popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Art of Murder: FBI Confidential group play starting 1st September. All welcome to join

[Post New]by popla27 on Sep 1, 12 1:15 AM
Welcome everyone to the group play of Art of Murder: FBI Confidential. As with every group play, we are here to play and chat about the the game. We can share our successes and rant about our frustrations and everyone is welcome!

Large File games are great fun but can be difficult and at times very frustrating. At these times when playing alone it can be so very easy to just close the game, never to return to it, thinking perhaps these games aren't for you or are boring as you never get anywhere.

This is where group play comes in! In a group play we all play our own game at our own pace and chat about the game. This is often in the form of an update on how you are progressing, venting your frustrations as you are stuck, asking for some help with something you are stuck with, offering hints to those who have requested it and just generally talking about your likes/dislikes of the game.

The first thing most people ask when they are joining a group play is "what are the rules". Well we only have 2 'rules' here. These are:

1. This is not a race!
Everyone plays at their own pace. You may find yourself behind the other players or perhaps in front of the other players. You may find that some days you can't play much or any of your game. This is all completely fine! There is no need to feel rushed or that you should slow down. We are here only to play and enjoy the game!

2. Any and all spoilers need to be whited out
We all play at our own pace and a lot of players like to work things out themselves or at least try to before asking for help. So as not to spoil the game experience for anyone we respectfully request that ALL spoilers are whited out. This gives everyone the choice of whether to read the comments or not. If in doubt white it out!

Do not be afraid to ask, there is no such this as a silly question here!

Everyone is welcome!
Whether you are new to LF games or a seasoned gamer, never played this game before or played it a dozen times it doesn't matter. Everyone is welcome to play along with us, the more the merrier!

We put up a list of players so that we can see who our play pals are and how they are progressing (whether playing or finished) so when you start playing please pop in and say hi. I will then add you to the players list.

We love helpers in group plays!
If you have played the game before and would like to help out with hints or tips when they are requested, then please let us

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 6:07:39 AM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Re:Art of Murder: FBI Confidential group play starting 1st September. All welcome to join

[Post New]by popla27 on Sep 1, 12 1:17 AM
Some quick tips to get started with Art of Murder:

Saving your game
As with all adventure games you need to manually save your game to keep your progress. This can be done by either pressing the escape key (Esc) when you are in the game or by clicking the briefcase in the lower right hand corner. Both of these methods will bring up the main menu screen and from here you can select save game.
As with all these types of games it is recommended to save often and don't just overwrite the same save. Make different saves, there are a number of slots for saves so why not make use of them!

Cursor Icons
The cursor changes to different icons to show that you can interact with the area in some way. A mouse with eye means that you can look at the item (this requires a right click). A mouse with hand means there is something to pick up or interact with. A cirle with arrow means you can walk to an area. A speech bubble means you can talk to a character in the game.

Other tips
Inventory items can be found at the bottom of the screen. I imagine that right clicking an item in inventory will have Nicole describe (look at) the item and left click will pick up the item. I can't be certain of this though as I haven't got anything in inventory yet!
Double clicking the left mouse button while Nicole is walking will make her run.
When Nicole is talking to another character, left clicking will speed up the dialogue/text.
The magnifying glass in the lower right of the screen is a hint button of sorts. This will highlight all exits on the screen. It will not highlight hotspots.

This really is just some brief tips of things I have found when starting the game. I am sure there will be other things to learn and discover and can be picked up as you play. If you have any questions regarding anything like this, don't hesitate to ask. Someone will know!!

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

Re:Art of Murder: FBI Confidential group play starting 1st September. All welcome to join

[Post New]by popla27 on Sep 1, 12 1:19 AM
Players List
Aquatic - Finished
Belladonna32 - Finished
Mr_Russ - Finished
luvetoread - Finished
sunshinej - Finished
Catfish_girl - Finished
mariannequilts - Finished
Jofer - Withdrawn
popla27 - Withdrawn
birdie5 - Finished
TideWaters - Finished
yve501 - Finished
twin_mom - Playing
gingergal - Finished
harlequen - Finished

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 11:26:03 AM PST

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Sep 1, 12 1:22 AM
Aquatic starting.

Belladonna32
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
20,941 Posts

[Post New]by Belladonna32 on Sep 1, 12 1:58 AM
Hi Popla and everyone joining in

Please count me in - will be starting this morning.

Aquatic
Clownfish
Clownfish
525 Posts

[Post New]by Aquatic on Sep 1, 12 1:59 AM
My game skipped the tutorial at the beginning.
No worries, Popla covers just about everything.
I did find that the magnifying glass highlights hotspots as well as exits.

If the first puzzle leaves you stuck in the dark, here are some tips:
The solution is random. There are 5 lights in the basement, but 4 is enough.
Click a switch, then step back to see the result.
You need to illuminate -- Left, 2 spots close to switch panel.
Right, 2 spots farthest away from switch panel.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 1, 12 2:05 AM
You can do the light switch puzzle by brute force. There are 2^5 (32) combinations. You have to step away to see the result after each setting.
Read all business cards etc in inventory for you to 'learn' any numbers on them.
Leaving the orangery for the first time, don't carry anything. You will need a vase a little later in the game.
Inventory items only become available on need (triggered).

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 1:55:50 PM PST

luvtoread
Manatee
Manatee
4,081 Posts

[Post New]by luvtoread on Sep 1, 12 2:52 AM
I have already started playing, nice to be revisiting a game.
I am at light switch puzzle.
So, time to go back and attempt to shed some light down
there.
Regarding the porter : He is definitely guilty. Bringing
up Nick's name made him immediately cooperative
:
Get back to him later!

sunshinej
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,313 Posts

[Post New]by sunshinej on Sep 1, 12 2:56 AM
Hi popla, Just starting.

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 1, 12 2:59 AM
Hint: remember that the phone number is upside-down! You'll know what I'm talking about when you get there.

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Sep 1, 12 3:22 AM
I am here too, a little busy right now and not feeling grand, so I expect my progress to be slow But I am here!

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 1, 12 3:40 AM
Re the lights - you don't actually need all five on at once. Two left - three right - two left works just as well.

mariannequilts
Flounder
Flounder
2,146 Posts

[Post New]by mariannequilts on Sep 1, 12 3:54 AM
Marianne is here and playing. Thanks so very much popla for the beautiful set-up. And thanks Mr_Russ for all the great tips.

CfG
...I'm sending to comfort you.

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 3:56:38 AM PST

Catfish_girl
Manatee
Manatee
3,605 Posts

[Post New]by Catfish_girl on Sep 1, 12 5:13 AM
@Mr_Russ Thanks for telling that not ALL the lights HAVE to be on, I could have been at this forever otherwise
BTW what's antialiasing????? It is set to none, but I could have changed it to 2,4,6 or 8 I believe

@marianne Thansk for sending me some

Like with Aquatic I didn't get a tutorial either but everything was in popla's write up, yay! So I am good

@popla Are you sure you didn't imagine that tutorial? ROFL

Mr_Russ
Whale Shark
Whale Shark
16,662 Posts

[Post New]by Mr_Russ on Sep 1, 12 5:23 AM
Anti-aliasing removes graphics "jaggies" - zig-zag outlines to an object's display. The higher the better.

Re the golden body - this may or may not be random, but for me the solution is always the same: empty left-hand vase. **

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 5:24:00 AM PST

Jofer
Shark
Shark
11,519 Posts

[Post New]by Jofer on Sep 1, 12 5:50 AM
Late start for me this morning - heading in now

ETA: ...and I'm back out of game. I won't be playing along with this one after all. Now I remember why I never played it through when I bought it. Driving me up the wall! I'll catch you guys on a different group play - have fun everybody!

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 6:09:07 AM PST

popla27
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by popla27 on Sep 1, 12 6:17 AM
There is no tutorial in this game and hence my second post. That's what I get for cut and pasting and not reading properly! Sorry guys, you aren't going crazy - I am!

Players List is updated

ETA: I have now removed offending text from first post!! LOL

Edited on 09/01/2012 at 6:22:54 AM PST

harlequen
Catfish
Catfish
1,724 Posts

[Post New]by harlequen on Sep 1, 12 6:32 AM
Good Morning everyone

I'm here, but need to eat some breakfast first, so that My eyes will open

Happy Gaming to All

abiloo
Shark
Shark
11,080 Posts

[Post New]by abiloo on Sep 1, 12 7:16 AM
Hi, i'm not playing but can assist, i'll check back now and again to see if anyone needs help as i played this only a few weeks ago.

XxXxXxXxXxXx

Grandmamum
Clownfish
Clownfish
662 Posts

[Post New]by Grandmamum on Sep 1, 12 7:28 AM
I'm here - not started yet and play will be a bit limited over the weekend, but hope to at least make a start later on.

Hope you feel better soon CFG

GMum xxx

Go to: