Re:Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ - What did you think?

[Post New]by 7Bunny on Nov 28, 08 9:32 PM
I thought it was very different the other MCF games, but I still liked it. I did have a few technical issues where I had to uninstall/reinstall, but for the most part, I loved it! I don't think I'll play it over and over as much as the other games, since it's closer to a large file game, but I will definitely play it a few more times.

dcairns
Lobster
Lobster
96 Posts

[Post New]by dcairns on Nov 28, 08 10:02 PM
I just finished and I must say you guys did a brilliant job! The graphics are amazing, the music is perfect, and it was just challenging enough without being so hard you give up.

I also liked that it wasn't over in an hour or two like many of the games out there.

I would recommend this to anyone thinking of buying it! All of the BFG people who created and worked on this deserve a HUGE pat on the back and thank you!

Keep more like this one coming and you have a customer for life!

[Post New]by amekelatos on Nov 28, 08 10:44 PM
Absolutely loved it! Stellar combination of challenging HO scenes and tricky logic puzzles that are intertwined within a constantly moving and explorable interface. It was a great suprise to see an already perfect game series evolve into something even better.This new edition has raised the bar and I can't wait till the next release! The adventurous, challenging scenes allow for multiple family members to play along and it's a great way to spend some quality time. Best game-should win game of the year for sure!

folkdance
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by folkdance on Nov 28, 08 10:51 PM
The graphics are very nice and I like the music too. Sometimes I get lost and can't find my way back to a particular room or puzzle and that gets frustrating, plus I keep trying to go to the left and it seems like everything over there is already finished...

The game is entertaining enough to make me want to finish it and I certainly think it was worth the money (especially with a coupon code!)

It really came as a surprise when I finally could get the well to work! Who knew it would be connected to that subterranean room! Now if I could just figure out what the rag is for without having to wait forever for the hint clock, I would be a lot happier.

[Post New]by ilovesunflowers on Nov 28, 08 11:02 PM
By far the best game you have done. Thank you for making it as long as it was. I loved every minute. When's the next one?

[Post New]by MacGameGirl on Nov 29, 08 12:13 AM
Hi all, this is my first "pond post", I've been playing R to R with my three daughters looking over my shoulder and we all love it. Flexible navigation, great music, fun puzzles, sense of humor, immersive art, sound and puzzles. What a great way to splash into the pond!

[Post New]by hettifrtx on Nov 29, 08 12:47 AM
I finished the very first section...visited everything and then came to the screen that shows pictures and says the adventure is just beginning. But how do I get to the game????

Poodlebear
Manatee
Manatee
4,049 Posts

[Post New]by Poodlebear on Nov 29, 08 1:28 AM
hettifrtx wrote:I finished the very first section...visited everything and then came to the screen that shows pictures and says the adventure is just beginning. But how do I get to the game????

Did you buy it? That sounds like the end of the demo...?

Catrin72
Minnow
Minnow
211 Posts

[Post New]by Catrin72 on Nov 29, 08 1:38 AM
I've have finished RTR for the 4th time now.
After completing the game for the first time, (ten and a half hours, with at least 3 skipped mini-puzzles), I wasn't sure of the replay value.
Obviously, that has ceased to be an issue!
Because I now know where to go and which objects I need next, I spend less time wandering aimlessly and get to the HO sections faster.
The other thing is the level of detail in the graphics. I keep seeing new things on every play through.

I like that there is no timer.
I *love* that the casebook pages change depending on which area you do. I liked not being locked into a specific 'path' in order to advance. Yes, there are parts that have to be completed before you can move on but there are other areas I could work on first until going back to the stuck part.
I don't like the puzzle on Rose's coffin, I skipped it on the first 3 playthroughs. I was able to solve it on the 4th go round.

The footprints in the water in the kitchen are, imho, the biggest clue that there is someone else around. The fact that the candles are lit all over the place ~ well, we've seen that in other games which didn't have somebody lurking around!

Did anybody else catch that the Whack-A-Troll game was the "Property of Madame Fate"?

The graphics, sound, creepy factor ~ this is an excellent game!
I am already anxious for the time travel sequence when we go to 1895 to track down Victor!

Thanks to BFG for this absolutely spectacular game. I am really even more glad that I bought enough games for the artwork during Octoberfest. Now I'm just trying to decide which screen shot would be the one I would most like to have!

Keep up the great work!

SolarEclipse
Minnow
Minnow
230 Posts

[Post New]by SolarEclipse on Nov 29, 08 2:42 AM
I'm playing it through for the second time and it's so much fun. The graphs are excellent and the music is superb. What I love about this game is that you actually get to go inside Ravenhearst Manor. It's so cool just to wander around the house. In most hidden object games, once you complete the scene you can't go back. But that's why this is so spectacular, because you can go back to the different buildings and just look around.

I LOVE the clicking typewriter that just clicks away when you find items. It's so cute. I like the noise it makes.

Hooray for no timer!!!

Ravenhearst Manor is like the most terrific haunted house on the block. It reminds me of the "Psycho" house. COOL!!! You guys are good at making creepy HOGs, but not offensive and grotesque.

The creepy dolls were a nice touch with the moving eyes.

I wish we could have gone to the lighthouse and looked around. But I loved the elevator and the trolley. I hope BFG makes a couple of more games like this.

I LOVE THIS GAME!!!

kanona29
Seahorse
Seahorse
22 Posts

[Post New]by kanona29 on Nov 29, 08 2:46 AM

This game was really really good! BFG has really set a standard for high quality thought-provoking games.

I for one have been tired of all the Hidden Object Games....That genre has gotten old really fast for me, but I love the way BFG has incorporated the Hidden Object Game genre with the Adventure game genre. Total perfection....The way this game is mapped out, you really should be able to appreciate the intelligent layout of the game.

I was extremely satisfied once the game was over and it's definitely worth buying!! This game really has me looking forward to future MCF games if this is a taste of what's to come!!

Keep up the excellent work!

KDinMD43
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by KDinMD43 on Nov 29, 08 3:31 AM
LindaMS wrote:Simply said - the best game in this genre since The 7th Guest, and truly a worthy successor. (For anyone not old enough to have played 7th Guest, it is THE granddaddy of all the "solve the puzzles in the spooky old haunted house, and get the locked doors to open" games.)

I loved the storyline that pulled you along, the seamless integration of HO/puzzles into the adventure format, the spooky environment and the puzzles that were much different than the same old puzzle types you find in every game. I have only a few minor nitpicks - First, as an older gamer, the reflex-based, timed puzzles were very annoying. I hate skipping puzzles, so I finished each one, but it took quite a while. Second, the additions to the plot seemed pretty convoluted. Why were Rose's daughters with her at the manor when she was kidnapped the day that Emma died? And even more importantly, where did this son come from? He seems to be older than the twins, but we'd never heard that he was a widower when he was courting Emma (and you didn't get divorced back then). IMHO, it would have been better to make him a much younger brother of Charles. All in all though, those are minor complaints about a truly marvelous game.

KDinMD43
Guppy
Guppy
198 Posts

[Post New]by KDinMD43 on Nov 29, 08 3:34 AM
I'm with you on everything. I played 7th guest too. I agree about the parts that involve hand eye coordination. I come from a game time where, believe it or not all of it was typed not point and click. Does anyone remember the original Adventure game by IBM? It had no pictures only words and you had to put together sentences to do anything. ie: Pick up bowl, walk south etc.

Talk about time changing! Woops, I think I just dated myself.

[Post New]by Hedwig482 on Nov 29, 08 3:45 AM
I love this game!! The puzzles were great and I loved how I could walk around and figure things out in my own pace. Got stuck a couple of times and spent time just walking around but I figured it out. I don't know how MCF will create a better game than this one.

podette
Clownfish
Clownfish
527 Posts

[Post New]by podette on Nov 29, 08 3:56 AM
All I can say to BFG regarding this game is:-

TRULY FANDABIDOSI, AMAZING, WONDERFUL, MORE MORE PLEEEEEEEEEEEEEESE.

X X X X X

r_a_v_e_n
Seahorse
Seahorse
39 Posts

Re:Mystery Case Files: Return to Ravenhearst ™ - Mac Users - Explanation

[Post New]by r_a_v_e_n on Nov 29, 08 5:28 AM
Picman, I'm glad somebody from Big Fish finally answers the mac users...
I hope the main game developer will be better soon
And can we get an answer to the question when we can expect Hidden Expedition Amazon for mac please?
Thanks...

picman050967 wrote:Hi Mac users -
In this case it is not a lazy mac developer. The MCF development environment is more complex and does not allow this. Thus we cannot start the Mac version until the PC version is complete or the games would end up being different. We were actually working up until the last minute. The main game developer on the project barely slept in the last week and is sick in bed today.
Thus work on the mac version has begun and will be identical to the PC version. It will not take until March, it will be much sooner, but we do not have an exact date yet.
I know this does not make it easier to wait, but hopefully it explains the logic.

Picman

BTW all the artist on this game use Mac's so the delay is not because we do not love Macs!

Bevwhiskey
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by Bevwhiskey on Nov 29, 08 5:57 AM
LOVE the game overall;
The comments when you click on a wrong object or try to use the wrong tool add a touch of humour
I like that you don't get timed out from completing a puzzle or a level
I like that there is not one set way to complete levels or puzzles

HOWEVER...
The times when rose is speaking (or Charles at the end) are really annoying! The voice and the captions are not in sync and leave you waiting for them to finish far too long!
Another annoying tihing is the lenth of time it takes the elevator to go up or down, and the cable car takes way to long to reach its destination

but.. biggest pet peeve is the ending. I REALLY hate the end, no I mean I REALLY HATE IT! In fact I hate the end so much that it might put me off buying another one in the series. I will have to think seriously about it.

lineck
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,140 Posts

[Post New]by lineck on Nov 29, 08 6:07 AM
lineck wrote:
FireMissiles wrote:Just finished it (4hr 4min if anyone interested) and am very muchly impressed.

MCF just keeps pushing the benchmark for hidden object games, good job to all involved.

Now, when's the next one

F.

Goodness it has taken me 8 hours at least just to get in the first door and down the lift Well Done What a great game if I ever finish

It has taken me 24 hours and also missed some puzzles Well Done

[Post New]by mazzerkins on Nov 29, 08 6:13 AM
[b]PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE give us some warning next time there is a MCF due to be released, that way I can spring clean my house, give my husband some attention and cook that days meals in advance. As it is, I am sitting here still in my dressing gown, listening to husband putting the washing on and hoovering, but the guilt is not quite enough to stop me from trying to solve the moon puzzle. I AM LOVING IT .... but glad a game like this is not released too often or BFG will need to start a marriage guidance section in these forums.

Shwester
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by Shwester on Nov 29, 08 6:15 AM
Finished it in a little over 8 hours. A tad too easy for me. The puzzles were good but the hidden objects were too easy to find. The story was great and the music was fabulous.

Go to: