bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 12 12:34 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 28, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

SnowMeow
Stingray
Stingray
5,934 Posts

[Post New]by SnowMeow on Aug 28, 12 1:01 AM
If I'm having a tough time sleeping~~this is the game! I don't mean this in a bad way either...it's rather boring, but is rather addictive and pretty. I bought the last one and I'm going to give it a try tonight for this very reason...can't sleep! LOL.

After demo~~Disappointed, I'll stick with the first. Shame.

Edited on 08/28/2012 at 3:19:41 AM PST

CasualGran
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by CasualGran on Aug 28, 12 1:22 AM
Pity. This is a pretty little game and I liked playing it. Colourful and a nice change in the games M3 style. But... it appeared to be timed. Even the first 'relaxed' mode has a timer. Pity. Really. Now I'll have to skip this game alltogether.

saphhire
Herring
Herring
329 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Aug 28, 12 1:55 AM
The first one had more options then this one, what a shame I bought the first one, but this one I PASS......................................If anyone can tell me where to put your name would like to hear from you. This game went right into playing, no name, no choice of timed or untimed...................no nothing as far as my game went..............had potential but wow, in my OPINION what a dud.............

mkastor
Herring
Herring
375 Posts

[Post New]by mkastor on Aug 28, 12 4:59 AM
Well put..if I was having a bout of insomnia, this is the game. I can think of ten things I'd rather be doing at the time I'm playing this. Timed (??), dull, repetitive and I don't care if the jar is journeying out west, east or south...it's dull everywhere on the planet!

gimmegames
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,231 Posts

[Post New]by gimmegames on Aug 28, 12 5:51 AM
I played the hour demo. I really like all the new marble designs and ambiance. Could the devs please add an untimed option (- no change in gameplay, just without time limit)?

essgee52
Minnow
Minnow
265 Posts

[Post New]by essgee52 on Aug 28, 12 8:27 AM
I played for about 20 minutes and didn't really have a problem with the timer. The game play is unique -- you start with a bowl of marbles and drop marbles one at a time from above to make matches. The marbles in the bowl roll around and change positions as the marbles are dropped, sometimes resulting in multiple matches or your target moving out of the way of your drop. Unique but boring, IMO. There are some power ups, but without the opportunity to make big matches and with no variety in the layout, this is definitely not my cup of tea.

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Aug 28, 12 8:45 AM
An easy game and way to boring for me. Won't be a buy here.

chiari_survivor
Catfish
Catfish
1,506 Posts

[Post New]by chiari_survivor on Aug 28, 12 9:27 AM
More of a marble shooter game than a match 3. Sadly only a timed version. The game has a one paragraph story. Those players that enjoy this type of marble shooter game & timer may enjoy the game play as it has several power up possibilities.

Marbles will load a fish bowl from two dragons mouths, one from each side. The graphics of the dragons with the flames coming from the nostrils sounds better in writing about them, than they were in reality.

As the marbles load, any matches will flow vapors of steam away toward the lower left side of the screen. Kind of like the dragon burned them away& builds up power. Power ups will be available later. Bomb, timer, lightning bolt & fire. 35 levels up the mountain and 35 down- yes I counted the steps.

No signing in of your name but opening screen had Play,Options & Exit.
Options page includes sliders for effects which was music and environment volume which was sound effects. The music was calm and peaceful and the environmental sounds were marbles clicking, a bit of dramatic sounds as each scene began or ended and some birds chirping. You could also use a slider scale for your screen resolution and it would automatically set to your computers needs. You could also choose to un-click the full screen option. Also from the options page you could choose to click on reset game or achievements.

There are 12 achievements but I could only read the first 5 as they are locked from sliding to read the remaining. NOT sure WHY????

#1 Match 4- making of 20 matches of 4 marbles
#2 Match 5- making of 10 matches of 5 marbles
#3 Zen Marbles- complete 20 levels w/o power wheel
#4 Bomadier- use of 4 bombs in the game
#5 Power User-use power wheel 10 times
Each achievement keeps count of your totals.

The goal is to match all marbles with the puzzle pieces on them. Each level a piece was added to a 9 piece puzzle in the top left. You must create matches of three or more of the other colored marbles so that those marbles will be turned to smoke vapors. Marbles in the bowl must be touching to count as a match 3 or more but when dropping the marble I found the marbles in the bowl were not always quite touching but when I dropped the marble they disappeared.

Hopefully this game will appeal to marble shooter lovers who also enjoy being timed. I along with many of the other reviewers wish it had a un-timed version as I may have enjoyed playing the game longer than the demo time. Maybe but not likely.

MagicMark
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MagicMark on Aug 28, 12 9:50 AM
When I think of a game from the Orient with the sound of peaceful water flowing, my mind thinks of Zen and things that are tranquil. Well, apparently this is not what the developer had in mind. Since you are timed and there is no choice for a Zen or relaxed mode. Not to mention the fact that you are given a bonus for finishing with less time on the clock. For a game that is all about time, why does the atmosphere completely contradict it? After only a few levels, you'll encounter the hourglass, and find yourself repeating it over and over again just to unlock the next level. And the premise of dropping marbles is nothing new, and it gets repetitive very quickly.

Edited on 08/28/2012 at 9:56:32 AM PST

GeorgeTSLC
Manatee
Manatee
3,919 Posts

Re: Reviews for Jar of Marbles II: Journey to the West

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Aug 28, 12 9:59 AM
Having read the reviews (thanks, y'all!), I'm not even going to bother downloading, so I can't say for sure. I'm betting that if there's not the usual "Not you? Click here!" message on the first screen, you can just click on the name displayed ("Player", "Owner", or whatever) to access a profile and add another or change the existing one.

But if not, it must be just another place where the developers have broken that which needed no fixing.

mtvoyager
Herring
Herring
318 Posts

[Post New]by mtvoyager on Aug 28, 12 10:33 AM
I didn't like the timed mode and on one I just finished it but lost because the timer went out just after I finished and wouldn't acknowledge that I finished. I would have liked this game if there was no timer.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Aug 28, 12 3:33 PM
Well, I love marbles, and therefore purchased the game with a credit I bought. Very colorful game, and gets challenging as you move along. Only one thing... I wish the clinking of the marbles sounded more like glass marbles. Other than that, great little game.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 28, 12 3:47 PM
Another shooting marble game - child's game - No Way No How

nicedoggie
Starfish
Starfish
40 Posts

[Post New]by nicedoggie on Aug 28, 12 9:35 PM
Hi Fishies and Big Fish~!
I loved this game until I found out it was timed~! Did use the extra time I had and still lost~!! ROF
Too Bad~! I wanted to buy this game for sure and ????? Then checked on the Forum and saw for sure it was a "TIMED GAME" !
I was rushing at the end of my "end" when I lost and was told to try again, this is something I don't need to play to relax after a long day at work.
Change the time element and I would love to relax and BUY IT FOR SURE~!
Thanks for the Forum and Big Fish Games are really Great!~XOXOXO
Hope you guys change this game!

[Post New]by LisaMockingbird on Aug 29, 12 9:05 AM
I agree with a lot of posters. I loved mindless relaxing marble popping of Jar 1 while chatting on skype with friends for several weeks.
This one has pretty new marbles and I love dragons.

BUT:
The timer totally ruins the game. When you play marble popping its more about just zoning out letting go of stress - not adding more stress with hurry up!!!! finish NOW... sorry Pass. If they added an option to turn off the timer - would buy for certain.

Edited on 08/29/2012 at 9:05:45 AM PST

endofmonth
Guppy
Guppy
135 Posts

[Post New]by endofmonth on Aug 29, 12 1:26 PM
Yes, very nice game. Fun to play, a bit challenging, beautiful graphics.

However, I have to agree, the timed aspect gets frustrating. Devs, please add an untimed option!

cagamenut
Guppy
Guppy
154 Posts

[Post New]by cagamenut on Aug 29, 12 1:54 PM
I'm so glad that I checked the forum before even downloading. I was ready to buy because the first one was a great mindless game if one couldn't sleep. Timed? No thank you!! I'm not even going to bother with the trial.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Aug 29, 12 5:09 PM
Not sure why this game got 3/5 stars, quite boring game

Not for me, sorry

2/5 stars

Go to: