crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

Burning witches

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 3, 12 7:40 PM
The plot line about rescuing a woman from being burned as a witch in what is obviously 1800s western US is ridiculous. No one in the US, even before it was a country, was burned as a witch. They were always hanged, except for one man who was pressed to death (one of Salem's victims). It was Europe where witches were burned; maybe that's where this game was developed.

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

Re:Burning witches

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Aug 3, 12 8:30 PM
And it's my understanding that the last execution for witchcraft in the USA was in 1693, not that I expect it but accuracy is nice even in computer games

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Aug 3, 12 11:00 PM
Agreed. Historical accuracy may be lacking, but the main part of that story line is about a man who was a vampire in the "wild west" - historically accurate? I'm gonna go with "no". It's all fiction.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 6, 12 5:27 AM
I also thought the burning a witch in what is clearly mid-late-ish 19th c. wild west U.S. ridiculous and, yes, witch burning was almost entirely a European thing, which wasn't taking place by the time this chapter of the game is set anyway. I think the last known instances of burning anyone for anything (the Brits rather horrifyingly burned women for counterfeiting -- that was in the 18th century and there were a few known instances of some slaves being burned in the southern U.S. in the very early 19th century after slave revolts). It takes a few minutes to check something like this.

Go to: