nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

Re:?? for those who've played both versions of MCF

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 13, 09 11:43 AM
Piloxi,

I just read two posts which you left on the CE forum. I have taken the liberty of copying and pasting as I don't want to misquotel

This one is under the thread titled (by you) "Non CE version a good deal"

"This thread is just for those who don't enjoy the "extras" -- stuff like badges, behind the scenes footage, wallpapers, concept art etc.

I think we will be getting a good deal because we have to only pay $6.99 for a game that's more suited to our own preferences.

Who really doesn't LIKE extras in their games, or ignores them for the most part? I play dozens of games and badges are the least interesting thing about them. I remember the Nancy Drew games started doing badges and it's just a screen to click through for me at the end. The one fun thing they started including was "bloopers" (not real ones mind you, but manufactured bloopers for humor's sake).

Concept art bores me. I can take my own screenshots for wallpapers.

So on a positive note instead of thinking about what you're missing (which isn't much if anything at all if you don't like the extras to begin with), look at this as a good deal.

Now if the game had significant gameplay -- and by that I mean levels and full levels not just one scene here or there -- then it might be worth it but I'd still ignore all the rest. Like with Tomb Raider, they put out the game and then put out extra levels (TR Gold, TR 2 Gold), or in the case of The Lost Artifact, a few levels that almost equaled a new game.

For those who LIKE extras and purchased Dire Grove, this thread obviously isn't for you. For those who don't like the extra stuff, we aren't missing anything simply because it's included for those who do like it at a higher price."

I think you named all of the CE extras except for the morphing objects so I concluded that was what was getting you upset. Then I found the following posted by you under a thread titled "re difference in this game and the dec. one".

“The only thing I want is more levels, more gameplay. And I don't mean one hidden object scene or some little easter egg (I find the Nancy Drew games have easter eggs -literally- that you can find but once you have the egg in your inventory you don't use it so what good is it?).”

Continued next post, I've apparently reached my word limit.

Edited on 12/13/2009 at 11:51:23 AM PST

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 13, 09 11:47 AM
So using criteria stated by you morphing objects are considered useless by you. You don't use them for anything. Heck they don't even go in your inventory.

So I'm just curious as to what has been left out of the $6.99 game that has caused you to guestion it's value? If there's something else in the CE that wasn't mentioned in your two posts, I would like to know what it is so I can look for it. I don't want to miss anything.

Edited on 12/13/2009 at 11:50:34 AM PST

forensicMD
Clownfish
Clownfish
529 Posts

[Post New]by forensicMD on Dec 13, 09 12:32 PM
Quite obviously, Sillyfeet, there is no satisfactory answer to your complaint other than having Big Fish put the morphing objects into the regular version of Dire Grove! (Forgive me if I am repeating something already said as I could not bring myself to read 12 pages on this subject.) Since Big Fish is not going to put the morphing objects into the regular version, my assumption, then you are spinning your wheels, vexing yourself when there is no answer that will satisfy you short of the above. Besides, the morphing objects were but one small, easily ignored feature of the game. I am certain that there are folks like me who bought the CE and paid no attention to the morphing objects, paying their money to get the game early and for no other reason! My advice is to give up, play the game and see the glass as half full instead of half empty!

[Post New]by wiccedgoddess on Dec 13, 09 12:43 PM
I TOTALLY agree with sillyfeet! I was under the impression that those of us who can't afford or don't pay for the CE edition would still be able to see the morphing objects. I understand that it might not be required for gameplay, but, it's still cool and still something that was implied when I bought the cheaper version of the game. Would that fall under false advertising? I really enjoy Big Fish Games, but I must admit that I am disappointed this time. I have posted a ? to CS. I guess we'll see how it turns out. Until then, I shall enjoy the game that I did buy and many more to come.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 13, 09 12:46 PM
picman has explained about the morphing being an achievement.
Read his post at the top of page 9 of this thread.

Edited on 12/13/2009 at 12:47:57 PM PST

[Post New]by libragal22 on Dec 13, 09 4:36 PM
Ok, so here's the thing that angered me. I purchased the CE and played it through 3X, had all my achievements except for the 50 morphs (needed 1) to watch the tour. I was in the middle of the 4th round when the $6.99 came out, so I downloaded the trial (limited levels) to see the difference. After 22 minuets of play it asked me to purchase the game. After reading all the forums, I decided their was no need to do so, hence, I uninstalled the reg. version. Then loaded the CE and was stunned to find all my achievements were gone and back to zero, my time was at 22 minuets, the amount the trial allowed me to play. When I started to play it was at the point I left in the 6.99 game. At first I thought I deleted the wrong one, so went back to the car and I have my morphs, but they are back to zero as well. I am very heated at this, I paid for the CE to have extras and wanted to see about the el cheapo version and look what happens. Now I have to start from scratch and get all my achievements again. I will be letting CS know about this glitch--NOT GOOD!! I don't even feel like playing now--cause I already played 3 1/2X and only needed one morph object. It is a feeling of disappointment after being a club member for many years.

Has this happened to anyone else? If I delete the CE and reinstall--will my trophy's be back?

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Dec 14, 09 7:12 AM
libragal22 wrote:

Has this happened to anyone else? If I delete the CE and reinstall--will my trophy's be back?

When you downloaded and started playing the $6.99 version, you wrote over the small file that keeps track of your progress. Unless somehow you backed up your computer before doing this, you have probably lost your achievements.

You might be able to recover the old file with help from someone who knows a lot about computers, but there is no guarantee. Try Googling "recovering deleted files".

BTW for all of you who are complaining about the differences between the two versions, how about us Mac people who can't play either!

Purplerabbit
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
18,590 Posts

[Post New]by Purplerabbit on Dec 14, 09 8:53 AM
I missed this thread while I was away and din't realise just how huge it would get!
I can't believe what fuss people are making over an aspect of a game! I already said what I said at the beginning and I'm not changing my mind, the morphing is an extra included in the CE so you can earn points towards an extra video. That's all there is to it. But to actually cancel membership over this? Just ridiculous! It's not like BFG has pesonally slighted you.
Want to know something? I didn't get all 50 when I played. Know why? I completely forgot I was supposed to be looking for them! I got sucked into the storyline and wanted to save the students. It wasn't important to me to play my game.

Sorry if I'm dragging this up, but the thread had risen, so I'm guessing we're still discussing this.

sillyfeet
Stingray
Stingray
5,447 Posts

[Post New]by sillyfeet on Dec 14, 09 11:12 AM
forensicMD...you're right, that is the only answer that will satisfy me is for BF to give me, and everyone else, back the element that they removed from the cheaper version of the game so that we could have the "exact same, complete game" like they promised. But they won't do that which is too bad.

It's easy to say the morphing doesn't matter and you barely noticed it and blah, blah blah when you're the one with the CE, not the one who waited for the standard version to come out, being assured by a company that you trusted that your version would be the same as everyone else's only to find out that it wasn't.

We can go round and round all day about whether the morphing is "essential" to the game or not, and we'll still differ on our opinion. Many of us who are feeling miffed see it as an essential part of the game, whether it actually has to do with game progress or not. Many people outside of this forum, in other game forums, see it as an essential part of the game. Some here may not see it that way, and they are welcome to their opinion. But we are also welcome to continue talking about it.

molla311
Stingray
Stingray
4,680 Posts

[Post New]by molla311 on Dec 14, 09 3:07 PM
I just want to say, it is not only an elite who can buy CE. I am out of work and have been for quite some time now. I can certenly not afford to buy 19,95$ games. One reason i joined BFG for is : you get good games for 6,99$ +DDs 2,99$.
The time before CE came out i was saving money by cutting on other things, because i wanted it. So i am not, and never have belonged to any elite group or been rich. I would have been very dissapointed if all the extra i got was a Wallpaper ( i could not even put on my walls ) Also i could absolutely do just fine without the morphs if i choose the 6,99$ version. The morphs in it selves,is not what makes the game good. It is the whole story,all the work they put in it - what it is about.
No i do hope noone get angry with me for say my thing, thank you.
A with a very little income.

[Post New]by libragal22 on Dec 14, 09 4:49 PM
RyeMcLaughlin wrote:
libragal22 wrote:

When you downloaded and started playing the $6.99 version, you wrote over the small file that keeps track of your progress. Unless somehow you backed up your computer before doing this, you have probably lost your achievements.

You might be able to recover the old file with help from someone who knows a lot about computers, but there is no guarantee. Try Googling "recovering deleted files".

BTW for all of you who are complaining about the differences between the two versions, how about us Mac people who can't play either!

Well I don't know a lot about computers, I guess if I had, I may have known I needed to back up my system before hand. I wonder if BG could include this tid bit in future similar situations?

dogmama
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,998 Posts

[Post New]by dogmama on Dec 14, 09 5:13 PM
sillyfeet wrote:forensicMD...you're right, that is the only answer that will satisfy me is for BF to give me, and everyone else, back the element that they removed from the cheaper version of the game so that we could have the "exact same, complete game" like they promised. But they won't do that which is too bad.

Sillyfeet,
The extra cost between the CE and regular edition is $13.00. Is there no way that you and others can see that the extras including the morphing items are worth the extra? Would you like to break down just how much each extra is worth? The morphing items have nothing to do with the game. The extra **** scenes and extra puzzles have nothing to do with the game itself. The game stands alone without any of those. They are all extras that make the CE cost MORE THAN TWICE AS MUCH as the regular edition.

[Post New]by tedebear3 on Dec 14, 09 6:14 PM
I haven't played both versions but I was wondering if the game itself is the same. I have gotten pretty far but got stumped. I came to the forum to find help. The hints I read said something about finding potato chips, I can't find them let alone get them, also getting the porclain rabbit head it won't let me break the rabbit with the hammer. I have the 699 version. Thanks

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Dec 15, 09 2:39 AM
The game is the same, but the rabbit's head and potato chips are CE only.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Dec 15, 09 6:44 AM
Gosh. I had to stop reading posts in this topic after about page 3 because I was seriously getting miffed at sillyfeet and those complaining about morphing objects being MIA.

I'm here to say that I'm cheap. You heard me. Cheap. Yet even I bought CE version because I saw the value and wanted the fun extras. Which btw, silly feet, I for one would not have paid $13 for just wallpaper and junk. I paid extra for morphing objects, the achievements and because they went to a lot of cost for this game (on location shooting which was not in Madame Fate). Normally that part wouldn't have swayed me, but in conjunction with the extras I went for it.

And I'd demand a discount of my $13 if they ever made the $6.99 version come with the morphing after I'd paid the extra.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 15, 09 6:46 AM
fundhorzurodenon wrote:Tellme i just did the free trial for the game club and i still can't download DireGrove..this game is the only reason i joined

Use the green envelope on the right side of this page and contact for technical support.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 15, 09 7:50 AM
Some of you are going off the track and missing the point at why some of us are miffed (as we are entitled to be)

It was stated that there would be no game differences between the basic and collectors editions- only locked levels.
As you can see from all the confused posts trying to follow the walkthrough playing the game- there are differences and those being the morphing objects.

Picman has apologised and admitted they were unclear- so there is no need for everyone to continue to keep telling us how wrong we are - as we clearly were not wrong.

nwl43
Stingray
Stingray
4,931 Posts

[Post New]by nwl43 on Dec 15, 09 8:02 AM
govegril wrote:Some of you are going off the track and missing the point at why some of us are miffed (as we are entitled to be)

It was stated that there would be no game differences between the basic and collectors editions- only locked levels.
As you can see from all the confused posts trying to follow the walkthrough playing the game- there are differences and those being the morphing objects.

Picman has apologised and admitted they were unclear- so there is no need for everyone to continue to keep telling us how wrong we are - as we clearly were not wrong.

Still don't see it that way. Sorry. So following your logic there's no reason for your continuing to tell me I'm wrong.

dashwood95
Minnow
Minnow
273 Posts

[Post New]by dashwood95 on Dec 15, 09 9:50 AM
Actually, there is no "Game" difference from the morphing so your logic is flawed. Game difference implies that your gameplay is affected (either adversely or otherwise) which it is not. We get a perk, a bonus, an "extra" of being able to see cool morphing objects WHICH open up a special achievement. It doesn't affect or impact your ability to beat the game. It merely adds an additional layer (like an additional level if you will) for us. So either buy the CE addition or chill out. Please.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Dec 15, 09 10:11 AM
dashwood95 wrote:Actually, there is no "Game" difference from the morphing so your logic is flawed. Game difference implies that your gameplay is affected (either adversely or otherwise) which it is not. We get a perk, a bonus, an "extra" of being able to see cool morphing objects WHICH open up a special achievement. It doesn't affect or impact your ability to beat the game. It merely adds an additional layer (like an additional level if you will) for us. So either buy the CE addition or chill out. Please.

I did buy the CE

The morphing objects are in the collectors edition and not in the basic editon. That is a game difference

Go to: