bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for The Theatre of Shadows: As You Wish

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 8, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Theatre of Shadows: As You Wish ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Theatre of Shadows: As You Wish page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Theatre of Shadows: As You Wish

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 8, 12 12:38 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 8, 12 12:39 AM
A game from one of my favorite devs, Vogat. I believe this was intended to become a CE. It is unusual we get this caliber of a game as an original release as an SE. It might be that there is no voiceover or that they didn't create a Bonus section. Nevertheless, this is a cut above the normal SE's we have. I used a coupon on this game immediately. There are 3 levels of gameplay, which again is unusual for an SE. The graphics are okay. I have seen better but they are not bad. There are no voiceovers, which is strange for a game of this caliber. Enjoying this game immensely. I imagine this is a gift from BF for the lemons we have experienced lately.

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Aug 8, 12 1:00 AM
I agree, as soon as I saw Vogat, I knew it would be a keeper. No voice overs, and doesn't have wide screen option, but so far it is an interesting story, and a bit challenging, I am playing on easy, and there were spots that I missed, so don't think just because there might be sparkles sometimes, that you will always see them. I played about 20 minutes and knew it was for me. I have just now reached the first hos, which does have some interaction, so was a good spot to stop to buy. I think the graphics are pretty good, and the music and sound effects fit so far.
Map will take you to locations, there is a notebook, and hints will at least tell you if there if nothing to do.

I don't think this was meant to be a CE, but perhaps it was tooled up for a Deluxe, as it does say there is a strategy guide. I had already pulled the walk through up while the demo was downloading, so didn't check it to see if it is actually usable.

I don't think it is a gift, as I had to pay for it, but I am glad to see a decent regular game, so I will say thanks to whoever pulled this one out of the hat.

Edited to add, the game now fills my entire screen. I didn't change anything and it went from square box to full screen while I was here posting...weirdest thing

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 3:23:17 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,823 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Aug 8, 12 1:32 AM
Very interesting game. I like it, even with out voiceovers. The items are very hard to find, because everything is somewhat dark,small and kinda the same colors. But good quality with the graphics and animations.

You have to search in every nook and cranny and alot of back and forthing. But overall a good game and worth buying. I have a punch card so it's a definite buy. For sure give this a try, it's worth your time to check out. Good job developers(add voiceovers please) & (widescreen). Thanks Enjoy!

No: Voiceovers
No: Widescreen
Yes: Fullscreen fits my widescreen o.k.
Yes: Traveling Map
Yes: Custom Cursor
Yes: Hog Scenes
Yes: Task Manager
Modes: Casual/Challenge/Extreme
Sound: Music/Sound
Theme: Dark Mystery

I rateh this game: “PIGLET”
Good game. I like it! Hog,Frog,Ihog,Adventure . For true lover's of these types of games.
‘ ‘
(o)

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Aug 8, 12 1:34 AM
Good morning all

When you said Vogat it was instantly sold. I too love this team as they do put out high quality games. And like you am surprised no C.E. because they put awesome ones out as well. And finally get to use that PCC that's been collecting dust in my inbox.

Graphics: Superb

Game Play: Items you find in the H0G's help you to progress in the game and the items you find laying around.

Music: Fits the game beautifully.

There is 3 modes of game play and a jump map. Which I love. (Note to Shadow: There being a Hard mode will you brave it again lol)

Story so far is awesome. But this is Vogat and they put out nothing but the best anyways. This team rocks! Happy gaming! and good luck

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 8, 12 2:03 AM
A very nice game here from Vogat, whose games are always of excellent quality, as sassylassie has pointed out.

The story is offbeat, yet original and interesting----so much so that there could easily be sequels involving the main character in other situations.

There are no voiceovers, but they're really not necessary at all in a game of this quality.

Unlike the hand holding you see in some of the higher priced CEs (see last weeks CE, for example) you have to get your thinking cap on for this one----and I like that a lot.

The graphics and animations are good (as Lisa and sassy have said), and I like the music.

Games of this quality are rare at SE pricing, but Vogat never disappoints, and it's a buy for me!!

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 8, 12 5:16 AM
At last a game worth using the PCC that's been gathering dust in my e-mail BFG folder! Really surprised to have an SE where the playing area completely covers my w/s monitor; well done Vogat, just shows it can be done

I did struggle here and there to understand what on earth I was supposed to do, particularly in one of the puzzles. The 'help' was pretty useless but I did manage to figure it out by trial and error. I will probably need a w/t for this game!

Nice graphics, no voiceovers but that doesn't bother me and it covers my w/s monitor; I'm off to spend my PCC on this little gem

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 8, 12 6:33 AM

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 7:41:10 AM PST

[Post New]by gamegal2010 on Aug 8, 12 7:11 AM
What a fabulous game !!! Finally, a great standard game has come our way !!! This one makes you think for yourself and I have a credit that I will be using right now !! Thank you BF and Vogat. I was getting bored with the standard HOG's and needed a challenge and this game definitely delivers. Love the tasks option and the Map allowing to move from scene to scene easily. Enjoy fellow fishies !!!

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 8, 12 7:29 AM

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 7:41:33 AM PST

[Post New]by gentlegranny on Aug 8, 12 8:37 AM
This is a great game and I was surprised when my time was up!

The graphics are beautiful, clear and crisp. The music fits the story, as far as I can tell. (I usually play with sound off and only turned it on (for a short while) to get a sense of the ambiance) There are no voiceovers but I can live with that.

This game has three modes of play so, while challenging, there is a level for everyone. Even at the casual level one needs to think so it isn't a no-brainer.

I like the map that allows you to jump from place to place,

The storyline is intriguing.

Definitely a game worth trying out! It is an absolute buy for me!
Enjoy Fishies!

Grins, Gentlegranny

[Post New]by gentlegranny on Aug 8, 12 8:44 AM
I forgot to add that I would definitely give this game a Five Bon Bon rating!

Grins, Gentlegranny

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,391 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Aug 8, 12 9:09 AM
Nifty game! Mind there are few things creeeepier than creepy puppets! I'll take an abandoned asylum any day!

Plays well, lots of different types of things to do so far and does make you think! Great graphics as well & a good storyline to boot. All in all seems a nice lift to get you over the mid week hump

Happy Gaming!

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Aug 8, 12 9:28 AM
And this is always why you need to demo a game for yourself. When I downloaded the demo, there was only one bad review on the main game page and no reviews here. I though, "oh no, another stinker". It couldn't be further from the truth. I rarely purchase nowadays unless there is a sale now because I have SO many other games, but this one will be the exception. Simply a fabulous game and a bargain at the SE price.

The graphics were beautiful and fitting for the storyline. While I am not a fan of games with demons, the storyline and gameplay was so smooth and enjoyable, I did not mind having yet another evil to overcome. Also, the evil comes in the form of shadows so there aren't and demonic images that I saw. The music was pleasant as well. There are different gameplay modes available for those with varying skill levels. I chose the middle level. There is an interactive map to allow movement from scene to scene without all the "walking". The hint system is relatively quick, but you do need to stop and think about your actions a little which makes the game that much better.

I am usually a quick player, but looking at the map, I still had not compeleted the five areas I had uncovered and it looked like there was a lot still under the clouds so this appears to be a long game. For those who are tired of the same old HOG, you will be very surprised with this one. Thanks BF for the awesome game!

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 9:32:34 AM PST

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 8, 12 9:30 AM
I dont usually purchase a game without playing the demo, but with slow internet, I save time by just buying Vovat, ERS, and elepant games

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 8, 12 10:45 AM
REVIEW FOR COMPLETED GAME
This game definitely started life as a CE, no question. No dev would invest so much into a game like this if it were just a SE. That's how the SG has come about. I can only imagine that the SG which was cut from it wasn't originally going to be offered and that is why BFG created the WT, and then the devs changed their minds. It will never sell. It seems to me that the main game of the CE would have had a different ending, so that the final chapter would have been the BC. It's a monumental task they undertook to create such a long (7 hrs) game with so much incorporated into it, as to be astonishing by any standards, and then only put it out as a SE. It may have something to do with the mechanics which are of poor quality. The game is sticky, freezes a lot and the navigation should be a lot faster, though this reason doesn't satisy me.

The graphics are simply outstanding, up there with the very best. It's a fairy tale so I didn't expect anything different story-wise, but I'm not much concerned with stories. The HOGs were excellent and very few and far between. The puzzles were really great, with a lot of arty ones that I really enjoyed. Hint/skip are good and the chapters close off in that you don't have to backtrack constantly, except after each chapter you return to the central part of the game to complete the one next step before moving on.

It's a shame that a bit of a butcher's job has been done on it and why they didn't just fix the mechanics and leave it as a CE, I do not know. Perhaps a reason best known to themselves.

Could have been a contender, but falls short of the mark. 8/10.

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 4:31:40 AM PST

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Aug 8, 12 11:13 AM
Anytime Vogat puts out a game they are always excellent in storyline, graphics and the way the games are formated.Because of yesterdays problems this is the first one from them I felt I needed to demo before buying. But as usual their standards are still perfect and this is interesting game to play.

OzzyRobyn
Minnow
Minnow
254 Posts

[Post New]by OzzyRobyn on Aug 8, 12 11:41 AM

I haven't started playing yet but I just started it and set up my options and I LOVE that it plays wide-screen in windowed mode. Perfect for large monitors.

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Aug 8, 12 1:15 PM
I tried it and I love it!! Beautiful graphics, nice game play, music I can tolerate and a map to jump from place to place. I have so many PCC and there are so few SE to use them on, so of course it is a buy for me. Thank you Big Fish and Vogat for the great Wednesday treat!!

Go to: