xnikx
Sea Anemone
Sea Anemone
1 Posts

I feel RIPPED OFF and ANGRY!!

[Post New]by xnikx on Feb 7, 09 4:13 AM
Seriously..after playing Madam Fate last week and LOVING the game to death I thought hmmm I just HAVE to buy Return to Ravenhurst. All I can say is that the puzzles are totally stupid. youd have to be a rocket scientist 50 times over just to work some of them out!

I bought the damn game to work it out for myself NOT to come to damn forums to discuss 'wheres this' & 'wheres that'. You shouldnt have to ask questions! Judging by the amount of threads it seems everyones having the same problem.

Sorry Big Fish Games but youve well and truely 'jumped the shark' this time and where you wouldve had me as a customer to buy more games Return To Ravehearst has totally turned me off ever buying another game again.

Ive had my rant..bye!

Re:I feel RIPPED OFF and ANGRY!!

[Post New]by nykelli1843 on Feb 7, 09 5:58 AM
Where's that flounce emoticon when ya need it? lol.

[Post New]by greksgirl on Feb 7, 09 9:31 PM
My main objection to RTR is having to buy and USE a strategy guide just to play the game. The puzzles are hard but if I don't like them I can just skip them, but having to refer to the guide at just about every step is a bit much. I play these games to relax and unwind, this just hypes me up. Sure can't play it before bedtime. I guess I should have played the trial before I bought it but it wouldn't run and I really loved the first game. That will teach me. I will continue to play Big Fish and I don't think you should condemn them based only on this one game. Try out MCF-Ravenhearst and the other MCF games. If you really like hidden object (which are just about all I play) you could also try the Mystery PI, their great cause you get to find ALL the objects at the end. Give Big Fish another chance.

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Feb 7, 09 9:40 PM
xnikx and greksgirl, Welcome.

I didn't buy RTR based on all the stuff I read in the forums. I love Madame Fate. I play the games to relax, too. Hope they have another more like MF.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Feb 7, 09 9:53 PM
You don't "have to buy and use" the strategy guide. I didn't and I finished the game.

What I did have to do was read the posts on this forum from Big Fish. Each one of them gives you a clue for that section. If you need more help, you have to look at the titles of the posts and then go into that post to get help. There are also free walkthroughs all over the web, you just have to search for them. No one is going to hand you everything you need to play a game!

I needed to do check the forum for some of the mini puzzles for Madame Fate, too. Are you saying that you didn't require ANY help with MF? If so, I applaud you!

RTR does have an adventure game aspect, and that's adding a whole new level to the series. Surprisingly, I don't like adventure games, nor am I good at them, but I did fine with this game. I just don't buy games like Dracula Origin because I know I can't do them. Is that Big Fish's fault -- should they not offer adventure games because I don't like them or because I can't do them?

[Post New]by Hokiewoman on Feb 16, 09 2:18 PM
I was feeling a little stupid for having to "cheat" and check out the strategy guide and forums to do the puzzles but hey, life's short and I can now replay RTR and get much farther along on my own. In fact, this game is so complex, compared to Madame Fate, that I will probably play it several times more until I can play it through without referring to notes. I play these games to relax, too. They're fun and have good plots.

AnnBy
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,653 Posts

[Post New]by AnnBy on Feb 16, 09 2:25 PM
I had to refer to the threads a couple times to work through some puzzles, but I really enjoyed the game. I played through with my husband first and plan on going back through on my own sometime. I didn't buy the strategy guide either.

phatkhat
Stingray
Stingray
5,001 Posts

[Post New]by phatkhat on Feb 16, 09 2:33 PM
I thought the puzzles in MF were HARDER than the ones in RTR! I did skip a couple so that I could get through the story and learn the ending, but that gives me a reason to go play it again! I LOVE the adventure game aspect, but, then, I am mostly an adventure gamer. Plenty of help online without buying a strategy guide. I've NEVER paid money for one. The Universal Hint Site has a lot of help, especially for LF games. They are getting more of the casual games, too. Haven't been to look for RTR.

LizzieK
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,190 Posts

[Post New]by LizzieK on Feb 16, 09 3:02 PM
My experience with Big Fish has shown that if you are unhappy with a game or have any sort of trouble with a game, they will give you a coupon for another game. Even if you buy a game and it doesn’t run well because you have an outdated driver and they help you get an updated driver and they still give you a coupon just because you had a problem.

There really isn’t a need to buy a strategy guide with as much help as is available on the internet. There are walkthroughs, videos, pictures, and printed puzzle solutions available from many sources. There also seems to be just about 24 hour forum help for this game.

If you leave Big Fish and don’t buy anymore games from them, good luck. I don’t think you will find any game seller that you will like better. No other game seller has the customer service that Big Fish has.

I think MCF RTR is the next level and the future of hidden object adventure games. Big Fish didn't "jumped the shark" with this one. I think they are way out in front of the sharks.

giggyann
Catfish
Catfish
1,721 Posts

[Post New]by giggyann on Feb 16, 09 3:08 PM
Lizzie K
You said it all just right!!! I agree on every point. Big fish is so far ahead of the sharks that the sharks can't even see !!!
giggyann

[Post New]by greksgirl on Feb 16, 09 9:15 PM
I bought the guide cause we have a hybred internet setup- sat. in and phone out, ATT has no idea when we might be able to get DSL, and with this we are on dial-up for 6 hrs. then we have to reconnect. We also network 3 PC's with my DH's PC being the main, needless to say he isn't receptive to shutting down a game or task to reconnect some times. With the guide I could make my way through without having to go to a thread for help in some areas. My thanks to LizzieK for all of your guidance. I took digital photos of the guide and of your help pictures and printed out a booklet, you are my idol, I have gone to your photo bucket site for help on other games since finding you here on RTR. The forums are great as well.

gringojoy
Catfish
Catfish
1,739 Posts

[Post New]by gringojoy on Feb 16, 09 10:21 PM
xnicx? I'm sorry you couldn't play the game RTR, but???
No reason to curse about it!
You don't have to buy a guide & the forums are here for ALL of us to enjoy each others friendship & to look at guidance from each other!
I'm sorry you didn't want to seek nor find!
I wish you'd stay, as the pond is full of friends!

karenplop
Catfish
Catfish
1,609 Posts

[Post New]by karenplop on Feb 16, 09 10:37 PM
xnicx, get a grip. You don't have to curse on the forums. If you didn't like the game so be it. Don't judge BFG on one game you didn't like. I don't like lots of the games and I have even bought a few that I thought would be fun to play. Found out I was wrong. This is the first time that I have ever seen a person get on here and rant like you did about a game. I've been on the forums since it was ONLY for Madam Fate and that's well over a year.
Give an opinion on the game. I didn't like it, don't like to use a forum or guide, sorry but I like the old MCF games instead. Much easier and you don't have to rant to get your point across. I loved the game and have played it many times. I did need help with some of the puzzles but that was fun too. I got a kick out of so many having a hard time on some of the same puzzles.
Leaving the pond is silly as you will find many here that are friendly, fun, caring and happy. Take a deep breath and join in on the fun

[Post New]by frostypo on Mar 15, 09 11:53 AM
I just wish I could print out the Strategy guide, rather than having to back out each time and go check it. But if I didn't like one of Big Fish' games, I wouldn't condemn all of them, because I think Big Fish is great. I love the Hidden Object games. The puzzles are actually a little hard for me (yeah, I'm old and stupid), but I still have fun with them.

[Post New]by TheFabMissJ on Mar 31, 09 10:26 AM
I did this game with very minimal hints. It reminds me of the puzzles in the MYST series. They're not impossible, you just have to know what you're looking for. I loved it!

china1042
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
14 Posts

[Post New]by china1042 on Mar 31, 09 11:43 AM
I know how you feel. I thought when you bought the game it would come (like ones in the store) with some sort on instructions. That why I purchased the disk also. The disk does me no good because it's what I down loaded, except I paid more money! I know you have to purchas or at least I do 12 a year. It seems like they take the money our even if you don't order one and give you a credit. I am a little sorry I joined and did not just buy them at the store.

BinLA
Stingray
Stingray
5,914 Posts

[Post New]by BinLA on Mar 31, 09 4:19 PM
When you join the game club, the obligations and procedures are explained very clearly. If you read the jumbo pack information, you would have known that you were going to be charged $6.99 per month and given a game credit so you could purchase a game at your leisure. The game credits never expire, so it's not like there's a time limit.

It's not BFG's fault if you didn't read their terms and conditions.

I would suggest contacting them about cancelling your membership. They might be willing to charge you $19.99 for each game you already purchased at their membership price and release you from further obligations. I don't think you could expect more than that. It never hurts to ask.

Edited on 03/31/2009 at 4:21:36 PM PST

[Post New]by Deevers on Apr 4, 09 9:42 PM
Thank everyone who commented about the difficulty of RTR! I was beginning to think that my brain had leaked out my ears when I went to sleep last night. Now that I know I'm not the only one having problems, I'll just keep playing. I may not not like this latest game as much as I did the others, but the Mystery Case Files are still my favorite games. Good luck to you all!

tunaontoast
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,449 Posts

[Post New]by tunaontoast on Apr 10, 09 10:53 PM
Sorry you feel that way---I find that I'm successful in this game when I'm fully involved without distractions. Having a clear head so that you can remember each step of the game is very helpful. I just finished my 3rd time playing and I made it to the top ten list. YIPPY!

sanpry
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by sanpry on Apr 11, 09 2:54 AM
how strange as all the fishys say you wont find better service and you do get coupons to reload , ect, they are very good, go on lizziks photobucket and tips i print out and keep a big file, , its all fun ,lighten up and get with the challange, i might add at 65yr, i never thought i would get hooked, good luck see you in the pond.

Go to: