do. it's nice and relaxing and not rushed but still interesting so if you want a fun mellow enjoyable game then you might enjoy this as much as i am.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 1:32:12 PM PST

bookwriter
Minnow
Minnow
215 Posts

[Post New]by bookwriter on Jul 11, 12 5:36 AM
Played for awhile but couldn't figure out how to build a house for the survivor that appeared. Tutorial is lacking greatly. Graphics are really cute and music is nice, but game play was nonexistent for me because of lack of direction. I tried everything I knew to do with no advancement, so it is a definite no buy for me today, which is a shame because it really is a cute game.
PS I did go to the forums for direction but what concerns me is if I am having trouble this little into the game, what am I going to face later on?

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Jul 11, 12 5:48 AM
This game was easy enough for me, but kind of boring. But I've never been a huge fan of the virtual people games. The graphics were nice.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 11, 12 6:20 AM
Review based on non-stop play after buying within 15 minutes of the demo starting .

What a fantastic game!

I absolutely love it despite having a few minutes of confusion about building the first house but it turned out I was looking in the wrong place and when I looked in the right one everything became crystal clear and I am now in 7th heaven , this is my sort of game .

SPOILER Highlight to read ...

**On the bottom right of the screen attached to the minimap shortcuts will appear ... eg click on the spire and it will open up the build menu, the ship will open the trade menu, the hammer the industry menu (including farming) and the books the knowledge menu. These menus also tell you exactly how much of what are required before you can build, research etc **

The graphics are absolutely perfect for this type of game and it fills my widescreen monitor (swapped with DH who, by the way is watching TV so I can't have the sound on so I am unable to comment on that or the music).

I like the fact that they will eventually feed themselves but I also like being able to pick them up and drop them where I want them . Unlike VV they do NOT drop whatever they are carrying so if you are short of something you can carry the person backwards and forwards from the resource to the warehouse and get things faster . I am also enjoying the trading aspect of the game too , in fact there is nothing I have come across so far that I dislike about the game.

THANK YOU DEVS ... MORE PLEASE

Cherb

ETA ... I even love firing the cannons at the pirates after finding that I could actually manage to aim well enough .

Although there is no timer as such if you complete a quest within the given time you do benefit with money and crowns.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 10:06:34 AM PST

Lucy1997
Clownfish
Clownfish
852 Posts

[Post New]by Lucy1997 on Jul 11, 12 6:26 AM

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 4:59:21 AM PST

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Jul 11, 12 7:12 AM

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 5:01:58 AM PST

debzzzzy
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by debzzzzy on Jul 11, 12 7:53 AM
Hi fishies

In regard to house building, try deleting and loading again as I had the same problem. House building would not appear, even after I collected loads of wood, which is what I thought I had to do. After that everything worked fine for me. I bought this game from the developers a couple of few weeks back, and have spent many a happy hour playing. Terrific game, and could not have asked for a better virtual game. Little people are so likeable, and I really have got attached to them all lol.

So many things to do, and lots of achievements to make. Shooting at the pirates was fun too. You will never get tired of it, busy little game from start to finish.

In all honesty there was nothing I did not like about the game. I eventually finished it, and believe me it took days, now I am playing it again so addictive.

Enjoy and tyvm developers and . More like this please .

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Jul 11, 12 1:52 PM
Very nice game. So far (I just finished the demo), as others mentioned, it isn't really challenging, but there are always things to do and the hour of the demo went by quickly.

The tutorial is good as well, little pop-ups appear, giving the necessary instructions, with arrows pointing to the relevant areas. If something can't be built or done, there is an explanation: with items, hovering the mouse over it will give an explanation. With buildings, clicking on the building reveals an icon of the thing/technology necessary (and again: hovering the mouse over that icon explains it).

The only thing I couldn't master was shooting at the pirates. The pop up told me what to do, but the dragging and dropping just wasn't possible, so I had to retreat. I don't know how often pirates will be faced; I could do very well without those aiming/shooting bits.

Having the chance to trade with the capital is a nice twist, though I don't understand why buying items from the capital reduces reputation.

So - there are a few smaller things that could be better, but it's a nice, entertaining game and I'll probably buy it. I'm not yet sure about its long-term entertainment value, so am looking forward to more reviews.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jul 11, 12 3:32 PM
This is an amazing game. It is very forgiving timewise which is good, because there is much to figure out and do. You can expand the small house by adding new rooms, but some you can't build until you upgrade your constructiion skill. The walkthrough orange box site will help, but it doesn't cover everything. You will really have to exercise your gray cells. What may appear to be a glitch isn't. Just soldier on. What fun!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Jul 11, 12 3:40 PM
GloomySunday wrote:Very nice game. So far (I just finished the demo), as others mentioned, it isn't really challenging, but there are always things to do and the hour of the demo went by quickly.

The tutorial is good as well, little pop-ups appear, giving the necessary instructions, with arrows pointing to the relevant areas. If something can't be built or done, there is an explanation: with items, hovering the mouse over it will give an explanation. With buildings, clicking on the building reveals an icon of the thing/technology necessary (and again: hovering the mouse over that icon explains it).

The only thing I couldn't master was shooting at the pirates. The pop up told me what to do, but the dragging and dropping just wasn't possible, so I had to retreat. I don't know how often pirates will be faced; I could do very well without those aiming/shooting bits.

Having the chance to trade with the capital is a nice twist, though I don't understand why buying items from the capital reduces reputation.

So - there are a few smaller things that could be better, but it's a nice, entertaining game and I'll probably buy it. I'm not yet sure about its long-term entertainment value, so am looking forward to more reviews.

Shooting at the pirates is very much like playing Angry Birds which I'm not good at. Click on the back part of the cannon. Pulling to the left controls how far the cannon ball will go. Pulling down controls how high. You have a lot of cannon balls to use so this is doable.

[Post New]by spooky36a on Jul 11, 12 4:23 PM
I am a big fan of Virtual Villagers and like games like that which do not give you a time limit to finish a set task. This game is perfect, they give you tasks which you complete when you can, but it is not drop everything and do it now.

I bought this game right after my hour demo ended, and I hope more versions follow.

capipe
Guppy
Guppy
179 Posts

[Post New]by capipe on Jul 11, 12 6:19 PM
it's awkward getting a character from one side to the other...am sorry because it may be fun.

ZoeCan
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by ZoeCan on Jul 12, 12 4:30 AM
Love, love, love this game! I was up until the wee hours of the morning tending to my village. =]

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 12, 12 5:56 AM

Edited on 07/17/2012 at 9:41:25 AM PST

goeash
Koi
Koi
83,226 Posts

[Post New]by goeash on Jul 12, 12 9:51 AM
I would love to play this game, but I found that the going back and forwards round the screen made me feel quite seasick. So sadly I won't be buying it.

kilbride
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kilbride on Jul 12, 12 2:51 PM
nice game i enjoyed it a little short finished in like 12 hours worth the money beats 4 hour hogs

[Post New]by Ceepia on Jul 14, 12 1:23 AM
I'm a fan of Sim type games and loved this one. Good to get a multi-function game which is NOT one of the endless stream of Hidden Object that BF seems to favour!

I started playing the trial late last night and bought the full version at the end of the trial period. The fact that I finally tore myself away at 6am this morning shows how it got me in!

Quite a few times when you think there is something wrong you end up finding out there is a logical solution and something else you need to do first.

I thought the graphics were very good and I like the fact that there are so many things going on at once. You need to balance out the need to sell supplies which are 'in demand' versus the needs of your peeps. Try not to start multiple timed quests at the same time, or you miss out on your bonuses. Also, make sure you plan what you want to build next and research accordingly.

I hope you all enjoy it as much as I did!

Go to: