KC3Storm
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

Expert - Episode 44 - HELP!!!

[Post New]by KC3Storm on Aug 4, 12 3:56 PM
Does anyone have any advice on how to beat this level? It's the episode the Night Seller guy doesn't show up and you have to fill one heck of an order. I've been on this thing for months and always have orders left.

Any help would be appreciated.

medouneu
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

Re:Expert - Episode 44 - HELP!!!

[Post New]by medouneu on Aug 21, 12 7:45 AM
This is a tough one - no question about it. When I got to it, I tried it several times. Forget about finishing it in Expert time... I couldn't finish it at ALL. I still had several piles to pick up every time the clock ran out, and knew there was no way I could do better. So I decided to go back several episodes to improve my position going into this episode. There were several recent episodes which I hadn't finished in Expert time, so I went back to the first one where that was the case, did them in Expert time, and then continued back to #44, episode by episode (you can effectively "rewrite history" this way).

I'm going to assume that you've got the basic strategy to have made it this far, so I won't discuss things like making sure everything is placed logically (i.e., your chocolate machine is next to your Cocoa fields, not the other side of the farm). One special trick I’ve learned, though, is the importance of the Move button… not just for moving things, but as a Pause button that doesn’t cover up your screen. You have to be CONSTANTLY moving the entire time – you can’t stop and think, and you can’t make mistakes. So whenever I need to plan my next moves or want to see which fields need replanting, I just hit the Move button and can take as much time to plan as I need.

For episode #44, you should have all of the following set up BEFORE the episode begins (or as close to it as possible):

* A full Rating bar
* Every single upgrade
* Everything COMPLETELY planted and watered (plants and animals
* At LEAST two of EVERY building (barns, wells, crates, animal houses, etc.)
* 4 eggs waiting at each Goose House, plus 4 geese in each one
* 4 bales of wool waiting at each Shearing Shed, plus 1 sheep for the final bale of wool needed
* 6 or more cows, ready to be milked
* 4 dogs placed such that you can COMPLETELY ignore bandits at night
* Repairs made to Chocolate, Donut, and Salad machines
* 1 Chocolate Machine, with 4 chocolate already made, plus loaded with 4 gallons of milk and 4 cocoa
* 1 Donut Machine, with 4 donuts already made, plus loaded with 4 pieces of chocolate, 4 wheat, and 4 eggs
* 1 Salad Machine, with 4 salad already made, plus loaded with 4 eggplants, 4 cabbage, and 4 peppers
* 12 plantings of red peppers and cocoa; 8 of all others (although I have 12 of strawberries and corn for other episodes)

[continues in next message]

medouneu
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by medouneu on Aug 21, 12 7:47 AM
That final $100,000 upgrade that increases the speed and durability of your machines is essential for #44. I couldn’t afford it until this episode, since I normally spend so much on the Night Trader to ensure I can finish in Expert time and have a little extra time for replanting and filling machines. If you can’t afford it by this point, remember that you can sell buildings and animals back for the same price at which you bought them. Heck, in earlier episodes, I’d sell my second barn at night just so I could afford an extra guard dog, then sell the poor dog back to the Humane Society in the morning to reclaim my barn. So if you’re strapped for cash this episode, you could start by grabbing all the wool at your Shearing Sheds, shearing one sheep for the 9th bale, and then selling both Shearing Sheds ($4,000 apiece) and all your sheep ($5,000 apiece). You’ll have plenty of cash to buy them all back once you finish this episode.

During the episode, it’s essential you use Jim (the first guy) the ENTIRE time to water and gather vegetables, while you get all the donuts, salad, eggs, and wool, do all the replanting, and then switch to vegetables. The very first thing you do when you start should be to summon Jim, and as SOON as he leaves, you should summon him back. That’s why it’s important to have a full Rating bar before you start, AND make a point to add to it as much as possible throughout the episode. That’s a lot harder to do in this episode, where you have to spend a lot of time on machines, than in episodes where you only have to gather vegetables.

Take every reasonable opportunity to add to your Rating. It’s so important to keep Jim out there every second of the episode that I will make sure you understand how Rating works. If you do an action once, your Rating does not increase, but it does increase each time you repeat that same action without doing some other type of action in between. This includes:
* Milking cows
* Shearing sheep
* Repairing machines
* Placing a dirt patch
* Harvesting the SAME plant repeatedly
* Replanting ANY plant
* Watering plants and animals (although I ALWAYS leave this for Jim; he never lets the geese squawk for very long)

medouneu
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by medouneu on Aug 21, 12 7:48 AM
For instance, instead of replanting one thing at a time, wait until there are 2-4 missing dirt patches and 3-5 other things requiring replanting throughout your fields. Do ALL of the dirt patches first, so that your Rating increases for each dirt patch after the first one, then replant everything (including grass) so your Rating increases with each planting after the first (even if you’re replanting different types of crops). Also, when you harvest crops, don’t harvest 4 of one and then 4 of another, because as soon as you start harvesting a different crop type, your rating doesn’t increase for the first plant harvested. For instance, harvesting 4 pumpkins, then 4 watermelons, then 4 grain would add to your Rating 3 times for the pumpkins, 3 times for the watermelon, and 3 times for the grain, for a total of 9. Harvesting 12 corn, by contrast, would add to your rating 11 times. Small difference, but it adds up.

You’ve got to get 16 salads out of your salad machine with no help from the Night Trader, and you can save some time here if you do it efficiently. As stated above, you should already have 4 salads made AND the machine fully loaded before the episode even begins. Now do the following:

1. Grab the 4 salads and deliver them to a barn.
2. Since the machine is fully loaded, do other things while it produces 2 more salads; this will consume the red peppers but leave 2 eggplants and 2 cabbage.
3. A bit later, toss in 4 red peppers and do other things again while it makes 2 more salads.
4. A bit later, grab all 4 salads and deliver them to the barn. 8 salads down; 8 more to go.
5. Load up as follows:
4 eggplants (+3 Rating)
4 cabbage (+3 Rating)
4 red peppers (+3 Rating)
After that, 4 of anything won’t fit, so continue with:
1 eggplant + 1 cabbage + 2 red peppers (+1 Rating)
Slight pause here, so do a quick task like repair machines
6. Repeat Steps 1-4. You’re done.

medouneu
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by medouneu on Aug 21, 12 8:41 AM
I hope all this helps. As I said, I couldn’t possibly complete #44 the first time I came to it. But when I went back far enough to be able to come back with most of what I listed above (my Rating bar wasn’t quite full, so there were a few seconds near the end where I lost access to Jim, and one of my machines was totally empty at the start), not only did I finish this in Expert time the first time I tried, I had 30 seconds to spare for repairs and such. Happy Farming!

Go to: