anabel1566
Lobster
Lobster
89 Posts

avoid it like the plague

[Post New]by anabel1566 on Sep 12, 12 2:43 AM
I live by this rule: if there are more posts in the technical section than in the review section, I avoid the game like the plague....I'm usually right!!! This is an old game anyway.....to many issues.

thistle809
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,207 Posts

avoid it like the plague

[Post New]by thistle809 on Sep 12, 12 3:04 AM
anabel1566 wrote:I live by this rule: if there are more posts in the technical section than in the review section, I avoid the game like the plague....I'm usually right!!! This is an old game anyway.....to many issues.

If I have doubts about technical issues, I read the posts in that thread first. Often, the posts reveal that a simple update of drivers (video card) or add-ons (Direct X, Flash Player, etc.) might solve the problem. Even if those solutions don't do the trick, we have some the best, most dedicated tech support people at our disposal here. They will work with us as long as we are willing to try possible solutions and provide feedback. If all else fails, BFG has the most consumer-friendly policies for refunds/replacements that I have found in all the major games sites.

Poof11
Clownfish
Clownfish
503 Posts

Re:avoid it like the plague

[Post New]by Poof11 on Sep 12, 12 6:06 AM
I agree with Thistle809, BFG has great support and customer service. Just because a game may be a few years out of release doesn't mean it's not a good game. There have been brand new games with 12-15 pages in tech with much worse issues than this game is currently causing. I love the Sherlock Holmes games they are timeless. I have been wating for this one in paticular for some time. Plus, the Sherlock Holmes games along with some of the Nancy Drew's can take days to complete and not just a couple of hours. I immediately purchased when I saw it this morning. Although it did note that i needed to restart my computer, I was able to start the game and played for over 2 hours so far without the restart and no problems. Looking forward to getting back to playing after I get some work done.
Enjoy everyone!

Edited on 09/12/2012 at 6:09:30 AM PST

Bpup
Manatee
Manatee
3,891 Posts

avoid it like the plague

[Post New]by Bpup on Sep 12, 12 9:55 AM
anabel1566 wrote:I live by this rule: if there are more posts in the technical section than in the review section, I avoid the game like the plague....I'm usually right!!! This is an old game anyway.....to many issues.

I also pay attention if the tech pages outnumber the review pages. In that instance, I tend to wait to see if an update is issued for the game before I try it.

In this instance, since it is an older game, odds are good that there will be no updates, so I'll give the game a try and see how it plays on my computer. I've found that I've had problems with games when no one else has had them, and I've been able to play games when others have had problems with them.

It's not as if the game is going to break a computer. If you get a blue screen of death, you just shut down and restart in safe mode, uninstall the game, and that's that. Worse comes to worse, you do a System Restore. It's no biggie.

JulieJay
Catfish
Catfish
1,555 Posts

[Post New]by JulieJay on Sep 12, 12 11:14 AM
In all fairness, I never judge the tech thread by how many pages/posts because I know that at least half are by a BFG mod and/or helpful player helping / giving advice to others.

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 12, 12 11:18 AM
The only time I pay attention to technical problems is when I see our regular posters having technical problems. Usually, when those peeps who post here daily don't have a problem with the game, then it's almost a given that I won't have a problem either - with the odd exception, of course. So yes, I do pay attention when regular posters have problems.

[Post New]by sydneymum on Sep 14, 12 1:11 AM
I agree,
Cannot download even the trial version!

Mojave_Rain
Shark
Shark
10,693 Posts

[Post New]by Mojave_Rain on Sep 14, 12 1:43 AM
Most games seem to play fine for me, dunno why, probably a combo of not buying many and dumb luck so I don't pay too much attention to the tech problems others have, although if there seem to be a huge amount of complaints I may not try it.

BUT and this is something BFG and the developers might like to know because I have a feeling others are like me; if a game doesn't work right for me first try, I delete it, period. I make no attempt to see how others fixed the problem, I don't contact tech support, I don't try anything at all on my own, I don't even come to the forum to complain, I just delete it. Always plenty of other fishies in the sea

leilanibz
Lobster
Lobster
90 Posts

[Post New]by leilanibz on Sep 15, 12 4:07 AM
Mojave_Rain wrote:if a game doesn't work right for me first try, I delete it, period. I make no attempt to see how others fixed the problem, I don't contact tech support, I don't try anything at all on my own, I don't even come to the forum to complain, I just delete it. Always plenty of other fishies in the sea

Ditto. I have been a member of this site since maybe 2007, in addition to other sites, and I own hundreds of games. If it doesn't work during trial, I don't bother. There are other games, and the validation team should have done a better job.

[Post New]by kerri_k on Jun 28, 14 1:08 PM
This is an amazing game! I have played it on xp and windows 7 and I have not had one single problem with this game. It's such a shame that some people don't even try a great game like this just because they have seen other people have problems.

avoid it like the plague

[Post New]by kerri_k on Jun 28, 14 1:12 PM
Bpup wrote:

I also pay attention if the tech pages outnumber the review pages. In that instance, I tend to wait to see if an update is issued for the game before I try it.

In this instance, since it is an older game, odds are good that there will be no updates, so I'll give the game a try and see how it plays on my computer. I've found that I've had problems with games when no one else has had them, and I've been able to play games when others have had problems with them.

It's not as if the game is going to break a computer. If you get a blue screen of death, you just shut down and restart in safe mode, uninstall the game, and that's that. Worse comes to worse, you do a System Restore. It's no biggie.

totally agree. shame some people wont even try such an amazing game like this just because someone else had problems. every ones computers are different and handle games differently even if the basic specs of the computer are the same

Go to: