bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Nancy Drew: The Captive Curse

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 12 12:28 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,659 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Aug 28, 12 5:08 PM
This review is based on the one hour demo.

I loved this. I've never played this type of game (Large File Adventure) before. The detailed graphics, interesting puzzles and games and fun well voiced dialog make this a winner.

You are Nancy Drew who has been summoned to Germany to solve a mystery about a monster that abducts young women. You have to decide who to talk to and where to go throughout the castle. Not a lot of help given, but I'm enjoying exploring the game. Be sure to save often. The game allows you to quit without saving, so if you make a mistake, you can just start from your last save point.

The opening tutorial was a bit slow, but I found it useful, as this game is so different. An independent review said it was shorter than some of the others in the series, but these games are usually very long and one review gave it 6 - 7 hours of play time.

Thanks BFG for finally bringing a game from this series here for the Mac players.

Edited on 08/28/2012 at 5:11:46 PM PST

[Post New]by rosie28sammy on Nov 27, 12 8:06 AM
Yes, yes, yes!!! A huge "thank you" BF for offering yet another Nancy Drew game. My daughter and I love playing them together and we just finished playing Allibi in Ashes and we were hoping we wouldn't have to wait too long for BF to offer another one. We can use a punch card credit and even without it, the games offered here are at a substantial discount from the developer's website.

I will come back to do a more indepth review after DD and I finish playing, but having been avid fans of the series for years, it is a definite buy without even demoing. For anyone who is unfamiliar with the Nancy Drew games, you can visit the developer's website for demos. While this particular game does not have a demo, you can demo some of the others in the series which will give you an idea of what the gameplay is like. Most of the games are offered here at BF so if you find you like them, look here first.

Basically they are all adventure games. They have two levels of play, the junior level and the senior level, which we have found is for experienced players mainly. Hints are available, but there are times when you can get stuck. Again, the developer's website has a community board where you can get help in the game. The graphics are always wonderful and the games play without any problems. If you are an adventure game player or a fan of Nancy Drew, book series or PC games, you will love it!

Edited on 11/27/2012 at 8:08:00 AM PST

kenziemom
Starfish
Starfish
42 Posts

[Post New]by kenziemom on Mar 10, 13 10:52 AM
I am so frustrated with this game. Have played for two weekends and week nights and still have not finished. No scarf. Have found two rotors but appears it need another, no call from Luka. cannot decode messages, cannot get in the portfolio or Karl's cabinet. No help in the forum. I have played other ND and didn't have this problem. I don't know if I will ever buy another.

[Post New]by Ubalda on Apr 6, 14 8:27 AM
I AM A BIG FAN OF ALL GAMES OF NANCY DREW, I HAVE ALL OF THEM, EVEN IF I NEED A WALKTROUGH TO FOLLOW, KEEPS INTERESTED BY THE STORIES AND ALSO YOU HAVE TO USE THE BRAIN FOR THE PUZZLES.

KENZIEMON YOU DONT NEED THREE ROTORS ONE IS ALREADY THERE JUST CLOSE THE META AFTER YOU PUT THE TWO NEED, LOOK FOR A HELP IN A WALKTROUGH BY GOOGLE.

TO DECODE MESSAGES HAVE TO WRITE IN YOUR COMPUTER WHAT THE CODES SAID, ONE YOU FOUND IN THE WELL TUNNELS, THE OTHER I THINK WAS IN A BOOK, TAKE THEM AND PUT THEM IN THE WRITING MACHINE, MOVE THE ROTORS SMK FIRST, FOLLOW THE FIRST CODE, AND THEN FBR, AND THE CODE WITH THE BAT.., THE PROBLEM I HAVE IN THAT POINT IS TO WRITE THE NUMBER 2 IS NEEDED IN THE CODE MY COMPUTER DOES NOT TRASMIT THE NUMBERS TO THE GAME ENJOY IT IF YOU DOES NOT THE PROBLEM OF WRITING THE NUMBERS

[Post New]by kittylondon on Apr 11, 14 6:48 PM
Hi there..

First of all, I have played every ND game there is..I absolutely love her games. They're adventures, not hidden object. Excellent V/O's.

LOL @ Markus!...He was awesome...[The car part..]

If I had to change anything it would be this;

If dialogue should include important piece of info, to *push* forward in the game; It should be included in the *observations* list--or somewhere.! It would save alot of running around..

Most of the time, dialogue is just added info in her games..
Usually, if there's alot.. I tune it out..I still enjoy hearing it, I just don't particularly listen to it..
For instance, Renate needed something from me in order to push forward in the game..[SCARF]
HOwever, it was mentioned in her dialogue----- which included alot of babbling.

I had no way of knowing what she mentioned in a babbling session.
By the time I needed that info; I was farrr along in the game !..It wasn't recorded..So in essence..I had to resort to the walk-through.

The fatal error messages; They are wayyy to long...I just want to Try Again..Sometimes they're almost 2 paragraphs!

All of that said; This game was ok...I have played some of her better ones..I had hoped for more in this one..

I hadn't played one of hers in eons..So I had hoped for more.. But that could just be me..and therefore the rating is down for me..

Out of 5...a 3..

3/5*****

Regardless...I still enjoy her games..and would pick one up before I would a hog game..

Thanks!

Edited on 04/11/2014 at 6:53:54 PM PST

Yaelle
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,317 Posts

[Post New]by Yaelle on Aug 9, 14 11:20 PM
I have not played the full game yet, nor have I even finished the free hour demo. But I have implicit faith in the Nancy Drew series, as all of the games I've played have been top notch.

Whats funny about this one is that its funny. I was not expecting that at all! So if everything goes as well as I expect it to, that'll be a grade A quality game WITH humor. Wow.

Only thing is, I am going to play as a Junior Detective this time, because in the last 2 games I thought, okay when they're saying Junior vs Senior maybe they mean that a Jr. Detective status will be more geared toward children. Turned out that is not the case. Its a matter of difficulty levels. I found the games to be *quite* hard in some points. In fact, there were some puzzles in .. oh, I forget which games, sorry, where if I had not found lots of Nancy Drew walkthroughs available online I don't even know how I'd have gotten through!

(In fact, I don't know how the people who did the walkthroughs ever figured some of those things out.)

So anyway, if you enjoy a really high quality game that's made by professionals vs. some random people who seem to have gotten their hands on hidden object game-creating software, definitely check out this game!!

Go to: