lsr103
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

So near, yet so very far (I'm afraid)

[Post New]by lsr103 on Aug 27, 12 9:27 AM
First, the caveat - several people seemed to have enjoyed this game, so I might be in a minority - but for my part it was terribly disappointing.

The premise - a Stephen King "The Stand" style plotline - is inspired and genuinely novel. Unfortunately the game-play is so pedestrian that the experience never really manages to get the adrenaline flowing. One finds oneself collecting innumerable coins for slot-machines which do things which - well - slot-machines simply don't do. Likewise, having to assemble family crests to unlock doors is just plain meaningless. I might accept this device in the realms of Harry Potter or the Hobbit, but this is meant to be an oh-so-ordinary North American small town. It simply feels ludicrous and completely incongruous. The only explanation can be that having to search for yet another inexplicable key in twilit rubble would have had players opening a vein with boredom. And there's the rub - the whole experience feels like a punitively dull series of tasks, rather than an engaging recreational experience. This is just lazy plotting. The best adventure games in this genre create the impression that the player is constantly being given genuine options. This is, of course, wholly illusory and one is embarked on a linearly driven narrative, but at its best - "Mystery Case Files", "Puppetshow", "Drawn", "Hidden Expedition" - one is hooked throughout and goes with the flow. "Infected - The Twin Vaccine" is so uneventfully wearisome, featureless and flabbily plotted that, notwithstanding its over-short game-itme, one is nonetheless pleased to have got the whole thing over with.

I'd give this a wide berth if I were you - dull as ditchwater.

bfgMonongahela
Manatee
Manatee
4,448 Posts

Re:So near, yet so very far (I'm afraid)

[Post New]by bfgMonongahela on Aug 27, 12 11:12 AM
Hi lsr103,

I'm sorry that you were disappointed in this game! But thanks so much for taking the time to share your thoughts with the rest of the Pond. We like to hear any feedback about our games so we know what to focus on in the future.

We do already have a thread that we're dedicating to reviews here, though. We like to keep that sort of feedback together in one thread because it makes it easier for other Fishies to find when they are thinking about buying a game. It's also more likely that the game developers will see the posts from this thread (along with the separate reviews that are posted on the game pages themselves) as we are able to send that info along to them.

I'm going to be locking this separate thread now, but I hope you'll re-post your thoughts over in our reviews thread, or submit it as a review for the game page.

If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to let me or one of the other Moderators know.

Thanks again!

bfgMonongahela

Go to: