Mohlin
Lobster
Lobster
80 Posts

To developers : Hints with the green and red tiles - puzzles.

[Post New]by Mohlin on Aug 28, 12 9:36 AM
I quite enjoy puzzles like the "fill the whole area with green tiles". There are a few of them and they keep on getting harder and harder (more red tiles).
But if you click on the hint, it solves the whole puzzle. No - I did not click "skip", it was just a hint.
I would like a "this is the first tile/row/colum" type of hint. Not the solution.

mrbroadway1
Flounder
Flounder
2,168 Posts

Re:To developers : Hints with the green and red tiles - puzzles.

[Post New]by mrbroadway1 on Feb 8, 13 8:04 PM
I had the exact same problem with the last fill in the tiles puzzle. I just wanted a hint in the right direction but when I clicked hint it solved the whole thing. I was SO disappointed. I really wanted to figure it out for myself with just a gentle nudge in the right direction. Oh well. This didn't happen the few other times I used the hint button. It would just provide one step like turn over one tile in the puzzles where you couldn't have the same color or gem in a horizontal or vertical row. By the way, those puzzles nearly drove me nuts. There were no hard and I just couldn't see the solution to save my life.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Feb 8, 13 9:55 PM
If you have the discipline not to stare and memorize the solution then the Strategy Guide is usually good for "a gentle nudge in the right direction." Many puzzles that were frustrating (like the hardest green/red tile ones) had me scratching my head too but the SG (if you got the CE) or the walkthrough (if you got the SE) allowed me to take just a very quick peek to finally help me go in the right direction with a puzzle. I didn't want to know the whole solution so I didn't linger on the picture but most times this was just enough to get me started and allow me to figure out the rest after the first move. No need to spoil it completely for yourself if the hint is a full solve.

mrbroadway1
Flounder
Flounder
2,168 Posts

[Post New]by mrbroadway1 on Feb 9, 13 9:55 AM
Usually, I do just take a peak at the waklthrough but in this case, the hint was great up until that point. It just gave you a gentle nudge. That's why I just hit the hint buttom. It saved me the trouble of having to exit the game and look at the walkthough. Instead,suddenly, this time, the hint button solved the puzzle for me. I certainly wouldn't have hit the hint button if I knew it was going to do that. It was an unpleasant and very dissapointing surprise to say the least. Oh well. Thanks for your reply OrionsRose.

[Post New]by OrionsRose on Feb 10, 13 1:00 AM
No prob! I know how it feels to "kill a post" I didn't want you to be left hanging.

Seems everyone's hint systems are quite different, like you noticed, this can even happen within the same game or series by the save devs. A bummer, I agree.

Hopefully whatever you play next will be more enjoyable for you.

Go to: