bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Farm Girl at the Nile

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 8, 12 12:45 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Farm Girl at the Nile ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Farm Girl at the Nile page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Farm Girl at the Nile

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 8, 12 12:45 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 8, 12 3:53 AM
YAY! Another TM/Strategy game! It takes a little getting used to (the feel of it isn't as instantly appealing as that other recent farming game which, to be fair to this one, was an extra special one) but, once I got used to the gameplay mechanics, I felt it is something that I do want to play & I expect to be buying it next time I am buying anything (but, as I already have 3 recent games on the go, I am now not buying anything until I see how the rest of the PCard would be filled).

The main selling point for me being that I wasn't getting golds BUT that was nothing to do with how fast I clicked things.

It was partly due to needing to use strategy and be more efficient, but also having to get used to the game mechanics - different to what I am used to so I was letting crops die at first due to something that the tutorial DOES explain but I had missed.

I also had to get used again to something I was always used to in many games - waiting for things to be carried to market and money brought back (by a camel in this case) but had become 'unused' to while playing another recent game where the sales are instant. So I need to get used again to thinking in advance..... do I need to sell something for money or send away for something.

So far 45 mins in (I saved a bit in case I want to go back and check something) (and I didn't get all that far - 4 tutorial levels and then up to proper level 7), so far, it is not a frenzied game: Crops and products do disappear relatively quickly but it still didn't feel as though I was having to madly click all over the place - just had to remember to harvest on time and pick things up promptly from machines (which do have an indicator to show when they will finish).

There was a sandstorm - comes up as a whirlwind symbol over the field - that I had to click on a few times to get rid of it but I was able to click a couple times, go harvest something and then come back to the sandstorm. When you reach that level I suggest playing it out because I got a few at the start and thought 'uh oh' but then got to do the rest of the level in peace.

You can carry on playing after you have missed all the cups..

contd.....

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 5:24:26 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 8, 12 3:57 AM
.... contd

Gameplay:
You are farming by the Nile. No character to control, just click to make things happen.

Types of seed available for planting are shown at the top of the screen. Click on one and that is what you will be planting until you click on a different one.

Immediately after clicking on a plot to plant your seed, you will get a watering can symbol: Click once to water your field. If you don't get the watering can symbol right after planting, that means your can is empty - click quickly on your well to fill the can again or your crop will die.

I found it best to keep an eye on the well as I was planting and watering. If the watering can disappeared from next to the well, then I would click on the well and wait for it to fill before planting anything else. Note: If you click on the well it will tell you how many loads of water you have left. I thought I had seen that popup but couldn't get it to do it again. Turns out that (presumably in an attempt to avoid annoying frequent popups?), if you click twice on it without clicking somewhere else in-between, you only get the popup the first time.

You get a green ! mark when the field is ready to harvest: Click to do so. (On the back field, the exclamation mark doesn't show up too well against the background but I could tell when it was ready to harvest by the crop's appearance). After harvesting, the crop will be on the ground ready for collecting.

A red ! can have different meanings but always means the field needs attention. It happened to me most often when running out of time to harvest, so I always clicked on a field as soon as that red ! appeared, since it clearly wanted something. That approach worked fine unless the problem was needing water and the well still being empty (as was happening before I figured out a smooth watering strategy). If the crop is left dry for too long then it will wither. In that case the red ! is still there, but clicking gets a shovel to dig out the dead crop instead of the harvesting tool.

Then you start making products and, later, taking care of animals:

to be contd.............

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 3:58:27 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 8, 12 4:00 AM
.... contd

The first machine is to make paper from the papyrus crop. (Tip: I found that I had to click on the lower part of the front wall to get it to work, still a plenty big enough target area to click on because the machines are large. I did not have time to go back to the tutorial to see if it had told me this. I had no trouble with the second machine).

The 2nd machine makes books from the paper and from feathers (which you buy in - at first ).

That's as far as I got due to redoing tutorials for things I hadn't read properly and replaying one level to get gold before deciding I'd better push on and temporarily stop caring about golds.

But I had also read the help section from the main screen and it mentions ostriches and dromedaries and what they like to eat.

It has a couple of oddities such as seeds not being marked with a price (but each time you plant one of any of the 3 kinds which I saw, you see '-10' coming up from your bank so they must all cost the same). Similarly, the well seems to cost 20 coins to refill.

It also (as far as I could see) doesn't tell you in advance what the target times are for each cup but I am not too worried about that because I will just do it as fast as I can the first time. When you start a level there is a gold cup next to the timer (counting up from zero) and it changes to silver when you have missed gold, then changes to bronze then finally disappears.

My advice - demo it for yourself, but make sure to read the tutorials properly (it does give you the choice of skipping the 4 tutorial levels but I don't recommend doing that). These devs have obviously taken on board comments on other games about tutorials being insufficient & have it well covered. This does make the instructions sometimes more wordy than usual and I accidentally skipped without meaning to: I read click to water when you see the watering can symbol and automatically clicked to move on, thinking yes OK I get it, and missed the next bit about the well, then didn't understand why I wasn't getting the watering can symbol any more and my plants were dying.

As I said, I didn't get that far during the demo so I can't say how it progresses (new products/animals, how fast it does/n't get or how easy it was/n't to get golds once I had got used to the gameplay because I didn't replay to try to get them yet). Until I buy, I'll have to leave those things to others to describe.

ETA bolding on the paper machine tip.

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 5:01:50 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 8, 12 5:47 AM
ADDITIONAL gameplay info (not having needed to check any facts while writing the review, I used that saved 15 mins of demo to finish level 7 and start level 8).

Got an ostrich farm. It's not like Farm frenzy where you buy individual animals - I built an ostrich farm and got an ostrich. Had to feed him by SPOILER (not really, ETA because tutorial covers it, but in case anyone would rather read/work that out for themself) growing sugar cane, harvesting it, then clicking on his feed pile to transfer the sugar cane from the warehouse to the food pile END SPOILER.

I forgot to keep enough food crop back and lost the ostrich. I clicked on the ostrich farm and got a message that said I would get another one in -- secs. It was saying 25 secs by then so I don't know if it had started at 30 sec countdown or longer.

That's a new feature which I haven't seen in any other game .

The new ostrich arrived with a new starter amount of food.

Also in that level I got crocodiles - click on them a few times to cage them and sell them at the market. That may sound like the bears in Farm Frenzy but it wasn't as ...well..... 'frenzied' as that.

--------------
ETA also I forgot to mention that there is a shop for unlocking upgrades/new buildings between levels. I forget how they are funded and demo all gone now.

(I hope no-one is offended by the extra long review , it's just that this time there were little odd potential cons to mention as well as the pros. & then I thought the ostrich thing worth a mention too as the way it works is different to the norm. There was over an hour and a half between the rest and this last part - it just so happens that no-one else has posted in between).

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 5:54:01 AM PST

SharonGia
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by SharonGia on Aug 8, 12 6:23 AM

Edited on 08/08/2012 at 7:51:03 AM PST

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Aug 8, 12 6:51 AM
Thanks for the review Daisy_May. It's very well written and thorough and it certainly enticed me to download the demo.

I think this game is a lot like the Farm Frenzy games but with the difference that you grow crops in the centre instead of feeding animals. I also feel that there is a lot of strategy involved for example by not planting more than you can manage and planting the right things at the right time.

I did not get gold on most levels and I was playing on easy so I think there would be a lot of reason to replay the game and levels to improve. It kept me busy the whole time - maybe in one or two of the first levels I was just watching the machines finish but certainly thereafter there was enough going on to never be bored.

I liked the graphics and the Egypt setting and the little details like the ribbon on the tail.

My only negative - I didn't like the ostrich's screech - however, I can turn it lower / off so it's not a make or break.

I'm posting this for developers / big fish games if any of them read this:

I realise Big fish has a rule that music must play when you first start up the game, however, I always turn it off because I have my own music playing. When you have to answer a bunch of questions / instructions before you can turn it off I have 2 sets of music competing with each other - it's not fun. Please allow us access to settings as step one to select that option or change your rule!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 8, 12 12:09 PM

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 4:41:00 AM PST

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Aug 8, 12 10:48 PM
I was not as enamored by this game as Daisy was.
It was cute, but a little frustrating.

First, trying to turn off the sound took forever because you had to click on an arrow for each notch (100 for sound, 50 for music) - very painfully slow to get the sound muted.

The tutorial was a bit slow, trying to get the tutor to shut up so I could play. Was good information, but more than needed. After that it was ok. I found that clicking on the machine to make paper was hit or miss. Sometimes I would have to click multiple times in various places before one would take. Didn't seem to have the same trouble with the book maker or the ostrich farm.

The plot for planting that is at the top has background that makes it almost impossible to see the indicator that the plants are ready for harvest. As Daisy mentioned, you need to just recognize from the look of the plants.

Had trouble trying to buy the ostrich farm but finally got it. Then killed an ostrich before I figured out how to keep the thing alive and get feathers.

I normally like the farming games, but I just couldn't get excited enough about this one to even finish the demo.

[Post New]by EPF4CATSBK on Aug 11, 12 6:50 AM
I found the game to be pleasant until you get to level 31 and above

it is frustrating to purchase upgrades for buildings on shop menu then not be allowed to use them

Also you never know what your upgrading to until after its done, for instance I was expecting to upgrade the paper and it turned into the corn mill instead

those upgrade triangles are useless in my opinion because you cant tell what they are to be upgraded to.

I believe the developers on this game used math to configure the game without really playing it to see if the gold and silver times were even possible.

Janette5
Clownfish
Clownfish
518 Posts

[Post New]by Janette5 on Aug 11, 12 11:48 AM
On having played this game for a few days I no longer recommend it - simply because the upper levels are frustrating - as the previous poster said the gold and silver doesn't seem to be set accurately but I also found that I never had enough money to buy the upgrades in the machine despite getting gold on all levels except two and this meant I had to replay levels multiple times to make money - this really is horrible having to replay and replay levels 5x between moving up in order to have enough money for the purchase before I can advance in the game. At this time I haven't finished it because I just got sick of replaying levels just to make 100 or 200 a level when I need 1 400 to buy the machine.

I also found on the easy there seems to be a bug on some levels where they expect you to have more books on hand than your store can hold - even on the maximum upgraded store. This bug doesn't seem to be in the normal game mode.

So I think there are some settings and prices and medal timess that the developers should address to make this game playable and enjoyable.

juliesherris
Squid
Squid
61 Posts

[Post New]by juliesherris on Aug 12, 12 3:04 AM
OK, a few comments that have been missed off from the reviews...

Once you create your profile, you choose the 'Easy' or 'Normal' mode... but you can't change that once you've created it :-/

Now... I created a new profile in the Normal Mode to check through a few things - no, the 'Easy' mode is not at all easy once you get to the 30-ish levels, and a couple of levels are just downright impossible.

But one thing I did miss when I started out was the advice that in the Shop, you can right click to sell back the upgrade - I am about to check to see if that will stop the constant replaying of previous levels to scrabble around trying to build up enough points to buy other upgraded machines......

No doubt I shall be back....

To be quite honest, I am playing now to see where the faults are lying, not for the enjoyment of the game. The developers website has no information or complaints about this game so I'm a touch confused as to why after the game has been out for 7 or so months, we're the only ones complaining??

Once I've established in my own head where the faults are that are stopping us from playing this game properly, I will probably make a complaint to BFG & maybe even ask for my money back - I don't think it's fair that the Devs are getting paid for putting out shoddy un-researched games :-/

DeAnna2112
Clownfish
Clownfish
675 Posts

[Post New]by DeAnna2112 on Aug 12, 12 4:46 AM
Reminded me of a game one would see at the beginning age of online gaming. This is just old school gaming style and quality. Not a well planned out game and poorly thrown together.
Just seriously lacking creativity, repetitive, boring..... and the choice of music

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 13, 12 4:57 PM
I usually loved Time Management, Strategy games, like My Princess, Royal Envoy, Rescue Team etc.

This is so bad, I dont even know why I completed the demo
1) BAD graphics, u had to have very good eye sight to see some of the items, they blend into the surroundings very well, esp paper
2) Weird mud dirty environment, I guess its Egypt, and its surrounding desert, so frequent blanketing of "sand" onto the screen is part of the developers's design?!

Ratings: 2/5

* Dont bother to use your free stamps to buy!

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Reviews for Farm Girl at the Nile

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 12, 12 12:19 PM
The tutorial was very good in one respect. I repeatedly replayed T2 and couldn't keep from getting withered corn. I now know that I don't have the skill to enjoy this game. This is a Good Thing.

[Post New]by ladycrash1022 on May 2, 14 4:35 PM
I have almost finished the game on easy even though 'easy' is what I would call it. I have enjoyed playing it even if some things have highly annoyed me. I am in agreement that the times are off. No matter what you do, some levels are impossible to complete in gold time or even bronze time for that matter. The storehouse isn't big enough to hold 40 books required for 20 encyclopedias let alone a binder so you can at least make one while waiting for the camel to return. Only thing upgrading camel does is allow it to carry more items, it doesn't increase it's speed on returning..at least not that I have noticed. Having to go back and replay several levels to make 1200 to 1400 for a machine only to find out I need another 1200+ for another machine. We have no way of knowing how much money completing a level will give us for shop so it is play over and over until you get whatever it is that you need. We don't know how long we have for gold without watching when it turns and sometimes can be so busy clicking products that you miss it to know how much you missed gold by. We buy the required upgrade for lvl 2 or even lvl 3 but are not given the option to use them so why were they required in the first place? I highly recommend that developers play their own game and see if they can beat the times they have set. Didn't seem like processing times were taken into consideration. Like the level for 20 or 30 honey cakes. You have to make all 20 or 30 cakes and then convert building into confectionary to start making honey cakes. Even being able to make 3 at a time, I still didn't get gold. Maybe I am just too slow of a clicker, but usually with games similar to this, I eventually figure out the right strategy to make gold. To be fair to game, I will play again in normal mode and see how that is.

Edited on 05/02/2014 at 4:35:58 PM PST

[Post New]by ladycrash1022 on May 2, 14 4:36 PM
wow. with all the reviews of things that needed to be corrected and this game been out for 2 years and they are still there? Are you kidding me?

Go to: