DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

Comments for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 19, 12 2:07 AM
Hi There,
I suspect that most of us haven't heard of this game (except from a game guru who mentioned its name in another forum) and unless you have superfast internet services might not yet be able to play this game.
The developers also made the Epic Adventures games - La Jangada and Cursed Onboard.
I also note that the harder mode supposedly has no sparkles.
Any other enlightening info for those of us who haven't been able to play yet?
Cheers
Edited: Hit and run post from me for a while at least as I am off to make the gravy for my roast meal.

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 11:49:53 AM PST

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

Re:Comments for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 19, 12 2:43 AM
Hi, DLO. Got 2 threads again, I see. Eeny meeny miny mo.
Geez, how slow can you go? I know snails faster than this game. It has lovely graphics and the navigation is fast, but it's really annoying to play. I'm so fed-up with the Objective Updated process I'm skipping all the conversations as fast as possible.

Lots of HOS, not interactive, but quite clear and uncluttered. Good thing too, for it those were a pain I wouldn't want this game. Too frustrating. It has an SG within the hint button which is of great help, but the map is useless - just a list of locations which doesn't help in any way.

It's kind of cute in it's own way, but huge amounts of patience needed while it laboriously does it's thing in slow motion.

Have to gaze out into my garden until it's readied itself to continue.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 19, 12 2:56 AM
Hi Sheerija,
I had "heard" that this was more of a sojourn than a fast walk, so thanks for the extra info about graphics etc.
Any news about the difference between the two modes of play as I wipe the gravy from my chinny chin chin?
@Bella if you pop in here > vegetarians beware> I didn't have pork belly, but my roast and crackling were fabulous..
Cheers

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 19, 12 3:38 AM
Rule number one never and I mean never open the door to a stranger no matter how cute the little old lady is and especially on your anniversary what was this couple thinking here they are on their anniversary with a nice yummy cake to eat and lo and behold here comes a cute little granny lady knocking on the door and what do they do let her in big no, no these two didn't pay attention to mommy and daddy when they said never open the door or talk to strangers. Now wifey poo has been put under a spell and granny has slipped away unnoticed. This is a cool little game with lots of magic and mystery. The graphics are good but things can be a little hard to find the background is a little dark and although most of the items are rather big they can be hard to find. The game is a little clumsy in parts but nothing so bad that you start pulling your hair out. There are voice overs and the story is really nice although I did notice even when the dialogue is over the characters mouth is still moving but no biggy. This is a new developer to me and if this is their first game then I think they did a good job. It's fun and cute with some magic and mystery thrown in there and that always makes for a fun game. I quite enjoyed the demo so I bought the game so I can chase down granny and wake up wifey poo. All in all this is a nice game with nice graphics and a nice story the hint button is simply awesome and the mini games and puzzles so far have been fun. I like the game and I like the story and I think this will be a great game to play on this dreary and stormy day that only adds to the game for me. Great little game give it a try it's worth that. Thank you dev's and I hope to see more from you and thank you Big Fish for another magical mystery. Have fun everybody.

sassylassie
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,107 Posts

[Post New]by sassylassie on Aug 19, 12 4:00 AM
Good morning all,

@gmac. The couple had a big heart and so they decided to let 'poor little defenseless granny' in. I loved their first one and this one is just as good. The voice acting is done superbly, the navigation is smooth, and the length seems like it's going to be great. I love the mini hint walkthrough they put in, very helpful. Like a check list, o.k., did I do that yep or nope. The map to me is helpful as to let you know what direction you should head in. The H0G scenes are crystal. Good game for a Sunday and truly enjoying it.

Sassy

angelfish106
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,378 Posts

Comments for Tales of Sorrow: Strawsbrough Town

[Post New]by angelfish106 on Aug 19, 12 4:04 AM
DragonLadyOz wrote:
I also note that the harder mode supposedly has no sparkles.
Any other enlightening info for those of us who haven't been able to play yet?

The HOS have sparkles in hard mode but otherwise none anywhere else that I saw in the demo I found the HOS very dark and quite hard to see. And you get a really annoying big green cross when you click on a wrong item; very outdated. Nice voice-overs and hint outside the HOS gives a mini-walkthrough. Definitely worth a PCC

scpotamus
Herring
Herring
309 Posts

[Post New]by scpotamus on Aug 19, 12 4:46 AM
In the beginning when picking level of difficulty, I noticed it said Achievement items are harder to spot...what does that mean? I have been looking for morphing items or just stuff that looks different and clicking on them but so far nothing...anybody know what achievement items are??

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Aug 19, 12 5:18 AM
Game doesn't fill my screen, no biggie but I really don't like that. Also, the hos are too dark for me. I had to use so many hints, I just don't think it's a buy. Looks to be a cute game, if you can see it, I can't.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
760 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Aug 19, 12 6:08 AM
I couldn't finish the demo because this game drives me nuts. The HO scenes are hard and the hint button sucks.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 19, 12 6:20 AM
hannah57 wrote:I couldn't finish the demo because this game drives me nuts. The HO scenes are hard and the hint button sucks.

I hear you hannah and I bought the game needless to say I got fed up with it and dumped it. It started out with promise but the more I played the worse it got and I do mean worse. You simply cannot find anything in the search scenes I was leaning into my screen just so I could see because the background was so dark it makes it impossible to see anything and then to make matters worse there was this puzzle where you have to click to get the picture to move into place absolutely the most nerve racking puzzle I have ever done. I made it as far as the Blacksmiths hut and I said enough is enough the game is clunky and clumsy and a huge let down. Maybe this is just me but the guy that is trying to help his wife his accent seemed to keep changing a lot I don't know it may have been just me but honestly he sounded different nearly every single time he spoke. Sorry I wasted a credit on this one. So I agree with you all the way the game drove me nuts !

Edited on 08/19/2012 at 6:23:29 AM PST

mhatfie
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,447 Posts

[Post New]by mhatfie on Aug 19, 12 8:59 AM
I think this game had alot of promise, but somewhere it went seriously awry and ended being more frustrating than fun. Interactive Hos scenes with objects you can see and more fun and less frustrating puzzles would have made this game worth buying. Back to the drawing board devs.

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Aug 19, 12 9:39 AM
mhatfie wrote:I think this game had alot of promise, but somewhere it went seriously awry and ended being more frustrating than fun. Interactive Hos scenes with objects you can see and more fun and less frustrating puzzles would have made this game worth buying. Back to the drawing board devs.
Hi mhatfie I totally agree with you and I bought the game and your right it started out with promise but seriously went awry and in a big way. This one definitely needs to go back to the drawing board for sure and get revamped in a big way.

jazzl2010
Squid
Squid
60 Posts

[Post New]by jazzl2010 on Aug 19, 12 10:03 AM
Game was ruined by the hint system...it was like a built in strategy guide..I didn't want step by step instructions..I guess the harder mode may have been different..but was bored by this game...it could have been good with a little more imagination by the devs...

seajay123
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by seajay123 on Aug 19, 12 11:13 AM
hannah57 wrote:I couldn't finish the demo because this game drives me nuts. The HO scenes are hard and the hint button sucks.

Even though I like the hint button I completely agree with you. It drove me crazy too. I had to exit before I lost it.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Aug 19, 12 1:18 PM
scpotamus wrote:In the beginning when picking level of difficulty, I noticed it said Achievement items are harder to spot...what does that mean? I have been looking for morphing items or just stuff that looks different and clicking on them but so far nothing...anybody know what achievement items are??

No-one commented on your post which surprises me. I too would like to know about these so called achievements. Anyone?

misty2201
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by misty2201 on Aug 19, 12 1:40 PM
I agree that the hint button was a disappointment. I found the game much too easy....even the games were ridiculously simple. The game went too fast & wasn't challenging enough.

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 19, 12 5:34 PM
Could not get very far into the demo. Too many things that annoyed me. One is when you do something in a close-up scene (such as the gnome in this game). The closeup stays there and you click all around thinking there is something else you should be doing/getting. Then you click outside the closeup and if you try to open it again it won't, meaning it should have closed itself in the first place once you were done with it. Most games do that. Another annoyance is that the inventory would show, for example, four of an item that yhou need, even though you only have one. It gives the illusion you already have all that you need. I clicked on something and found three items in an inventory slot; I didn't realize at first that I needed three of the item and only had one, since it showed three items, along with saying :1/3. They should only show one of the item and say 1/3; it would be much less confusing.

I wanted to slap the mayor for expecting me to go find a book for him while he stuffed his face.

And does Disney know that the devs copied one of their dwarves? That's no gnome; it looks like Happy.

DragonLadyOz
Shark
Shark
12,214 Posts

[Post New]by DragonLadyOz on Aug 20, 12 12:24 AM
Hi there,
I have almost finished this game, but thought I would pop in with a few impressions.
For me the graphics weren't dark at all - but maybe that is because I have my laptop set at the highest lightness setting because of all of the "darker" games I play. Some of the items were rather cleverly hidden and did take some work to find.
As crowtrobot mentioned (clipped) "the inventory would show, for example, four of an item that you need, even though you only have one. It gives the illusion you already have all that you need. I clicked on something and found three items in an inventory slot; I didn't realize at first that I needed three of the item and only had one, since it showed three items, along with saying 1/3. They should only show one of the item and say 1/3; it would be much less confusing. "
This was a different way of going about collecting multiple items for a task, but I found it OK myself - at least I knew what else I had to find (even if it was before I knew that I had to find them!!).
And I rather liked the way the Hint button worked in the HOS - showing where the item was to be found, rather than the actual item. A couple of other games used this method and it was a bit more of a challenge.
I did check the Hint system in the game itself as I noticed that a couple of people had been dissatisfied with it. And yes, I can see their point - too much information if you only want a pointer for the right direction, but doesn't a SG have the same list of tasks etc?
I would have liked a "next" button rather than "skip" during the voice-overs as I, like many others, tend to read faster than the speech - especially if it is "dramatic".
LOL about the gnome - yes it did look familiar!!
As I said earlier, this is a sojourn rather than a lengthy journey with stumbling blocks, and whilst it hasn't been the most exciting game I have played - I have purchased worse!!
Well, I have found the records I need, so time to get rid of the curse.
Cheers

Hapless
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
427 Posts

[Post New]by Hapless on Aug 20, 12 2:10 PM
Just finished the game and like sassylassie I really enjoyed it. Its so nice to get a charming magical little game like this especially on a Sunday.

Please sassylassie can you tell me the first game they made?

I hope we get another one soon.

Linda

uschina
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by uschina on Aug 21, 12 7:17 AM
Would have loved to find out how to wake that sleeping beauty, but after running
from one HO into the other I just got sick and tired of it.
Seems to me they never will stop with this childish HO lists which just don't fit in an adventure game.
How on earth can any adult sit in front of a picture and click for simple items that are written down like a shopping list???
2 HO's in an adventure/puzzle game are already 1 two many.
Please developers make straight HO games for those who like to do the same thing over and over again and for people who hate it - pure adventure/puzzle. If that day comes I will buy one game after another.

Go to: