bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Eternal Journey: New Atlantis Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 22, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Eternal Journey: New Atlantis Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Eternal Journey: New Atlantis Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 07/22/2012 at 4:51:20 AM PST

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Eternal Journey: New Atlantis Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Jul 22, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Jul 22, 12 1:03 AM
Morning, all...

There are 9 chapters plus the Bonus chapter. Only the first 3 chapters are available in the trial version.

The SG (strategy guide) stays open where you last left it open.

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a Widescreen option, but guess what? It doesn't work with my laptop. And when I declick the option, it shrinks the image.

You can also change the screen resolution (not that it made any difference to me).

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The Diary is on the left.

The HINT button, which shows you exactly what to do outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes), is on the right.

Just above the the HINT button is the MAP, which shows your current location, and where actions are available. You can also use the Map to jump.
The Map will become available a little into the game.

Just below the HINT button is the SG.

The HOS are interactive.

Puzzles are on the easy side, so even I can do them, and I am loving it.
And, of course, they can be skipped.

Both the HINT and SKIP buttons fill within 30 seconds in Easy mode.

Graphics are very well done, and animation is very realistic.

Gameplay is interesting and fun.

Forgot to mention: There are 18 of something to collect throughout the game. Won't say what it is so it won't spoil the surprise when you encounter the first one.

--- --- ---

Darn it... just when I was telling myself not to buy any more CEs, this game comes along and takes all the fun out of waiting for the SE.

I was gripped by the story right from the start, and decided this is a must-have-right-this-minute game.

Off to buy.

Edited on 07/22/2012 at 9:18:38 AM PST

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 22, 12 1:09 AM
Another great game by the developer. I am loving this game. The graphics are great and the characters look very realistic. The puzzles I have encountered are not too difficult as well. Very well crafted game. I love reading books and researching info on Atlantis so this is a very interesting game for me as well. Futuristic and a great game for Sci Fi lovers. What a pleasant Sunday surprise! Two great games this week!!! Can't ask for anything better than that.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Jul 22, 12 1:32 AM
I like it and it opened and filled my widescreen automatically. I just don't understand what it is about this...why doesn't it do it for everyone? And I agree we should not have to jump through hoops and change our settings. The technology is available to automatically detect and make the needed adjustments.

We have been asking for Sci Fi and I think we got it with this one. Played about 20 minutes, stopped to buy and played another 20 minutes or so. Will play some more to give it my all, after sleep.

Graphics are good, music appears to fit, SG is good, hints tell you what you need to know, and I am happy

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Jul 22, 12 1:42 AM
Astonishing,Spellbinding,Captivating! I absolutely love it! One of the best storylines in years. Although the puzzles are pretty simple...and the overall gameplay somewhat easy. It still held my interest and made me hungry for more.

Finally, developers have listened to the pleas from those of us who have cried for these kind's of storylines. I commend and applaud you! Great Job! The animation's are some of the best I've seen. The graphics are a little grainy and blurry, although I think intentional for effective perposes. This is a must try for sure. And a happy and enjoyable purchase for myself. We're in for a real treat with this beauty! Enjoy! Thanks !

Yes: Widescreen
Yes: Several screen resolution choices
Yes: Voiceovers
Yes: Journal
Yes: Hog Scenes
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: Extras & Bonus Locked
Modes of Play: Casual/Expert
Sound: Music/Effects/Ambient
Theme: Exquisite Sci-Fi Adventure

I rate this game: “FINE SWINE”
Great game with the best graphics and story. Bells and whistles, best, greatest, I love it.
‘ ‘
(o)

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Jul 22, 12 3:32 AM
After the excellent and thorough reviews from Valdy and LovetoMissLisa, there really is not too much to add so far as specifics of the game are concerned.

Plus
-love the sci-fi theme, it's one that gets too little treatment, so this is very welcomed
-graphics are excellent
-the map is interactive
-the story is well crafted, and very interesting

Minus
-no working widescreen, especially bad for this game when you consider how nice this particular theme would be with WS presentation for us laptop owners

Beyond those few comments, I can't add anything to what's already been mentioned.

I'll make yet another exception to my reluctance to buy games which don't give WS and buy this game. The story is too intriguing too pass up.

[Post New]by kris_cross48 on Jul 22, 12 5:05 AM
a great way to start a quiet sunday am..first thing..you look at the reviews and everyone is very happy..second..look at the tech notes..not a thing. Oh Joy! Download the game and it is everything everyone has written.
CBX, my wide screen opened immediately, no fiddling around with options. I'm sorry yours didn't.
Great plot..world coming to an end..zapped off to Mars...love it.One sees little good sci-fi in here so this is a joy.
graphics are clear but somewhat industrial..I guess because one is in a spaceship..but I really like the yummy deep graphics of a libary and leather chairs...ah well, different game.
One cares about the character but I'm already wondering what happened to her beloved. I hope the rest of the game rounds this out.
So, played it..and am buying it.
have a great sunday!
kris

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Jul 22, 12 6:34 AM
Well the game opens nicely in my widescreen not problems with that.

Because I have seen so many people with problems with games I suggest to check your graphics card as I too had problem with mine on some games and it was my graphics set up and not the games, for some reason my graphics set up were changed and I didn't noticed.

I like the game, I was taken back by the nice details on the opening, I could see the freckles on the back of the girl.

The story is your typical mystery adventure, nice puzzles.

Its definitely a buy for me.

bfgfan25
Squid
Squid
78 Posts

[Post New]by bfgfan25 on Jul 22, 12 6:42 AM
I agree with all the positive comments. I love the unique storyline, interactive H0 scenes, and interactive map. Well done, devs!

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Jul 22, 12 6:49 AM
After regretting my last CE purchase and again vowing to buy no more ( especially ones that do not reveal what we are paying the extra money for apart from a usually small bonus chapter) along comes this great game which said "Resistance is futile" , and it took control of my mouse and clicked on the Buy button before I could blink .

The game filled my widescreen monitor but it was stretched to fit and although it isn't too noticeable in the game itself the logo was oval instead of being round.

The storyline for this game is intriguing and I thought the start of the game was great for reeling customers like me in and making them change their minds. Having a sci-fi setting is an absolutely wonderful change and a real breath of fresh air after all the mansions and asylums .

The graphics are very good and I have had no problems distinguishing anything and I love that you have to move things in the hidden object scenes in order to find the items on the list and this makes those scenes much more interesting to do .

The music and sound effects fit the game and my speakers are still on which is a good thing because otherwise I would have missed the excellent voiceover .

I played the demo in Expert mode and didn't notice any sparkles but I did note that it said that it would take 60 seconds for the hint to refill in this mode as opposed to the 30 seconds in Casual. There are 9 chapters - 72 pages ( although there isn't a lot on each page) in the main Strategy Guide, the Bonus chapter is still greyed out and unavailable.

I was so engrossed in the game that I never thought to look at the map so I am glad that Valdy is on the ball and checked to see if it allowed you to jump from location to location as I think this is an excellent addition to the game for those who don't like the adventure aspect and wearing sneakers out like me .

I'm off to take one small step for womankind on the surface of Mars .

Cherb

ETA ...

What a great game, I loved it and the bonus .

Edited on 08/12/2012 at 2:09:37 PM PST

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Jul 22, 12 7:47 AM
This story is so different from what we are used to that I was hooked from the opening scenes

Since Valdy and Miss Liss gave us such great reviews again I will keep it brief.

This has excellent voice overs. The game play is fast. You are moving from location to location a lot but the interactive map makes it incredibly easy.

The graphics were great in most areas. Some were a bit foggy but they may have planned it that way

HOS are very interactive and not to difficult. Just right IMO. Mini games make you think but can be skipped relatively fast.

I feel the same as Miss Lisa about the wide screen Didn't work for me either but I will buy this anyway Simply because the story is fantastic, I am hooked and wish I could keep playing right now!

Great Job Devs!!

Don"t forget to watch for the release of MAYAN PROPHECIES: SHIP OF SPIRITS!!
I just tested it and can't wait to finish Another great HOPA!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Jul 22, 12 7:52 AM
Nearly played the whole demo, casual as always for demos

- 9 chapters + bonus play
- Integrated SG
- Notebook
- Map, you can jump from one place to another, shows areas of interest
- Voice-over and very realistic life "sounds"
- Hint refills quickly (casual) and is useful outside HO
- Skip button
- Mini games pretty easy
- H0, you interact, sometimes need 2 objects to get one
- Good clear graphics
- Story...well you'll see !!

Definitely not keen on SF (though I was glad that even in an advanced civilization you still needed sticky tape and tweezers...) so this game is not a buy for me.And I found the game really easy, but I'm sure a lot of fishies will enjoy it.

caseymom
Minnow
Minnow
206 Posts

[Post New]by caseymom on Jul 22, 12 9:29 AM

Edited on 07/23/2012 at 2:47:34 AM PST

[Post New]by NancySusan on Jul 22, 12 9:56 AM
I betaed this one a while back, and it had some technical issues then on my aged XP, which I noted. They've cleaned a lot of that up, which is very nice, and except in some of the scenes where the cursor was a little creaky due to a lot of effects, it played pretty well in the trial. I remember being kicked out once in the beta and nothing like that happened with the trial. I found that, despite my usual complaints about some of the voice acting (i.e., pretend English accents), and some anachronisms in the, what 22nd century?, the story has also drawn me in, and with 2 credits, I will be getting it. I noticed this time that the interactive map (thank you, very nice), notes scenes where the hidden objects you need to collect throughout the game are. The only thing I don't know is whether or not the map location stops showing the hidden object as being there when you find it -- I think it may not, because I had already collected one in a scene which still showed it on the map. During the demo on the easy setting I only checked the SG once to see how it was set up, but as people have said, the hint system is very good, so unless the bonus game is really important to the story, some people may prefer to wait for the SE. I, by the way, am a SciFi fan and would much rather see a spaceship than witches and demons

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Jul 22, 12 10:38 AM
Another excellent game. What am I going to do to afford the great CDs? If I get a job to have the money then I lose time to play. What a fix.

I would love to wait for the SE, but I don't have the will power, so I am off to buy.

I love the map and the hint button is very helpful. The graphics are outstanding. Thanks to the dev. and to FB.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Jul 22, 12 11:28 AM
I am not as excited about this game as most fishes are. Maybe it's because I am not into space games. The graphics are good and if you like this type of story, it would be good too. The voice overs and instructions are very good. Like that it has a map and you can jump to where you want to go. Hints reload fast. I have lots of game ouit there that I enjoy more so won't be a buy for me.

mst3kr
Guppy
Guppy
115 Posts

[Post New]by mst3kr on Jul 22, 12 12:09 PM
After 36 minutes of play on Advanced...

I have to say that I'm impressed with the graphics, music, storyline, voiceovers, sound effects, & map. I'm a sci-fi fan and this is a wonderful breath of fresh air from the "standard" abandoned asylums, creepy inherited mansions, or evil queens/sorcerers.

However, I have a few gripes, that while really truly trivial, just bugged me:
- First, in the opening, when the main character is laying on her side and moving around in bed, her locket is planted firmly on her chest when it should've dangling/moving. (I know, I know. That IS rather picky of me...)
- Second, she states she just got engaged but there's no ring on her finger, which I know is NOT a necessity these days but still...
- Third, in the temple, you must find pieces to a wetsuit in order to go diving, but when we see the main character finally go diving she's not in the wetsuit! Don't force me into a game mechanic and then not deliver.
- Fourth, if everyone on Mars has travelled to the excavation site, and there seems to be only one track to get there, why/how is there still a train at HQ?

These little "inconsistencies" just bother me. They say to me that the dev didn't consider [logicial] details. With all that said, I'm still intrigued by the story & the game's look & feel to consider buying. However, I don't know if I want to spend it on a CE. Maybe if I do, the devs can use the money to enhance their next game.

--------------------------------------

ETA: So, I purchased the CE and I have to say that my earlier quibbles were so amazingly small compared to the scope, look, feel, & story of this game. I must say that this game gets my vote for Game Of The Year. Compelling, unique, fun, creepy, interweaving plots, betrayal, and redemption. The Bonus Game REALLY adds to the main game's story. I was suprised as to the ending of the main game and was really happy to see it "continued" in the Bonus. An excellent story, great music & graphics, and just so different that I am SO glad I didn't let my stupidity over minor things keep me from playing a gem of a game. If you're on the fence about buying the CE, don't waver. Get it and have a great, great time with it! Well done devs!!!! I can't wait to see what you come up with next!

Edited on 07/26/2012 at 5:22:50 PM PST

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Jul 22, 12 12:20 PM
I just finished playing the game and bonus game - goooooood game for me. This game hit me with WOW! right off the bat and just kept coming all the way through to the end and beyond into the bonus game. Well made, great story, wonderful, immersive graphics and it just really blew me away. I hit so many points in the game where I just sat back and said WOW! - been a long, long time since a game has done that to me. This one caught me up the way Riven did back in the day.
I know I'm a rotten reviewer, which is why I usually keep my mouth shut, but this game is just fantastic and I can't keep my mouth shut.
Really wonderful game!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Jul 22, 12 12:44 PM
Bratzgram thank you for the advance notice. I spent many college years studying the Maya and now a game is coming out about the Maya! Hurrah! Can't wait. Wish I could have beta tested that one. Surprising since it is "2012" and all, we have not had all that many (if any) games on the Maya. Mostly on the Titanic. Ho hum! Tired of sinking boats. This game is great. I have played more and hope everyone gives it a chance.

Go to: