bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 23, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Awakening: The Skyward Castle Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 23, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 23, 12 12:53 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

The game comes in widescreen.

The SG (strategy guide) can only be accessed in the full version.

All bonus contents, including a Nonograms, can only be accessed in the full version.

The bonus game is called "Epilogue", and can be found on the Main Menu.

There are Achievements.

Your Pocket Dragon, your Journal (which also has a Goals tab), and the Main Menu button are at the left.

There is a Question Mark, which is also at the left. Click on it, and it will show you your goals. If you are stuck, you can click on the open Question Mark tab, and it will tell you what to do next.

Your HINT Owl is at the right.

Next to the HINT is your MAP. You can use it to jump to different areas after you have visited them first.

The iHOS (interactive hidden object scenes) are fun. Graphics are nice and clear, and objects are easy enough to find.

The HINT, which also works outside of the iHOS, refills within 12 seconds in the easiest mode.

Puzzles so far have not been as difficult as they have been in previous Boomzap games. Yayyy...
Managed them so far, but noticed that the SKIP button only takes about 40 seconds to fill in the easiest mode.

--- --- ---

Quite often, there is a few-seconds delay between scene change, where the screen is just black. Right in the beginning I heard the music play and saw the custom cursor, but the screen was just black, and I worried that the game didn't work properly. But it did. There is just quite often a delay before the game continues.

ETA: Once I went back into the game after buying it, the black screen did not come back at the beginning, but there still is a delay quite often when I move to different scenes, with or without the map.

Other than that, I love the graphics, and I love the gameplay. In fact, I love everything about this game, and seeing that we are still getting an extra punch (although it says that this will only happen from Monday to Wednesday), I will be buying this game.

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 1:12:58 AM PST

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Aug 23, 12 1:40 AM
Good Morning all.

Here is my review and I will try not to repeat too much of what Valdy has (excellently) written, but to be honest I am on the fence about buying this game as a CE.

Oh I was so happy to see it as TGT. It installed quite quickly for me

You have the usual options and the full screen option filled my (non-widescreen) laptop perfectly.

There is a beautiful recap of the previous episodes so the continuation of the story is as smoth as a babies bottom.

The music is as fitting, beautiful and unobtrusive as ever.

There are 3 modes of difficulty relaxed, normal and difficult (with no skip puzzle option) I have played on normal but still got indicaters for a HOS

Again, as ever the HOS are beautifully done. I have encountered a straight HOG, a find X number of this HOG and a match the pairs HOG.

Fast click penalty is a little cursor freezing for a few seconds.

Each scene is quite busy with a lot to do in each and as always, the game has been very well thought out.

There are loads of achievements to collect along the way which I always find fun.

Now, why am I on the fence about buying this beautiful game ?

1: The SG is NOT available in the trial so we have no idea of its length, of the length of the bonus chapter and how useful the GS is.

I know this developer has a fantastic reputation in those fields so I am probably being stubborn, but so often what is in the SG is what sells a game for me as a CE

2. I too had huge lags between the scenes. I came out a few times to check my computers performance. It was not running any scans or maintenance. I closed FF as that can be a huge drain at times and it made no difference. As Valdy has also commented on it it is a bit weird for a game of this calibre to do so.

3.The map : Perhaps I am just getting demanding having been spoilt in the past. Yes it is great you can auto jump from one location to another, but it is difficult to see where you are (a small pin) and there are no indicators of cleared area, puzzles left to solve, nothing to do there at this time that I do find useful.

I will probably buy this game when I have finished my sulk and I will edit to add details about the SG, length and detail etc.

OK I bought it.

The SG knows where I am better than I do. It follows you around. I had to back track once or twice because I had not done things in order and needed other things to proceed. I have been playing for over 2 hours now (1st bit replayed from the demo) and still on Ch1

Edited on 08/23/2012 at 4:29:21 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 23, 12 1:52 AM
This gorgeous game is the final installment of the "Awakening" quadrilogy, and what a stunningly beautiful game it is.

Boomzap is one of the top developers if not the top developer around, and this game clearly shows why. Everything is perfection:
-the story is fantastic and follows an orderly and logical narrative from the first game to this conclusion. Quite unlike some of the other "series" that are loosely held together by a common villain or puppets or whatever.
-the graphics and artwork are beautiful, and you see the attention to detail in every single scene.
-the HOS are superbly done and feature a style of interaction that is different, interesting, and fun to complete.
-the hints are quick and plentiful.
-the map is available for jumping from place to place.
-the voice-overs are very well done
-the pocket dragon and the owl are back.
-the puzzles are different, but not too difficult.
-and needless to say, the game is in WIDESCREEN , which, of course, all the better CEs are.
-there are 41 achievements to aspire to.
-there are 19 nonogram puzzles included in the extras.
-the strategy guide is 164 pages (!!), 19 of which are the bonus game, and 15 of which are devoted to the achievements and nonograms.

You can play this game independently of the first three since it does tell you the story so far, but I would recommend playing all 4 in order because they are that good.

Games like this are rare, and Boomzap has served up what I think is the game of the year thus far, and have set a new and very high bar for others to strive toward. (In fact, it may be the best I have seen in this or any other year!)

Buying immediately!!

MsFreddie
Catfish
Catfish
1,519 Posts

[Post New]by MsFreddie on Aug 23, 12 2:31 AM
Played for half an hour and really enjoying the game so far. I played the first games in the series and was looking forward to this one. Lovely graphics and great attention to detail. Can see how much work was put in to this game to make it an enjoyable experience. Game fills my large monitor and plays smoothly with no lagging or waiting between screens. So nice to have the cute dragon again! I really like the theme of the game and it is a pleasure to play. Has what you expect for a CE, a walk through, wallpapers and bonus play at the end. Also three levels of difficulty to choose from. The hidden object scenes have some fresh and interesting twists to them. Have completed 4 or 5 puzzles so far, they are on the easy side for me but still enjoyable. A definite buy for me.

Edited on 08/23/2012 at 2:36:14 AM PST

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Aug 23, 12 3:31 AM
This game is simply beautiful to look at and to play!!!
It's bright, it's colorful, the music is IMO delightful and the gameplay is smooth!

The Dev's attention to every detail is very evident and they have made this game a work to be very proud of. Thank You, BoomZap!
A quality CE in every way.

And I send a Huge THANK YOU to them for making the wallpapers and other extras (excluding bonus play,of course) available Immediately upon purchasing.
It has made this game, that is a joy to play, an even more wonderful gaming experience!

A purchase for me? You Betcha! Back to playing now!
BK

barelyberlee
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by barelyberlee on Aug 23, 12 4:17 AM
Does anyone have an estimated time on game play? I have all others in series, just wondering if CE is worth my begging my husband to get it today or wait till SE is out

Sheila155
Starfish
Starfish
48 Posts

[Post New]by Sheila155 on Aug 23, 12 4:21 AM
What a beautiful game this is! I absolutely love it. The hos scenes are a joy to play. Very interactive, requiring a bit of thought! The puzzles too are lovely, although so far they have been quite simple. Hopefully they will get harder further into the game, or perhaps playing in a different difficulty!
The graphics are superb, and the music, which I don't often play, is soft and calming, and perfect for the atmosphere of the game.
I have the previous 3 games in this series, and loved them all. This sequel certainly doesn't disappoint, and I am just off to purchase so that I can continue with this wonderful story. I rarely buy Collector's editions, but in this case I must make an exception
It's sad to see this series come to an end, but hopefully the developers have another one up their sleeves to enchant us with in the near future------Pleeeeze!!

crowtrobot
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by crowtrobot on Aug 23, 12 6:43 AM
Hadn't played any of the Awakening games before but thought I'd give the demo a try. I don't get it. THis is suposed to be a magic kingdom and I'm working with machinery? I could overlook the chains and cogs--you would see that with a portcullis--but wiring? And she's been asleep for 100 years--how would she even know what wiring is or how to fix any of the machinery, even with a book?

The graphics are beautiful, I will agree to that. But I nearly went insane in the first HOS because of the constant eye-blinking by the unicorn. It was a hideous distraction.

To be fair, I will try to demo the other Awakening games and see what they are like. But for some reason, even though I like the concept of fantasy (I love fantasy artwork), fantasy games just don't grab me. Maybe it's my darker side

indigobuni
Seahorse
Seahorse
30 Posts

[Post New]by indigobuni on Aug 23, 12 8:07 AM
Based on the reviews so far, I will definitely be getting this game at the beginning of next month. I only need one more SE game to fill a punch card and I hate to have overage (since I lose them).

I was surprised to see another Awakening. I wasn't expecting it, thinking the game series was finished. But this was a nice surprise. If anyone wanting to play this, hasn't played the first 3 Awakenings, then I suggest starting there.

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Aug 23, 12 9:20 AM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME
A truly wonderful game. Just spent the last 7 hours having the time of my life with it. Everything is perfect. It's full of fascinating creatures, beings and characters. The humour in it put a smile on my face so many times, not to mention laughter at some of the more delightful bits.

The graphics are stunning. The music is just great. The v/os are excellent. Did I just meet up with Capt. Jack Sparrow again? Could have sworn. Or it could have been Ian McShane. Wonderful stuff. Very few actual HOS as such - most of them are very different to each other, very interactive and extremely enjoyable. Puzzles are beautiful and frequent, though I had a lot of trouble with the numerical ones, which there are rather a lot of. But it didn't matter. The actual game play more than made up for that. Wonderful navigation - smooth as silk, and instant. A really good SG, that I did have to refer to regarding some puzzles. But on the whole my owl friend was all I really needed. The squabbit! Oh, my word, the squabbit! Utterly enchanting. What a thing to come up with.

I know we all remember Lord of Statues and New Atlantis. Well, they just got bumped down a peg. This game is most certainly the forerunner for Game of the Year.

These devs are outstanding. They have so much imagination and creativity, it's awesome. Boom Zap, you rule.

This is a bumper CE at 7 hours all inclusive, but I never got bored or wanted it to end, I wanted it to carry on forever.

Cannot wait for the next one to find out what happens next. They way they ended it, there will most definitely be another one.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Aug 23, 12 12:24 PM
Very nice game, I love the interaction in the scenes, I played on the easiest and so far is been good.

I have all the games in the series, they have gotten better and better, this one have very impressive graphics.

[Post New]by SIRSLIMMYEEL on Aug 23, 12 1:02 PM
This is the first time I agree with everyone this game is awsome!! I wan to buy it so bad-but I have to wait until the first of the month. I think this game is what all the other dv.s should strive to do. The colors and graphics are top notch!! I also would give it 5 so enjoy all of you who are playing,

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Aug 23, 12 1:20 PM
This is a sequel to a game which I have been looking forward to playing. Very well done. These devs are some of the best in the business. Graphics are extraordinary. The story continues in the saga of a princess finding fellow humans like herself. I will definitely purchase this game. Very sad that some do not like the game. I also like the fact that HOG scenes require some work in solve. They are not just junkpiles. I absollutely hate HOG scenes but these I thought required some thought. A definite five star game for me.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 23, 12 1:57 PM
Wish I could get as excited about this game as lots of other gamers do but I can't. I did buy two of the Awakening series but wasn't something I had to have. Will be a wait and see. Did do the entire trial, but used the hints a lot and question mark to tell me where to find things.Soooo.. must not be a game for me..

[Post New]by Underthebridge on Aug 23, 12 3:03 PM
sorry ..not for me..maybe if I were 8 years old...

steve_san
Clownfish
Clownfish
586 Posts

[Post New]by steve_san on Aug 23, 12 3:49 PM
I did not care for the game either, but then I do not think I cared for the earlier Awakening versions either.

When I first started the game, the pegasus and dragon were not visible (!), so there was some frustration in knowing what to do! After restarting the game, they appeared.

The puzzle instructions were somewhat clunky as well. However the game is well drawn.

No doubt this game will appeal to a certain segment of players, but not for me.

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Aug 23, 12 4:16 PM
I am so enjoying this game. It's running perfectly for me on my Windows 7 laptop. The demo was a little slow to load and switch between scenes, but once purchased everything speeded up. I've been playing for 2+ hours and am only at the beginning of Chapter 2. Graphics are gorgeous. Some of the mini games are more than a little confusing even with directions. I look forward to the next several days playing an hour or so each day. Thank you, Boom Zap!

barelyberlee
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by barelyberlee on Aug 23, 12 4:53 PM
I did end up buying this game earlier today, I couldn't resist. I'm sure I can't add anything that anyone else hasn't given as far as how the game is. I would like to add about the game play. Now this is me, I am a busy mom. I have a 10 month old 4 yo and 6 yo. I bought the game after taking the 6 to school. I played off and on all day, I have babies to take care of. I am still on chapter 2, there are 4 chapters, plus bonus play. I love the games that have HOGS but not too many and this game doesn't over load you with them. I am very glad I did (if you saw my previous comment you'll understand LOL) beg my husband so I could buy it

Go to: