bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 19, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Aug 19, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 19, 12 1:18 AM
Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is a widescreen option (which didn't work for my laptop).

At the bottom are 2 tabs: Inventory and Goals

There is no diary.

There is a MAP at the left. It only shows you where you are. You don't see where there is an action to perform, nor can you use it to jump.

The HOS (hidden object scenes), over which you stumble frequently, are not interactive. Also, the graphics, which look very nicely done in the main scenes, could have been better in them.

The HINT button is at the right, and takes about 55 seconds to refill in Normal mode.

When using the HINT button outside of the HOS, you will get a whole list of what you need to do (a mini walkthrough).

Puzzles can be skipped. If you want to skip a puzzle, you click on the HINT button after it has filled up (55 seconds in Normal mode). You will then be able to skip the puzzle.

--- --- ---

The game plays a little clumsily, I find. Sometimes it takes a couple of seconds go get from one scene to the next, and when you are in the Option section, you don't stay there after you have clicked on something. Also, it took me a while to get to the Main Menu.

Not too happy with the font used for this game. Why do some developers feel the need to add a font that is not a straight forward one, and harder to read. *sigh*

All in all, I like this game, and will buy it.

Happy Sunday, everyone.

TimeKilla
Herring
Herring
399 Posts

[Post New]by TimeKilla on Aug 19, 12 1:29 AM
Geez, this game feels so much like a first effort that I don't want to be too critical. Let's start with the good. (From the demo only.)

The story is familiar - You play as a husband whose wife has fallen under a curse, you must figure out what has happened and save her - but it's engaging. Professional voice acting makes the hero very empathetic and adds depth to the people he encounters on his journey.

Although this style of art is not my favorite, the devs did a great job with it. The music was pleasant, added to the game without becoming annoying.

Game play is fairly linear. You meet someone, perform a task (usually finding several things) and in return they help you. Some things are hidden in the environment, some need a few steps, like find a tool in an H0 scene and use that or play a mini-game to get a piece.

Mini games are mostly interesting and usually include a neat twist. In the demo there is a shooting gallery game, mixing a potion in the right order, a jigsaw in which you manipulated the pieces with levers and two others which were animated so scene was in motion as you put it together. There was also a concentration game. Puzzles, dialog and H0 scenes are pretty well paced.

The hint system is very well designed. During H0's, it showed you a close-up of the area around the item, so there was still the fun of finding it. During game play, it brings up an illustrated walkthrough of your objective with a list of steps. It's very nice to have an in-game strategy guide for an SE.

And the not so good - This game drags and feels very slooooooow. Dialog can either be skipped entirely or you need to sit through every word. Because the story is interesting, I listened but would rather have the option of clicking through. The map doesn't let you jump, so there is some backtracking. there were a few too many H0 scenes for my taste.

Every single item, finished H0 scene or completed puzzle has a pop-up screen which fades slowly and can't be clicked away The shooting gallery game took several tries and became frustrating. The potion mixing is trial and error but there is a pop-up screen after every attempt. It all felt as if the devs were trying to pack on time.

All and all, it wasn't bad and I would like to know what happens but I think I'll wait to buy. I do recommend that you try it for yourself. People who enjoy more relaxed experience will find much to like in this game.

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 1:33:09 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 19, 12 2:00 AM
There are several things to find fault with in this game, as Valdy and TimeKilla have pointed out.
-familiar story
-game play is a bit awkward
-HOS are not as clear as they should be
-widescreen option that DOES NOT WORK
and I'll add that the dialogue does not stay in synch with the spoken words.

But there are positives, as well.
-nice mini-games
-helpful hint system
-interesting story

So it comes down to the most basic question of all----is the game fun to play? And the answer is, yes, it is. So it's a buy for me!

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 19, 12 3:15 AM
Played 30 minutes casual

- 2 modes, casual and hard
- Objectives show at the bottom of the screen
- Inventory as well
- Map
- Voice overs
- Clear H0 (a lot of them). You don't interact
- Mini games : if you want to skip you have to click on the hint button
- Outside H0 the hint turns into a mini SG, giving your instructions
- Good graphics
- Interesting story if nothing too new

All in all a nice little game, will spend a punch card credit on it. Nothing over thrilling but it can be quite enjoyable.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Aug 19, 12 6:05 AM
I am enjoying the game with great voice overs and pretty graphics .
I do miss the interactivity with hidden object screens
still has interesting storyline.

tonic12
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
13 Posts

[Post New]by tonic12 on Aug 19, 12 6:26 AM
Liked it, fast pace, interesting puzzles, junk HOS but not as bad as some.

CoolGrammy1
Minnow
Minnow
257 Posts

[Post New]by CoolGrammy1 on Aug 19, 12 7:26 AM
Well I could like this game but the graphics are rather dark and some HO items are tough to find. I like the hint system. The puzzles are interesting. The game is slooooowwww. I might spend a coupon or buy it as a two for one sale but I am really not so excited that I must have it.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Aug 19, 12 8:23 AM
From playing the demo, I decided to buy the game. I like the music and the slow pace that may drive other players nuts. This will be a very relaxing and enjoyable way to spend my Sunday.

By deselecting the widescreen correction option, the game fills my widescreen.

It is nice really nice to see some HO games with good storylines and graphics that are not all CEs. In the last month we have had some great SE game options. I like that!

Since the forums are new to me, I would like to thank everyone for their reviews. I have always read the reviews on the game page and based my decision to download on the number of stars. I am finding much more accurate reviews on the forums page and find them really, really helpful. Thanks everyone.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
131 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Aug 19, 12 8:24 AM
This game has several unique features that I found useful. When you hit the hint button within a HO scene it provides an image of the general location of the item instead of pointing directly to the item. When you hit the hint button outside of a HO scene it give you information and images of your next few moves, very similar to a Strategy Guide.

There is a map showing all locations with arrows pointing to how to access that area.

I have played only about half of the demo and I already know I will be buying this game. There are several negative aspects that have already been mentioned in earlier posts so I won't repeat them. I will just say that all in all I enjoyed the game so far and look forward to finishing it later.

Thank you BF and Developer. A very nice offering.

ELadyG1013
Guppy
Guppy
133 Posts

[Post New]by ELadyG1013 on Aug 19, 12 9:36 AM
After playing the Demo I'm not going to purchase this game. The hidden object scenes are just way too dark for my taste. using the hint button is really not much help. I don't mind games with some dark scenes like night-time, but please don't give me an entire game that's DARK !!

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 19, 12 10:49 AM
MY OPINION This game is very different from the other games we've (I've) played. Yes the game is slow, but not as slow as some games I've encountered. Would of been better if the dev crossed out tasks when accomplished.
I've seen darker HO's then this, and I didn't buy because of that, but this game is not so dark, I'm buying.
Were all asking for a different kind of game play, well I think this is different, improvements can be made, but It's not a bad little game.
HAPPY GAME PLAYING FISHIES

seajay123
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by seajay123 on Aug 19, 12 11:02 AM
I am not thrilled with this game. Like others have said it feels like a first time effort. The screen modes also didn't work with my computer. The hogs, I can hardly see some of the Hog objects. I also am not a fan of this kind of art work. I was hoping for a new HOG today that i liked so I could do the 2 fror 1 but that is out the door.I can say i liked the hint system though. I would not even think of buying this one. I don't think I played 15 min.

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 11:04:49 AM PST

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Aug 19, 12 11:12 AM
This game is a cute but twisted fairy tale story, the graphics are excellent the story is one that we are familiar with.

The hidden objects are OK, I like this game and for a SE is worth the price.

Nana6177
Minnow
Minnow
231 Posts

[Post New]by Nana6177 on Aug 19, 12 12:14 PM

Liking game, does bug me that I can't speed up or click through a sentence, I don't want to miss the whole conversation.

Love it has VO, and hinit is more of strategy guide...great deal for SE!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 19, 12 12:20 PM
Another great game by these devs. I like this game so much better than the CE from last week. It seems we are getting much better SE's lately. I personally had no difficulty in finding the hidden object items. The graphics to me were superb. Really loving this game. Thanks BF.

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Aug 19, 12 3:42 PM
I think I'll relegate this game to a DD wait for. Starts out fairly well but soon goes down hill. I find I do not like going back to the old UPS games. (Get this for me, deliver this to so and so etc) I thought these type of games went out with bell bottoms.
Try it for yourself, you may like it.

tempeasu
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by tempeasu on Aug 19, 12 7:37 PM
I WOULD NOT TRY OR EVER BUY A GAME WITHOUT YOUR REVIEW. SO.....I WILL GIVE THIS A LOOK. I DID HOWEVER, BUY SEVERAL CD'S. MORE THAN I CAN AFFORD. MOST HAVE BORED ME TO DEATH. I KNOW THIS IS NOT ONE, SO HERE I GO.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Aug 19, 12 7:42 PM
Review after playing demo:

I kind of like the game. The H0 scenes are all right...the graphics too. I don't like not being able to click through the dialog and having to click the "X" to close the boxes...I do like just clicking "outside the box" and having them disappear. The game plays a bit slowly - gamewise and storywise. I don't care for the appearance of the characters. I don't know about voices or music as I don't use the speakers. Puzzles were OK. No technical problems encountered thus far.

I will put the game on my "future possibility" list but won't buy it now.

Go to: