bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Great Little War Game

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 27, 12 2:30 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Great Little War Game? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Great Little War Game page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Great Little War Game

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Jul 27, 12 2:31 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 27, 12 6:28 AM
I bought the game but review is written as at end of demo with a few (marked) edits later.

My first impression was that it wouldn't be for me because I had been hoping for another tower defence style game - i.e. place stationary units and protect a route from incoming enemies.

This isn't one of those but I kept playing and it grew on me anyway . I am sure there will be experts of this type of game who will use more accurate, genre appropriate terminology but the best way I can describe it, being new to this kind of war game, is like chess meets some aspects of tower defence.

I mention chess because, unlike a tower defence game, you move your units on each turn, and your opponents can move around too, so you have to think of defence positions as well as attack when it's your turn.

I mention aspects of tower defence because although this game isn't that at all, what appeals to me is the kind of strategy I first learned in tower defence games - placing units where you think they will be most effective and choosing wisely to strike a balance between plentiful cheaper units or having fewer more expensive (and more useful) ones. I suspect that in later levels I will be trying to manage with a few cheaper units as possible to save up for the others.

I guess I am trying to say that if you like tower defence you may be surprised (as I was) to find yourself enjoying the challenge of this game too.

As to the war game aspect of it: I thought that may put me off but I found that the style of the graphics, made it not feel worringly realistic and I was so caught up in working out my strategy that I felt it was all about the strategy and didn't feel that I was playing at war at all.

Most of the time it's a view looking from above. Get (very brief) cut scenes for some of the attacks but they are so cartoony that, IMO anyway, it doesn't feel remotely realistic. ETA & there's an option to turn those cut scenes off anyway - see 'battle zoom' under Settings.

To me it's a strategy game and the units happen to be soldiers/tanks etc. rather than feeling that I am playing at/glorifying war. Yes there are voiceover comments accompanying the action and you get acknowledgement comments when you click on a unit, but I automatically tune both out. (I learned to do that in Westward IV where every citizen would 'speak' when selected, and in Toy Defense - tuning out the boy's continuous comments).

to be contd....

Edited on 07/27/2012 at 10:15:31 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 27, 12 6:42 AM
... contd
Gameplay:

Strategy without TM - the only counter is the number of turns taken to meet the goal.

ETA another BIG PLUS - you can save part way through a mission and reload if it goes wrong

On your turn you get to move each unit once and shoot once with each unit that is in range of an enemy. Click on your unit to see green circles where it can move to & red circles around any enemy units already in range.

Unless the enemy unit is overcome, it will shoot back once. (But being shot back at does less damage than an attack shot).

You are not tied to moving one, attacking with it, then moving the next one - you can mix it up - move a few into position - then some attacks, then move others and so on and, IIRC, I also sometimes did the attack first and then moved the unit afterwards. There is an undo button which will undo your latest move - useful if you moved to reach a target but find it still out of reach.

After the first level you get some extra coins with each new day (turn) and can buy extra units at your base. By level 3 there was a jeep to allow a unit to move further.

I only reached the 3rd campaign (of 20) in the standard campaign of campaign mode during my trial (spent a lot of time on the 2nd one - see more below) and the game offers other modes too (including one playing v. a human opponent sitting next to you, but I didn't try that out yet). So length shouldn't be an issue. ETA: Even in campaign mode there are more than 20: Using the 'switch' button already shows another set of 10, 'Call of booty', and it says that completing the first 20 will unlock the next one, 'All out war', then the achievements refer to a mission called 'Holiday from hell' too. On top of all that, apparently there are other difficulty levels to unlock after completing sets of missions at basic difficulty.

Of the 3 campaigns tried so far - nice variety: 1st simple one had to see off the enemy, 2nd one had to capture an enemy base (get gold trophy if done within so many turns), 3rd - where I ran out of demo time - have to defend the general from incoming troops for 8 days (turns) to beat the level.

But I think this is a game where some folk will maybe feel that they would prefer more explanation. I did feel that I worked a lot out for myself by just trying it. I prefer to do that anyway but I know not everyone feels the same way.

tbc (again )....

Edited on 07/27/2012 at 10:23:28 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 27, 12 6:52 AM
contd ...........
(sorry for 3 post review instead of my usual 2, but there's more to say than usual )

The main thing which confused me at first (and meant I spent a lot of demo time on campaign 2) was that the instruction was something about taking the enemy base with my engineer but I didn't find it all that clear how to take it.

Edit after buying (yes I gave up waiting for new month LOL) - turns out you need to have an engineer work twice on it (or two engineers once each), by getting them close and then clicking on the purple circle which will appear on a corner of the base. More detail here: http://forums.bigfishgames.com/posts/list/218511.page

Another hint - in case anyone else, like me, thinks they can only buy grunts from the base at first: It shows a grunt for 50 coins when you first click on it but the little pictures on the left hand side of that buying screen show what's available. Clicking on a different one changes the right hand side display to that unit, showing what it is, what it can do and how much it costs.

In summary, I was a little confused at times, especially by exactly what was needed to trigger the end of campaign 2, but I enjoyed the (strategy all the way!) gameplay, I expect to find it challenging and I will definitely be buying it .

ETA: After buying, I am enjoying finding out how the enemy's choices will vary depending on your positions. For example, SPOILER from campaign 2 (white text): one time, after my engineer was part way through taking control of the enemy barracks and was still standing close to it, the enemy priority was to buy a new grunt and get rid of my engineer before he could complete the task.

Another time, I was part way through taking control but had moved my engineer further away to safety. That time, the enemy priority was to buy their own engineer to work on the barracks and take control back
. END SPOILER

I've also found out how to take control of the enemy's source of daily income . (If you want details - see the link above )

Edited on 07/27/2012 at 1:26:32 PM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Jul 27, 12 9:18 AM
we found this game to be a little too difficult for us, so we wll not b this game.------------doug and lisa

schubert2
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by schubert2 on Jul 28, 12 11:52 AM
Daisy_May - Thank you so much for all of your comments. I read your comments before playing and they made all the difference! You really need to know the basic rules to develop any kind of strategy. This game desperately needs an in depth tutorial. Maybe the developers could at least add a comment telling players to read Daisy_May's forum comments before playing. Thanks again for all of your efforts.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 14, 12 7:09 PM
I guess those who like these sort of war strategy game may like this. I really dont like it. Ok great graphics, but not that easy game play, Turn based strategy game takes off the edge of anticipating the next wave.

Plants vs Zombies was frustrating due to the stingy suns given, but its a better strategy game in terms of available units in the form of various plants.

Sorry guys, its a 2.5/5 for me

Go to: