bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Reviews for The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Sep 9, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBiwa

bfgBiwa
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,458 Posts

Re:Reviews for The Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus

[Post New]by bfgBiwa on Sep 9, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBiwa

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 9, 12 1:53 AM
This is an odd little game from a dev I don't remember seeing before, but I still found it to be intriguing.

The options are very limited (no widescreen), which seems like such a throwback, and the game starts out without much explanation as to what's actually going on----you just find yourself in an old house trying to see what might have happened to the owner. But in spite of this less than promising start, the game kicks into a higher gear and gets more and more interesting as you move along through the story.

You can collect as many as 25 "Eyes of whoever that Egyptian is", though I'm not sure what reward there is for doing so, if any. But it's a nice little extra something to do.

The hint button refills fairly quickly, and doesn't charge you if there's nothing to do at that location.

Graphics are clear, and the game mechanics are good.

I like these games that make you think a little, and this one does do that. Also, it appears to be of decent length. And it is (probably, not sure) from new devs. So for these reasons and the fact that I like the story, I'll buy this one.

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 1:56:22 AM PST

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 9, 12 1:58 AM

Definitely looks like a promising semi adventure H0G with nice graphics and an interesting story.

The atmospherics are great so far in the demo and the story, though at first appears to be repetitive to other games of the genre, takes some spins which I think will prove to be quite interesting and appealing.

There are achievement awards available to be collected with sliding tabs on the upper left of the screen announcing 'given' awards as well as special acheivement awards for collecting 25 Egyptian "Eye of Horus" which are hidden, scattered throughout the game. There are two modes of play depending on your difficulty (casual and advanced) preferences. Basic music and sound sliders available and it was full screen on my 22" wide monitor with great clarity on H0G and in general.

Looks like some really good/fun gaming potential with this one, so thanks BFG for this little treasure; looks like it will be a buy for me and I have a feeling I'm going to REALLY enjoy this one.... yay!

For now, it's so late it's early and I'll have to wait until tomorrow to delve into it further.

Enjoy everyone ~~ I have a feeling that I will for sure.

eta: clarity

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 2:23:01 AM PST

[Post New]by heatherington on Sep 9, 12 2:29 AM
This is a good game. I bought it. I found it challenging and frustrating, what more could you want? It took me almost the whole demo hour just to get out of the house and without the hint button, I would have never made it. I'm in the town now and enjoying things except for the fact that I could not find the pencil sharpener and lost my status as not using hints in hidden object scenes. But I can play it again now that I know where it is. Good graphics, although hand drawn, music isn't bad, I didn't have to turn the sound off. I'm having fun and it's a Sunday!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 9, 12 3:31 AM
Afternoon, all...

This game has 2 gameplay modes.

You only get the custom cursor.
There is no map, no widescreen, no voice-over.

When you click on the DIAMONDS on the left, you can see your ACHIEVEMENTS.

Next to the diamonds is the "Eye of Horus. Collect 25 of those to get the "Golden Eye of Horus" achievement.

At the right is your HINT button, which takes 60 seconds to refill in Easy mode. Hover over the green ball and you will see the seconds counting down.
The HINT button can also be used outside of the HOS (hidden object scenes)

Next to the HINT is your BOOK, which keeps a record of everything you find.

Puzzles can be skipped. Only came across one sor far, which was an easy one, so can't say how long it takes to fill. But from the look of it, it will take a while. *sigh*

Graphics are quite nicely done.

--- --- ---

Well, I am liking this game. What I really like are the HOS (which are not interactive). They are clear and clean and objects are large enough and easy enough to find. (And I love finding foody items, so that first HOS sold it to me. LOL)

This is a pleasant and easy and quiet sort of game. I am liking it. Off to get it.

--- --- ---

ADDITION: I kept the game in Window mode while typing my review. After finishing, I then exited the game, and my computer crashed. Needless to say, after that little heart-stopper I won't buy this game unless other fishies have problems and there will be a fix.

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 3:40:07 AM PST

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Sep 9, 12 4:18 AM
Fills my wide screen automatically. I have left and went back in without difficulty a couple of times...glad to have the walkthrough as I just think differently than the devs, lol. I did just now receive a performance alert of 100% CPU usage due to game. exe...but I went back into the game without difficulty. So far, this one seems like it is going to be a good one and a bit of a challenge.

belamba
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,058 Posts

[Post New]by belamba on Sep 9, 12 4:20 AM
I played the game in advanced mode. Had no tech issues with it.
The graphics were a bit blurry. Find it annoying to play the same HO scene twice, with all the objects you've previously found back again.

The story line was ok, and the music was in keeping with the atmosphere.
Hated the hint system that kept pointing to something you couldn't do, as you'd not got all the items required to complete the task. Had to wait a fair time to reuse the hint.

I enjoyed the game play - not too much tooing and froing, as each chapter was set separately from the previous one.
I completed the game in 3 hours (including the trial hour) and played all the puzzles without skipping. Puzzles were pretty run of the mill, and fairly easy to do.

I used a punch to get this game, and feel it was worthy of using one.
Inventory items to find in the scenes were very small in the main, but even with my poor eyesight I only missed a few!

Although a little dated by today's CE standards, one of the better SE games released over the last month or so.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Sep 9, 12 6:43 AM
The game starts with a very odd opening, I guess a dream, I am trying to see what the link is between the story and the tittle.

Dreamatorium of Dr. Magnus, this game gives me dejavu of a movie I have see, I forgot the name, so far just in name my mind connect the two.

Funny, the game just take you from room to room connecting the dots, quite interesting and very interactive, I am still trying to figure out what is all about.

For a SE I think the game is pretty good.

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 9, 12 8:05 AM
After about 40 minutes of the demo, I decided to use a punch a buy this game. Very glad I did. I agree with the other comments that this is a very good SE game and with a few additions would be CE worthy.

The graphics are great and I am in awe of the artists who can produce these types of graphics. The HO items are well defined and I am having no trouble at all finding them. I wish other developers would stop using teenie, tiny HOs. I really enjoy being able to find items without stressing over where they could be hidden and eventually having to use a hint.

I'm sorry that some of you are experiencing technical difficulties with the game but as for me, it is working very well with no issues.

In the end, I think if you purchase this game you will really like it.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 9, 12 9:12 AM
From a Serbian team who have also created a memory game for iphone comes this entertaining little gem. A nice mix of old and new with perhaps a little too much hand holding.
Opened in widescreen on both my laptop and desktop.
Clear graphics. H0s couldn't be cleaner. Bright colors in many scenes which is a nice change.
Love the fact that music does not run non-stop. Though the soundtrack is not bad at all silence is a blessing sometimes. (Must mention that the Deep Purple guitar solo thrown in made me laugh out loud!)
Puzzles fall to the very simple side.
"The Eye of Horus", which has turned up in hundreds of H0 scenes over the years, in this game becomes the hidden "collect 25" through out the game.
Linear game with an interesting story line.
Didn't use hint, no need really, so I have no idea how it works.
First chapter took, the game informed me, 40 minutes so it would seem about average length.
Definitely worth a credit.
It's a buy for me.
Good first effort in this genre Devs!

As always...try before you buy!
Happy gaming

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 9, 12 9:30 AM
belamba wrote: Find it annoying to play the same HO scene twice, with all the objects you've previously found back again.

Have to disagree with you on this point. I found the H0S memory retentive. My objects found on first search had not returned. I noticed on the first repeat as this is kind of a pet peeve with me.

¯\_(?)_/¯

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 9, 12 10:57 AM
A game from a new dev or from some devs who have formed their own company. Not quite certain. The graphics are okay. I am now in Chapter 3 so I have played the game to have some idea of the quality of the game. For an SE it is better than we have had in the past.

However, there are some irritating elements of this game. I have a very large monitor and even with this monitor, I am having trouble finding inventory items. I just found a light bulb which I will need in another portion of the game. Very frusrating. Also, I dislike having to solve puzzles only to receive some inane message and absolutely nothing which can be used in solving other puzzles. This game has been created differently than most games we have which are Adventure/Hog. Most games will provide needed inventory items once you have solved a HOG scene. This is not what happens in this game. The items are very, very tiny in some places. However, I was able to find the HOG items quite easily. Go figure on that one. It is almost as if two different people designed this game. There are no voice overs which I would expect from a new dev.

However, the bathroom scene was gross to say the least. Please try to make the scenes a less graphic. I have been in Europe many times and I understand that this may not be so unappealing there, but here it is disgusting, especially one that looks filthy. A nice lttle tribue to Tesla in the bar area. I believe these devs are from Eastern Europe so this man would be an icon to them.

You do have two modes of play. So if you find it difficult in locating items, you can also switch to an easier mode. The music is slightly annoying but this could be a cultural difference as well. In all, these devs are off to a good start. However, please understand that making items so small you cannot find them is very irritating to many. In a few words, not a bad game. I would expect to see a great game from these devs in the future.

laraly
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
428 Posts

[Post New]by laraly on Sep 9, 12 11:02 AM
Nice and relaxing investigative game, sharp graphics and vivid colors, not too difficult minigames, hints recharge fast, nice ambiance and story, it's on my list!

Edited on 09/09/2012 at 11:03:21 AM PST

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 9, 12 11:24 AM
I enjoyed the game play and it was new and different. The hints reloaded fast for me and puzzles were enjoyable. Liked the music and graphics weren't that bad either. A nice game for a gloomy Sunday. Will have to think about if I want to buy or not?

Daisy_48
Seahorse
Seahorse
25 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_48 on Sep 9, 12 12:10 PM
I must say that I'm really pleased with this game!
At first glance, I thought it was just another one, however after a while it caught me and I couldn't let go of it anymore. I LOVE graphics, it is bright and colorful for a change. Storyline is very interesting and all in all it's a very pleasant surprise!

Thanks to BFG and devs!

angelfishp
Catfish
Catfish
1,600 Posts

[Post New]by angelfishp on Sep 9, 12 12:13 PM
This is a nice game by developers I have never heard of. The graphics are good and I had no problem finding the objects in the HOS. I found the music rather nice. I like trying to earn achievements. The one complaint I have is the game takes forever to load. A lot of my demo time was spent waiting. I have it on my maybe list for the end of the month.

ediegamer
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

[Post New]by ediegamer on Sep 9, 12 1:18 PM
Ran out of patience waiting for game to load. Then, when it finally did load, I hit "Play" and really got exasperated waiting for it to load again. Thought my trial would expire before it finally loaded! Sorry - not for me....

rara3462
Guppy
Guppy
108 Posts

[Post New]by rara3462 on Sep 9, 12 1:38 PM
ediegamer wrote:Ran out of patience waiting for game to load. Then, when it finally did load, I hit "Play" and really got exasperated waiting for it to load again. Thought my trial would expire before it finally loaded! Sorry - not for me....

My thoughts exactly,

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,975 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Sep 9, 12 1:57 PM
I finished the game!!!
I agree with some people who said it's a nice game but also irritant some times, because many times I supposed I had glitches...Now, after I finished I read is some walktrough
When I finished, the screen exited and came again the game to start to play. I mean, I couldn't see my achievements, neither my profile. (This is happening my 1st.time!)
I managed to find only 16 of 25 of the "Eye of Horus", I didn't know if you can play extra puzzles if you find all of them .
Overall, is a pleasant game, hope the devs. will improve on the next games, and I used my last credit game. Very relaxing for a Sunday!!!
Thanks BF, and happy gaming!

Go to: