timothya
Guppy
Guppy
101 Posts

Re:Your Comments and Reviews for: Tearstone

[Post New]by timothya on Jun 13, 11 9:30 PM
Played to the end. Oh, that was absolutely wonderful! Full marks to the developers for a unique game, with a plot the player has to work to dig out and with a resolution that makes the effort worthwhile. One small...sound...at the end, and you get it. Wow.

This one is not for the impatient or those too easily frustrated. Don't worry, there's plenty of help and that feeling that you don't really know what to do next is perfectly all right. This is DEFINITELY not a beginner's game!

Beautiful graphics, lovely music, and just enough plot, doled out sparingly and for which you have to work. Five fins of five.

granimal
Seahorse
Seahorse
28 Posts

[Post New]by granimal on Jun 15, 11 8:05 AM
I am livid with anger over this game. Having to start completely from the beginning with the updated version was not what I expected from BF. It appears that too many games are being released with major glitches, like this one. And to add insult to injury, the NEW version requires going thru the tedious tutorial again as well. Where is my saved file....gone, of course. I would never have purchased this had I know it was so poorly made and naturally, no refund for a game I really do want to have to play again for an hour just to get where I was before.. Shame on BFGs for this one from a long-term player who is now so dissatisfied.

sapphire46
Manatee
Manatee
3,740 Posts

[Post New]by sapphire46 on Jun 18, 11 4:13 AM
Really enjoyed this game. Completely different from normal HOGS that made a refreshing change. Little grey cells were severly challenged in some places, but that made the game different.
Had no glitches, graphics, music etc all great Was sorry to see it finished

Well done!!

Gwennoel
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by Gwennoel on Jun 19, 11 1:02 PM
I'm in chapter 6 , it says to use the scissors to shear the sheep, which I did, then it says put the scissors & wool in the mixer but now my scissors are gone .

Gwennoel
Guppy
Guppy
189 Posts

[Post New]by Gwennoel on Jun 19, 11 1:31 PM
Never mind, I'm in the wrong forum, going to the right one !

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Jun 20, 11 6:49 PM
The longer I play the more I'm liking this game…

Difficult enough to be challenging.
Challenging enough to provide hours of game play.
Game play enough to be worth full price.
Full price could be free if you still have your May BFG give away coupon!

Honestly -- I can't find any fault with this game. I like the artwork. I like the expressions on the characters you meet. I like that he H0's are scattered all over -- more like finding loads of inventory items. I like how you must figure out how to use / combine every single one. I like the occasional puzzle (none to hard but different from the usual). I like the progression through the different areas you must traverse. I even like the quirky, somewhat non-story -- I have no idea what I will find when I finally reach Tearstone. I like that there is a helpful diary and a task list if you want to use it.

It takes a while to get into this game, but you will before the demo is over. Voice overs would have been a nice addition, but this one still gets x 5 from me.

Edited on 06/20/2011 at 6:51:09 PM PST

Seester2
Guppy
Guppy
197 Posts

[Post New]by Seester2 on Jun 22, 11 4:11 PM
Not a buy for me...I thought it was too cluttered and busy and the graphics were too grainy. The storyline was sketchy and just not intriguing to me. Sorry!

chruke
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by chruke on Jun 23, 11 1:02 PM
Excellent!!!!! Enjoyed this game very much. Look forward to more like this. Thank You!!

Noonio
Starfish
Starfish
49 Posts

[Post New]by Noonio on Jun 25, 11 3:36 PM
Just finished playing Tearstone. The length of the game was enough. The graphics were nice. I didnt try the demo and just bought it which is not something I normally do but I took a chance. The risk paid off. I thought it was worth the money. Wasnt one of my absolutely favourites but just a nice game. I did get stuck on a few things but it wasnt too difficult. I give it a 3.5 out of 5. Thanks BF, keep em coming.

Gieyo
Clownfish
Clownfish
766 Posts

[Post New]by Gieyo on Jun 26, 11 5:41 AM
Just downloaded the trial (not visiting much BFG lately). Despite it's another HOG with little else, I thought while I was playing (notice bold) that the game was challenging enough as to make it more interesting than usual.
The graphs were nice despite some details I did not like, and the lack of a storyline that made sense left me wanting to know what was going on.
When my demo timed ran out, I came to the forum to see about the length.
That's when I decided I'm not buying it. I managed to get almost to Chapter 5 as far as I could see in the walkthrough, which means I managed to do slightly more than half the game already (so I'm not sure anymore it was challenging, just confused and cluttered).

I should note that what I found challenging were findings ome of the hidden objects and sometimes knowing what to mix.
IMHO the puzzles (at least in the first 4 chapters) were very simple and sometimes really tedious ( the puzzle with red squares and circles, for example). Since I'm not fond of skipping puzzles, it all ads up to a sad no buy for me.

I'd give it a 6/5 because of the art work (despite the design was not my favourite it was nicely done) and for all the reviews that say the developers took notice on the suggestions of the testers/players. I think that's really good and compensates somehow for what I didn't like.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Jun 27, 11 12:15 AM
Thanks Dragons Eye studio thanks Big Fish great Game I did not get bored as I do sometime with the plain old HOGS this was just a bit different !!!
Good story line and and a proper ending for a change !!!!
Love to see a sequal !! Can recommend especially if you Like Dream Chronicles !! Four suns to make up for the lousy summer here in UK !!!

theoldbag
Herring
Herring
363 Posts

[Post New]by theoldbag on Jun 27, 11 3:36 PM
What fun! I just purchased a 22" screen and this was my first game using it. A beautiful game to begin with. After over 140 games purchased I decided at my age I would spoil myself and get a larger screen. The game was so unusual that I was surprised with many of the mini- games. I have to admit that I had to use the walkthrough a couple of times but that's what it's for I guess. The story line was nice and the game had a nice flow. Kudos to Dragons Eye Studios! I will be looking for another from you. And thanks again BF. Having the time of my life in my later years.

Edited on 06/27/2011 at 3:39:31 PM PST

KatzHome
Guppy
Guppy
114 Posts

[Post New]by KatzHome on Jul 5, 11 11:07 AM
I really enjoyed the gameplay and the end is beautiful! Thanks for making such a great game.

[Post New]by otterhoundmama on Jul 12, 11 11:33 AM

This is a great game. I was quite enjoying playing until I got stopped. I find the mixing thing a little annoying but that is my only crit.

This is the same comment I have posted in the forum with no replies. I don't know if that means my problem is idiosyncratic, stupidity, or a glitch. am at the end of chapter 6 but I can't solve the box puzzle because somehow I "lost" one of the gold rings. The inventory box is lit up blue but it says 0/3. I have repeatedly gone back to the gold ring sites but there are no longer any gold rings there so clearly the game thinks I have already picked them up too. At one point the game said 3/3 also. Could any of you help. Thanks!

Liasmani
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
19,504 Posts

[Post New]by Liasmani on Jul 23, 11 2:50 PM
Graphics – 2.5 stars
Story – 2.5 stars
Music/Sounds – 3 stars
Gameplay – 3 stars
Overall – 2.75 stars

My ratings of games can be high as 5 and can be low as 1.

Ratings Explained:

1 star: Poor
2 stars: Okay
3 stars: Good
4 stars: Great
5 stars: Excellent

I won’t be purchasing this game at all. For those who did – Happy Gaming!

Cobweb55
Minnow
Minnow
256 Posts

[Post New]by Cobweb55 on Aug 3, 11 8:59 AM
I've read a lot of reviews regarding this game. You either love it or hate it, not much in between.

I LOVED it!!! BEAUTIFUL graphics, long play, just plain fun.

My only negative comment is that in most scenes, there are only one or two things to pick up or do... the graphics were so fantastic, that there could have been a lot more to do at each scene, but all in all.... I'm really glad I purchased it and will play it again!!

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Aug 11, 11 5:58 AM
SPOILER ALERT!

Having just finished this game, I am profoundly aware that there was NO WAY I would have been able to complete this game, without having a Walkthrough to guide me through it. Like many people, I had trouble getting the telephone & parrot system to work, UNTIL I followed what another gamer had done, & used the telephone code "2-2-2-3", INSTEAD, of the one listed on the Walkthrough, which is the office's number "2-2-3".

I believe this is one of the remaining glitches in the game that has yet to be cleaned up. It required more than two dozen attempts, for me to FINALLY get the phone system to work. The Unicorn radio system was complicated, as well, as I was perceiving the three symbols near the corncob step, as being linear, rather than a set of corner figures, which I later learned they were.

The light fuses, outside of the cottage at the end of the game, were confusing, as well. I thought there had to be two fuses lit on the top & all four fuses lit on the bottom. I never would have finished the game, if I hadn't been able to look up the correct interpretation of what the designers wanted us to do, in the Walkthrough.

Overall, it was a very challenging game, for me, with some VERY charming characters & locations, but a very confusing plotline, as well. The cute, creative, interesting characters and beautiful locations, were what kept me going through the many confusing portions.

I didn't understand why the protagonist needed to steal the painting and paint a forgery, nor was it clear to me why he needed to break into the sleeping man's house. There were several other scenes which didn't make sense, in terms of the storyline, either. However, I liked the final message of the game, but it took lots of work to get there!

[Post New]by RainbowExplorer on Aug 11, 11 6:04 AM
otterhoundmama wrote:
This is a great game. I was quite enjoying playing until I got stopped. I find the mixing thing a little annoying but that is my only crit.

This is the same comment I have posted in the forum with no replies. I don't know if that means my problem is idiosyncratic, stupidity, or a glitch. am at the end of chapter 6 but I can't solve the box puzzle because somehow I "lost" one of the gold rings. The inventory box is lit up blue but it says 0/3. I have repeatedly gone back to the gold ring sites but there are no longer any gold rings there so clearly the game thinks I have already picked them up too. At one point the game said 3/3 also. Could any of you help. Thanks!

SPOILER ALERT!

Hi Otterhoundmama!

Those were not gold rings, but, rather, the letter "O" to be placed on top of the old box, found at the bottom of the dry well, next to the ladder. Those 3 letter "O's" have to be inserted into the words on the top of the box, in order for the box to open and give you a dagger and a bell piece that you will need. Hope that helps!

Rainbow

Edited on 08/11/2011 at 6:05:48 AM PST

[Post New]by ghostygirl on Aug 19, 11 5:56 PM
Visually beautiful game. Different than all the shades of gray and blue. However, I do not think I have EVER clicked so much in a game or encountered so many "There's nothing to do here now." It gets frustrating and old REAL fast. I'm not a newbie to HOGs but I couldn't help but feel like a moron playing this. I don't know if that is good or bad lol.

lvfao
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
499 Posts

[Post New]by lvfao on Sep 25, 11 3:24 PM
first of all it was just in your face, after that the tutorial, which had no skip option, was annoying and lengthly. finally i got to the point where i could finally click on an object and the screen went black. i'm thinking the 3 strike rule just went into affect. i play to escape the frustrations of my day, not to add to them, and there are just too many choices to settle on one that irritates me. no buy from an extremely selective customer.

Go to: