DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector's Edition

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 16, 12 2:30 AM
Hi there,
Having extricated myself from my work task for a short break (whilst this game downloads) I see there is no forum for the more flippant or less formal members here to post their initial impressions of this game. So here it is!
Any great tidbits for those of us on painfully slow downloads (the full game is another large file) who are eagerly awaiting on our ability to even play the trial?
(Especially, but not necessarily, from those who have played on the harder modes).
Cheers

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

Re:Comments for Witch Hunters: Stolen Beauty Collector's Edition

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 16, 12 2:42 AM

I'll get you my pretty and your little granny too ! Slap me down and call me happy this game is awesome ! It is one huge piece of eye candy let me put it to you like this if Willy Wonka had made this game it would be the one with the golden ticket, the ever lasting gobb stopper, the snoze berry of the bunch. The graphics on this game are gorgeous the story is awesome the game flows like water and I was so into the demo that the time just flew by and yes I hit the cha - ching button as fast as I could. The background noise can be a little bothersome with the whispering voices, and hooty owls and what not and the music itself is rather creepy and it is what you would expect to hear in a witches house. There is alot of gray coloring on the outside of the house but it fits everything looks and feels like it has been abandoned for years but once you step inside of the manor get ready for some eye popping beauty when the front doors opened and I was able to step inside I just sat there for a minute just looking at beauty of the art work it's so detailed and so vivid it's simply gorgeous. I'm so glad to see another game from this developer I love the Haunted Manor series they do and I'm hoping to see much more from this dev. because it's very obvious they know what they are doing and how to deliver sheer hauntingly beautiful art work. The search scenes are done really well but do pay attention when you are in a search scene outside because things do blend in very well together and I had to look for some things and again I think it's all the gray that was used for the outside. There are no voice overs but that doesn't bother me in the least and the dialogue isn't that long. This appears to be a rather lengthy game and I look forward to playing it until the very end I can't wait to see how this all plays out and trust me I really don't think I'm dealing with Glenda the good witch of the north this witch is definitely Ms. Gulch quality if not worse and apparently she's a thief as well stealing young girls beauty and youth yup she needs a house dropped on her for sure. I'm loving this game and can't wait to play more it's simply hauntingly beautiful in every sense. Give this one a try if nothing else just to see the sheer beauty of the art work. Thank you so much dev's and please let us see more from you and thank you Big Fish for another gianormus piece of eye candy ! Now where's that house I can drop on that witch. Have fun everybody !

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 16, 12 2:47 AM
Woohoo, gmac.
"It is one huge piece of eye candy let me put it to you like this if Willy Wonka had made this game it would be the one with the golden ticket, the ever lasting gobb stopper, the snooze berry of the bunch."
Sounds great!
Or will we suffer from an overload of sweet goodies?
Cheers

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 16, 12 2:53 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:Woohoo, gmac.
"It is one huge piece of eye candy let me put it to you like this if Willy Wonka had made this game it would be the one with the golden ticket, the ever lasting gobb stopper, the snooze berry of the bunch."
Sounds great!
Or will we suffer from an overload of sweet goodies?
Cheers

Thanks DLO well either way I think we'll have fun and trust me it's loaded with eye candy. Oh snap DLO I forgot the fizzy lifting drinks we might need them to wash all that eye candy down.

Edited on 08/16/2012 at 3:06:00 AM PST

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 16, 12 3:59 AM
Thanks for the comments thread Ozzie!

Hello Gmac!

Re: the game... I likey!!

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 16, 12 4:17 AM
Have I put mine in the wrong place, again?

Oh, well, I'll just move it anyway.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 16, 12 4:18 AM
Just another wtich story, but the thing that struck me right off was the exceptional quality of the graphics. Someone in this company is a talented artist. Really lovely.

The mechanics are smooth and sweet and playing in casual mode, the hint/skip are super fast. The puzzles are rather too mathematical for me but will appeal to those with ability in that area. HOGs are clear and very sharp with no clutter and are interactive, with not too many items to find.

There's no map so my hooves are going to get worn down and for a CE not to have a diary is a bit of a drag. Any codes have to be written down. I never bemoan the lack of v/os, though that will be another thing that CEs should have.

Music appeals and I like the background sounds. I also like that I do not have an inventory full of items I don't know what to do with. The most I have had so far have been about 4, all of which I got to use and actually don't have any right now. You also get to keep certain items instead of having them disappear after one use and having to find duplicates. There are abilities to find along the way, which explains what the semi-circle of empty slots is for. Something I was wondering about. I find that much better than collectibles, for which there is rarely any reward. There is also the added mystery of the snake keys, which when found do not go into the inventory.

So far it's been a very pleasant and easy play and I think they have made a good game, which has appeal and flair, though they scrimped a bit on the bells and whistles.

dianaluna
Herring
Herring
339 Posts

Maybe in another life I was a fat, female witch with a cat!

[Post New]by dianaluna on Aug 16, 12 5:12 AM
Always glad to get a good game, but I need to get one thing off my chest. Devs--just seeing the phrase "witch hunt" bothers me. Though some men were among those brutally murdered, women were the overwhelmingly persecuted. Older woman who knew some of the healing from herbs, etc were deemed suspicious --"hags"-a perjorative term still used. Some people feared their seemingly special knowledge.

Fat people, cats & witches are probably the last things that comics can make fun of without a "politically incorrect" charge. i know the stereotype Halloween witch will go on & on, but those horribly portrayed witches are women. And I do think it's part of a subtle & often not so subtle oppression of women. Maybe a dev could actually read about witches/wiccans/wicca today. He/she might be very surprised to find that being good & doing good are front & center to their beliefs.

And yes, it's just a game--just for fun, so the last 100 times I've seen these witches, I've been silent. Oh well, at least in Macbeth they were smart...& at least Frank Baum included a good one to offset the wicked one! Doubt this comment will make any difference to any Devs, but my own tolerance & silence in the face of these routine portrayals was scary.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 16, 12 5:53 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Thanks for the comments thread Ozzie!

Hello Gmac!

Re: the game... I likey!!
Hi Shadowfax Yes me likey too ! It's a really great game and it just keeps getting better the longer I play. Have fun.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 16, 12 6:24 AM
I just finished the demo and it's a really nice game. I just don't know if I'll buy it though. It seems like another game about evil and witches. Maybe after I've played my other games, I'll buy this one, when I'm bored with the ones I already have.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 16, 12 7:41 AM
This is mainly in response to complaints in the Review thread.

There is no Widescreen option...
I had no trouble seeing it without black bars Fullscreen on my 17" WS laptop with Display set to 'stretched'

You cannot access the Extras/Bonus content from the beginning...
You can use the Music soundtracks and the Wallpaper immediately. I did! You do have to complete the game before playing the Bonus chapter.

The SG doesn't indicate length of Bonus chapter...
Maybe not in the Demo, but I can tell you it has 10 pages in the Walkthrough part of the Extras. Cannot guess as to length, but the 8 regular chapters only total 36 pages. It looks like you need the Bonus to finish the game. I don't know if they will change that in the SE version. Will be some angry fishies if they don't

The background noises are annoying...
You can Reduce Volume or Mute the music and environment sounds separately in the Options

There is no Map or Journal...
I'm afraid this is true, and you have to return to previous scenes frequently.

One complaint I have that I didn't see mentioned was the Inventory Box. It opened just about every time I needed to back out of a scene. Very annoying!

Hardcore players will be angry at the numerous sparkles, but I prefer having them. Despite the drawbacks mentioned, I couldn't wait to buy this game. Loving it!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 16, 12 8:12 AM
moonladydi wrote:This is mainly in response to complaints in the Review thread.

The background noises are annoying...
You can Reduce Volume or Mute the music and environment sounds separately in the Options

I know you can reduce the volume and mute it for the environment sounds completely, but that's not what I would want to do.
I like listening to the background sounds, I just don't like a repetitive sound that comes every few seconds, like the owl's hoot in this game.

shadowfax44
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
21,885 Posts

[Post New]by shadowfax44 on Aug 16, 12 8:17 AM
Excellent summation MoonLadyDi! To append what you have said for hardcore players. If you play on the hardest mode available, there are no sparkles. None. Yay devs!! Not even for the HOS... Double Yay devs!!

Hello Sheerija! I am not ashamed to admit that I cannot keep up with the growing list of acronyms. Okay, I can be acronym challenged! So, having said that:
I never bemoan the lack of v/os, though that will be another thing that CEs should have.
Huh? What does this stand for please.

vonniefaye
Herring
Herring
325 Posts

[Post New]by vonniefaye on Aug 16, 12 8:42 AM
never bemoan the lack of v/os, though that will be another thing that CEs should have.

Could v/os mean 'voice overs'?
Just asking.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 16, 12 9:14 AM
Yes, Vonniefaye. Sorry, I thought that was an accepted abbreviation.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 16, 12 9:16 AM
shadowfax44 wrote:Excellent summation MoonLadyDi! To append what you have said for hardcore players. If you play on the hardest mode available, there are no sparkles. None. Yay devs!! Not even for the HOS... Double Yay devs!!

Hello Sheerija! I am not ashamed to admit that I cannot keep up with the growing list of acronyms. Okay, I can be acronym challenged! So, having said that:
I never bemoan the lack of v/os, though that will be another thing that CEs should have.

Voice-overs. I've seen it from others so I thought it was commonly used. Maybe not though. Vonniefaye didn't know either. Am I wrong?

cathyok
Minnow
Minnow
208 Posts

[Post New]by cathyok on Aug 16, 12 11:08 AM
I really like this game and the story is good and the artwork excellent. I really love the different abilities we are going to get to use as we progress through the game. The one thing that kinda annoyed me was when you are picking up objects you need. There were times when a object would be up high or far out and you could pick it up no problem. Then you would go to pick up something else later on that was not as high up or as far away and you would be told no you need to find something to help you. Oh well, it's probably just me and the mood I am in today.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 16, 12 1:26 PM
This seems like another one of the good SE games that has had a walkthrough added and called a strategy guide. There is not much else to qualify this as a CE.
As an SE its a buy, but as a CE, I'll pass

Penny1942
Clownfish
Clownfish
554 Posts

[Post New]by Penny1942 on Aug 16, 12 4:57 PM
Awesome game from a developer I didn't recognize. They did a great job. But...."My kingdom for a clickable map"...My sketchers are now worn out.

moonladydi
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,113 Posts

[Post New]by moonladydi on Aug 16, 12 5:12 PM
Thank you Shadowfax

Having now completed the game and the Bonus, I can safely say the ending can stand alone as a reasonable finish if you prefer to wait for the SE. The Hint system is excellant, so the SG can be ignored. The Bonus adds another element to the game. It is quite long, and a lot of fun.

Go to: