Plants vs Zombies opening error

[Post New]by zombiemaddness on Aug 17, 12 8:48 AM
While playing p vs z , my pc decided to restart on its own to install a windows update. Since then I have been unable to play, gives me error: Error reading user file, then says file too short. I have uninstalled bfg game manager and the game it's self, removed the registry keys and re-installed everything, yet I'm still getting the same message after the fresh install. this is on a win7 pc. How can I fix this?

lyrialice
Elephantfish
Elephantfish
55,156 Posts

Re:Plants vs Zombies opening error

[Post New]by lyrialice on Aug 17, 12 11:11 AM
Hi zombiemadness

Click on the green envelope under your username and go to the Technical Issues box. Click on the more button and go to page 3 and look for the title File Too Short Error - Plants vs. Zombies and follow the instructions there.

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Aug 17, 12 11:31 AM
Hi zombiemaddness,

It looks like lyrialice was able to provide some helpful information already. I wanted to swim by and get you a link to that help article that covers how to correct the file too short error here:

File Too Short Error - Plants vs. Zombies

If you run into any problems with that, please let our Tech Support team know and they'll be happy to help.

Since this error is occurring with Plants vs. Zombies, I'll be moving this thread over to that game specific Forum.

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

[Post New]by mariel9898 on Sep 22, 12 8:44 AM
I have the same exact problem! I'm going to try the solutions posted and see what happens.

[Post New]by mariel9898 on Sep 22, 12 8:53 AM
So I read over what to do, but like I thought, I will lose previous game. Please let me know if there is any way to get that back. Probably not.

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 8:54:06 AM PST

[Post New]by mariel9898 on Sep 22, 12 9:04 AM
Just like I thought, I did lose my previous game. However I did keep copies of all of the files in the userdata folder. If anyone knows how to get my original game back I would appreciate it if you post how.

bfgSeine
Stingray
Stingray
5,158 Posts

[Post New]by bfgSeine on Sep 22, 12 10:33 AM
Hi mariel9898,

Because the error happens in the save file itself, it may not be possible to get the old saved game back. However, you can contact our Tech Support Team and let them know what happened and they'll be happy to look into that for you. Hopefully they can find a way to get that working for you.

Happy gaming,

bfgSeine

[Post New]by KathimacUNIVERA on Sep 28, 12 11:15 AM
This game has crashed about 5 times on me. I've been able to reinstall each time - big bummer bc have to start over. This time I didn't play the tree and some other stuff, thinking that is why it crashed. My messages say unable to read file. Can someone please tell me how to STOP this from happening??? I love the game but this is a pain in the you know what. Now I can't even reinstall. I have Vista 7, use IE (or Chrome) and a fast computer with lots of memory available. Thanks

bfgCimarron
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,902 Posts

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 28, 12 12:39 PM
Hi KathimacUNIVER,

I'm sorry this game is giving you this trouble. In this case I would definitely get in contact with our Customer Support Team. One of our reps will have the tools and resources to take a closer look into this for you to try and resolve this in anyway they can. For more information on how to get in contact with them, just check out this help article here:

How to get in contact with Customer Support

In the meantime, since you're getting a file error with this game- I would check out this help article below. It goes over what can cause this and some troubleshooting steps to try and clear that up:

File Too Short Error - Plants vs. Zombies

I hope this helps!

bfgCimarron

[Post New]by DalBee on Jun 3, 14 6:26 PM
Thank you very helpful!!

[Post New]by bigbadbaker on Jul 5, 14 8:54 AM
I also have the "file too short" error message. I can't find the green envelope under my username. Where is it?
Thanks.

[Post New]by jerzjo18 on Nov 18, 14 4:30 PM
i have been playing this game for 3 months now...btw never completing it through..i somehow always get that opening error "file too short" always restarting the game today will be 23rd time.is there any foolproof way of not getting this error in future?? is there anyone here that has not got this error??? HELP

Go to: