Thank you from Boomzap!

Boomzap
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by Boomzap on Aug 23, 12 3:56 PM
Hi there, I’m Chris [Removed by Moderator]– one of the founders of Boomzap Entertainment. I wanted to stop by the forums, and answer a few questions about Awakening: the Skyward Castle.

But before I do that, I wanted to take a minute to thank everybody on the forums for their incredible support of Boomzap games. There is just so much entertainment available on the Internet these days… We’re just really happy, and somewhat humbled, that you choose to spend your time playing our games.

The team that made Awakening: The Skyward Castle is a group of very dedicated and passionate and programmers, artists, designers, musicians, and actors from around the world: Singapore, Indonesia, Russia, Malaysia, the Philippines, and yes, the United States. They are a truly great group of people - and I am humbled daily by the joy it brings me to work with them. I know that all of them are truly grateful that your support of our games has enabled them (and me!) to live out our dreams of being game developers.

I would add, this game - like all Boomzap games - is our way of attempting to bring something "bright and beautiful" into the realm of video games. We really feel that the world has enough horror, violence, sex, and all that other stuff in entertainment, and while that's fine for some people, we think that there is a place in the world for entertainment that aspires to be beautiful, empowering, and uplifting. The support we see from our fans proves to us that this is the case.

We were truly touched by many of the kind words we see here, not just about the new game, but about our little studio. On behalf of the team, thank you from the bottom of our hearts. if we could give each of you all a big hug, we would.

Thank you so much.

Chris [Removed by Moderator]
Creative Director, Boomzap

Edited on 08/27/2012 at 5:34:02 PM PST

Boomzap
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

Now - Questions and Answers

[Post New]by Boomzap on Aug 23, 12 4:00 PM
Q: Is this a series? What are the other games?
A: Yes, this is the fourth game in the Awakening series. In order, they are:
- Awakening: The Dreamless Castle (SE only)
- Awakening: Moonfell Wood (SE only)
- Awakening: The Goblin Kingdom (CE and SE)
- Awakening: The Skyward Castle (CE now, SE available later)

Q: Do I need to play them in order?
A: Not really – each one has a sort of quick summary of the series so far at the beginning, so you could play them in any order you want and still have fun. But I like playing them in order – the story is more fun that way.

Q: Is this series available on Mac? iOS?
A: All of the games are currently available here at Big Fish Games on Mac, and the first three on iOS. We have a team working on Skyward Castle iOS now, and will have it out as soon as we can.

Q: Is this the last game of the series?
A: I’m not telling – that would be a spoiler. I *will* say that Sophia has finally found her home, and that means we’re going to finally find the answers to many of the riddles that have been vexing her through the series.

Q: How long is the game?
A: Depends on how you play. We try our best to make sure that all Boomzap games are good value for your money, and this one is no different, but your playing time will vary a great deal depending on how often you skip subgames, use hints, use the strategy guide, and how fast you are at games like this. The fastest testers in our studio who know this game inside and out, clicking as fast as they can, can get through in about 2-3 hours if they have to. Most people will likely take at least twice that long. We have been hearing reports that it’s 5-7 hours for skilled players.

Boomzap
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

MORE Q&A

[Post New]by Boomzap on Aug 23, 12 4:02 PM
Q: How long did it take you to make the game? How many people worked on it?
A: We began development about a year ago, while Goblin Kingdom was still in testing. The team size changes as we develop, but about a dozen people at Boomzap were largely responsible for most of the content. We also have huge support from our publishing partners at Big Fish Games.

Q: I found a bug in the game – what do I do?
A: The most important thing you can do to help the developers of this game (or any game on BFG) is report it to the tech support team at BFG. They can gather the specific info we need to fix the problem. Trust me, nobody is more upset about a bug in a Boomzap game than me, and we’ll do everything we can to fix any issue we can!

Q: Does Boomzap have any other games like this?
A: Absolutely! I’m glad I asked! (evil laughter) If you liked Awakening, you might likesome of our other Hidden Object and Adventure games:
More Adventure-ey:
- Death at Fairing Point: A Dana Knightstone Novel
- Death Under Tuscan Skies: A Dana Knightstone Novel
- Otherworld, Spring of Shadows
More Hidden Object-ey
- Antique Road Trip: USA
- Antique Road Trip: Homecoming

Q: Are you working on any new games?
A: Heck yeah! We have 5 teams working on 5 other new games that we hope you’ll enjoy – some are sequels, some are absolutely new. But I can’t tell you any more about that just yet.

If you have any other questions, we’re lurking here in the forums, and are happy to answer. And let me say one last time – THANK YOU! It’s your love and support for our games that lets us keep making them. You are all the best.

Re:Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by sheilamilo on Aug 23, 12 4:21 PM
And thank YOU for beautiful games!

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 23, 12 4:24 PM
Thank you for making games with so many puzzles. I have only started chapter 2 in this game, but love the variety and amount.

I love the dana knightstone novel games as well, and you brought us loads of puzzles in that as well.

Of course thanks for the transporter map as it's getting to the stage that I rarely buy a game unless it has one.

While I am more of an adventure player than hidden object player nowadays (don't like that many HOS in games), I do appreciate that you have made the HOS highly interactive, and different kinds. So that has keeps the game interesting, than a game that has loads of HOS with just straight lists.

And yes it is nice for a change to have a family friendly game!

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
250 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Aug 23, 12 4:42 PM
On this thread you declined to say if this was truly the conclusion. On BF main page for this game it is called the conclusion of a quadrilogy. I would have bought it, even if it was only called the next installment, but I don't like being deceived.

Boomzap
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by Boomzap on Aug 23, 12 5:58 PM
DMH5321 wrote:On this thread you declined to say if this was truly the conclusion. On BF main page for this game it is called the conclusion of a quadrilogy. I would have bought it, even if it was only called the next installment, but I don't like being deceived.

No deception is intended, of course - and my apologies if you felt anyone was leading you on! Yes, the game is the conclusion of a quadrilogy, in that we will be wrapping up a number of story arcs we have been developing over the last few games... but as to whether or not it is the last time we'll be making a game with Sophia and her world... that's a very different question. But again, I don't want to spoil the fun for anyone by saying too much.

mysticalla5
Stingray
Stingray
4,869 Posts

[Post New]by mysticalla5 on Aug 23, 12 6:05 PM
Hi "Boomzap"
I think that you're coming here and thanking all of us, and also explaining things about you and your company was a terrific thing to do!!

I truly enjoyed reading all you said and , well, needless to say I have all the "Awakening" games and love them.

I have a number of your other games also. Quality certainly pays off as I don't often buy a CE, simply because I don't care for wallpaper etc. But I do have the CE's of Awakening.
Someone mentioned that they buy them to support a dev that they enjoy so much.
I guess I'm doing the same.

I don't feel you were deceitful in any way shape or form.! I also realize that some things are best kept 'secret' for all involved, including we the purchasers. Thank you again for both your games, and for this thread!
~~~mysti

Howatch
Manatee
Manatee
3,952 Posts

[Post New]by Howatch on Aug 23, 12 6:40 PM
A big thank you, Chris, to you and your team at Boomzap, for being so responsive and accessible to the players of your games. I love your games and will continue to play each and every one.

dinsb
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by dinsb on Aug 23, 12 8:44 PM
Boomzap wrote:We really feel that the world has enough horror, violence, sex, and all that other stuff in entertainment, and while that's fine for some people, we think that there is a place in the world for entertainment that aspires to be beautiful, empowering, and uplifting.

Amen! Thank you so much for these beautiful, interesting and gentle games. And thank you especially for the simultaneous PC/Mac release, sparing we Mac users from weeks and weeks of sitting restlessly on the sidelines, drooling.

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,281 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Aug 24, 12 2:31 AM
Yes Chris, thank you for such a beautifully presented change of pace. This fairy tale is not just for kids, but unlike so many of the dark, gruesome games, it could be shared with one. Plus, I'm a sucker for a happy ending. Hoping Sophia has hers this time!

I started out in Hardcore, not realizing you couldn't switch among the play modes. (Please think about adding that feature in subsequent games.) This will be a long game for me!

ETA: I'm also an appreciative Mac player.

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 2:32:39 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 24, 12 5:39 AM
Hello Chris, and thank you for a wonderful game. What a beautiful and fun game this is.

I own the previous three games as well, but this is the best one so far. I love love love the various HOS, and am really happy to see that many of the puzzles are easy enough for me to solve them. Thank you for that.

And thank you for the quick refill of the Owl Hint in Easy mode, and the fast fill of the SKIP button as well.

This is a looooong game for me. I played the first chapter yesterday, and just finished the second chapter today - have to take a break after each one, because they are really long chapters, so far.

The only slightly negative thing is that there is quite a bit of black nothing in between some of the scene changes.
Also, the first time I played the game, it took several seconds (15-20) for me to get a picture right at the beginning. The second time I went into the game (after buying it), the picture came up immediately.
However, after going back in a third time today, starting with chapter 2, I again got that black screen right at the beginning. For a moment I thought the game had frozen, because I couldn't even move the cursor, but the picture did come eventually (again after 15-20 seconds).

Now, this has never happened with any of the other Boomzap games I own (and I own them all - using a Win7 laptop). And I see that there are other gamers who have this "problem".
It doesn't bother me - much - but it does interfere with the smooth running of the game.

Otherwise, super game. Really exceptional.

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 24, 12 7:46 AM
thank you boomzap,,, i rarely buy hog ce,s any more, because of same same stories and themes....length, dissappointing bonus,,

but your games are still almost a automatic buy for me......

and one more thing......we all want our very own SQUABBIT!!!

[Post New]by dobbiemijnboekje on Aug 24, 12 7:49 AM
Thanks Boomzap. I love your games! This one is so beautiful. I love the pocketdragon. Can I have one, please?

I hope you make more games like this one.

Thanks!!!

lilyr
Marlin
Marlin
8,137 Posts

[Post New]by lilyr on Aug 24, 12 8:06 AM
Thank you, Chris, and the rest of the folks at Boomzap! Your games are an automatic buy for me for two reasons: I love the games themselves (bright graphics, interesting story, levels of play, help via hints and creatures) and I like to support a DEV that doesn't do dark and gruesome. Now all I have to do is see whether I can hold out for another 10 days until I get the second credit to buy the CE or whether I'll cave and buy earlier!

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Aug 24, 12 10:45 AM
Boomzap wrote:

I would add, this game - like all Boomzap games - is our way of attempting to bring something "bright and beautiful" into the realm of video games. We really feel that the world has enough horror, violence, sex, and all that other stuff in entertainment, and while that's fine for some people, we think that there is a place in the world for entertainment that aspires to be beautiful, empowering, and uplifting. The support we see from our fans proves to us that this is the case.

And indeed we need more games like this, Chris - keep up the good work - nice to get a happy game, for once!

PowderMonkey
Guppy
Guppy
195 Posts

Thank you from Boomzap!

[Post New]by PowderMonkey on Aug 24, 12 10:47 AM
Valdy wrote:
The only slightly negative thing is that there is quite a bit of black nothing in between some of the scene changes.
Also, the first time I played the game, it took several seconds (15-20) for me to get a picture right at the beginning. The second time I went into the game (after buying it), the picture came up immediately.
However, after going back in a third time today, starting with chapter 2, I again got that black screen right at the beginning. For a moment I thought the game had frozen, because I couldn't even move the cursor, but the picture did come eventually (again after 15-20 seconds).

Now, this has never happened with any of the other Boomzap games I own (and I own them all - using a Win7 laptop). And I see that there are other gamers who have this "problem".

Same here, seems to stall a bit sometimes, but nevermind, the quality of the game makes up for that!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 24, 12 11:56 AM
Hi Chris----As you can tell from my review, I believe the game is outstanding. What I am doing next is to go back to the first game in the series and play this quadrilogy all the way through (and I almost never replay the Adventure-ey games)----these games are that good.
Congrats to you and to Boomzap for these excellent games. The meticulous craftsmanship shown in this, and in all your games is apparent. I think the Dana Knightstone games are great and Otherworld is terrific (liked the Antiquers too), but the Awakening series is my favorite series of games and this particular game is the best I have seen at BFG in a very long while. Kudos to you and the entire team at Boomzap.

You know, just the fact that you come in to these forums and open up a discussion concerning any and all aspects of your work ought to speak volumes to everyone. You never see anyone here from some of the others, yet here you are. Again, it shows the care and concern you have in bringing a superb product to BFG.

As far as I'm concerned, Boomzap is now the #1 developer out there. I hope your stay at the top is a long one, and you can continue to set the bar and pave the way for the rest.

Congratulations, my friend, on a game and job very well done!

maddee51
Clownfish
Clownfish
689 Posts

[Post New]by maddee51 on Aug 24, 12 1:46 PM
Oh well done Boomzap I've not been on for ages and then this is released ho hum I HAVE TO HAVE IT LOL

I have the others and love them so I'll have to rejoin

good luck on your next ventures x

[Post New]by LuvDemGames on Aug 24, 12 6:03 PM
Love this game! Beautiful graphics, I just have to take time to look at them and not rush ahead to play the game. Love the unicorn and the squabbit and the owl, of course. Nice gentle game, such a pleasure to see one like this. Will be looking forward to your next offering.

Go to: