bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 12, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 12:45:01 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 12, 12 12:45 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Jul 12, 12 1:00 AM
Played half an hour. To be brief, it's a nice game and I was so glad there is an option to stop sparkles. What I did find almost as irritating was the boxes that pop up every time you go over anything, I know what a door is! I know what a fire place is! It does seem to be quite a good game though but I can't really be bothered if I'm just looking at the pop ups all the time. I'll see what Wife thinks, if She likes it I'll buy it.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 12, 12 1:15 AM
Morning, all...

The SG (strategy guide) does not follow your progress, but only stays open where you last opened it.

Bonus content such as wallpaper and screensaver is already available in the trial version. However, only the first chapter is shown in the trial version.

There is a choice for custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There is voice-over.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is no journal, but there is a MAP at the right, which is in form of a COMPASS (you will get it a little into the game). The map shows you were you are, where you need to do things, and when you hover over each area, you will get an image of the place and a detailed list of tasks. The map can also be used to jump to different areas.

A little later on, you will get a PUPPET. It will be right in front of the MAP. Sometimes the puppet will help you, but mostly it will tell you the story...

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have clear and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button (which is in the shape of a flower and unfolds when refilling), and which works also outside of the HOS, is at the left and only takes about 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes only about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode. Thank you, developers!!

The graphics are superb, within the HOS and in the main scenes.

--- --- ---

I beta-tested this game by Elephant Games, and fell in love with it right there and then. Great graphics, great gameplay, an interactive map - what more do I want? Oh, I know... a different child doing the voice-over when telling his story.

Off to buy!!

ETA: This game has 5 chapters plus the Bonus chapter !!

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 2:27:24 AM PST

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Jul 12, 12 1:53 AM
Hi Valdy,
Sounds great. Lucky you having a chance to beta this for the devs. Did you also try it on the harder modes to give those of us who would consider one of the other playing options an inkling as to the differences?
Cheers

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 1:54:23 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 12, 12 1:57 AM
Elephant Games has brought us an excellent game today in which you must uncover the truth regarding the wishes made by a little boy that have caused some big trouble.

From the title screen on, I was extremely taken with the clarity, sharpness, and beauty of the graphics and art work----and the gorgeous WIDESCREEN ( ) presentation makes it absolutely awesome to look at, making some of the black bar games from others look just so yesterday by comparison.

The story was quite captivating and told in a very interesting way.

The hints (outside the HOS) are presented in a different way that makes the game more fun----they give you sort of a tongue-in-cheek nudge as to what to do next. And the hint and skip button fill quickly!

The strategy guide stays where you leave it----but the hint system is so good you will rarely need it.

The voice-overs and music are well done.

There is a map you receive early on that reveals where you are, a list of tasks, and you can use it to jump from place to place.

And the bonus materials are available immediately. (except, of course, the bonus game). It's obvious these devs listen to and respond to the feedback from their customers----which, unfortunately, can't be said about some of the others.

All in all, a great game not to be missed, everything a CE should be, and an instant buy for me!

Congrats and kudos to Elephant Games for this outstanding game!!

(BTW, check out the purring orange kitten in the first HOS---just another great little touch to a great, great game!!)

ETA---there are 5 chapters plus a bonus chapter (11pages) for a total of 64 pages in the SG.

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 2:44:39 AM PST

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 12, 12 2:01 AM
Having played the demo my answer to Valdy's "What more do I want" question would be ...

I would like to know how long the game is, ie for the Strategy Guide to have a complete Index page showing page numbers so that we can see if 13 pages is roughly what each of the other chapters are thus we can gain some idea of the length of the total game judging by how long it has taken us to complete the first chapter.

I would also like the Extra items to be available from purchase of the game (except for the bonus chapter which should remain locked). There are 8 good choices for the wallpaper but what use are they when one has finished that game and is now playing a completely different game altogether .

For the above reasons I will not be buying the CE (unless there is a sale ) but I will be buying the SE because ...

The graphics are very good
The voiceovers are good
The music is pleasant
There are extra options available such as gamma and special effects
It fills my widescreen
There is a choice of 3 modes (I chose Advanced in case I needed to skip a puzzle)
The hidden object scenes have interactive elements (although there are some small items)
A storyline that makes you want to play

and last but not least I just that map because it not only does it transport you and save on sneaker wear and tear but it actually shows you what tasks still remain undone in each area ... the latter is a wonderful addition devs, thank you .

Cherb

ETA ... missed a point.

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 2:03:21 AM PST

alimac196
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

[Post New]by alimac196 on Jul 12, 12 5:13 AM
I am loving this game so far. I am 2.5 hours in and not near the end so think this is a good long game and well worth the CE price. The adventure portion really makes you think and the graphics are gorgeous. The HOS are slightly interactive which keeps things from getting repetitive. The only thing I don't love is the puppet - it feels a bit juvenile to me but others may really like him.
I'm playing on Casual (or Easy) and despite this am still finding it challenging. The hint refreshes really fast as does the skip button in case you get stumped by the puzzles (which I often do sadly). All up I think this is another great game from this developer and would recommend.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 12, 12 5:37 AM
Clipped from cbtx's review And the bonus materials are available immediately. (except, of course, the bonus game). It's obvious these devs listen to and respond to the feedback from their customers----which, unfortunately, can't be said about some of the others.

Clipped from Cherbtoo's review I would also like the Extra items to be available from purchase of the game (except for the bonus chapter which should remain locked). There are 8 good choices for the wallpaper but what use are they when one has finished that game and is now playing a completely different game altogether .

I'm confused

Lovely game which I'm definitely going to buy; personally the extra's don't hold much interest for me but I'm curious as to which of these two excellent reviews got it right!

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Jul 12, 12 6:39 AM
Review after playing about 2/3 of demo:

This is a beautifully crafted game! Storyline, graphics, music, ambient sounds, voices (I found the child's voice to be very well done showing real emotion and inflection.)

The H0 scenes thus far were crowded but items CAN be found! The bits of interaction do make for more interest. I like it when these scenes are not just "hunt and click" to get an inventory item...but actually do require a bit of thinking. The puzzles I came across were well done and I liked the "turn" on the stained glass one with rotation. The kitten and cat are really nice, and I think the dog that stole the puppet is gorgeous (even if he is a "bad" one for taking the puppet)! The map is a really nice interactive one, and the hint rose refills in a short amount of time. I like directional arrows instead of "look somewhere else", "nothing to do here", etc.

I encountered no technical problems thus far (which is one reason I always demo a game before buying it).

I found the casual mode thus far to be a bit easier with more hints than I want, so after I buy the game I will try it in the "medium" mode. Also, I will start over with a new profile as I did skip one puzzle because I wanted to see more of the demo, and now I want to go back and redo it just to see if I can.

Overall Devs, I super-nice game, and thank you BFG for bringing it to us!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 12, 12 6:39 AM
I played 20 minutes of the demo, casual.

- Elephant Games
- 5 chapters + bonus play
- SG included in the game, it stays where you leave it
- No notebook
- You get a map shortly after you enter the game, you can jump from one place to the other, areas of interest are shown.
- 3 gameplay modes :casual, advanced, hardcore
- Voiceovers
- Music a bit loud...
- Clear H0 in which you interact
- Hint refills really quickly in casual mode and is useful outside H0
- Skip button
- Excellent graphics
- Good storyline

Couldnt exit fast enough to buy. Thanks Elephant Games

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 8:17:48 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jul 12, 12 6:59 AM
Woot!!

Probably could leave it at that - but will add a bit more. Like Valdy I was lucky enough to beta this and was blown away! I liked the first two in the series - but as good as they were; this one promises to be even better! With the first two I liked them well enough with the demo, but really had to play a bit to truly get drawn into them. This one grabbed me immediately and didn't let go!!

As others have mentioned (some positively, some not so ) the details in this game are astounding. I love all the information you get scrolling over various items! For me things like that really flesh out the characters in this story (just grabbed my notes from the beta and I even had that down as a plus to mention in survey comments!!). I'll also "ditto" cbtx's rave over that darn kitten - my Aunt was visting when I beta'd and I remember calling her over to see it & how uber cute it was & also showing her the amazing graphics in general.

As always with Elephant Games the humor "had me at hello" as it were! It's the perfect amount of relief in a storyline that's this scary!

I had no tech problems with the beta & hope that carries through in the full download - this is a biggun'!! I suppose I could have waited to write this until I'd finished buying and downloading - but am just sooooo excited about this game I wanted to sing its praises immediately!

Now the suspense is killing me however & I must go play! Happy Gaming All!!

ETA: Woot again - so far full download is running well (by this I mean no floaty cursor, scenes trasitions smoothly, etc. - things that might hitch up in a larger file game).

Also - woot, woot! When I beta'd widescreen did NOT work on my laptop - I had black bars on the side - today when I opened it up no black bars! Didn't even have to make any adjustments in options.

As I've said before; whether or not a game fills my screen never factors in to my decision to buy - but I did make note of the bars in my beta survey as I know it's a big issue for lots in the pond & I feel when I am lucky enough to beta I should be commenting on things that the majority of folks have concerns with; not just my own personal prefs.

So WOW that the resolution issues was fixed before the release! Elephant Games more than I did before - they do listen! OK - enough - I have a child to go save...

Edited on 07/12/2012 at 7:39:53 AM PST

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jul 12, 12 7:19 AM
Great game with great graphics. Elephant Games does it right.

I love the map. It is one of the best I have seen.

I have the other two Grim Tales games and I must have this one to complete the series. The other two were very, very good, but I think this one surpasses them all.

Thank you BF for some great games this past week. You are breaking my checkbook but giving me hours of entertainment.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 12, 12 8:26 AM
Well, everything has already been said. I love the game, but unless there is a sale in August on CE's, I will opt for the SE as I find "bonus games" usually are disappointing and I have no need for the other bonus items.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 12, 12 8:58 AM
Just finished the demo and I am VERY pleased with this new game from Elephant.
The graphics, first off are just phenomenal. When I saw the kitten I wanted to reach out and pet it, it seemed so real. Everything is so crisp and clear.
I liked the layout so far and the storyline. I am looking forward to buying this as an SE because I literally haven't bought many CE that were worth the price. I hope this comes out as an SE sooner than later. I can't wait!

poggyapoo
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by poggyapoo on Jul 12, 12 9:07 AM
Lovin' this game! Just finished the demo............and it'll be a buy for me
Great graphics, and gameplay. Not too many HOG piles, and items not too difficult to find.

Has anyone else noticed what sounds like someone breaking wind in Luisa's room!! LOLOLOL. Thought the dev's had been listening to my OH!

I just adore the little boy's voice........AND the puppet is cute!

There are similarities to other games but this is certainly one great game!

Right........off to buy

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 12, 12 10:07 AM
I have to say that this game feels like a sequence of another but when I reviewed the other Grim tales it actually do not.

I love the game, is engaging, gorgeous graphics, beautiful voices and will keep you on the edge, if you love this type of stories.

Interactive HOs and plenty of puzzles as you go along, it will keep you busy as you unravel the very mysterious theme.

Another winner in the BF repertoire of games.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 12, 12 10:45 AM
angelfish106 wrote:Clipped from cbtx's review And the bonus materials are available immediately. (except, of course, the bonus game). It's obvious these devs listen to and respond to the feedback from their customers----which, unfortunately, can't be said about some of the others.

Clipped from Cherbtoo's review I would also like the Extra items to be available from purchase of the game (except for the bonus chapter which should remain locked). There are 8 good choices for the wallpaper but what use are they when one has finished that game and is now playing a completely different game altogether .

I'm confused

Lovely game which I'm definitely going to buy; personally the extra's don't hold much interest for me but I'm curious as to which of these two excellent reviews got it right!

Sorry for the confusion sweetie .

I am guessing Cbtx thought they were available because the devs actually showed us exactly what the 8 wallpapers were going to be whereas normally we don't even get to see that. However I actually clicked on the word Set to see what would happen and a pop up appeared stating that you have to complete the game first.

Tiger2010
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,624 Posts

[Post New]by Tiger2010 on Jul 12, 12 11:04 AM
My review is based on the whole game plus the bonus chapter. There are five chapters plus the bonus.

I was literally glued to this game from beginning to end. Games by this developer just get better and better. The graphics were beautiful, the H0S nicely spaced out with clearly defined items that were easy to find. I counted 23 Hidden Object Scenes in the main game and 3 in the bonus.

The interactive map is the best I have seen in a game. Not only does it let you jump from location to location, but it also gives you thumbnail photos with the tasks not yet completed clearly stated. This is an enormous help. It cuts out all of the running around. The Hint button tells you exactly what to do next (of course, you don't have to use this). Even with all of this help available the main game took me just over 5 hours, the bonus around 1 hour. It's a long, immersive game that pulls you in.

Highly recommended.

CiChDa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,972 Posts

[Post New]by CiChDa on Jul 12, 12 11:26 AM
ELEPHANT and BF, thanks....good game!
Graphics are beatiful, music is not intrusive, voice over is not too much, puzzles are challenging enough and a bit different than the normal, HO's are clear, hints are really not needed for play as the map will tell where you need to go - to do what.
The only really confusing part for me was finding all the different medallions for the different locks or items...you kinda had to remember where you needed that one! (There is quite a few medallions needed for placement to continue on in the game)
Story line was engaging, along with the nice touch of the different environments for game play that fell inline within the plot of the story.
I am in agreement with Tiger on having the HO's spaced out well. You had enough without taking away the adventure aspect. I still prefer less than more as I like more adventure than HO menu searches Oh well.....
I definately recommend for you to give it a try, IT is a WINNER

Go to: