bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 14, 12 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Wards page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 4:04:01 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 14, 12 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 14, 12 12:58 AM
Is this the game for you?

Feel free to swim over and check out the Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward Collector's Edition as well if you like!

Hope this helps!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 14, 12 1:04 AM
Morning, all...

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Casual mode.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a "Stretch screen" option, which didn't do anything for me.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is an INFO button at the top right. When you click on it, you can re-read the letters and other documents you find.

The MENU button is at the top left.

The HINT button, which also works outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is at the bottom right. It takes just over a minute to refill in Casual mode.

When using the HINT button in the HOS, and you have more than 1 object left in your list, you will have to choose which of the objects you want to be found by clicking on its name.

Some objects in the Inventory can be combined when you see a + (cross) next to the items.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button takes over a minute to fill in Casual mode.

Graphics on the whole are a little rough.

Gameplay is not quite as fun as I would have liked. It's a little stiff, stilted. Can't find a better word for it.

--- --- ---

For those fishies who are not comfortable with occult things and necromancy, there is an element of the latter at least.

For those gamers who like really long games, this one was on the short side. It took me 3 hours to complete the main game.

For me, the 3 hours gameplay was just long enough, and I really enjoyed the main game. Liked all the puzzles (don't like it when they are too hard), and the HOS are nicely spaced and there aren't that many.

About the Bonus game:

The bonus game was OK. Didn't care for having to do one puzzle after another, especially since most of them were not my kind of puzzles. I didn't have any fun doing them, and needed to skip quite a few.

Looks like we are going to see a follow-up game. Not sure if peeps when they buy the SE will be happy. The beginning of the bonus game was the continuation of the end of the main game.

Happy weekend, everyone.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jul 14, 12 6:34 AM
I bought the CE for this game. Don't miss out on a really great game. Here is my review from the CE version:

I LOVE THIS GAME! I don't know where, but I have played this game before. It came up with my name, which isn't all that unusual, but as I moved from scene to scene, I recognized them.

I have read some of the other reviews from reviewers I usually agree with. In this case, I don't. I found the graphics to be clear and beautiful. I really enjoyed the games and solved every one of them in the trial version. I thought they were challenging, but solveable if I applied a little brain power.

The HOs were sharp and clear on my laptop and the objects were not too hard to find. I only used the hint button once.

The hint button does work outside the HO scenes, which is always helpful.

Don't let the negative reviews scare you off. Try this for yourself. I think you might be surprised.

I do own all the Haunted Hotel series and have found them all to be fun.

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Jul 14, 12 7:23 AM
I really liked this game. The HOGS were very clear, the graphics were nice, the storyline is interesting enough I suppose.
This is going on my list as a future buy.
The only issue I had, and it's small and not something that interfered with game play, was the broken English used in the sub text. I saw it where the demo ended. Like using "you" for "your" leaving words out making broken sentences. I know this is not a big deal but such a pet peeve of mine that developers don't seem to make an effort to spell check. It is just shoddy work.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Jul 14, 12 5:11 PM
This series just gets better. Different feel to gameplay but much improved. HO scenes are find items by list with no interactivity. The HO scenes kind of remind me of that section in a library - "large print". Items really can't be missed and I would have liked just a little more challenge.

[Post New]by BearCreekStables on Jul 14, 12 8:32 PM

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 4:08:57 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 15, 12 6:21 AM
if you like haunting tales,then you will like this game.---------doug & lisa

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Jul 15, 12 3:09 PM
Kuddo's to you DEV's you out did yourselves, Loved the game, So many interesting things to do in this game, I am very happy I bought the game..Thx BF sending love your way..you know how to make your fishes happy lately with awesome games..Graphics was clear and i loved the sounds..

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 3:09:59 PM PST

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Jul 15, 12 4:41 PM
It was ok. Nice to see a different bit of gameplay from the first two games, but the ending was very subpar.

CelticCoco
Clownfish
Clownfish
514 Posts

[Post New]by CelticCoco on Jul 16, 12 3:53 PM
Just finished this one and for those who don't have or haven't played the rest of the series, don't worry, this one is not connected to them.

Based on a story by H.P Lovecraft, this is a wonderful, suspenseful horror story. No demons, really, this game is about the darker side of humanity. I skipped a few puzzles that were beyond my skills but the HOG scenes were fairly easy. I used the hints in lieu of a strategy guide and looked at the walkthrough a couple of times.

Really liked this one and hope they might do a follow up, but we'll see. Horror stories quite often end like this. SPOILER ALERT with an "end of the beginning" type thing. so if you want a resolved ending, don't go here. There is an ending but it might not satisfy some.

All in all I recommend this one and will play it again in the future.

Celticcoco

[Post New]by footballfan on Jul 16, 12 6:52 PM
I just purchased this game had a problem, redowned ,same problem. When the black cloud appears, I get message game stopped working. What now? Tried it over and over. Nothing worked!

florianna98
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by florianna98 on Jul 16, 12 10:05 PM
I've been playing for a couple of hours now. It's okay....Hidden objects are pretty easy to find, and the puzzles are doable; in fact a couple of them are really easy.

My issue is all the back and forth from this area to that area and back again. I really like the games with clickable maps. Or any map at all.

Liz_Lemon
Minnow
Minnow
219 Posts

[Post New]by Liz_Lemon on Jul 17, 12 4:04 AM
Meh, This game was alright, nothing to write home about. It was short IMO and not very challenging.
I still bought it after the trial as I had a credit that was going to expire.
I agree with Florianna, there really should have been an overview map and a clickable one would have been better.
Cheers

kgustavson
Clownfish
Clownfish
630 Posts

[Post New]by kgustavson on Jul 21, 12 4:59 PM
footballfan wrote:I just purchased this game had a problem, redowned ,same problem. When the black cloud appears, I get message game stopped working. What now? Tried it over and over. Nothing worked!

Try switching to Windowed mode - that worked for me. And you only need to be in windowed until the cloud appears in the beginning, then switch back to full screen.

LaNala108
Seahorse
Seahorse
33 Posts

Reviews for Haunted Hotel: Charles Dexter Ward

[Post New]by LaNala108 on Jul 30, 12 11:00 AM
Good evening little or big fishies! Here comes my review:

All thumbs up for this

Graphics:
good and clear

Objects HOS:
clearly to see, easy to find, not so overcharged like in other games where I often tired at an early stage because I am forced to jump from HOS to HOS

Puzzles:
mostly suprising and challenging

Hints:
recharging quickly

Story:
Interesting, never boring

Atmopshere:
lovely, especially the changing of weather gives a feeling of reality in the space of surreality

Music:
First time I like it very much and exceptionally keep it on during the game

Voice over:
Very good, warm voice so did'nt put it off exceptionally

Visuals:
video sequences are very well done and do not disturb like in so many other games

Length:
Just played 2 hours and yet at the beginning... a lot to explore, seems to be a long game

Only one thumb down for missing this
Map:
none

No thumb because purely a matter of taste if you like/need journal or not
Journal:
none but a list about letters you have to find and to read

Opinion:
worth to be tried, worth to be bought

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Jul 30, 12 2:04 PM
Definitely worth the purchase. SPOILER:
If you like happy endings you may be disappointed.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Jul 31, 12 8:09 AM
Entertaining, but dark game. Didn't have to use the walkthrough, but I used the peewadin out of the HINT button which refilled quite quickly. No journal, except these pieces of a diary you pick up along the way and a task list.

One real drawback that was VERY frustrating was there was no map and there was A LOT OF RUNNING AROUND without clues as to where you should go next unless you had this outrageous memory, which I don't. I actually got so tired of running around I stopped playing this game for about 2 weeks. Came back, used the hint button to get started again...the hint button is the only clue as to where to go and what to do next if you get stuck.

Some inventory items need to be connected to work and they have little + signs to let you know which ones need to be connected BUT they don't necessary sit side by side.

Mini games, and there are a few were somewhat easy and at times entertaining. But you can skip these too if you wish.

Wierd, dark story so if you are sqeaminsh about this kind of thing I would not suggest playing it. Felt I certainly got my money worth. Don't know about length because I did stop and start the game and lost track.

There was an ending of sorts, but it definately left room for a sequal...at least I hope so since it was not a real complete one....very frustrating, I hate games like that.

HOGS were easy and clear, graphics really cool. I give this a 4 only because it didn't have a map and trying to navigate through the story was a P.I.T.A.

pvsquare
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by pvsquare on Aug 1, 12 8:34 AM
Very good game. The graphics, story line, HOS, and puzzles well done. I am very happy with this type of game. Spooky and the sound adds to the game. I am buying this one.

Go to: