bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Monument Builders: Statue of Liberty

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 29, 12 12:41 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Monument Builders: Statue of Liberty? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Monument Builders: Statue of Liberty page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Monument Builders: Statue of Liberty

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Aug 29, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Aug 29, 12 1:12 AM
Morning, all...

Gmac warned me. Oh yes, she did. Did I listen? Nope.

Well, this is the third instalment of "Monument Builders".

Is this one any better than the last two? Having played this one for a short time, I have to say that I would rather buy the last two games than this one, and I didn't like the last two games.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is a kind of widescreen, where the borders are in a different colour - better than nothing.

The game colours are garish - they are just not acceptable to my sense of good taste.

There is the voice of a raven constantly cawing over and over.

Gameplay is exactly as it was in the last two games.

Not much more I can say, except that it's a "no-buy" for me.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 29, 12 1:27 AM
I was not impressed with the first MB but for graphics reasons- the second MB had me hooked and I went back and bought the first- most addictive and fun games I played all year..

I love these games and the challenge to make the goals and snapped this up instantly-

give them a chance and you if you like a challenge will find yourself addicted too.

I hope there are more games like this

Edited on 08/29/2012 at 1:28:06 AM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Aug 29, 12 1:32 AM
Not much to add to what Valdy has already said on this tiresome game.

Like the last two games, I thought the objectives were unclear and confusing.

The graphics are a mess, and I just wonder how many more "monuments" are lined up for us in this repetitious and boring series.

Sorry, like the last two, no buy for me, either.

Mif_
Squid
Squid
70 Posts

[Post New]by Mif_ on Aug 29, 12 1:37 AM
I really like the two previous games, and I like this new installment.

It is classic resource management where you clear roads, build productions unit, hire workers, etc. to meet the goals. The game play is basically the same, but a series of improvements have been made on the mew MB. Graphics has been greatly improved, game controls made easier, better introduction tutorial, additional tasks, etc. My biggest complaint is (still) the repetitive goals even though the master builder with his additional tasks has been added.
I have played the first 10 level and it seems the game has become a little easier, which I regret, but that might appeal to players new to this series and genre.

If you liked the previous ones, you should definitely try this out. Same game play with improved graphics and controls. If you are new this series or type of game, it might just be a fun introduction.

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Aug 29, 12 1:55 AM
I have bought the game, both because I liked the first two installments of the series and because Valdy doesn't like it - I know my taste is just opposite to hers, so whatever game she doesn't like must be a great one to play.

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 29, 12 2:15 AM
thanks b00kworm- I am also enjoying it- seems it starts a bit easier than the first two but still loads of fun completing the goals- and I am sure will get more challenging in later levels

bella81762
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
24,424 Posts

[Post New]by bella81762 on Aug 29, 12 4:59 AM
I really like the monument series of building games,, its got the building and clearing I adore, and with this series, you also get to learn about historical monuments,
You have to plan ahead early in the level, especially when fixing a path for your deliveries, fix the wrong path, and you might wind up with not enough materials to fix more roads,
As usual the timer is very forgiving, and is only for a gold silver or bronze medal, you can continue after time runs out.

If you like builders as i do, be sure to leave a star review, so BFG and devs see how popular they are becoming.

wxman77477
Clownfish
Clownfish
557 Posts

[Post New]by wxman77477 on Aug 29, 12 6:37 AM
I really like "build" TM games. This is not the best, but well worth $7. I think it is the best of the Monument Builders series. On the first two, there were one or two levels that really required no strategy, you just had to be able to click very, very fast for extended periods. Very hard for me. Just give me a chance to use logic to win, not my capability to click fast.

Edited on 09/04/2012 at 10:52:43 AM PST

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,050 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Aug 29, 12 6:40 AM
I had bought the first one with a coupon but (because it was bought on the same day as All My Gods and the awaited sequel for The Island: Castaway - end of a month so I made several purchases in one go to complete a punchcard), I'm ashamed to say that I forgot about it completely and never went back to play it .

When MB: Titanic came out I downloaded it but hadn't got around to the demo yet, somehow thinking (obviously wrongly!) that I hadn't been that taken with the first one.

So when I saw the comments above (especially Govegril's first one - thanks ), I decided I should download this one right away, despite being more in the mood for traditional Strategy/TM than road clearing ones just now.

And I am pleasantly surprised to say that I really like it!

I like that strategy (such as the order in which you do things, whether to buy that extra worker or save the gold for some urgent building or road improvement) really matters here.

Then there are little details such as how workers can get past poor roads to get to carry out tasks, but wagons of resources cannot. & the wagon idea itself is something that I've only seen in this series and it makes a pleasant change - not using worker time to collect the resources produced by my buildings. I guess anyone reading that may wonder how that is better than automatically receiving the resources but it is (IMO) better because, otherwise, the state of the roads would not need to be taken into account as part of the strategy.

I can say exactly when I decided to buy ........... about 25-30 minutes in when I missed gold the first time on level 1-6 and had to replay it doing things in a different order.

Now I just need the new month to arrive so that I can start a new punchcard (and if it comes with an SE BOGOFF sale, even better as I now have 3 good TMs waiting to buy (each worth a credit) that I'd love to pair up with some games of other genres that I don't want to use a credit on but would lap up as the free ones in such a sale) but I guess I can play my newly discovered MB: Eiffel Tower in the meantime .

My recommendation - give it a try, even if you think you are not in the mood for it - you may be pleasantly surprised too.

MagicMark
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by MagicMark on Aug 29, 12 6:59 AM
First the Eiffel Tower, then the Titanic and now the Statue of Liberty.

It's the same game with the same graphics, same sound effects, and same game-play. I guess France, England, and New York all look identical.

Unlike the real history of the the Statue of Liberty which was comprised of 350 pieces placed in 219 crates and shipped over the Atlantic as a gift from France to the United States. The developers here have conveniently rewritten history to have the Americans construct the statue from scratch in New York.

I wonder what next monument will be? Though I can predict it will have the same reused graphics, old sound effects and the exact same game-play.
Just a different monument with the same old tired game engine.

Maybe the Empire State Building?
Oops, did I say that out loud?
Oh, I hope they're not listening.

Edited on 08/29/2012 at 8:22:44 AM PST

govegril
Stingray
Stingray
5,727 Posts

[Post New]by govegril on Aug 29, 12 8:10 AM
I hope they do the Sydney Opera House

b00kworm
Clownfish
Clownfish
912 Posts

[Post New]by b00kworm on Aug 29, 12 9:22 AM
I'm all for Neuschwanstein!

And even though it's the same mechanism, graphics have gotten better and the games still grab me.

VTCT
Clownfish
Clownfish
591 Posts

[Post New]by VTCT on Aug 29, 12 12:08 PM
Here are again with child's game how about giving us adults some games. I can see only about 2 a week & aren't we the ones that bill all the games.

SharonGia
Squid
Squid
73 Posts

[Post New]by SharonGia on Aug 29, 12 12:19 PM
I loved both previous Monument Builder games so was excited to see this one today.

Same concept but still fun to play. Yes, strategy is involved, even one early level I had to restart because I ran out of materials. I also love the facts about the monument as with the previous games.

Will definitely use a credit.

Sharon

MsHamster
Lobster
Lobster
87 Posts

[Post New]by MsHamster on Aug 31, 12 1:56 PM
Enjoyed the demo - lots of clicking when several buildings are producing - but nice to not need a worker to pick up the goods when they are ready. Requires a little planning and strategy, but not overwhelming (at least for the levels I could get though with the demo).

With the 1/2 off sale this weekend, might just have to pick this one up.

GloomySunday
Guppy
Guppy
167 Posts

[Post New]by GloomySunday on Sep 1, 12 5:31 AM
At first I didn't even bother to download this game, because I was so disappointed by the Titanic one, which was exactly the same as the Eiffel Tower one. Still, I was bored yesterday and so downloaded the Statue of Liberty one anyway, not expecting to like it. (I loved the Eiffel Tower game, but I hate it when developers sell more or less the same game three times with a different name).

Well, what I can say: I enjoyed it tremendously! Granted, most of it is the same, but they did make some changes, and there is not really that much that can be changed in this concept.

The level goals are different this time. That's not a big innovation, in fact that should be a given, but at least this time they did it. The main graphics are the same, but if I remember correctly, in Eiffel Tower the town itself (the buildings not being used) looked more "French" and here they look more like 1880s New York. Not in big detail, but the touch is there.

An addition I like, and which could have been used far more, was helping the master builder with little extra tasks. I played 12 levels, I think, and so far there were only two with a real task. In one level, fulfilling that task was even necessary because it gave one the gold needed to take care of the other tasks. So I liked that, it added a new aspect to the game.

The bandits are still there , I could have done without them. So far, they at least don't move, but I guess the moving thieves will appear at a later level.

I liked the background music a lot. Usually I don't even notice the music in games much, but this one was fun. I also had a feeling gameplay a tiny bit quicker in pace than previously, but that could have been my imagination.

So, sure, no impressive innovations, but at least some, and for me it was enough to enjoy the game. A buy for me.

[Post New]by RowanGolightly on Sep 2, 12 10:44 PM
Perhaps I just don't *get* this sort of game, although I really enjoyed (and have played and replayed) Palace Builder. I was hoping this one would be like that, with some direction as to *how* one is the do things, to acquire the skills to succeed.

No. This one frustrates me, necessitating restarting the level time after time until mostly by dumb luck, I can figure out what skill I need in order to do achieve that level's goals.

Sorry I bought this. I DO NOT RECOMMEND IT>.

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
333 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Sep 8, 12 1:20 PM
Very nice and long game play. Took me a few days of off and on play to finish. Really get your monies worth on these builder games, which I've recently become a fan of. This is just another one, added to my collection.

Go to: