Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

Comments for 'Great Little War Game'

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 27, 12 7:30 AM
I've said tons in the review thread so, as far as comments go, I'll just say it's a definite buy for me .

I didn't expect to enjoy something called war game but, having been pleasantly surprised by Toy Defense, and being keen for another new strategy game I gave this a try.

I think it's a Great Little Strategy Game and wish I had 2 other games on my wishlist to complete a punchcard because I'd be buying it right now.

I already have 3 hanging punches - don't want to add a 4th one without knowing where 5 and 6 are coming from. ETA decided to just buy it because, even if we get some form of BOGOFF weekend I'd still have 1 odd punch to get anyway & I am itching to replay campaign 2 and work out exactly what it needed to capture the base (I got past it somehow in the demo but was confused as to what exactly I did!).

Oh, and those who love strategy games but don't like having to click fast when a strategy game is also a TM (which this isn't) should try this one out - clicking speed is totally irrelevant as you can take your time during your turn and the only measurement for gold cup is in terms of number of turns taken to reach the objective (it's labelled as days but is really number of turns).

Edited on 07/27/2012 at 7:52:32 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

Re:Comments for 'Great Little War Game'

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jul 27, 12 11:06 PM
How the hell do you play it? I haven't got a clue, and there are NO instructions, NO tutorial, NO hints of any kind. In my opinion, this game is NOT FINISHED. They need to ADD some tutorials and THEN publish it. I mucked around with it, but never figured out how to shoot at the enemy.

I think it might be a good game once you figure it out, but not being a player of tower defense or strategy games, I'm totally lost. Waste of bandwidth to download it.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 28, 12 5:10 AM
Although I'm loving the game and found everything out by trying things, I have to agree that there are basic things that the player seems expected to just know, or figure out, how to do, whereas some games would show you by saying first do this, now do this..............

What explanation there is comes not from being shown, but in the form of things marked with yellow question marks which is how you find out that units on higher ground gain increased weapon range, grunts are the most basic unit, with a range of 1 -2 spaces, snipers are lethal and so on (then in level 2 that engineers don't fight but are needed to take over buildings and vehicles & that you can buy new units from your base etc.)

I don't recall it saying how to move your unit or how to attack. In case you are still wondering Phatkat (or for others) - when you click on one of your units you see green circles where it can move to and red circles with a % figure inside them on any enemy within range. Btw, that %ge is not their health level (that's the little bar that you can see at any time), the %ge is about their remaining ammo.

Same as clicking on a green circle then moves the selected unit, clicking on a red circled enemy makes your unit shoot at them.

Something I missed reading the first time through level one that is covered by one of the yellow question marks is that if you hold down the mouse after selecting a unit, you will see orange circles denoting its fire range. I was managing without that because I would move a unit, click to see which enemies were now within range and if not happy with the position, I'd use the undo button. I found that fire range more useful when about to take my turn and wanting to see the enemy fire ranges (that works on them too - but clicking on one doesn't show you how far they can move - you have to figure that out by looking at movement ranges of you own troop types).

Something I'd like to see explained is exactly what you are supposed to be able to do with a single unit in one turn. For grunts it certainly seems to be one move and one attack, for engineers - one move and 1 work on a structure or take something small over, but for snipers I'm not sure because I seem able to move, fire, then move again a smaller distance - maybe meant to be able to move in, fire, then drop back a little out of enemy range(?). I get round not being sure by always clicking again after firing to see if I get offered green circles.

Edited on 07/28/2012 at 7:02:01 AM PST

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Jul 28, 12 6:47 PM
Your posts are helpful, but not enough for me, duh. Unless they have an ingame tutorial that maybe goes through one simple campaign and illustrates how to do it all, I'm going to sit this one out. Too bad, because it looked interesting. (Sheesh, even most core RPGs have SOME sort of tutorial...)

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Jul 29, 12 2:00 PM
It is a pity they didn't do that kind of tutorial as you are unlikely to be alone in thinking that. It's good to have something that's not the same old, same old, but would be even better if it had a suitable tutorial to reach as many folk as possible.

Also, even though I have worked out how to play happily, there are still some things I'd love an explanation of.

I was hoping that maybe some other players would be able to pick up on the things that I said I didn't get and maybe post how they think those details work but the forum is so quiet .

Edited on 07/29/2012 at 2:00:39 PM PST

Go to: