bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper ? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Sherlock Holmes VS Jack the Ripper

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 12, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 12, 12 1:10 AM
For those fishies who have been calling for a large file adventure game, here's one for you. And the game is fantastic.

Of course, it's point and click pure adventure, but I believe it is head and shoulders above any of the other Sherlock Holmes games. Really, there's this one and all the rest. But be warned (I'm surprised BFG has no disclaimer), this one is full of disturbing, bloody, and graphic scenes----not for the sqeamish at all.

The dialogue (voiceovers) are the best I've heard in any game. (certainly professional)

I thought the graphics depicting the London of 1888 were excellent----very dark and gloomy----and sets the tone for the events of the game.

There is the usual Holmes method of deductive reasoning which can be a little frustrating but it is based on the wit and intelligence of Holmes himself.

And, of course, from a historical perspective, this is one of the most perplexing mysteries of all, and this one doesn't disappoint at all. If you have any interest at all in the Ripper case, this one is a must.

So go ahead, turn out the lights, wait till everyone else has gone to bed, and give this one a go. Highly recommended.

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
804 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Sep 12, 12 2:55 AM
Played this game years ago. This is another retread like Siberia. However, it is a very good game if you like adventure games. I believe this was the last of a series of games by the dev. The graphics are not as good to me as Siberia, however not bad. There is older technology here as well. However, a decent game if you like adventure. And....no HOG scenes.

hbgroadends
Guppy
Guppy
147 Posts

[Post New]by hbgroadends on Sep 12, 12 3:28 AM

Edited on 09/12/2012 at 4:51:59 AM PST

edmee1947
Clownfish
Clownfish
629 Posts

[Post New]by edmee1947 on Sep 12, 12 3:48 AM
you can disable it by playing as "third person" and the game become a point-and-click
i agree that the graphics are not as good as syberia which was older about 7 years!
and i know that the dev 'll publish a 4th one in last september

jojo_the_joyful
Salmon
Salmon
2,761 Posts

[Post New]by jojo_the_joyful on Sep 12, 12 4:00 AM
Hi all.

Despite my reservations I have just played the entire demo with out a problem and will be off to buy very shortly.

This is not the sort of game you can enjoy if you rush through it. There is quite a long opening dialogue which sets the scene. The voice overs are quite bemusing. Sherlock Holmes sounds like the main character from Vampireville (The one who looks like Kenau Reeves LOL) but there after the voices are horrendous. The cockney accents make D1ck Vandyke in Mary Poppins sound like a true native to Bow.

The graphics are great too as are the animations. The people are as good as any sims 3 NCP's I have ever encountered.

This is a very grusome game though. When the first lady was murdered, you got to hear everything. Also you have to read some stomach churning news and police reports.

If you right click the screen your options come up, notes, inventory and map etc. The map is a God send as you can instantly jump to places from it. It took me a while to work that out and I spent a long time wandering around London totally lost(Not for the first time either).

I have come across 1 puzzle and had to deduct and solve the evidence.

The hint system is activated by pressing the space bar to show active area's but I could have done with a bit more instruction, as for example although I solved the puzzle i have done, I had to guess the format the solution would take.

So I am very pleased with it. Thank you.

Laflamme
Stingray
Stingray
4,512 Posts

[Post New]by Laflamme on Sep 12, 12 4:00 AM
This game is in no way a Big Fish Exclusive - it was released on August 14 2009 and I believe in no way that it hasn't been sold anywhere since then.

It's a true adventure "Large File" game, and while I did not play it I'd like to give you the verdict of the largest gaming magazine in Germany, Gamestar.

Graphics: 6/10

well done facial grahics
sometimes detailed environments...
...mostly dismal though
choppy animations

Sound 6/10

( mostly fitting German voices - n/a for the version presented here I guess)
atmospheric music...
...that you don't hear very often
few ambiance sounds

Game Balance 8/10

riddles mostly solvable through hints and trial and error
minigames
sometimes lacking hints

Atmosphere 7/10

Whitechapel area appears fittingly desolate
"Detective-Flair"
always the same people on the streets
often too dark

Handling 8/10

hot spots (via Space bar)
dialogs skipable
interactive map
isometric perspective sometimes unclear

Length of Game 8/10 (10 hours)

fitting length
Holmes and Watson investigate separately
you spend a lot of the game time in too few locations

Plot 8/10

interesting adaptation of the Ripper story
some surprises
logic deductions
unnerving side riddles

Riddles 7/10

mostly logical and fitting
searching and analyzing of clues
strongly linear
some riddles seem out of place

Dialog 8/10

determined
you'll almost always get useful hints
no dialog riddles

Characters 7/10

Watson very well done
authentic side characters
Sherlock not egocentric enough

Total: 73 points / "Good"

"A masterful Detective despite sub par graphics"

Technical Aspects:

Minimum: 2,0 GHz Intel / XP 1900+ AMD processor, 512 MB Ram, 3 GB hard disk
Standard: 2,4 GHz Intel / XP 2200+ AMD Processor, 1 GB Ram, 3 GB hard disk
Optimum: 3,0 GHz Intel / XP 2800+ AMD processor, 2 GB Ram, 3 GB hard disk

Resolutions: 4:3, 5:4, 16:9, 16:10

Sound: Stereo

for advanced players

nomatt
Herring
Herring
377 Posts

[Post New]by nomatt on Sep 12, 12 7:03 AM
I played this a few years back and thought it was one of the best games I've played. All the historical facts are true and you do get to 'solve' the jack the ripper case. I thoroughly enjoyed it. Not new though eh? Still, a great game that covered all the Whitechapel murders.

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,581 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 12, 12 7:14 AM
I too purchased this game for a much higher price many years ago. I loved the whole series from this dev and scooped them up as they were released. Good long adventure with a quite factual but gruesome realism to the story. This one will take you a few days to get through. I highly recommend it!!

As always, Try before you buy!

Happy Gaming

darksprires
Squid
Squid
77 Posts

[Post New]by darksprires on Sep 12, 12 10:53 AM
When I opened the game I had reservations as it took a long time to start. The game felt old and clunky and now, having seen a few comments, I find it was old. The controls didn't handle well and I had a problem trying to get out of the darn game. I didn't see a menu button and control/ult/delete won't work. Escape does, though.

I didn't like the scene of the victim being strangled to death and then disemboweled, though the last bit was off camera. I don't see how this adds to any enjoyment factor. It is just canned nasty and should be cut.

I didn't see the point of the developers delivering a little homily via Dr Watson about smoking cigarettes to Sherlock, who is clearly smoking one. I don't see what it had to do with an adventure game, or about Sherlock Holmes, who smoked a pipe. I am not even sure filter tip smokes were available in that time period.

Given the unnecessary violence and moralizing, I discontinued after ten minutes and have deleted the game on the basis that it was old, clunky and terrible.

lsteiner
Starfish
Starfish
41 Posts

[Post New]by lsteiner on Sep 12, 12 4:29 PM
If I want to watch a movie, I will watch a movie....I would prefer to play a game!!!!

katbear50
Clownfish
Clownfish
551 Posts

[Post New]by katbear50 on Sep 12, 12 11:41 PM
Played this at least 3 years ago when it 1st came out as software for the PC.
I would recommend it for Advanced Players, and yes this is a Large File Adventure Game,
so don't confuse it with all the run-of-the-mill HOG/IHOG/FROG...whatever games that seem to be the Standard Fare for way too long.
Excellent game, but not meant for children or the faint at heart.

Edited on 09/12/2012 at 11:45:26 PM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
431 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 13, 12 12:27 AM
I completed this game via a free copy borrowed from the library. Cursor control will make u tear out your hair. Scenes are usually dark, coz its at night, and navigation can be a bummer. Eg u know u want Sherlock to go right, but somehow it is not so easy to "steer" him.

Tips: Always used the map to help Shelock to jump to a location, its faster and saves the navigation headache.

Overall the storyline is ok as its based on the book. The character and voice over was good too, with British accent included. It can be tough to "understand" which is inventory or what to take for inventory, I cant exactly recall but u can try the space bar to highlight the "?" mark area which tells u if there are some areas u need to explore

[b]SPOILER ALERT[/b]
A bit of patience or prefereably a lot is required to play this game coz of the cursor control and navigation issues, otherwise the game itself is ok. Try to google for walkthroughs, I cant give u the link here, but goggling for "Sherlock Holmes vs Jack The Ripper Walkthrough" should get the walkthrough to that site.

Verdict: 3/5

Ok if it is a free game

momoftoad
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by momoftoad on Sep 13, 12 1:31 AM
I love this game and have hoped for a long time that BF would get it! It is available for about 3 times the price at other downloadable sites - so this is a great deal!
This is a classic point and click adventure game and goes in the series of most of the Sherlock Holmes games. Lovers of the series (like myselft) will understand the method of play, and the way this sort of game works. You exit by pressing esc and be sure to save as it does not autosave. A lot of keyboard navigation. No H0 scenes at all - not that kind of game.
A walkthough is available by searching through google.

[Post New]by littlegamefisher on Sep 13, 12 1:18 PM
I don't mind the "oldness" of the game. It's mechanics (movement, environment, etc.) worked well for me and the graphics are adequate enough to be involving.

It is rich in atmosphere and story. They try hard to flesh out real characters, particularly Watson and Holmes (hence the early dialogue about smoking) and provide a living, breathing London. It plays much like the Conan Doyle stories themselves.

Even though it follows the formula of "do this for me and I'll give you something," it does so in a very absorbing manner. For me, it is like being in a movie but you have enough interaction to keep it intriguing.

Fishies who are having problems with darkness, movement, etc. should visit the options mode where much can be adjusted to the player's liking.

Overall, this is for serious adventure gamers only but I think it is a treat for those of us who love a good murder yarn.

lulu1402
Squid
Squid
76 Posts

[Post New]by lulu1402 on Sep 15, 12 7:43 AM
i have enjoyed playing this game ,had no trouble down loading ,it played withiut any problems ,i would advise people to look for a walkthrough on line to help you if you get stuck .best game for ages

leilanibz
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by leilanibz on Sep 16, 12 7:56 AM
This game ROCKS! I have had about 2 weeks go by with no games that interested me, and finally 2 games this week, and one of them was this one.

This game is not for the impatient or new. The storyline IS the game, it is a movie you interact with. I for one prefer a game like this where the whole story envelops you and you really get into the story.

More please! And please please please, no more ghost-vampire-undead storylines. They have been done to death (pun intended!). :-)

apples16951
Guppy
Guppy
185 Posts

I. Give. Up.

[Post New]by apples16951 on Sep 18, 12 3:13 PM
There are so many things I don't like about this game, it's hard to know where to begin.

The dialogue is rather vague most of the time. I suppose it's fitting for the time period, but it's difficult to follow and comprehend. There's a lot of meaningless babble, which is tiring.

Apparently you have to do everything in the proper order, or you can't proceed. I am now stuck, for about the 3rd time, because I didn't do something I should have done and now I can't go back to do it.

I do like the characters and the voices. The animation is somewhat dated but I'm told this game is several years old.

I'm tired of consulting the walkthrough every five minutes, and I've stopped caring about solving the murders. I'm done.

Branes
Squid
Squid
63 Posts

[Post New]by Branes on Sep 22, 12 6:57 AM
I've played most, if not all, Jack the Ripper games and this one is one of the better ones. Although, I'm disappointed that the "Freemason" scenario wasn't even covered, as that is a very well known theory of the Ripper's identity.

This is not a game for the squeamish or the impatient. There is a lot of blood, and there are bodies, and decapitated pigs heads, for example. There is a pretty graphic portrayal of one of the murders, where you even hear the knife cutting her
which I thought was a little over the top. I can understand the reasoning for including it, however. It pushes you right into the horror of the situation by immediately grabbing your emotions.

Things progress slowly; you have to use your intellect to make deductions from the clues. The game does, however, tell you when you are right which makes it easier.
The interface is somewhat clunky, but since time isn't a factor in these kind of games, taking a few minutes to do a pixel hunt or click a few places to get Holmes to move isn't a real problem. Holmes or Watson will usually tell you if you need something to complete a puzzle or if you still need to gather clues before leaving an area.
For the person above who said he's stuck and can't go back, I've never had a problem going back and redoing something because it will always be available until you complete it. That said, with any adventure game, frequent saving is prudent. If only to be able to go back to an area to see something you might have missed.
The journal system is excellent. Every significant conversation is recorded so no note taking required. A big plus in any large adventure game.
Both Holmes and Watson usually tell you where to go next, either outright, "I have to go to the police station," or with a big hint, "I should ask the doctor in the clinic about this."

If you're an experienced adventure gamer, you should be able to finish this without a walkthru, although use of the UHS hint system doesn't hurt for certain puzzles.
There is one slider puzzle that definitely requires a walkthru. These things drive me crazy and should be banned from any adventure game unless there is a solve or skip button for those who just plain suck at this kind of puzzle. (cont.)

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 7:02:57 AM PST

Go to: