[Post New]by cel_1 on Jul 11, 12 12:53 AM
can anyone tell me how to build a house so far have managed food and wood

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:building a house

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 12 12:56 AM
When you are told to build a house (for the new member that has arrived), click at the bottom where the warehouse symbol is. A map will open with all the buildings you can build in time. The tutorial should tell you which building to click on in order to build a house.

[Post New]by leswalk_100 on Jul 11, 12 2:04 AM
All my houses are locked. I have 50 wood and 30 food but new member is starving while I trying to figure out how to unlock house.

still stuck

chiari_survivor
Catfish
Catfish
1,506 Posts

[Post New]by chiari_survivor on Jul 11, 12 2:14 AM
I played the full demo time and ended with 104 wood and 52 food and my houses are all still locked (except the town hall that can not hold more than 5) and the homeless survivor still has no home but at least he was finally willing to eat.

I sure wish the game had explained what resources you needed to build what house, and HOW to actually do anything besides pick food and chop wood.

I have not played other games similar to this so I am not sure if the other games explain this aspect or not. Either way not enough instruction is given to make this enjoyable even though the graphics etc are very nice they don't make up for the frustration of feeling like I am stumbling around in the dark when the developers could have turned the light on for us by giving better instructions.

FINALLY!! after running out of demo time here, I PM'd Valdy(thank you for the helpful info), and also went to that "other site" to read all walk through type information and then I went to the developers site and played their 1 hour trial. I then returned here and read the newer messages here and through all that running around I learned that my mistake was I had not closed the message box and secondly you must click the building tower down at the bottom of the screen next to the map at the bottom right. This same area (that looks like wood bark)will also add other functions as you progress so at the end of the second hour I had not only the house but the forge, kitchen, water well, up graded town hall, the ship fixed and completed several runs to the capital, and also had the field producing crops.

The graphics are wonderful and the game has enough things to do so that most players will be kept busy and happy. On both sites my downloaded versions seemed to have a glitch in the sound track as it seemed to catch like when old records have a scratch and the needle gets stuck. Each time it lasted just a few seconds and corrected itself.

I'm grateful I figured out enough so that I could play this game and enjoyed the second hour very much but since I am not the only one not understanding the basic functioning of this game, I hope that they add some instructions to their tutorial since most players will not go through all the running around that I did.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 6:52:28 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 12 2:17 AM
Pretty much at the beginning, a new man is joining your group. The tutorial person will tell you that he won't be working for you unless you build him a house he can live in.

Once you have a certain amount of wood, this man will appear. But you only need 5 woods or something like that.

Hasn't that new man appeared in anyone's game?

bertiepuppy
Minnow
Minnow
269 Posts

[Post New]by bertiepuppy on Jul 11, 12 2:53 AM
He appeared but no instructions on how to unlock the house to build it is given - just a matter of hoping that at some time it will happen.

This could have been a good game - but needs to go back to the developers for a lot of work before it is put up for sale - major steps in the instructions are missing.

After an hour of play you should be able to do more then simply build one house and collect wood, food, and stone - which is all I managed to do in an hour because the next steps are impossible.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 12 3:00 AM
Strange. There was nothing wrong with my demo. The man came, I was told by the advisor to build him a house so he would start working.

Then I had to build a well. I got rid of the stones to the north. I rebuilt the iron mine. I built a forge, and produced nails.

A new woman arrived (a farmer), and my people were able to clear that field and plant food.

I rebuilt the ship and loaded it with gold and silver and it went off to do trade with the Capital.

So all in all, my version was doing just fine.

Forgot to mention that I had to upgrade the warehouse so more stuff could be stored there. That was the first thing I had to do, if I remember correctly.

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 3:02:52 AM PST

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 3:02 AM
I had been able to play a demo 1 or 2 weeks ago, before the game is released here, on BFG. And I remember I was quite frustrated too. I felt I had not played so well, I was not happy with the few things I had "achieved" in 1-hour time... And now, reading some comments, looks like others find some instructions are missing. I think I had the same feeling, in fact.

Anyway, I was very much intrigued by this game. So I'm gonna retry the demo. And if I find some answers to the above questions, I'll let you know.

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 3:09 AM
Valdy wrote:Strange. There was nothing wrong with my demo. The man came, I was told by the advisor to build him a house so he would start working.

Then I had to build a well. I got rid of the stones to the north. I rebuilt the iron mine. I built a forge, and produced nails.

A new woman arrived (a farmer), and my people were able to clear that field and plant food.

I rebuilt the ship and loaded it with gold and silver and it went off to do trade with the Capital.

So all in all, my version was doing just fine.

Forgot to mention that I had to upgrade the warehouse so more stuff could be stored there. That was the first thing I had to do, if I remember correctly.

Even though some could think it would contradict what I just wrote before, I had been able to do everything that Valdy describes.

But still, I felt like sometimes I had to "guess" by myself how to do what, which resources I should use... In theory, I don't like games with too much "hand-holding". But in this case, I think the tutorial could have shown and explained more things in the beginning.

So maybe this game could look difficult for beginners... Myself, I'm almost intermediate, and I did not feel so comfortable.

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jul 11, 12 3:43 AM
Please, can anyone tell me how to unlock the house?

I think I have tried everything but apparently I don´t

Bidme
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by Bidme on Jul 11, 12 3:47 AM
I'm like valdy, I'v got forge, built ship, have kitchen, but when I started I could not build house, have you all got rid of the the little box, I think it has gold border, click the X in the top right, then you can build the house. My trouble is I can't extend the house, I brought the plans and moved it over but nothing happens. Now found out how to add rooms using another website

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 9:04:06 AM PST

anki6969
Minnow
Minnow
242 Posts

[Post New]by anki6969 on Jul 11, 12 4:02 AM
Bidme, many thanks
That did it!!! Now I´m reparing the mine and probably on my way to buy it

Raska
Lobster
Lobster
99 Posts

[Post New]by Raska on Jul 11, 12 4:04 AM
My daughter bought this game a few weeks ago and I have played it entirely two times now...I think it is the best and nicest building game ever that was made, but don't expect to finish the game in a few hours. It wil take you several days (even if you play for 5-6 hours a day)
You must follow the instructions of the tutorial and they are very clear ! When the tutorial is finished you can go on without instructions anymore !
Give this game a chance, because it is at least as good as the settlers...and when the game is over, you can still play with your colony for ever and ever !

CynthiaV
Minnow
Minnow
255 Posts

[Post New]by CynthiaV on Jul 11, 12 4:14 AM
anki6969 wrote:Please, can anyone tell me how to unlock the house?

I think I have tried everything but apparently I don´t

I'm in the same boat anki6969 - I have more than enough food and wood but still all my houses are locked. I even tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game since it seems that some ppl's demos unlock the houses and others' don't but still no success. I also noticed that I never found the 'animal tracks' I was supposed to investigate. Maybe that has something to do with it - the task just disappeared without my completing it...strange.

I liked this game but can't get beyond the poor starved, homeless sailor. I don't like games that hold my hand either but come on - a little bit of instruction as to how to unlock the houses would be nice...just sayin'

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 11, 12 4:18 AM
Bidme wrote:I'm like valdy, I'v got forge, built ship, have kitchen, but when I started I could not build house, have you all got rid of the the little box, I think it has gold border, click the X in the top right, then you can build the house. My trouble is I can't extend the house, I brought the plans and moved it over but nothing happens. Help

You are right. You have to first close that speech bubble that hovers over that new man before you are able to build the house.

[Post New]by notoldlady on Jul 11, 12 4:36 AM
Thanks everyone for your tips you saved me a ton of frustration

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 4:37 AM
Valdy wrote:You are right. You have to first close that speech bubble that hovers over that new man before you are able to build the house.

I was coming back for this. Same as Valdy. Then, a new speech bubble will pop up, inviting you to click a small icon at the bottom right of the screen. It looks like a bell tower. Then you get a kind of a "building" menu, where you can choose, as you progress in the game, all sorts of new buildings.

When you reach this menu for the first time, you can only choose the small house. The other buildings are locked. Please also note that "choosing one building" does not mean that construction is complete !! Once you've chosen it, the menu is closed, and you get a new pop-up window that tells you that you must assign a worker to build the house. Only the foundations are OK. They are signalled with a red flag. And it will be the same whenever you decide to build a new house / forge .. or whatever building.

As for the animal tracks (Cynthia's question) when I played a 1st demo on another website, I chopped a lot of wood, but never found out about the animal tracks... maybe we'll know much later

Edited on 07/11/2012 at 5:45:12 AM PST

[Post New]by miss_marigold11 on Jul 11, 12 5:08 AM
I do believe it's the GOLD that allows you to build a house. I was popping around here and there trying to find a way to build the house when I somehow acquired 30 gold and there popped up the way to build a house which was easy enough once it let you do it.
Now I have the house and the pickaxe to chop the stones and have to enlarge the warehouse to store the stones. For that I need 40 gold and haven't the faintest idea of how or where I got the gold I have in the first place.
I like the game but it is very frustrating.

Peachy1969
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by Peachy1969 on Jul 11, 12 5:32 AM
I clicked o the warehouse, then the ta at the top that showed buildings, and it showed me a house there that I had enough gold to build, so I clicked that, it put the foundations on the map and I placed a man there to build it x

nanou_CJ
Guppy
Guppy
145 Posts

[Post New]by nanou_CJ on Jul 11, 12 5:44 AM
miss_marigold11 wrote:I do believe it's the GOLD that allows you to build a house. I was popping around here and there trying to find a way to build the house when I somehow acquired 30 gold and there popped up the way to build a house which was easy enough once it let you do it.
Now I have the house and the pickaxe to chop the stones and have to enlarge the warehouse to store the stones. For that I need 40 gold and haven't the faintest idea of how or where I got the gold I have in the first place.
I like the game but it is very frustrating.

I think what you call GOLD is just "coins"... I was confused, as I think we can get gold later in the game... but it would be much later, then.

Regarding the coins, I think we can earn them as we fulfill the various tasks we are given (there's a "task" tab at the bottom of the screen)

Go to: