bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 17, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 17, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 17, 12 12:37 AM
Hi Fishies,

I was just swimming by and wanted link to the reviews for the CE version of this game in case that may help.

Reviews for Echoes of the Past: The Revenge of the Witch Collector's Edition

Also, to see more reviews, you can also visit the game page here!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 17, 12 12:41 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice between custom and system cursor.

There is a widescreen button in the "Options", but it doesn't work on my widescreen laptop.

There is voice-over.

The Inventory is at the top. There is a little lock at the left of it. When it's open, the Inventory disappears into the top, but when the lock is closed, the Inventory stays visible.

The Diary is at the top left.

The HINT button is at the top right.

There is no Map.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) have nice graphics, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT button takes only about 15 seconds in Easy mode to refill.

There is also another type of HOS, which has you replace objects that are missing from the scene.

There are quite a few puzzles. I am not too keen on most of the puzzles, and from what I saw in the SG when playing the CE demo, there is a repetition of the same puzzles.

The SKIP button takes about 1 1/2 minutes to fill in Easy mode.

--- --- ---

I wasn't thrown off my chair with excitement when I demoed the CE, and didn't care for all those puzzles, so I waited for the SE and got it today with a PCC.

SeaBamboo
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,158 Posts

[Post New]by SeaBamboo on Aug 17, 12 2:20 AM
This is not one of the best games around & the story telling leaves a lot to be desired; the soundtrack is very repetitive & I know I have heard it in another game.

The graphics are pretty average & the artwork quite medieval in style although rather ‘green’ in colouring. There are 3 modes of play; regular with a 15 second hint recharge, glints on every item of interest & sparkles to mark the HOs, advanced with no glints or sparkles & a 15 second hint or expert which has no hint or skip button.

You get a journal that contains some clues & a staff for which you have to find 10 jewels through the game. The hint is useful; if you get stuck & click on it you will be shown a picture of where to go & a sparkle to show what object to investigate.

Puzzles & finding items to open cupboards, chests & doors abound; in fact you will spend most of your time searching for something to use. In addition you will find that you have to search the same H0 scene more than once which is rather tedious, these are either the usual word list or a variation, put the objects back into the scene. Even though there are a lot of puzzles many of them recur & unfortunately by the time I had played the hour long bonus I was rather tired of the whole thing so I will not buy.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 17, 12 11:13 AM
** I finished the CE version. The plot is NOT 100% tied up in this SE version and told you what you would be doing in the bonus so I can’t even recommend the SE version either! See end to see other CE vs SE differences etc**

If you are not a puzzle lover I don’t recommend this game to you at all. I am and even I found some areas between puzzles boring.

I really enjoyed all the other games in this series but thought the last game would be the last in the series as it was really pushing the plot of the same witch which you defeat in every game and keeps coming back. This is the weakest of the series by far. Instead of calling this game something else, as it doesn’t have the same feel, look to it as the other games, they have ended up watering down the series instead of finishing strong.

This game is the perfect example of formulaic plot, sometimes you can get away with it if everything else is strong or excellent or at least different. Frankly the story, plot etc was really bad IMO. The only thing very good about the game was the puzzles, the graphics were washed out and seemed worse than the other games, adventure side boring at times. Both puzzles and hidden object scenes were repeated.

PUZZLES (spoilers as to kind, numbers in this review are roughly!)

There is a variety of type – arcade, logic but nothing timed. I found them all to be easy-medium apart from the arcade/non logic type. I loved the amount, variety of them as I’m a puzzle lover! (for a HOPA though, I think some are hard - hence the 4 out of 5 hardness.)

The first puzzle you encounter the light up the lines one, if you don’t like it then you will be frustrated as that puzzle is repeated 10 times, (different patterns)

22 different puzzles in SE

Repeating puzzles and number of times you play them in total

– light the lines puzzle 10
– aquarium puzzle 2,
-domino 2,
- peg solitaire 3,
- click on pattern tiles to rotate them 2 plus another variation of it

TBC

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 17, 12 11:14 AM
continued

HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES

What was good was that there were three different kinds of HOS

4 different traditional scenes – all of them you had to play 3 times.
2 different reverse scenes (put item back)– both of them you had to play 3 times
5 find the same items – one was repeated

Mostly static scenes (not much movement), some tiny and hard to see objects, defined enough but not sharp. Mildly interactive.

There were 3 levels of hardness and you couldn’t switch mid game. The hardest had no sparkles, no info on puzzles, no skips or no hints including HOS. But they did have black bar tips and with reversed hidden object scene told you the objective.

I didn’t feel the puzzles, HOS and adventure were well spaced out. It was a good length SE and probably super long if you are slower with puzzles.

It's so frustrating this game as I love the puzzles. I just wish the HOS weren't repeated (which I hate) as well as the puzzles, and started a new series with a different better plot. I do think it's an objective 3/5 stars.

CE differences –
I bought the CE as it promised unlocking of puzzles and “game designer – create your own game levels and play them” But it was a very limited ‘design’ of one puzzle that was in the game, so misleading, and there was only unlocking of 8 puzzles. You don’t get any of that here. The bonus was a good length but there was a lot of repeating of one puzzle. Even though it told you what you would be doing in the bonus there was not really any plot IMO in the bonus.

Edited on 08/17/2012 at 11:18:54 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 18, 12 6:00 AM
Did anyone noticed that its one for one sale for collector's edition?

So if u can spare that $, go get THIS!

LOVE it!

Rating: 4/5

bratzgram
Clownfish
Clownfish
634 Posts

[Post New]by bratzgram on Aug 19, 12 11:35 AM
I had this on my list to buy as a CE and was very suprised to see it offered so quickly as a SE! Especially since it was still in the top10 sellers!! I snapped it up immediately!

I love the mini games. They are very different and trying. You don't just pop throuigh these. There isn't an overabundance of HOS and those are well done.

The hint gives you a picture of where you need to go so there really is no reason for the SG. I don't use all the extras offered in a CE. Only buy them for the extra play and most of the time don't think thats worth double the price.

This moves along very quickly and is plenty long. I have NO regrets for this buy!

Absolutely recommend it!!!!

[Post New]by fairygodmother55 on Aug 25, 12 7:15 AM
No interactive map, so be sure to bring a few pairs of sneakers on this one! The hint button is a good HELPFUL hint without telling you exactly WHAT to do. I have played the other two series games, and have to say this one by far is not up to speed with the other two. I LOVE puzzles, but thought most of these were ok. There was only one so far ( I am in the last chapter) that I needed a little assistance with... but the rest were pretty easy, if not repetative. Hidden objects, of which I am not a fan, were not difficult and I do appreciate the interactive elements.

I used a freebie coupon on this one, and it was well worth it.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
171 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Aug 25, 12 1:13 PM
too much running back and forth, I don't think I have ever used the hint button so many times just to make sure I was heading for the right location !
Lots of puzzles really enjoyed the logic problems (the jars especially)
HOS repetitive, hence a little boring, storyline week, music real elevator stuff I turned off sound, however an entertaining game, I do recommend it , but glad I bought the SE ( I rarely by CEs anyway unless on special)
I have about one more chapter to go but have to give the eyeballs a rest !! also my feet are tired !!!

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Aug 27, 12 7:03 PM
I wasn't going to purchase this game because I read the Tips in the Forum before purchasing but I decided since I had the other 2 I may as well purchase this one. I wasn't disappointed and I loved this game the best out of the 3 Echoes. There was running back and forth but it's not the only game to do that. A map would of helped of course. HOS scenes were clear, easy to search for the item, and I loved the monsters the witch threw in your way to stall you. I skipped a puzzle or 2 but will pick them back up when I play the game again.
I highly recommend this game!

zorro2a
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by zorro2a on Aug 31, 12 4:21 PM
I thought this game was really good with the exception of the mini-game where you had to open a box, or in fact any of the mini-games in all of them l was only able to do 1, the rest l just waited till l could skip it.

But the story line, the music, the adventure was excellent, l would recommend this game but the mini-games were to hard.

I give this game 7 out of 10

emmyjayne
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,375 Posts

[Post New]by emmyjayne on Sep 3, 12 4:42 PM
Finished the game... Based on early reviews I didn't expect much and waited for the SE. The game was very, very good and I'm glad I bought it. It got much better as things progressed. My one BIG complaint is that this dev keeps putting in useless journals that sparkle in my peripheral vision until I'm forced to open/close it to make it stop. THAT DRIVES ME NUTS! PLEASE DEVS - Sparkle it once when something is added (even though it told me nothing I didn't already know or could figure out) and then STOP. In spite of the annoying journal, I still recommend this game.

ETA: (Don't like the sparkling Hint button either)

Edited on 09/03/2012 at 6:43:23 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 4, 12 11:37 AM
gingergal wrote:continued

CE differences –
I bought the CE as it promised unlocking of puzzles and “game designer – create your own game levels and play them” But it was a very limited ‘design’ of one puzzle that was in the game, so misleading, and there was only unlocking of 8 puzzles. You don’t get any of that here. The bonus was a good length but there was a lot of repeating of one puzzle. Even though it told you what you would be doing in the bonus there was not really any plot IMO in the bonus.

I truly hate it when I get repetitive puzzles. It shows laziness on the part of the developers, which is really showing (the laziness, I mean) in this game.
I am not a big puzzle fan, not unless they are more like mini games, where you have to move or click a set of things to get things going-kind of puzzles, and am not an actual fan of puzzles (if I wanted puzzles galore, I would buy the "Professor Layton" games for the NDS).
And this one repetitive puzzle in this game really spoilt it for me. I don't have the patience to muddle through puzzles. Either I can do them right away or I can't be bothered.

But... I did like this game far more than I thought I would when I played the demo. I really enjoyed the game (just not the puzzles for the magic powder).

What I really found disappointing was the ending (I didn't buy the CE, simply because I knew there were these repetitive puzzles, and knew that by the end of the main game, I wouldn't want to continue with the bonus game).

Anyway, the ending was sudden, and it was as if they had ran out of space and needed to finish it before they actually finished it, if you know what I mean.

But I did enjoy the game as a whole.

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Sep 4, 12 8:37 PM
valdy, yes the ending is sudden, unresolved. I'm trying to remember to lead with that information about endings rather than burying that info in my reviews as I used to. So hope those who read my review at least knew what type of ending it was - plot is not all tied up here in this SE version. But you are right it was a bit abrupt as well which I didn't say, it was purely because of the ending and how it was done, and unresolved that I couldn't recommend the SE version.

I don't like anything repeating as I agree with you it's a bit lazy but I'm glad you enjoyed it even though there are a lot of puzzles and I know you don't like too many puzzles. I would prefer it if every game didn't repeat any puzzle or any HOS!

Edited on 09/04/2012 at 8:44:04 PM PST

bachlein
Guppy
Guppy
151 Posts

[Post New]by bachlein on Sep 6, 12 12:52 PM
I had my doubts about this game...but decided to try it anyway. I played it on "expert" which means there are NO hints or puzzle directions. (Believe me, I am No expert!!) But it was lots of fun and a real challenge to figure out what to do in the puzzles. Some don't like that there are puzzles that are similar...but it seemed to me that with each new one, each was just a little harder than the one previous. I had played several other of the "Echo" games and liked them, too. Maybe now, I'll go back and play them on expert, too. Just for a little change of pace. Good game, good puzzles, good HOGs, so-so story line, but I pay hardly any attention to the story line, anyway. Buy it, it will take a day or two to play--at least it did me.

bessiegirl
Clownfish
Clownfish
738 Posts

[Post New]by bessiegirl on Sep 8, 12 7:24 AM
Wow...well this was a long one and is obviously a set-up for another sequal. Enjoyed the game very much as I have the others and await the sequal. No doubt you have to be on your toes...lots of moving around and collecting items which will be used somewhere along the line. You need to be sharp and have a good memory because the game is long and you move around so much you can easily lose track. I never looked at the journal, but the HINT key, which recharges quickly, is your key to what you need to do if you get stumped. I used the peewadin out of it.

HOS are interesting and fun...each one is a different challenge. Mini games are OK, but get tiresome and harder as the game goes on. Got really tired of the light game that opens the boxes...really tired... SKIP button recharges fairly quickly and you can skip over the games if you get tired of them as I did without penalty.

Found the graphics to be clear and unique. There are sparkes in the casual game for those sparkle haters, however they were subtle and didn't bother me. I am sure you will enjoy this game especially if you have been following ther series. Certainly get your money's worth. I give it a 4.5 only because the mini games are so tiresome.

exact
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
434 Posts

[Post New]by exact on Sep 9, 12 8:30 PM
I think this is one of the best games BFG has given us. Be prepared to concentrate and memorize. The Hint button is excellent but the game is wonderful but hard! Have fun,it is long and minigames are all new from same old!

bunny3620
Lobster
Lobster
83 Posts

[Post New]by bunny3620 on Oct 6, 12 2:48 PM
Personally I loved this game. you do have to run around somewhat but I let my mouse do that. I have a short memory so the help button was used quite a bit. The one thing I didn't like about it is the fact that some of the puzzles were repeated. I hoped to come across a new one so when I didn't that was disappointing. But all in all, I really was happy with the game.

Go to: