bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 6, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 6, 12 12:39 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 6, 12 12:46 AM
Well I tried half an hour or so. It didn't grab me much. It looks very nice and is obviously very well made but I found some of it irritating really. The way she stands at the side of the screen nodding all the time drove me nuts. It seems to play a little differently to most other games, like you are only helping rather than playing it for yourself. I dunno, I'll have to see what wife thinks. It's our 26th wedding anniversary today so she can have whatever she wants (just like every other day )

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 2:20:56 AM PST

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 6, 12 1:00 AM
Played 30 minutes casual

Very long intro to open the game.

- 3 modes Casual, advanced, expert
- Voice overs
- Note book
- No Map
- Integrated SG, doesn't show how many chapters in the game, stays on the page you leave
- You collect hints during the game (dream catchers)
- You collect detective badges as well, they unlock unlimited H0
- Screen moves sideways as you walk
- H0, you interact, clues for some objects, if you click on a name you get a silhouette of the object
- Skip button takes a long time to fill even in casual mode
- Only came across one mini game which was nothing new
- Very good graphics

A murder, brief glimpses of a past time, will we travel back ? Angelica Weaver, who you see at the bottom of you screen, is a bit annoying, nodding each time you do something right. Looks like a good game but I'm not sure I'll buy it. May be I should play more of the demo, felt left out as the play went on...

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 1:05:25 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 6, 12 1:08 AM
Morning, all...

There are 3 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of animated and non-animated custom cursor.

There is voice-over.

There is widescreen.

The Journal, SG (strategy guide), and the Menu are at the left.

Also at the left is your badge-counter. You have to find 40 police badges throughout the game to open the special Unlimited Hidden Objects play mode.

Forgot to mention: You will find badges everywhere, even in the close up puzzles and HOS. So be sure to look everywhere.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are interactive. Items in blue are hidden from sight; items listed in green describe objects with a clue rather than just giving its name.

The SG doesn't show you how many chapters there are. Nor can you jump to any of the chapters. You have to start from the beginning and go through it one page at a time.

The HINT button is at the right. You will find dreamcatchers throughout the game. Each dreamcatcher represents a HINT. Click on it, and a HINT will be added.

Don't worry if you run out of hints, and/or can't find any more dreamcatchers. You will still be able to use the HINT button - you just have to wait until it refills again, as it does with all other games.

Next to the HINT button is your detective. Both she and the HINT button are a little too far into the game's scene, I find.

At the bottom is your INVENTORY. A GOAL tab is next to it.

Graphics are very well done - in a slightly old-fashioned adventure game kind of way.

Sometimes you have to move sideways. So beware if you get motionsick, although it's not really bad - rather slow, in fact.

You will also find ACHIEVEMENTS on the main menu page.

--- --- ---

This game is more of an Adventure game with HOS thrown in here and there.

I didn't come across many puzzles during the hour I played the game. In fact, I only remember one.

I very much like this game, but would not consider it CE material. I will wait for the SE to come out.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 4:00:47 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 6, 12 1:35 AM
nothing else to say valdy has not before me ,just that the minigames i played (2 so far ) are the 2 arcade games i hate!following footprint among thousands of others or trying to put things one over one (trying first to put chairs on their feet?chair staying on their back and not on their feet!!!!!)to reach a window,not for me!
it remind me pushing again and again crates in a Gabriel knight game made ten years ago!!!
not a buy and certainly not as CE

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 6, 12 1:37 AM
and ,yes,the woman in right corner is bad idea!too big!

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 6, 12 2:06 AM
When I first saw the screen shots on the game's page, I wasn't expecting a lot. Then I watched the preview video which tells about a "gristly" murder----and I was expecting even less. But I was wrong as could be----it's a perfect example of why you should always try the game as provided by !! The game is a winner!!

First, it's from one of my favorite developers (whose name I can't say here) that is responsible for the excellent "Midnight Mysteries" series, the "Samantha Swift" games, "Pickers", the outstanding "Luxor" (marble poppers) group of games, and several other high quality games. And the high quality continues here.

This is a murder mystery/time travel sort of game that you must play for a good while to get into----but the payoff is worth it. Suffice to say that some ways in you find yourself in London in September of 1888 which is when Jack the Ripper was terrorizing Whitechapel.

The game itself has many features to like:
-as with all the games from this dev, there is Widescreen. (which they began doing, like all the big time devs, a long time ago)
-the graphics are excellent, and the mechanics are very smooth.
-There are a ton of things to collect, and there are lots of achievements to aspire to.

Others have summed up the other particulars very nicely so I won't repeat all that, but ,for me, this is a must buy.

Keep in mind that this game needs a little time to get going, so at the least, avail yourself of the full hour trial!

BearKat
Stingray
Stingray
4,860 Posts

[Post New]by BearKat on Sep 6, 12 4:15 AM
I am enjoying this game very much and I am in complete agreement with cbtx, even to not thinking much of it when I looked at the screen shots and video.

The gameplay is smooth, the graphics IMO are great, and I find the story very interesting. I was a little put off at first with Angelica nodding down in the corner, however, once I got caught up in the story she did not bother me at all. I find the music to be IMO theme appropriate.

The hints will find a specific object or tell you what to do next.
It refills over time (didn't use any hints, don't know how long it takes) and the Dream Catchers you find can be used instantly or to accumulate hints.

Things to collect, achievements to win, interesting story, extras (with usual exceptions) available immediately on purchase, it's all here for me.

A big Thank You Devs for making the extras (wallpapers, screensavers, etc.) available immediately upon purchase. It is very much appreciated!

As always you must try it for yourself and decide, but, it is a must buy for me also!

Happpy Gaming All!
BK

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 5:28:35 AM PST

lovely62
Clownfish
Clownfish
731 Posts

[Post New]by lovely62 on Sep 6, 12 5:38 AM
This game has man twist and turns a very well put together I love this game i know in the future I will buy this game..Thx Dev;s for all your hard work and time you spent on this excellent ame..the Graphics are beautiful and the sounds are great..thx BF..

caput
Guppy
Guppy
118 Posts

[Post New]by caput on Sep 6, 12 5:49 AM
I've played about twenty minutes and just don't want to play any more. The Angelica figure is too large and really annoying after only a few minutes. The game line is just not grabbing me at all so this is a definite no buy for me.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Sep 6, 12 6:08 AM
Interesting game, nice graphics, but while I don't mind the girl nodding at you, I think it could be a littler bit smaller.

Now, the story is interesting, a murder mystery investigation that have a nice twist.

I like it but is not a game that I and dying to buy right now.

I will keep it in my to buy list.

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
654 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Sep 6, 12 6:51 AM
Review after playing part of the demo:

Other posters have already given quite good reviews re the "mechanics", etc of the game so I won't repeat them.

The game seems interesting although I did not like the long intro. It didn't seem as if it were needed since no info other than "scenes" was given - and no way I would be able to remember all the twists and turns! It takes way too long to skip the puzzle of ties although I did finish it since I had to wait anyway. The "goal" button is awfully close to the HO lists and bottom of the screen...I exited more than once when I wanted to look at the goal.

Not sure about this game as a CE. I will play the rest of the demo then decide if I want to put it in my list for SE if it is released as such.

Nortank
Lobster
Lobster
86 Posts

[Post New]by Nortank on Sep 6, 12 7:26 AM
I have now played through the game and the bonus chapter. The game is really long and the graphics are very well done. As another poster said, the figure on the bottom right was a bit annoying to begin with, but I got so caught up in the game, that I stopped noticing her. I was a bit more annoyed with the long time it took to be able to skip some of the mini-games.

The HOs are very well done - a great big mess to search in, a little riddle or two and interactivity. There was nothing teeny-tiny - I especially appreciate that.

The story had lots of twists and turns, and, as expected from this developer, a touch of humor here and there.

I am glad I bought the CE and am kind of sorry I have finished it. It is definitely a game I will replay.

Tundei
Clownfish
Clownfish
653 Posts

[Post New]by Tundei on Sep 6, 12 7:32 AM
Loved the intro, great graphics! This game kept me interested for the whole demo, so it's a definite buy. Waiting for reviews on game length and bonus chapter.
Good job developers! /but I wish there is a way to make the girl disappear/

Sheerija
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,451 Posts

[Post New]by Sheerija on Sep 6, 12 7:43 AM
REVIEW OF COMPLETED GAME
This is a good solid game. It is well thought out and put together and they have honed the mechanics to perfection. The graphics are a little monotonous - nothing remarkable to look at throughout, but they are acceptable.

It has a good story, very interesting indeed, and keeps you well informed all the way, as to what is happening and how it is all piecing together. The ending is quite a mind-blower. Something I was not expecting at all. It had quite an impact on me. They have not used any of the usual puzzles that are so recurring in other games, and that's refreshing. The HOS are well done and interactive and I quite enjoyed them because there's not an over-abundance.

However, there is just something lacking about it. It does not have the wow factor and the fun factor is quite minor. I would expect a game of this quality to pack more of a punch and it didn't do that for me.

There are badges to collect for which the reward is unlimited HO mode. I do not consider that much of a reward. To earn hints you must collect all the dreamcatchers. These are very useful as they lead you through the locations to the one you need and show you where and what to use for it.

It is a very fair length at 6 hrs all inclusive and the BC is a good one. It is after the BC that the suprise ending comes, so I don't know how that will work out for the SE.

I found it worth playing, but it has to be taken in the spirit it was intended, in that it is different. That difference will be appreciated by some and not so much by others, given what I've been reading. If they could have incorporated a little more flair and excitement into it, it would have been much better received.

Nice workmanship, devs, but just a little on the dull side.

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 7:46:13 AM PST

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Sep 6, 12 7:54 AM
I like it - have played 1/2 of demo (got through the puzzle with the bricks) and I like it. It is different and, at first, I thought there was that whole "move around the room from side to side" thing and that always makes me dizzy.... but it was only a little and didn't really bother me.

I have to agree that the girl nodding her head is annoying, but I can ignore her.

Accumulated 6 hints and only had to use 1 so that's better than I expected, based on the reviews.

Really like that the SG is "inside" the game - no exiting to the menu. It opens/closes easily and has clear information.

Do wish there was a map..... but navigation hasn't been a problem, at least 30 min into the game - may get more complex as I progress.

Overall, it's been fun and different. I'm good with that! Thanks developers,

I have one gripe (and don't think its a spoiler): when you enter the garage, there is a loom. The warp threads seem go over the beater.... and, friends, it just doesn't work that way! These games never get weaving and spinning right - wish they'd just leave those things out, it they don't understand them. Sort of like having to look for a wrench in a HObj game and the actual item is a pair of pliers... completely wrong!

Okay, ranting time is up and I'm off the buy this game - I continue to be a CE junkie!

eigus
Starfish
Starfish
47 Posts

[Post New]by eigus on Sep 6, 12 8:26 AM
i got pretty far into the game but when i tried to go to the train station it wanted me to check in first and there was nothing in the strategy guide on how to do this it just said to take the badge and the rag so i bought another game with a flaw in it as nothing in the car helps

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 6, 12 9:01 AM
Well from reading the reviews and comments it looks like I am in the minority of people who like this game (which I am still playing) and I find this murder mystery story much more interesting to play than looking for lost relatives .

Apart from the story the other reasons I bought this particular CE were that I do like "gobbledegook games" and have their others and the fact that they made the extras available immediately after purchase so you could choose between 4 wallpapers and 3 screensavers before commencing play (other devs please take note).

When I first started I was, like others, annoyed by the detective keep nodding every time I did something right and I did think about propping a small book against the screen but I ended up not noticing her after a while as I got caught up in the story. Might I suggest if the devs want to keep her that they make her smaller and put her on the left of the journal instead of on the right of the inventory bar. There was just one other thing I wasn't keen on and that was the use of the wrench to show you that action needed taking. I am so used to a wrench being the item you use that I kept trying to use it and kept clicking on the screen . The sideways movement didn't bother me but I can understand it not suiting everyone so those that get a bit nauseous should demo it and see how they cope with it.

I like the puzzles I have done so far, especially the bricks (would have liked half bricks though ), and I even enjoyed the footprints although I did lose my way twice but I haven't skipped any ... yet ... touch wood but I have less hair after getting in the window .

I also like the fact that the game comes in sections so in your investigation you are only covering a few scenes each time and are not expected to go from one end of the game to the other just to use one item. I found that these small segments meant that I haven't needed the hint button ... yet ... touch wood ... because I was never far away from what needed finding or doing and consequently things were much easier to find than usual in adventure type games.

Devs ... Thanks for the widescreen, the collectables/collectibles (both spellings are correct in the UK ) and the choice of mode, I am playing in Advanced and enjoying it .

Cherb

ETA ... LOL Spoke too soon and had to use a hint .

Edited on 09/06/2012 at 11:41:52 AM PST

dancemom1
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,198 Posts

[Post New]by dancemom1 on Sep 6, 12 9:33 AM
After so many duds, it is nice to see something fairly nice. Not a bad game. Graphics okay, but not great, voice-overs good but would be nice if the mouth actually moved and not just the head. Head bobs up and down whenever you find something. Music okay. Not a lot of HOGs, but they are pretty clean.

I wasn't kicked out about this game, especially for a CE. I will probably wait for the SE, but not sure I want to waste my money or a credit. I'm sure others will enjoy.

Thanks for the reviews.

Go to: