bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 9, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Grim Tales: The Wishes ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Grim Tales: The Wishes page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Grim Tales: The Wishes

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 9, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 9, 12 12:39 AM
There are obvious differences between the CE and SE versions but in case it is helpful in assesing the gameplay as a whole, I am linking to the CE reviews here.

Happy gaming everyone!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 12:39:26 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 9, 12 12:43 AM
Morning, all...

This review is based on the CE version, which I played in Casual mode:

There are 5 chapters.

There is a choice for custom and system cursor.

There is widescreen.

There is voice-over.

There are 3 gameplay modes: Casual, Advanced, Hardcore.

There is no journal, but there is a MAP at the right, which is in form of a COMPASS (you will get it a little into the game).
The map shows you where you are, where you need to do things, and when you hover over each area, you will get an image of the place and a detailed list of tasks.
The map can also be used to jump to different areas.

A little later on, you will get a PUPPET. It will be right in front of the MAP. Sometimes the puppet will help you, but mostly it will tell you the story as it unfolds.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have clear and clean graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button (which is in the shape of a flower and unfolds when it refills), and which works also outside of the HOS, is at the left and only takes about 35 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button also takes only about 35 seconds to fill in Casual mode. Thank you, developers!!

The graphics are superb, within the HOS and in the main scenes.

The main game story has a proper ending.

--- --- ---

What I liked was that I didn't get one HOS after another. They were nicely spread out, which I prefer.

I also didn't see an overwhelming amount of puzzles, and I was able to do most of them without having to resort to the SKIP button - which means they were on the easy side.

Very much enjoyed playing this game.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 9, 12 7:00 AM
*I finished the CE version but IMO this SE version is the better choice. The plot is 100% tied up in main game (this version) and there were no collectables etc so you aren’t missing out on anything *

This is the third game in the grim tales series, made by elephant games, and I think is the best. Like most games from elephant it’s long (the main game/SE version took me nearer to 7hrs!). It is longer than the recent elephant games (surface, royal detective) but as it’s a chapter less than the last grim tales ( the legacy) it’s shorter than the legacy.

I also think it’s easier as here they gave you the tips in the transporter map in hardcore, which I played. The transporter map becomes available a short while into the game. This has a dark story line, so for those of you who don’t like demon, child in peril storyline you may want to give this a miss or at least try demo. But because of the mostly daytime graphics (thank you!) it doesn’t feel like a dark game. I love elephant graphics, as they are vibrant, sharp* and colourful.

There are three different play settings which all can be changed mid game so no need to panic if you choose hardcore.

The plot takes place a few years after our last encounter with Brendan, here you find him growing older and you soon find out why. In your journey you will find a magic quill which you can then go into his memory and change the past (or you relive what you did in the first place, I wasn’t that clear with that side of the plot.) But I enjoyed the plot way better than the last grim tales.

to be continued

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 7:03:10 AM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 9, 12 7:02 AM
continued

HINTS

The hint button is the usual mini SG which is great for you as you won’t miss the SG. As well as the hint button there are icons and tips within the transporter map letting you know if there were places that things could be done in.
Hardcore players note that there are black bar tips for you and you can’t bring up the hints in the map like you do in the puzzles.

Hidden object scenes –

*I did think some HOS weren't as well done as others in the game, and weren't as sharp.

21 HOS, quite a few were junk pile, all list type but interactive. They were well spaced out and I didn’t feel like I was playing one every 5 mins. There was the odd tiny item and some scenes had a lamp/light shining on parts which I know some don't like. Elephant never has random click penalty or repeats their HOS.

Puzzles

At the beginning there weren’t that many and they were easy but overall there was a good mixture of hardness, mostly medium hardness. There seemed to be more puzzles in the middle to the end. They tried to bring us a couple of new ones for a HOPA and I loved the flowers, and a lot of them, but the execution on a couple were bad. Any fun I had in playing foosball was taken away by how to play it, and the planets one I know they were trying to put a spin on it as we’ve seen it before but putting those items on the puzzle was annoying.

You click on the info button to bring up the objective of the puzzle was good and if you didn’t play hardcore you can skip them.

The interactive, adventure side was really good and I thought was well done although there were the usual completely illogical interactions for HOPAs - boats and ice axe!

I can get bored quickly in HOPAs (hidden object puzzle adventures) but not in this game, I was engaged the whole time.

Length main game – 6-7hrs - nearer 7hrs on hardcore
(obviously no skipping puzzle or hint button,)

On my personal rating I’d give this game 4.5, half a point taken away because of plot. Although it was very well done, it wasn’t unique. I did love this game.

Edited on 08/09/2012 at 10:47:15 AM PST

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 9, 12 8:20 AM
this was a very good game with a great story plot. we recommend this game to all HOS lovers. -------doug & lisa

jonah11
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by jonah11 on Aug 9, 12 8:45 AM
After reading reviews and playing demo. will most likely buy. Did enjoy the other games.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Aug 9, 12 4:51 PM
Very nice game, at least according to the demo, good graphics, very few hos and puzzles, not so diffcult, nice story to solve and worth the efforts! I like it!

arthurC
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
424 Posts

[Post New]by arthurC on Aug 10, 12 10:03 PM
This game was great fun .. even though I hadn't a clue what was going on most of the time.

Convoluted plot, lots of to-ing and fro-ing for reasons known only to the devs, wooden characters .. ( genius's one moment, thick as two short planks the next), and contradictory actions (how come I can rummage in a pile of leaves with my bare hands one minute, but I need a pitch fork for rummaging through the next?) .. and way way way too many 'emblem keys'. I got totally confused.

The puzzles were a mixture, some easy, some quite hard .. (though I think that was because the instructions weren't clear so I wasn't sure how I was supposed to solve them).

But as a said .. great fun and hours and hours of play (well .. for me anyway).

Lovely graphics, unobtrusive music .. and a happy-ever-after ending.

Nice.
Jo

collerton
Seahorse
Seahorse
20 Posts

[Post New]by collerton on Aug 13, 12 10:47 AM
I don't buy CE versions because if I pay more money for a game, I want more game. I don't want wallpaper. But I was really tempted with this game. The best game I have played all year!!

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 13, 12 5:03 PM
I dont know why but I just LOVED HOGS with mixtures of good puzzles and good graphics! Nice storylines is just cherry on the cake, but I am ALL over this game

Rating: 4/5

katiepops
Guppy
Guppy
152 Posts

[Post New]by katiepops on Aug 13, 12 6:35 PM
Just got through playing this.

Things I loved
Map for one click moving around, no traipsing about.
Storyline was ineresting
Graphics were great
Hints recharged quickly
Puzzles were all different from each other
VERY long game play. I think I went 6 hours plus

Things I didn't like

Some puzzles repeated themselves, for the same goal though not throughout.

It was hard to find things not to like about this game.

If you are on the fence, you should buy this one, If you are looking for longevity especially.
2 thumbs up
4/5 stars

noirangel
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by noirangel on Aug 14, 12 1:33 PM
I'm loving this one. I so like Elephant games. The graphics are great and its a good story line. Even the puzzles are fun. None of those ridiculous pipe ones this time, lol. I hate those things.
THis was well worth the purchase price. I haven't found any games made by Elephant that weren't great fun!! Another good job developers!

gamer_girl_09
Guppy
Guppy
113 Posts

[Post New]by gamer_girl_09 on Aug 16, 12 2:20 PM
REALLY enjoyed this game. (with just one or two small issues, but not too bad and i did buy it.

HOGs - some bordered 'junk pile' in my opinion, but were interactive in a way that made them fun and also didn't seem that any were impossible to find (never used a hint on them).

PUZZLES - I'm a puzzle player by preference, love them. There were a couple of them in this game that had me pulling hair. That's not really a bad thing when they're just a challenge, but at least 2 of them just seemed hard to grasp what you were suppose to actually be doing, or they just seemed near impossible to win. Again, that isn't a bad thing for someone like me who really likes puzzles, but if you don't, you might find yourself clicking 'skip' on a couple of them. There doesn't seem to be very many in the beginning, especially the trial, but about 1/3rd of the way into the game they start coming more often and with varying levels of difficulty.

MAP - There is one. It's really nice and convenient in that you can jump back and forth and also as convenient as the 'to do' list that pops up when you hover over an area, it's a little misleading. An "!" means you still have things to do there. I did notice that many of the locations, once the "!" was gone (tasks completed) there would be things still there left to do, just not a task.

Storyline - Great storyline that made the game interesting and a lot of creative graphics. There were many places to discover and explore and a lot of things to do that kept me interested.

Definitely recommend it!

[Post New]by wickedflower on Aug 18, 12 12:37 PM
I have just finished playing the SE and I loved it. The map was great, the graphics clear, liked the concept ,all good although at times I felt the story a bit convoluted and you are running around getting items just for the sake of it,. My only niggle was the puzzles being a bit confusing in the info bar, I will play this game again some time now I understand how some of the new type puzzles work.
I wasnt going to buy this as I didnt leap at it when I played the demo as I usually do with games but very glad I did. Great length I played on and off for a few days.

[Post New]by 2743526 on Aug 18, 12 2:41 PM

Edited on 08/22/2012 at 6:32:11 AM PST

nikma
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by nikma on Aug 20, 12 8:05 AM
molto molto bello...un po diverso dal solito,azzeccato l'utilizzo della mappa come aiuto...molto confortevole...significativa la storia e molto giusta la grafica...indovinata la musica che sottolinea le scene più forti....consiglio sicuramente l'acquisto.....

cjpandie
Guppy
Guppy
165 Posts

[Post New]by cjpandie on Aug 23, 12 6:59 PM
I very much enjoyed this game. So many different types of puzzles within this game. Loved it and do give it 5 stars..

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Sep 2, 12 7:04 AM
Loved this game...interesting story...great graphics.....challenging mini-games.....

I loved the interactive hidden object pages, but I think my favorite feature was the map that allowed me to jump straight to the place I wanted to go to instead of backing out of a scene over and over to get from one end of the place to the other.

The game play was nice and long as well (I have a hard time figuring out how long it takes for me to play a game, because I play 15 minutes here, an hour there, and so on).

I still wish they came out with more games that weren't so dark. It seems that whenever they make games that aren't dark they don't put as much into them and they just don't have the high quality the dark ones do. PLEASE BIG FISH! Some of the same kind of games without witchcraft and demons!!!

I give this game a 9 out of a 10.

Go to: