bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Old Clockmaker's Riddle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 15, 12 12:49 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Old Clockmaker's Riddle? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Old Clockmaker's Riddle page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 07/15/2012 at 3:59:48 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Old Clockmaker's Riddle

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 15, 12 12:50 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

lovetoocraft
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

Love this game

[Post New]by lovetoocraft on Jul 15, 12 1:16 AM
What a refreshing change. This is totally different than any other Match 3 game I have played. In some respects, the story line and graphics are very similiar to many of the HO games I have, which is great.

The best thing...we have the OPTION to play timed or untimed. TY TY TY to the dev's for listening to us. We should always have the option. This gives us a game that all Match 3 players can play and enjoy. Kudo's to the dev's.

The story line is about a town that has been devistated. As we play, we restore one building at a time, until the entire town is restored.

Enjoy

[Post New]by xander32839 on Jul 15, 12 2:11 AM
This is a cute M3 game with very familiar bonuses (so far). I like that you can choose which bonuses you want after earning the 'gems' to buy it. The main boards have been easy for the first 5 or so houses, but the bonus levels (seemingly random levels) are more of a challenge. I've had no problems collecting enough to buy whatever bonuses I want, but I have not needed to use any bonuses to win a level.

It seems like you can replay previous levels, but I didn't try. There are 'only' 50 levels in the game, yet the levels can last quite a while. It has an interesting 'timer' element - once the timer runs out on a level, you lose a certain number of the clock hands you're collecting. So, if you're a slow player, you'll just have to play even longer to catch up and complete the level. I'm not sure how people will react to that, but I love it.

My only complaints with this game (in 35 minutes of demo) are:

Major - the additional installations they require to run the game (including a warning that 'you have a newer version of the program, please correct this and try again'), yet the game runs fine when I disregarded the warning;

Minor - the music becomes irritating. I'm glad I always turn it down or off when playing games;

Minor, but a pet peeve of mine - Very irritating grammatical errors, often changing the intended meaning.

Overall, I enjoyed playing and will use a punch to buy it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

Love this game

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 15, 12 5:33 AM
lovetoocraft wrote:What a refreshing change. This is totally different than any other Match 3 game I have played. In some respects.

Refreshing indeed, that is the way to describe the game, I just could not help myself, I have to buy it.

This will be a nice way to refresh from the traditional HOgames I favor the most.

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 15, 12 7:05 AM
This is based on the demo that went by very fast.

you have to match jewels to gather clock hands on order to restore a town. I played in timed mode as I always do. It's VERY fast paced!
You collect the jewels in order to by power ups from the store. So far they were the usual. Lightning, hammer, bomb and such.
This also offers mini games that are also M3's only much much more difficult but can be skipped.
I buy M3's for a relief from play Adventure/Hidden Object. After playing 30 min. or so I thought this is a buy for sure. Now I am afraid that it may get to repetitive. It is a lot of fun but how long do you do the same thing?

On the fence about it but will probably use a coupon here

jellow10
Guppy
Guppy
160 Posts

[Post New]by jellow10 on Jul 15, 12 9:25 AM
I don't think I'll be buying this game. I don't think I really understand what's going on. I get the basic M3 gameplay--getting rid of ice blocks, metal tiles, etc., but sometimes I'll finish a level and then get "Let's continue" and another board opens up. Other times I get to go back to the shop to buy power-ups. And what brings up the "madness" element? I can't see any connection between making 4 and 6 gem matches and earning lightning and bombs. Maybe I'm having a "senior day" instead of just a senior moment.

The thing is there are characteristics of this game I really like. The graphics really appeal to me, and I like the sinister villain lurking on the streets of the town. The music really fits the theme, too. The tiles on the boards are very easy to distinguish, but the sameness of the boards gets repetitive and boring. I think I made it through 5 buildings but nothing much changed during that time. Maybe I'll try this again on my old laptop and see if it clicks better on another day. I really do like a good M3.

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Jul 15, 12 9:50 AM
jellow10 wrote:I don't think I'll be buying this game. I don't think I really understand what's going on. I get the basic M3 gameplay--getting rid of ice blocks, metal tiles, etc., but sometimes I'll finish a level and then get "Let's continue" and another board opens up. Other times I get to go back to the shop to buy power-ups. And what brings up the "madness" element? I can't see any connection between making 4 and 6 gem matches and earning lightning and bombs. Maybe I'm having a "senior day" instead of just a senior moment.

The thing is there are characteristics of this game I really like. The graphics really appeal to me, and I like the sinister villain lurking on the streets of the town. The music really fits the theme, too. The tiles on the boards are very easy to distinguish, but the sameness of the boards gets repetitive and boring. I think I made it through 5 buildings but nothing much changed during that time. Maybe I'll try this again on my old laptop and see if it clicks better on another day. I really do like a good M3.
(blue highlight is added)

When you are playing, if you look at the top of the screen you will see a bar that is being filled each time you make a match. If you don't make matches quickly enough, the bar starts moving back. If you fill it you get extra points for a short time. You can purchase power ups to extend the time of bonus play.

I usually try to take notes during a game, but this one went by so quickly that I neglected to take many. Good graphics, and pleasant sounds. The power ups hint at a twist to the game. One is labelled "delay people departure". No idea what it does.

The game is very similar to the Treasures of Montezuma series. If you liked them you should try this one.

beryltheperil
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by beryltheperil on Jul 15, 12 10:12 AM
I love this game.

The graphics are excellent and I like actually like the music, for a change.

I am playing in relaxed mode without the timer, a great innovation, I want time to think.

Being able to choose and buy power ups is a neat twist.

So far I have skipped the bonus rounds,

Well worth buying , I can see this being an old favourite, good for a relaxed game when you are not up to playing adventure games

StefsCat
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
11 Posts

[Post New]by StefsCat on Jul 15, 12 10:24 AM
I enjoyed this game very much. I like that there's a relaxed mode for those of us who don't like the stress of the timed games. There's a bonus game that I'm having trouble with, but fortunately you can skip it. The graphics are cute. I especially like the cat that keeps peeking in the window.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 15, 12 11:28 AM
A good Match 3 game, with great graphics and music relaxing. I am enjoying playing with no pressures so I am playing in the relaxed mode. It seems to have all one would want for a cute Match 3 game.

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Jul 15, 12 3:34 PM
Thank You Devs for the untimed mode.
I would have purchased the game just for this to encourage more Devs to include this mode in M3s, however, that is not the case here.
I am quite enjoying this game.
The graphics are great, the music, I also find, is very relaxing.
The gameplay is smooth, no problems with anything.
I love that there is a storyline involved.
Thanks Devs and BFG, This is a definite buy for me.
BK

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 16, 12 6:19 AM

Edited on 07/17/2012 at 4:04:14 AM PST

JayTeeLine
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by JayTeeLine on Jul 18, 12 1:13 PM
BearKat wrote:Thank You Devs for the untimed mode.
I would have purchased the game just for this to encourage more Devs to include this mode in M3s, however, that is not the case here.
I am quite enjoying this game.
The graphics are great, the music, I also find, is very relaxing.
The gameplay is smooth, no problems with anything.
I love that there is a storyline involved.
Thanks Devs and BFG, This is a definite buy for me.
BK

bought it, love it, and have been playing it for hours in the untimed mode. what a treasure this game is....graphics are lovely, story is excellent, colors are all over the place, cheerful and enjoyable -- and the music is perfect. can't place the music but it reminds me of being at the symphony when the orchestra is performing. don't want to quit. my new favorite game.

I also say thank you to the Devs for an innovative and charming change in the way games are presented. hope to see more refreshing choices such as this one. and what a surprise to find it. thanks felix.

it is imo an adorable adaptation reminding me of what could happen if Charles Dickens had met Dr Seuss and they produced this sweet version of happiness between them.

jtl

[Post New]by LavenderLion on Jul 21, 12 11:58 AM
This is a great match 3 game, its a lot of fun and challenging. Building up the town is nice. You can loosing buildings and have them go dark and then have to go back to them. Then the number of clock pieces needed goes up. So even though the grid remains the same it keeps getting harder. And there are more blockers - ice, metal pieces and so on. And then there's the way the timer works - you loose some clock pieces if you don't work fast enough. Tricky but its an interesting twist.

And I want to say I LIKE playing games with a timer!

Having the ability to skip the puzzle levels is nice. I like those sort of logic puzzles at times but have to be in the right frame of mind. And when I've been moving fast in the M3 levels I usually just want to keep going.

The characters are fun, especially the cat popping up in the window. And the old man wondering about town.

Figuring out how the building and the sun timer on them worked was difficult. The one thing this game lacks is instructions. It would be nice if the developers had put more in the help other then just standard M3 play. A slide about how the buildings and bonus items related to buildings work is really needed.

Still I find I cant stop playing.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 14, 12 6:36 PM
I usually do not go for Match 3 games. But this is DIFFERENT. Lots of things to buy (or activate) like houses, bars, etc. Its just so fun, and lots of powerups too!

If there is ONE match 3 games that stand out and make an impression, at least on me, this is IT!!!

LOVE IT!

4/5

mirror75
Lobster
Lobster
93 Posts

[Post New]by mirror75 on Oct 8, 12 4:33 PM
Good game, different for a match3. However many people are posting questions about how to keep the buildings from disrepair and for additional instructions. Apparently there are none. Looked online. Just fyi if you buy this game you may get frustrated as it is very difficult to complete due to lack of instruction. But it is a good time wasting game.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Oct 26, 12 10:20 AM
I've just finished the game on timed mode. The idea is to get all buildings to stay lit. More and more buildings open up as you go along, each with more and more floors (and each floor has more clock hands to retrieve).

There is a good set of power-ups to get, which you obtain by redeeming different coloured crystals. Some power-ups can be upgraded. The left-hand side benefis you, the right-hand side impacts on how quickly (if at all) the building goes dark again.

The game took me 33 hours 44 minutes. In-game time is recorded and displayed along with your experience points score at the end.

At the end of each building (once) is a mini-game: destroy the blocks in a set number of moves. You can play this puzzle until you win, skip it, or use the ? hint button at top right which tells you the next move at 3,000 experience points a hint.

You get bonus crystals for completing the puzzle. It may also exempt the building from further rounds, but I'm not absolutely sure about that.

Edited on 10/26/2012 at 10:22:51 AM PST

Lord_Lollipop
Guppy
Guppy
130 Posts

[Post New]by Lord_Lollipop on Mar 28, 13 11:45 PM
One of the nicer match three games that I have played recently. If m3 was my type of game this would be a buy.

shepherdmoon
Guppy
Guppy
136 Posts

[Post New]by shepherdmoon on Jul 17, 13 2:45 PM
I'm thoroughly enjoying the game: quite different from other match 3 games, with more strategy than usual. It can get pretty challenging, which is good but it can be frustrating: I started out in timed mode, but then stopped that and switched to a relaxed mode game because I spent so much time agonizing over a puzzle that when I finally finished it the bad guy had stolen about 5 of the houses I spent so much time converting. The relaxed mode is much better to start out with as you're learning how best to attack the game play, I think. I will complete that and then start the game again in timed mode with a better idea of what to do. There are enough game-play elements that exist in the timed mode that don't exist in the relaxed mode that it makes it worth-while to play again: it's not just simply a timer added in, but much more!

I highly recommend the game. If you get frustrated with difficulty you can always go into relaxed mode and skip puzzle levels, so the challenge level is adjustable to any one's preference!

UPDATE: I am working on finishing this game for the 3rd time right now, which shows how addicting it is. After finishing rather easily on relaxed mode I tried timed mode and noticed that it's not as bad as I previously thought: If you lose a building that you won you only have to play one floor to win it back, not all the available floors like you had to at the beginning. This actually makes it beneficial to lose buildings, as it gives you an opportunity to gain some more gems to spend on upgrades without too much effort. The third time around I'm playing with a different strategy: trying to take my time to collect gems so I can meet my personal goal of getting all the upgrades, instead of rushing to finish as soon as possible like I was doing the second time. There is plenty of replay value considering all the different avenues one can take.

Edited on 08/10/2013 at 5:21:12 PM PST

Go to: