Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Re:Reviews for Criminal Stories: Presumed Partners

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 12, 12 7:11 AM
Nortank wrote:First of all, I need to correct what Valdy said about the hints. At times I had 14 or 15 of them, and I used many. You get hints for completing the games and by finding the teal stars that are hidden in many of the main scenes.

I agree with the second poster, the mystery got me hooked. I bought the game and have now finished it. Play time about 3 hours.

The story was good, the game play in general challenging enough, but relaxed as well. Some of the mini-games are timed and you can get more hints by completing within the time.

The story was good. The graphics could have been better.

All-in-all, it was worth the buy.

If you read my post properly, you will see that I said you get 6 hints in all for the whole game, but can get more hints by collecting stars.

--- --- ---

I also did mention that I on purpose used up all the hints to see if in fact I really did not get just another one after the refill, and I didn't. As WolfenRaindancer said, I could have gotten more hints by collecting the teal-coloured stars, I just didn't care for the game enough to continue with it after I used up all the hints.

[Post New]by NancySusan on Aug 12, 12 7:55 AM
Well, I don't think this is as bad a game as some people felt; in fact, if you're looking for a crime story, with overly simplistic detecting techniques (these detectives have never heard of the forensics lab for instance, or fingerprint experts, or the fact that blood work-ups on recent deaths can take weeks to come in, or that it's the NYPD, not the New York City Police, and no detectives from one precinct, let alone a different borough, would go anywhere else without checking in with the local precinct, because they would have no jurisdiction out of their own precinct), anyway, it's not a bad game. The graphics are very clear and when they're too small or hidden, which was rare during the 56 mins. I played, the zoom icon is quite helpful. During the demo you have several not that hidden objects scenes, a match 3, a jigsaw puzzle of sorts (reconstruct a torn photo),one of those move around the pieces to construct a whole picture, which I lost patience with and skipped after the requisite 3 minutes, and several find "x" number of the following items. Each scene has a few extra hints you can obtain by clicking on the small green stars, although in the later scenes I hardly saw any (I ended with 13 hints and used several per scene). The zoom helps in locating the green stars sometimes, so I did a lot of going back and forth between the regular view, which is once in a while wider than the screen you're looking at and the zoom version where you definitely need to scroll the scene back and forth and sometimes up and down, but not by that much. The lab work wasn't that interesting and kind of creaky in how it was laid out to play. By the end of the demo, I was getting a bit bored and thinking I wouldn't mind this game for free, but I'm not sure I want to pay for it. Oh, and to the developers, thanks for an actual murder story (no demons, witches, etc.), but the detecting is pretty simple-minded. Oh, yes, Americans don't say "fancy doing "x?" That's British English, and we generally say glasses or sunglasses, not spectacles, 2 little oopsies I noticed.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 12, 12 9:08 AM
I have tried these games before and didn't like them and still don't. They have improved but still not to my liking.

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Aug 12, 12 12:20 PM
I pass.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 12, 12 12:22 PM
This is basically a HOG game. I do not like strictly HOG games so I am not interested. Some have said it is an improvement from HdO, which is good. But, since it is principally a HOG game, I am passing on this one. To me, it seems improved. Still found it hard to find some items, however. If you like games with many HOG scenes, this game should make you happy.

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Aug 12, 12 1:58 PM
Wow! Was hoping for a nice SE for a change, but was very disappointed. Don't care for the characters popping in and out, very distracting. Really don't care for the scrolling screen. Haven't figured out what the siren has to do with anything, but starts screaming now and then. Very simple game. Prefer a list of items to find and not a couple at a time. Very old school game play.

Sorry, but I just can't find anything to praise this game for. Might be nice for a beginner, but not for long. Definitely a no buy for me.

Headed to the beach tomorrow for vacation, so hopefully some good games come along while we are gone this week. Thanks for the reviews.

MarkAlan
Herring
Herring
314 Posts

[Post New]by MarkAlan on Aug 12, 12 2:07 PM
dancemom1 wrote:Haven't figured out what the siren has to do with anything

I noticed the siren occurs when you press the Hint/Clue button on the left side.

ausbill
Guppy
Guppy
106 Posts

[Post New]by ausbill on Aug 12, 12 2:49 PM
i dont like these games i have to say. people popping in and out all the time is very annoying.one comes from the right and the other one from the left. rarely both on the screen at the same time. the scrolling is a pest too.if you click on a hint it will usually move to another place and then you discover there was an object in the area you were in. i dont think i will bother with this one until i see some positive reveiws.

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Aug 12, 12 3:54 PM
Seems to be a HdO adventure put out by Solilab. That's probably enough said to prevent wasting time on this clunker... Same old, same old. Clunky controls, TONS of instructions to click through (apparently they think gamers are stupid?)... just annoying. I lasted 9 minutes and was shocked to see that little time had passed when I exited out I thought for sure I'd been playing at LEAST half an hour. It's an easy game and it's not the worst put out by HdO so maybe some will like it? I would at least wait for it to be on a 99 cent sale or if you're desperate a $2.99 sale.

jacquibagley
Squid
Squid
65 Posts

[Post New]by jacquibagley on Aug 12, 12 4:07 PM
There are stars in every scene for you to collect for hints.

sinshack
Flounder
Flounder
2,150 Posts

[Post New]by sinshack on Aug 13, 12 4:12 AM
"A rose by any other name would smell as sweet."

Well, an HdO by any other name would smell . . .not sweet. The swooping motion of the scrolling had me dizzy within seconds, so I just hit the exit button rather than look for the symbol that I would hope turns off the scrolling.

This may be an improvement over other games, but I can't get past the clunky gameplay and controls long enough to find out. Sorry, but this game just wasn't for me.

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Aug 13, 12 5:22 AM
now this game in not that catching and is not fun to play, we will not buy this one.----------------doug & lisa

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Aug 13, 12 10:55 AM
I didn't find it clunky nor boring.... 'different' and not state of the art, yet enjoyable for the right time and mood .. the story is actually there and enough change of pace within the game to keep it interesting.. I bought with a credit and am enjoying it very much... what can I say, I truly enjoy diversity.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 13, 12 10:14 PM
I never quite like trying to scroll left and right and finding objects that are sometimes so tiny that even with the magnifying it is very hard to see.

Verdict: Not worth buying, but if you had a stamp and a child below 12 years of age, consider getting this game. The puzzles are easy, and all of the puzzles come with hint. The HOGs sometimes had very very tiny objects. Can get frustrated as there is no sound except the music. The 2 characters (both investigators) "pop=up" left and right side of the screen to talk to each other without sound! U actually had to read the story line instead of having the character "talk" so that u know whats happening and get to enjoy sultry or manly or cutesy voices

Rating: 2/5

(0.5pts added for variety of puzzles)

Kamille_59
Seahorse
Seahorse
21 Posts

[Post New]by Kamille_59 on Sep 7, 12 9:59 AM
It is my rule not to give up on the games even if the game reviews are not that positive. This time I did as usual and unfortunately I must confess this game is cut out for someone else, but not me. I tried as hard as I can to find an appealing feature but I failed to do this. The game is outright easy, it is not meant for adults at all. So many instructions, who needs them? The most annoying of all I found the characters popping in and out. I was very much bored and won’t recommend to buy this one.

lildee34481
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by lildee34481 on Sep 8, 12 4:44 PM
Well, I have a couple of things I'd like to add ...First it isn't as bad as I expected given all of the bad reviews .I am not going to buy it but like another poster said I'd play it if it were free. I am glad it was kind of simple and laid back, and for me that is a plus I don't want to hunt demons and ghosts and have to keep going to different scenes to find HO and then have to figure out what I'm supposed to do with them after I find them. The story wasn't bad I like "criminal" games that's why I bought Criminal minds although I am 'stuck '. The point is I'd like to see more of these kind of games that you can play and relax as you're doing it and not get stressed out ,isn't that the whole idea about playing a game ? Bottom line I guess I'm old school when it comes to these games give it a little challenge but don't make it so hard and time consuming that you never want to play it .I haven't found a game I am willing to buy in almost 3 months.give me a good murder mystery like "Shades of grey" now that was a good game to me !!!

Go to: