bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Surface: The Noise She Couldn't Make

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 24, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Surface: The Noise She Couldn't Make ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Surface: The Noise She Couldn't Make page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Surface: The Noise She Couldn't Make

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 24, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 24, 12 12:38 AM
Just in case it is helpful, you can find the reviews for the CE version of this game here.

There are differences between these two versions but this may help you get a sense of the gameplay!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 24, 12 12:47 AM
morning all (hi valdy) I seem to be first but was just around!

I played the CE. The plot is 100% tied up here in the SE Full CE vs SE differences at bottom if interested, but worth noting there is nothing to collect (flowers) or any extras (office extra) in this SE version. I downloaded and double checked.

An exceptional game from elephant, a worthy successor to the first in the series (surface: mystery of another world). I'd say game of the year but they would be competing with their first surface game! This is a stand alone game, completely different characters to the first surface game, it’s not a sequel.

Here it’s a psychic who goes into a girl’s mind to try and save her, and the ending I loved. This gives the opportunity to create fantasy places for gameplay and it was so fun and beautiful. There weren’t many HOS (my kind of game!) and it’s mostly adventure with some pure gems of puzzles, a lot original. They brought back the live actors and the problem of lip synch has been solved. The hint button is the usual spoiler/mini guide so no need for the SG.

There is the usual 3 choice of hardness setting but all can be changed mid game. Hardest no skipping, no hints.

The main thing I love about surface series is that every chapter is a brand new environment, new transporter maps and you don’t go back into old areas (apart from throne room & outside of it but it has been changed).

With live actors being integrated really well into a scene, along with other type cutscenes, propel the story along there is no diary but if needed you can refresh your memory and replay cutscenes. The music in one part with the musicians was just so. You can swap between 3 levels of hardness during play, so no need to worry if you choose hardcore.

TBC

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 12:01:19 PM PST

gingergal
Manatee
Manatee
3,873 Posts

[Post New]by gingergal on Aug 24, 12 12:48 AM
continued

HIDDEN OBJECT SCENES-

All were non active, list type, mostly junk pile but no tiny items, no random click penalty, non repeating, very clear. If you are looking for the innovative, inventory style HOS of the first game you will be disappointed as these are straight HOS.

PUZZLES -

A lot original, and I'd say nearly all were between medium and hard for a HOPA! (yeah) Quite a few took me a while. Even the non original ones like the jigsaw - the graphics on that were stunning! I LOVED the puzzles in this game.

(The 4/5 for hardness rating is for adventure side combined as adventure wasn't hard.) But everything together was the perfect hardness for me, for a relaxing game.

Amount of HOS and puzzles (main game/SE)
HOS – 12
Puzzles – 14 (including repeating of magnet puzzle twice)
Breakdown of it -
Chapter 1 –4 HOS, 4 puzzles. Chapter 2 – 3 HOS, 4 puzzles. Chapter 3 – 2 HOS, 3 puzzles. Chapter 4 – 3 HOS, 3 puzzles.

Constructive criticism part –
-Hardcore has black bar tips, coloured icons on map no choice but to see them. If they could do what they do with puzzles and hide the objective/tip but you bring it up manually by pressing the “i” key that would be great!

The following is in CE that IS NOT in this SE - I put in spoilers so highlight to read.

**-Achievements
-Collect flowers including the bonus! These you can spend in the shop (your office) for furnishings for your office
-1 screensaver
-9 wallpaper
-12 concept art
-4 music
-3 cutscenes that weren’t in the game
-3 minigames

edit for clarification - There is also a bonus and SG in the CE.

Time - SE game - 5hr 30 mins

I highly recommend this game.

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 12:03:29 PM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 24, 12 1:06 AM
Morning, Gingergal and all...

Well, Gingergal has said it all.

Here is my review from the CE forum, minus the CE parts:

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is widescreen.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over.

There are 4 chapters.

The Menu button is on the left.

Right above the menu button is the MAP, which shows you where you are and where you need to do things. It can also be used to jump to different locations.

On the right of the MAP you will find a drawing of the girl who is the main character in this game, and the symptoms of her illness. You have to cure all of them.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are not interactive.

The HINT button, which is at the right and also works outside of the HOS, tells you exactly what to do next, and takes about 40 seconds to refill in Casual mode.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button could have taken less time to fill in Casual mode, but it's not an excessively long wait.

Graphics are very well done, inside the HOS and out of them.

--- --- ---

This is yet another beautiful game from Elephant Games.
Gameplay is intriguing and interesting, and I couldn't resist and bought the CE, if only for the extras that came with the CE.

Oh, and thanks a lot, Gingergal, for helping me decide when I wasn't sure whether to get the CE or wait for the SE.

Edited on 08/24/2012 at 1:08:53 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Aug 24, 12 2:23 AM
Gingergal has said it all, will just paste my review of the CE here, now that I've finished it, I will just add that it not only a good game but a keeper

Valdy

Played 30 minutes, casual

- Elephant Games
- 4 chapters + bonus play (chapters are long, checked the SG)
- 3 play modes, casual, advanced, hardcore
- As in the first one you collect flowers, they give you access to a shop where you can buy furniture for your office (on the main menu)
- You get rewards for using not hints in a H0 or not skipping a mini game
- Achievements can be seen on the main menu
- Integrated SG
- Map
- H0, clear, you don't interact
- Interesting, new mini games (only played one)
- Hint and skip button, fill fast casual. Hint useful outside H0
- Very good "life" sound and voice-overs
- Beautiful, gorgeous graphics

Interesting story, you travel in the girl's memory and back in RL through an hospital TV. Very good game , a buy.

jcsgame
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,392 Posts

[Post New]by jcsgame on Aug 24, 12 7:50 AM
The aforementioned Fishes' covered the game's statistics excellently. I just want to add the following.

For those of you that purchase the SE Version of the game, you will get a good ending to the game. The Bonus Section of the CE covers another facet of the Girl's life, with an additional good ending.

This is an excellent game and will keep you on your fins (toes).

allibee4d
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
17 Posts

[Post New]by allibee4d on Aug 30, 12 7:08 AM
LOVED this game! And like the other fish, I'd really enjoyed the first Surface game too, which helped make an easy decision to try then purchase this one. I bought the SE game (with my game credits), and was so not disappointed. It was excellent. It did keep me guessing, which is unusual for me, because I'm such a plot spotter - not so with this one. I did have to use the hint button, which I hate using (but I do have flu), and sometimes had to use items that I hadn't found and thought I'd searched EVERYwhere, but evidently not. Worth checking several times to make sure you've not missed an item to pick up, but that made it a challenge. Love the interplay between real life characters and the stunning graphics. Marvellous game play, beautiful scenes, very clear pictures, and great art work - well done, Elephant Games!

qpr1
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by qpr1 on Aug 30, 12 6:25 PM
i quite enjoyed the demo once i had got rid of the custom cursor (floating)

florianna98
Lobster
Lobster
97 Posts

[Post New]by florianna98 on Aug 31, 12 10:31 PM
Clickable Map!! Hooray!!!! That is probably the one single thing that makes a game doable for me, and I love games that have them.

I am about half way through, and I'm really enjoying this game.

addieh
Minnow
Minnow
214 Posts

[Post New]by addieh on Sep 8, 12 6:43 PM
I loved this game, even more than the first Surface. I especially liked the theme and the voiceovers and the HOS scenes of course. Elephant Games You kick A**!
The only thing I disliked was the gem puzzles. Otherwise, I grade this a 5 out of 5!
Good job!

layzeedaisy
Minnow
Minnow
221 Posts

[Post New]by layzeedaisy on Sep 9, 12 2:01 PM
Another Elephant Games winner. Their artwork is just superb.

The (few) hidden object scenes were pure bliss, not cluttered and very clear.

The story was excellently done. Good use of live characters but as far as lip synch went - were they speaking a foreign language?

Yet another super game from this dev and very highly recommended.

pinkwitch12
Lobster
Lobster
98 Posts

[Post New]by pinkwitch12 on Sep 17, 12 6:40 PM
I love the interactive quality of these games. Live actors really bring it out of the cyberspace and I really got to care about Jane. I hope to see Jane/er Liza again.

[Post New]by cornardtye on Sep 23, 12 8:34 AM
Lovely game but not the longest around. took about 2 hours.

cnbmimi11
Guppy
Guppy
192 Posts

[Post New]by cnbmimi11 on Sep 25, 12 8:48 PM
this was a great game and have to agree with all reviews. good storyline and it took you into the story.

cirig
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
15 Posts

[Post New]by cirig on Oct 6, 12 10:44 PM
I don't really have anything unique to say, but want to add my kudos to Elephant for another great game. I liked this one even better than the first Surface. Exquisite graphics and a refreshingly different storyline. In many games, I start to feel "lonely" as I struggle along all by myself as the detective or whomever with no interaction with other characters. In this one, the ongoing presence of the nurse and Noise kept me engaged. I loved the narrator..in fact, all the voice overs were excellent. Thanks, BFG, for bringing this to us!

[Post New]by dimichan on Nov 23, 12 11:27 PM
Loved this game.

It was absorbing, and the confusion was part of the game itself as you see through a troubled girl's psyche.

Again, I loved this game. HO scenes were pretty easy but not childishly done. Puzzles were just hard enough without being too tedious or overly frustrating. And the graphics and story pulled you right on through. The "Live" acted parts integrated well,
I just really can't think of anything negative about this game!

fatandfrumpy
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by fatandfrumpy on Jan 25, 13 8:39 AM
I enjoyed the game as it was challenging, but the ending was SO lame!

roaming
Clownfish
Clownfish
644 Posts

[Post New]by roaming on Feb 21, 13 11:57 PM
cirig wrote:I don't really have anything unique to say, but want to add my kudos to Elephant for another great game. I liked this one even better than the first Surface. Exquisite graphics and a refreshingly different storyline. In many games, I start to feel "lonely" as I struggle along all by myself as the detective or whomever with no interaction with other characters. In this one, the ongoing presence of the nurse and Noise kept me engaged. I loved the narrator..in fact, all the voice overs were excellent. Thanks, BFG, for bringing this to us!

All of the above, especially thanks to Elephant for a really unique, interesting story.

One reviewer mentioned a lame ending. Yes, it seemed abrupt as a lot of these games do. I often wish for more of a real story arc with a true denoument.

Go to: