bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 1, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jo's Dream: Organic Coffee

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 1, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

mary102696
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mary102696 on Aug 1, 12 1:11 AM
Very nice time management game with a relaxed and timed mode, plenty of upgrades, etc. Fills my widescreen laptop but it has artwork bars on the sides like Farm Frenzy Vikings. Still, a great game with great graphics, the music isn't bad and there's plenty to do. Personally, I'm doing the untimed and then I'll go back and do the timed mode. Hope all you fishies enjoy!!!

[Post New]by xander32839 on Aug 1, 12 3:32 AM
I liked this game and I'm off to buy (with a credit). However, this is the most challenging TM game I've encountered! Good graphics, decent music (with the ability to buy a jukebox and change the tunes), decent upgrades, trophies, etc.

BUT, this is not for beginners. There are quite a few negatives I encountered during the demo:
1. There is no option to replay a day or go back to replay prior days. If anyone else discovers a way to do this, please post it in the forum.
2. Customer orders do not remain on the screen. You have to click them again to view their order. If you try to click them while holding an item, it delivers it to them (even if it's wrong). They may or may not accept it and will get ticked off at your incompetence.
3. The BIGGEST problem - customer patience runs out extremely fast! Perfect days will be few and far between in this game! For the first time EVER, I didn't get perfect on level one! (Though the tutorial interfered with completing the level). On most of the days, I lost at least one customer.
4. You can hire help, but they get in the way more than they help you out. If you leave them alone to help a customer, it's very likely that they will not complete the order before the customer gets mad and leaves. You need to work with them. The help is also slow, but can be sped up with later upgrades.
5. There's quite a learning curve (for me, at least) with the coffee drinks they order. During the demo I served Espresso, Americano, Tea, milk, caramel, whipped cream, grated chocolate, cakes, ice cream (various flavors), cake, and croissants. I'm sure there will be a lot more later according to the menu.
6. You have to clean tables yourself - just a click on each seat and then the trash can (many can be cleaned at once). Food items must be restocked when you run out. Unfortunately, your helper will try to do this for you and he takes forever. Managing your employees is half the challenge.

Obviously, I played the timed mode. I'll try relaxed mode later under a different user.

I realize that my list of negatives is long, and normally I would quickly delete any game this difficult. Yet there's something fresh and challenging about it. I suppose I'm only buying it to prove to myself that "I can DO this!". It will NOT beat me! LOL.

Give the demo a trial and decide for yourself. Maybe relaxed mode will be more fun. Hopefully, with two modes of play, it will attract both the frantic fishies and the casual fishies.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 1, 12 4:45 AM
Hi xander before the day is up if you find your losing the day click on the pause button you will see a replay the day just click that and it will start the day over for you but once the level is over you can't do that also in the top right corner you'll see the day your on click on that day and it will take you to a calender and you may be able to go back to another day with that. Hope this helps.

Edited on 08/01/2012 at 4:53:55 AM PST

[Post New]by xander32839 on Aug 1, 12 5:06 AM
Thanks gmac1007. I already tried the calendar, but it doesn't let you replay days. I'm really not sure what purpose it serves.

I'll try the pause button. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that - must have been a blond moment. lol

One more thing to add to my prior post of issues: the areas to click are tight which makes it more difficult when you're hurrying to serve an angry customer.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 1, 12 6:26 AM
xander32839 wrote:Thanks gmac1007. I already tried the calendar, but it doesn't let you replay days. I'm really not sure what purpose it serves.

I'll try the pause button. I'm not sure why I didn't think of that - must have been a blond moment. lol

One more thing to add to my prior post of issues: the areas to click are tight which makes it more difficult when you're hurrying to serve an angry customer.
Your more than welcome and I also tried the calender and it didn't work but I'm also wondering since there are the little page arrows at the bottom once you complete a month if you can use the calender to go back to a previous day then. Yes the areas are very tight and the customers are not patient long I've already had several walk out on me lol When you start the day go ahead and make all of your drinks that way when they start coming in you'll have a jump start on that and once you notice your ice cream and croissant's are getting low go ahead and refill your stock you don't have to wait for all of them to be gone before you can order more.

Edited on 08/01/2012 at 6:28:30 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Aug 1, 12 7:00 AM
Thanks for the comprehensive review Xander32839!

I can't really add anything - I liked the graphics and I think the game has a lot of potential - it's well designed and looks like it could become very interesting.

However, I find that this game lacks a target market - the timed is too fast, as far as I could tell it would be a click frenzy rather than strategy. The customer's patience is shorter than the time it takes the machine to make a cup of coffee so if you don't have it already prepared you'll lose the customer.

The relaxed, is also timed, but is so slow that there is no challenge. So I was frustrated with the speed of the timed and simply bored with the relaxed. I needed a level in the middle that had a more reasonable time. However, if you are someone that enjoys untimed timed management games (I've never understood that!) - then I think you'll enjoy this game very much.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Aug 1, 12 11:23 AM
I have mixed feelings about this game. The basic concept is just like in any other TM restaurant/cafe game. Still, there are some different things, some (in my opinion) good, some bad.

First the good stuff:
1. I like part of the graphics: the cafe itself. It looks good and so do the drinks and snacks. The music is also nice, has a 50s drugstore atmosphere to it.
2. Some orders can just be picked up and served, but the drinks have to be made and recipes get more complex with every drink-related upgrade, so you have to put a few items together. This means you have to keep the recipes (or rather components) in mind. A nice challenge and one is more involved.
3. The player is not a figure running back and fro so you click and serve, which saves time (basically this means that before you have employees, guests stand in an empty cafe being served by an invisible host ).
4. In order to get a star, a list of tasks (buying upgrades, hiring people etc.) has to be fulfilled. Nice touch, adds a bit to the everyday stuff.
5. Pace quickens soon.

The "bad" stuff:
1. The background story is just like in every other TM and can't be skipped.
2. You don't see what customers want. You see it when you click on them but then you just see their mood. With several customers, that gets annoying.
3. You can also serve one item at a time. Why? That, for me, was the most annoying feature.
4. Tutorial was okay, but could be much better. Some information was lacking.
5. The people graphics are not done well. They move awkwardly, makes it look like a much older game.
6. Staff are not very helpful, they actually just bring more confusion most of the time. However, they have to be hired in order to get the stars.

So, I felt annoyed quite often. Still, I also enjoyed playing it. So I'll probably end up buying it, but I think the game could have been much, much better.

Csustar
Clownfish
Clownfish
565 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Aug 1, 12 12:01 PM
Love the graphics!!!, I concur with the other reviews, time is so tight on this game, and I am not into the relaxed part. I wish when you picked up a coffee that you could click again for it to start another cup right away.
I spent so much time reclicking on the customer so I would know what they want, my memory is not that good and I did not like that part.
It gets so complicated with all the different kinds of drinks that it is just too overwhelming for me, and I LOVE TM games! If they gave you a reasonable time, and did not have to reclick on the customer to see what they wanted, and you could get the machine to make another cup of coffee right away, I might be enticed to buy the game, so it is a no buy for me.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,263 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Aug 1, 12 1:12 PM
From playing the demo:

There is just something off about this game, and I think for me it's the fact that there's no little person running around taking the orders and delivering items until later levels, and even then they're not very helpful. I like that there are upgrades, and I like that there are things to be done in order to earn stars for your restaurant. I like the graphics (for the most part). The shop is seriously cute, although the customers have a strange 3-D look about them. Once you click on a customer to get their order, I wish the order would stay up. Even though it's only a few items, if you have four customers in the shop you have to keep clicking on them to see what they want. Plus you have to remember if they want milk with their drink, or some sort of syrup, plus what kind of drink, and to see all of that you have to keep on clicking for their order. Annoying. Timed mode is too hard, as the customers are seriously impatient, yet relaxed mode was way too easy for me.

The game didn't grab me enough to purchase. I got too bored and too irritated with constantly having to click to see people's orders.

ojennifer
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by ojennifer on Aug 1, 12 5:16 PM
I love TM games

Just not this one

why are developers making items so small, you need to put a magnifying glass on the screen of your computer to see it?

I like the idea of this game. I think it could have been done better.

why do developers think I work at Starbucks? I don't know what this coffee stuff is, I don't even drink coffee. Remembering all these complex recipes just puts me off this.

the helper is more in my way than helping. The customers get mad too fast. I hate the speech bubble that you have to constantly click on to see their order.

picking up one thing at a time. (rolling eyes)
pass
pass
pass!

SharonGia
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by SharonGia on Aug 1, 12 5:35 PM
I played the demo on timed mode. I liked the game for the most part.

I agree with the others that it gets annoying to constantly have to click on the customers over and over to see their order. Especially when it gets crowded you can't possibly remember what everyone wants.

The recipes get complex - reminds me of a game from a few years ago called Yummy Drink Factory where you had to keep looking up how to make certain drinks. This tends to get annoying but adds a bit of a challenge which I like.

The employee - they get in the way, but I notice as I upgraded them they got better so I am hoping eventually they will be helpful.

I also got an upgraded espresso machine that made 2 espressos at a time so I am thinking once I can upgrade other machines that will improve also.

A tip - at the beginning of the day make all the drinks, and as you grab one, get in the habit of automatically making another, that way you will usually have one waiting so the customers will wait less time. I noticed if you put a item on the counter, they didn't go bad that quickly so I am thinking maybe in later levels this will help to have 2 items waiting at a time.

I will most definitely use a credit on this game. Wish BFG would get more TM games, seems we wait forever for one, and then we have to *hope* it's a good game.

Sharon

Mccaphrey
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Mccaphrey on Aug 1, 12 10:20 PM
I don't like it. I don't like how you can't see what the customers want, just the smiley faces. And, I don't like the employees who don't stay on task!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 2, 12 3:02 AM
in this TM you can not replay the day, so we will not buy this one.------------------------------doug & lisa

Demenshia
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by Demenshia on Aug 2, 12 5:25 AM
Mccaphrey, to keep the employees on task, make sure you are paying them well. The higher the pay, the less they tend to do their own thing. Also as you upgrade them they start to work a bit smarter.

I do agree that the need to continually click to see the order gets frustrating, especially in later levels when you have 10-15 people in the cafe. My memory just isn't that good lol.

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 2, 12 8:43 AM
Review based on demo time only so far, but will be a definite buy.

How nice to see a traditional TM game (and unlike the Dash franchise games, no dragging required ). Apart from the Katy and Bob game (also a goodie IMO) there haven't been many of these in recent months.

If there is to be a sequel ( ), I'd have to agree that it would be better to be able to carry more than one thing at once but that hasn't put me off this game.

As for the customers, not constantly displaying their orders: I'm not sure, if they did, that I'd be able to spot quickly enough who was getting impatient amongst all that additional information constantly displayed. I always go by that instead of trying to remember who arrived first. I choose a customer and do their hot drink first which then gets me a reminder of the food part (it's possible that I may be reciting out loud: 'caramel expresso, croissant, strawberry ice cream' as I do it but I think I'm keeping it to myself LOL).

If I have a lot of people waiting I do hot drinks first to keep the machines going and then go round again doing the food. I prefer to be able to spot, at a glance, whose happiness bar is the lowest so I can serve them next. So I am happy with how it displays.

Thanks to several reviewers for various little tips such as being able to refill the food stands before they are completely empty, where to find the day's goal amount displayed and the warning to hit pause before end of day if want to replay (sometimes I have made the goal but could have made a bit more and want to replay). I read the reviews yesterday but couldn't demo until today (not currently GC member) so maybe would have noticed these things anyway but it was good to know them from the start - that helped me to make the most of the demo.

My tip is that if you serve a customer even a single item of a multi part order, their patience bar refills (ETA or if their symbol had turned the paler green already, which means patience had already dropped from full green level, then they turn full green again but with an empty bar) even if they are also waiting for something else, giving you a little longer to get the next item. That's another reason why, when lots are waiting, I serve several drinks first then revisit with food.

to be contd..............

Edited on 08/04/2012 at 10:12:14 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 2, 12 8:56 AM
......... contd

I like the way that I am not controlling a character, having to wait for them to amble around etc. - much prefer being able to do things instantly as in this game.

I did get as far as hiring a barista and he is (so far) not a great asset but, since I am a fast clicker and can, so far, manage all the customers fine by myself (in timed mode), I chose to pay him the bare minimum. That way he stands around a lot, which keeps him out of my way more of the time , and he takes less of my profit. I didn't want to fire him because I had spent money getting him and may find him useful later after upgrading

I also like the fact that earning ratings upgrades for the shop is related to upgrade strategy rather than doing extra things within the levels. There's nothing wrong with the former method (I'm enjoying it in the other recent traditional TM game), but it's nice to have variety.

Speaking of ratings: For those who don't want the barista but feel they need him to complete the tasks needed for ratings - perhaps you could hold off going for the ratings and concentrate on building up equipment etc. as you save money. Then by the time you get him, can maybe upgrade him very soon after (?).

That's what I'm going to try after buying - I'm going to start a new game and chose upgrades differently:

The game allowed me to disregard the tutorial instruction to upgrade the barista (I let it show me the button but then hit close instead of the button to upgrade) so maybe it will allow me to not buy him as early as it suggests too(?). I will try to get the 1 star rating a.s.a.p to be able to (SPOILER on what first star gives --> upgrade drinks machines, but will be in no hurry to get the next one, until I run out of useful upgrades or start to fail levels.

In summary, IMO it's a nice traditional TM game which has it's own original features. So I want to buy it very soon even though I have already bought another great traditional TM game recently. Both great games and both play very differently to each other.

I recommend this game

Edited on 08/02/2012 at 8:59:25 AM PST

Bonniesan
Squid
Squid
79 Posts

[Post New]by Bonniesan on Aug 2, 12 9:28 AM
I really, really wanted to like this game, but the further I got into the game the worse it became. When you get into the levels where you have a couple of baristas and a waitress it's just about impossible to do anything because they're in the way, blocking the equipment and you can't control what they're doing (like having one clear tables or wait on certain areas). It just seems very poorly planned. I never did figure out what to do with those order cards they placed on the counter. It seemed like even if you put the drink on the counter for them, they just quit serving the customer that ordered it and you have to figure out who it was. Just one big unorganized mess...not fun anymore.

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Aug 2, 12 7:22 PM
Don't have anything really new to say that hasn't already been said (more than once above).

The first thing that struck me was that the orders don't stay visible. And when they do come up, they don't stay for very long, many times I would have to click twice to double check what the drink was and what to put in it. As the game progressed and there were more customers, this got more annoying even tho I did get better about remembering some of the drink mixtures.

The barista got better once he was totally upgraded, but was still too slow.

The upgrades look like a good selection. Graphics are good. I turned off the sound so can't comment on music or any other environment sounds.

Interesting that there are no defined levels, but rather just the goals of getting the stars filled. Didn't bother me that I couldn't replay days, but that could be because I knew early on that although I would play out the demo, I would not be buying the game.

All in all, not a bad game, but just not my cup of tea.

Go to: