bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 19, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 19, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 19, 12 1:55 AM
This is the 4th entry in the "Echoes of the Past" series of games, and is an excellent SE game! The trouble with that is that this is a CE ----asking for double money. So is it worth a 2x payment? Let's see:

-there is a widescreen option that DOES NOT work. Inexcusable for a CE. (I know, I know,----"it works for me", "fills my monitor just fine", etc.----but for most of us with laptop WS, it does not work, and devs know it, so do as so many of the top devs are doing, and take care of it!)
-the graphics aren't as sharp and clear as they need to be----in fact, they are not nearly as good as the last couple of "Echoes" games. Can't imagine why this is so.
-the music is extremely repetitious.
-the voice acting is horrible.

But on the other hand:

-the story is captivating, well thought out, and grabbed me at once.
-the HOS are interactive, and some are the type where you place objects where they belong.
-the puzzles are extremely clever.
-and the puzzles are available for replay later, which is something you don't see often.
-there is a game designer for you to investigate upon completion of the game. Now I don't know how that will work, but kudos to the devs for offering this and the puzzle replays as opposed to concept art and musical soundtracks which I find utterly useless.

Anyway, the lack of WS would normally be a deal breaker for me, but the story is so good and the extras so different, that I'll go ahead and buy this. (But of course I never would have done so without the extra punch. )

Edited on 07/19/2012 at 11:54:06 AM PST

Lilabelle
Clownfish
Clownfish
516 Posts

[Post New]by Lilabelle on Jul 19, 12 1:59 AM
I have just finished the first two games in this series and I am half way through the third. The best review I can give at this point for me is that I was very disappointed that my last game was almost over. Why? Because they are so enjoyable. A nice mix of adventure, puzzles and very interactive hidden object scenes. the graphics are sharp and not dark and all blue. Test driving this fourth in the series I find that is has the same easy navigation quick refill on the hints and just tiny bits of sparkles in the casual mode which I find very helpful because I never play a game in one sitting, and these little reminders help me remember my place without resorting to the guide, which in this game is very comprehensive and keeps your place. This is a very nice addition to the series. I now have new game to look forward to playing.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jul 19, 12 2:13 AM
I love the first three in this series. This one isn't drawing me in quite as much, but I bought it and it's growing on me. My main complaint is that are too many puzzles/ I love the "putting objects back" H0 scenes.

megwoman25
Clownfish
Clownfish
742 Posts

[Post New]by megwoman25 on Jul 19, 12 2:36 AM
I love how many puzzles Ive encountered so far as I am a puzzle junkie. I love these games, I own all of them so that draws me in of course. It has 3 modes of play and I chose advanced at first but I found that it was too easy because of the black bar hints so I switched to hardcore to find out the black bar hints are still there I like to decipher what I need to find, not be told I need a brush. Also, the widescreen option did not work on my computer. Although it did in some of the other games in this series so Im kind of confused on that one since I still have the same computer....

What I liked though was the story was captivating, already digging it way more than the previous title. It seems to be somewhat lengthy looking at the strategy guide and what not. I love how in the extras, it tells you what the bonus game will be about because that is always something I am curious about. Also there are no wallpaper, music or screensavers FINALLY! but you can create your own game scenes and then play them! Not sure what that is but looking forward to someone letting us know that later on. Also, you get bonus mini games.

BUT unless someone comes back and says the "create your own game scenes" are the most awesome thing ever!!!, I am going to wait for the SE on this one because of the widescreen issues and the level of difficulty but I will purchase it at some point.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jul 19, 12 3:00 AM
Bummer -- this HOPA does not open in widescreen and the widescreen option has no effect here. Same was true for Citadels In Time issued last year.

There are:
• 3 modes of play -- hardest has no hints, no skips, no tutorial
• voiceovers
• not so fabulous graphics
• lots of tasks and a lot of back and forth from the beginning
• simple puzzles that just look tough
• HO scenes -- interactive searches and put things back
• a journal but no map
• the hint mirror works for HOs and adventure. It shows you exactly the place you need to go next -- sorry, not sure you can click the circle and be transported. I didn't try that.
• too much info when you click on areas of interest and in the journal
• Black bar info even in Hardest mode

Anyway -- I played the hour demo. The story starts out just a bit differently from the previous one. The current day Museum is nowhere in sight. Instead you see a vision of an ugly old woman chanting magical words, and a strange place showing in her crystal ball. You are transported there with very little explanation. You immediately encounter a helpless wizard who beseeches you to save the kingdom by finding the ten jewels that go in a magic wand. The jewels were stolen by the evil witch. You get the wand from him and off you go…

So far, at any rate, you could play this 4th installment without having played the others. Aside from being in the town of Orion, the characters are new. I played in advanced -- no sparkles at all, hints and skips available. Frankly, I was a bit bored. Yes, chalk some of that up to HOPA overload, but even the story had a familiar formula. The witch is determined to thwart your efforts and puts evil spells on things to block your progress. The second spell has mad dogs surrounding the town's doctor. Apparently the dogs have been told to "do no harm", since it takes a rather long time to complete the tasks to quell the spell.

I didn't even look at the SG, so not sure how many chapters there are, but in the demo hour I had yet to save the doctor and get the second gem. So, for me it would be a 6 hour trek through the main game.

Of course it is worth a demo. I just can't get very excited about recommending that.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jul 19, 12 4:53 AM
As with the other 3 games in this series, this is very interesting. My only regret is that I have an early appointment this morning and will have to wait until this afternoon to continue it.

From the first 30 min. of playing I found that the hint button is excellent, recharges quickly and works outside of HO scenes. The graphics are beautiful and the mini games are different, fun, and not too difficult, at least so far.

I was dissapointed to find that the wide screen does not work, and from other posts I see this is a universal complaint. I hope the dev. will fix this so that it can be corrected before the game goes to the game of the day tomorrow. I think the graphics would be awesome in wide screen.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 19, 12 6:02 AM
This game fills my widescreen just fine I was a littler apprehensive about the comments on the widescreen, but it works on my computer, I always said that if the CE doesn't fill my screen is not a buy for me.

I find the game to be beautifully done and with great graphics.

The story is your typical story with a medieval theme.

The puzzles so far has been in the easy side while paying on causal, the first HOscene I found were nicely well done and interactive.

I like the game and is a buy for me.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Jul 19, 12 6:55 AM
shorenuf wrote: The second spell has mad dogs surrounding the town's doctor. Apparently the dogs have been told to "do no harm", since it takes a rather long time to complete the tasks to quell the spell.

I had to laugh at that! I don't know how many games where something is just about to happen and you have to "hurry" to accomplish something in time, and it takes forever. I'm still on the demo and the poor doctor is still being threatened by those dogs. He's not even surrounded; he might as well just walk away. And why don't the dogs bother us when we go get the oil from the lamp post (poor doctor, here's someone to help him and getting oil is more important!)

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 19, 12 7:07 AM
Afternoon, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice between custom and system cursor.

There is a widescreen button in the "Options", but it doesn't work on my widescreen laptop.

There is voice-over.

The Inventory is at the top. There is a little lock at the left of it. When it's open, the Inventory disappears into the top, but when the lock is closed, the Inventory stays visible.

The Diary is at the top left side.

The HINT button and SG (strategy guide) are at the top right.

There is no Map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have nice graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button takes only about 15 seconds in Easy mode to refill.

There is also another type of HOS, which has you replace objects that are missing from the scene.

There are quite a few puzzles. I am not too keen on most of the puzzles, and from what I saw in the SG, there is a repetition of the same puzzles.
The SKIP button takes about 1 1/2 minutes to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when I demoed this game, and seeing that there are a lot of puzzles and not that many HOS, I will give the CE a miss, but will buy the SE when it comes out.

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Jul 19, 12 7:10 AM
After a poor week so far for games worth playing (for me anyway), I was so looking forward to a good CE. Unfortunately this isn't it. Same old story, saving town/people from wicked witch/spell. Drab locations visited in the 42 minutes I spent repeating puzzles, finding conveniently placed items and apparently being able to get close enough to 'monsters' to be able to throw powder over them. So they're monsters that can't move or they're just scared of dust. Hmmmm.

The best part of this really rather dull game was being glad not to fork out twice the price for a CE and I won't bother with the SE either. Disappointing.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 19, 12 7:31 AM
Played 30 minutes, regular mode

-5 chapters + bonus play
- 3 gameplay modes, Regular, advanced, expert
- Notebook
- No map
- Integrated SG
- Voiceovers
- Inventory is at the top of the screen
- 2 kind of H0, in one you find objects in the other you have to put them back where they belong. Very clear.
- Hint button (a mirror, top right side) refills quickly, regular mode, useful outside H0
- Skip takes longer to fill
- Absolutely gorgeous graphics
- Interesting puzzles, just to my liking
- Same old story of the witch you have to defeat since the first Echoes of the Past, but you get caught easily.

A definite buy

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 19, 12 8:09 AM
I purchased this game, despite the Extras being locked until after the bonus chapter had been played , purely because I had enjoyed the previous games in the series and I liked the novel idea of being able to design my own game levels and replay the minigames. To be perfectly honest with you I am regretting that decision and wish I had stuck to my guns ...

The noise when you click on a correct object in the hidden object scenes quickly became annoying to hear before the first scene had been completed and caused me to turn my sound off completely. This meant that the voiceovers were also turned off because all sounds are on one control and I couldn't strike a happy medium beween the two to suit me and I am not going to keep switching my speakers on and off from scene to scene.

I now have 5 gems in the magic staff out of the 10 and I do not know when I will get round to looking for any more purely because I am already bored with doing the same puzzles over and over again to get them and I just can't face playing any more at this point in time. The thought of being able to keep doing them over and over again after the game and bonus chapter has been completed is depressing when normally I would be cheering because the dev has given us a worthwhile extra as opposed to the usual concept art, screensavers etc which definitely aren't worth the extra money.

Sorry devs your graphics are OK and, even though a bit on the dark side, I didn't have any problems finding or putting the objects back in the hidden object scenes and I would like to beat that witch once and for all but, sadly, not with this game.

Cherb

ETA ...

The game filled my widescreen monitor when Fullscreen was selected but not when Widescreen was .

Edited on 07/19/2012 at 9:29:45 AM PST

kinget
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by kinget on Jul 19, 12 8:33 AM
megwoman) Also there are no wallpaper, music or screensavers FINALLY! but you can create your own game scenes and then play them! Not sure what that is but looking forward to someone letting us know that later on. Also, you get bonus mini-games.[/quote wrote:
NO wallpapers? NOT a plus for me, as I use them with Jigsaws Galore to create puzzles, so I always look for CEs with them. Bonus mini-games may be enticing to some, but not to me, and I prefer HO scenes to puzzles anyday.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Jul 19, 12 10:04 AM
REVIEW ON COMPLETED GAME
There are 4 good things about this game. The navigation is perfect and the hint button is really fast. The BC was a decent length and it had new locations. That's it.

It's mundane and tedious. The graphics are poor. The music is dreary. There is no story, unless some think defeating a witch is a story. The HOS, while interactive are just ok, which I suppose could possibly be called good. The puzzles bored me to distraction, with one in particular having to be repeated about 10 times in different locations. After the 3rd one I just didn't even bother and skipped the rest. Same with the BC - one puzzle had to be repeated about 6 times. There was nothing new to pique my interest, or to even hold my interest at all. It was a wishy-washy effort with no imagination and I was ever so glad to come to the end.

I cannot comment on the Create Your Own Game feature as it locked me out and told me I had to complete the main game and BC, which I had just done. So go figure on that one.

In my opinion this game is a monumental flop, and I can't rate it at all, not even a 1/10.

Edited on 07/19/2012 at 10:26:36 AM PST

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Jul 19, 12 10:32 AM
So as I started reading the reviews this morning I found myself thinking; "Fourth in the series? I thought there were only two..." then checked my game manager and I am SO far behind on my games I haven't even played three yet! So sad...

Any whoo - this is a buy for me, I really enjoy this series & devs seem to have put a lot into this newest offering (that said I can't get widescreen either, but that's never a deal breaker for me)! I really like the graphics & really, really like the details I've seen in the demo; the little mouse in one scene, the way the eyeball follows your cursor ont he menu (oh sure, it's an old trick - but creeps me out every time!!), the wealth of info in the journal (sometimes they are utterly useless...), three difficulty options, etc.

I do worry I'll get frustruated with more puzzles/fewer H0 scenes, but the puzzles seem to be well thought out & unique - so maybe they will be enjoyable? Do like a variety of H0 scenes as well!

As for the story - it isn't one that grabs you by the throat right off - but seems that's because is 4 of 4 & it's assumed you've played the first three and know "what's at stake" as it were. However, the found drawing promises some intruiging turns to come...

Of course I have to go and play 3rd one then this one, but I don't mind playing my games out of order!!

Happy gaming!

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Jul 19, 12 11:12 AM
Whilst the widescreen option doesn't work, I'm really enjoying this game. Nothing new really. Playing advanced level it's got a refreshing new way of moving through the game. Think the graphics are fab, voice overs good, HO scenes nicely done and total gameplay challenging but not too frustrating.
Started off in advanced mode seeing those dreaded sparkles, but seem to have stopped now.
My new super duper fastest ever broadband in the UK has slowed so much, I'm still waiting for D/L to finish NINE hours later, so haven't had chance to play full game. Loved the trial though, so hope full game works ok!

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Jul 19, 12 1:05 PM
I really loved this series and this one is no exception. Everything that can be said has been so I will keep this short. I will opt for the SE on this one as the hint system is supurb and I never even used the SG at all in the demo. I don't use the extras and the bonus games are usually disappointing so I don't purchase CE's for those reasons...although someone said you can make jigsaw puzzles out of the art so I may find a use for the one's that I already have. The create your own game might be interesting...so if there is a super sale...perhaps I will change my mind about the CE....

Edited on 07/19/2012 at 1:08:07 PM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 19, 12 1:06 PM
Have the other 2 Echoes of the Past and so just had to buy this one.. Would have waited but buy today and get an extra punch.. Storyline is supper and love the puzzles. It sure don't let you down this time around. Graphics are good and like the mirror with the hints.. Give this a 5 out of 5 stars..

Go to: