Farm Fables Sequel Suggestions

[Post New]by weralacroix on Jul 25, 12 12:42 PM
Hey guys

What would you like to see in the next Farm Fables?

Here's your chance to shape the next game.

You can suggest anything from simple fixes to complicated features.

Animals, graphics, story, gameplay, features, style, difficulty.........

Anything you want!

Edited on 07/25/2012 at 12:45:54 PM PST

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

Re:Farm Fables Sequel Suggestions

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Jul 25, 12 12:45 PM
Hi Fishies,

Just swimming in here to add a sticky to this post by the developer of Farm Fables. Hope you'll share your thoughts and suggestions for a sequel with him.

bfgMonongahela

[Post New]by EPF4CATSBK on Jul 25, 12 6:41 PM
You already know I love, love love this game so my only minor suggestions are

Names for the items so we don't have to guess (or in more obvious places for those of us with poor eyesight who didn't catch them on the sell page lol

How about giving us some money back for our machine purchases, really heart breaking to spend so much money for nothing in return lol

BUT MOST OF ALL BRING IT ON FAST AS WE ARE ALMOST FINISHED LOL

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 25, 12 6:51 PM
Hi again Weralacroix

The thing I would like to see is for there to be an indicator on each machine of how close to completing a batch it is while it is working.

I'm one of those who likes to replay levels, adjusting my strategy, to shave as much time off as possible, even after getting gold, so I am usually hovering my mouse over the next action I want to take. Currently I can't always tell if that next action will be harvesting a crop or collecting a product/setting machine to work again.

--------------
I'm still on my first pass through the game (on level 62 or thereabouts) so I may think of something else later but for now that's the thing I'd most like to see added.

I'm still loving the variety of setup and goals from level to level and not always making the same old products, and also loving the imagination that has gone into choosing some of the products to be manufactured and what combinations of input products they need. For example: I was curious what I would have to make from bamboo and would never have guessed .

As for animals - I'd love to see horses but that's just because I like them. I guess I can't make that a serious suggestion because I can't think what you could get a horse to produce (unless it was horse dung to be used for growing roses ).

Of course, I am joking about the horse dung but I would like to grow and sell dark red roses &, if you wanted a complex process to include them, perhaps a cake made from flour, eggs and butter, decorated with a red rose.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 25, 12 7:03 PM
Hi EPF4CAT - you snuck in while I was thinking/typing . nice to see you and thanks so much for all your solution posts . I like to do each level to gold, and sometimes shave some off that too, for myself first then look to see how you and others decided to do it. I may join in posting on them eventually but for now I have free time for either playing or posting, not really both.

On this:
EPF4CATSBK wrote:How about giving us some money back for our machine purchases, really heart breaking to spend so much money for nothing in return lol

I originally wished we'd get some money back but then changed my mind because I decided that it was a fun part of the challenge to have to be careful what order to build machines on the levels without enough slots for everything at once.

I suppose a partial refund, wouldn't necessarily take away the need to be careful, strategy wise when we are choosing what to build first, but............
............ where I could see it possibly spoiling the game is on those levels where we currently get lots of machines to start with, knowing that we'll have to demolish some eventually: If we could always get a lot of money by deleting them, that could make a level too simple (I'm thinking of ones like that one where we could only afford bamboo at first but had several fully upgraded machines for processing it. If demolishing those got even a partial refund I'd have been able to grow strawberries from the beginning of the level which would have reduced the challenge).

& LOL - I totally agree with your third suggestion - about bringing the sequel out fast (so long as it is tested enough to be of the same high quality as this one!)

[Post New]by EPF4CATSBK on Jul 25, 12 11:45 PM
Your quite welcome regarding the posts, I just know how nice they are when I'm really stuck in other games and I too just can't move on until I have gold lol

Yes I'm torn on the machine thing too, but I just can't bring myself to throw anything away for nothing in real life so recycling is a must lol.

I absolutely LOVE the Rain only sure wish it came more often lol Hey snow and wind (for instant gathering perhaps) might be interesting or could it be my hands are just cramping up lol!!

Catsnkites
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by Catsnkites on Jul 26, 12 9:52 PM
I would also like an indicator on the machines to show processing times.

Would like to see the water drops squarely in the middle of the plant, so it's easy to tell which one is "thirsty".

And, though no one has mentioned it at all ... PLEASE don't get caught in the "medal for everything" trap ... unless those are awarded at the END of a level ... one of THE most annoying things about those is being in the middle of a great ... down to the second ... strategy ... and getting suddenly interrupted to say that I've planted my 100th crop, or collected my 200th egg, or some other such nonsense.

At first, I thought also of a rebate on destroyed buildings, BUT I decided that I really liked the "no charge" water and rain on some levels ... I think the benefit of less clicking and water expense takes care of the non-existent building rebates.

A thought on snow ... perhaps it could be a combo ... the snow has to melt to water the plants (so it takes longer), BUT the option of watering the plants is still there ... sometimes, we need to quickly harvest and sell (or process) and other times, it's OK to let something grow while we focus on processing something else.

Critter ideas ... well, my first thought was pigs, but, as an ag major, it always annoyed me that the pigs made ham and kept right on living (in those OTHER farm games!) ... peacocks could make feathers used to decorate the clothing or kites ... geese could produce down to fill pillows made from fabric and down (yeah, I know, normally geese are not alive after the down is taken, but I'll let that one pass! ).

As far as plants ... trees for wood?

LOVE this game ... and EPF4CATBK ... thank you for your hints and tricks.

[Post New]by gra_del on Jul 27, 12 5:07 AM
Ican't wait! I love this game, but I'm so bad at strategy, that it's really hard for me to get the star on many levels! I can't play level 77 because I'm short of stars!!! I've replayed most levels, but I can't figure out how to beat them! But that's perhaps the good thging about this game!!

[Post New]by Fifi_Fluff on Jul 29, 12 4:19 AM
I love the game too, very addictive. The graphics and ambient sounds are lovely, I would enjoy a thunder storm or the odd rainbow just to be cute It is great to see the different seasons but I love to spot new elements with each level screen so season specific items like snowmen and certain flowers in the background would enhance the game for me.

I would like to see the story weave through each level a little more - characters placing orders or organising events that need certain items. I think it's because I enjoy character development in a game - I am not motivated by high scores but in helping the little guy achieve his goals!!

I would also appreciate a machine timer and a resale value. And I agree that the labelling of items was a bit vague - why 'flour machine' and not simply 'mill'? Why 'fabric machine' and not 'loom'? Larger labelling too, would help.

But my big fantasy sequel would be the same enjoyable game play, ambience and graphics but in a new location!! I would LOVE a tropical version, with erm... flamingo feathers, pineapples, parrot eggs!!! And erm...a lakeside version with apples and fish and, er....logs from beavers!!! And why not an urban cityscape rooftop farm! With rooftop beehives for urban honey and rabbits for angora wool and even a wee rooftop goat for cashmere!! With a story to unfold at each level, a bit of 'empire building', I think I would be in girlie game heaven!!! (I'm wasted here - I should be a game developer!!!)

But thank you so much for Farm Fables as it is, I am hooked.

[Post New]by Fifi_Fluff on Jul 29, 12 4:28 AM
Just one last thing.....all the animals and the produce in the game are so wonderfully plump and 3D but the cartoon cut-scenes are so disappiontingly flat. As the player, I identify with the 'hero' of the story and (shamefully) my vanity wants her to be portrayed with the same pleasing curvyness and long eyelashes as seen on the cow!

[Post New]by Fifi_Fluff on Jul 29, 12 6:28 AM
Ok, so the cow HASN'T got long eyelashes! In my head she does

[Post New]by EPF4CATSBK on Jul 29, 12 6:26 PM
In replaying the levels I realized I'd like to see the choice of deleting 1 or All on the Sales list. When there is 50 or more of an item and you want to keep 3 it would be so much easier to click on the all then minus 3 than clicking one at a time 47 times.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 31, 12 5:23 PM
My new request is for the machines, when they show me if I have all the ingredients (name is in red if don't have any) - it would be great if they could also show how many of each thing I have.

Then I could see at a glance if an upgraded machine is going to operate at full capacity rather than a x3 machine only making 2 because I am short one of an ingredient. If it's essential to my strategy to run at max, I currently check the storage list, but it would be great not to need to. Btw, it's GREAT, that we can see storage contents just by hovering cursor over it!

I'd also like to second several other suggestions:

I like the idea of having option of '1' and 'ALL' when removing items from sale too instead of having to take the whole lot back. I too have found myself selling 20 or 30 of something by keep clicking 1 because I wanted to keep 6 of them for processing. If you could implement that idea, I'd be able to say sell all then take the 6 off sale. (To anyone reading before demo: I am only raising this because we have been asked what we'd like - it doesn't happen enough to put me off the game and I believe that the timer is stopped while we are in the store so it shouldn't have any time implications).

I agree about water drops in centre of square. I have played so much that I have got used to it in the meantime since mentioning it in the other thread, but it's still a good idea IMO.

I strongly agree with sticking to what you do now re: not interrupting play to tell us we picked our 100th this or that. I was playing something (just before you released this) that did that and it really did break up the flow and meant a click wouldn't register if done as the box popped up .

I like the idea of wind for gathering & it would be nice if the snow did something (something helpful of course! LOL).

How about having extra helper animal options, as well as the hedgehogs for gathering - how about 2 other animal types of around the same costs to help with watering/harvesting. Since the hedgehog is a woodland animal, perhaps a squirrel to harvest but I can't think of a watering animal right this minute .

I like Fifi's tropical, lakeside, urban ideas/details (.... the next 3 sequels? )

On making the cut scenes sort of 3D too.... I have no strong feeling either way, unless it would make the game too much bigger. But current size worth it IMO for the graphics within the levels.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 31, 12 5:38 PM
Fifi_Fluff wrote:And I agree that the labelling of items was a bit vague - why 'flour machine' and not simply 'mill'? Why 'fabric machine' and not 'loom'? Larger labelling too, would help.

I'd rather it was still labelled as flour rather than mill etc.. I can see the point that a 'flour machine' is effectively a mill, but.............. currently, when you click on a building space, the pop up window to select your machine gives everything a one word name (i.e. leaves 'machine' off it) which is also the name of the product that it makes and I prefer it that way.

When really going for it against the clock (trying to beat own time, even if already have gold ), it's quite good, JMO, to be thinking I need flour or need a kite and seeing those as the exact names the machines are under on that selection panel.

-------------
ETA I am in 2 minds about the following suggestion, not sure if it would be a good change or better left alone:

Now that I've reached a stage where there are about 20 machines to choose from, I am wondering if it would be good to have the selection list in alphabetic order.

But I'm not sure about that because currently they are in the order in which they are introduced to the game, which is also price order. That's handy in the couple of levels where you need to build then demolish one set of machines and build another to complete a goal and want to build the cheapest lot first. & it's also easier to remember that the most recent ones will be near the end.

I don't tend to have much trouble finding the machine I need anyway. If no-one else has either, then maybe the current display order is best(?). Just thought I'd put that out here and see if anyone else has an opinion on it .

Edited on 07/31/2012 at 5:50:46 PM PST

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 7:28 AM
I'd like to see the Best Time feature show other player profiles (on own copy) so we can try and best other members of the household, currently it just shows the best time for the current player.

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 7:31 AM
How about adjusting the pricing in future versions such that raw crops generate far less money than processed goods? I found an awful lot of levels very samey in that you upgraded highest value crop to *3 and kept planting and selling. It would be good to have to figure out different strategies to finish these levels and to put some thought into which processes yielded the best profits.

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 7:34 AM
How about having farm shop customers pop up randomly to make higher cash offers for specific goods just to throw a spanner into the works? These could be optional transactions but necessary to finish high cash goal levels on more difficult levels.

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 7:51 AM
For versatile crops try

tomatoes: sauce, salad, chutney, pizza, ploughmans
onions: chutney, pickles, ploughmans, cheese & onion pie
cheese: ploughmans, pizza, cheese & onion pie
cucumber: pickles, ploughmans, salad

Of course meat would open up a lot of avenues but including it is problematic. I find other farm games where pigs apparently 'lay' whole hams rather annoying, especially since these games appeal to a young market who might find that somewhat confusing!

Alternative animals could be ducks, geese, quail or ostrich for eggs; goats or buffalo for milk and cheese; llamas/alpacas for wool.

How about a separate orchard for fruits to make juices/pies/jellies etc?

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 8:05 AM
Bonus mini-game for every chapter? Something different but related, e.g. match 3 farm products.

[Post New]by JackieMurfin on Aug 1, 12 8:46 AM
Would love to have an awards section, just to give us something extra to aim for but agree with catsnkites - give award at end of level, no annoying fanfares in the middle of a game!

Go to: