bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 16, 12 1:12 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter Collector's Edition? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter Collector's Edition page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
Marlin
Marlin
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Margrave: The Blacksmith's Daughter Collector's Edition

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 16, 12 1:12 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 12 1:23 AM
You took your time with that "Reviews" thread, Baikal... LOL

Morning, all...

There are 2 gameplay modes.

There is a choice of custom and system cursor.

There is voice-over. Edwina seems to love hearing herself talk.

There is a "Maintain Aspect Ratio" - won't comment on that.

The HINT button is at the right. It only takes about 30 seconds in Easy mode to refill.

The SG (strategy guide) which stays open where you last left it open, is also at the right.

The MAP, which you will get a little into the game, is at the left. You can't use it to jump.
Edited to add: I just found out that the map can be used to jump a little further into the game. You first have to do certain things (open a certain door?) for the map to become interactive.

There are 2 parts to the INVENTORY. One is the usual one where objects are stored, and the other one is called Keepsakes Inventory, and keeps sketches that Edwina draws and which help with puzzles.
Click on the flower at the left of the Inventory, and the Inventory will switch from one to the other.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are not interactive. I had trouble finding several items, because colourwise they are often too well disguised and blend in with the background, or they are so well hidden, that only a small part peeks out. Just as well the HINT button refills fast.

Puzzles can be skipped. The SKIP button fills fast as well.

--- --- ---

Honestly, I don't know why that boyfriend of hers puts up with her. She always gets into trouble, and is always in such a cheery disposition as well. *shudders*

The graphics are very nicely done, gameplay is nicely done, and story seems nicely done. LOL So it's a buy for me.

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 8:49:02 AM PST

jkuci
Flounder
Flounder
2,447 Posts

[Post New]by jkuci on Sep 16, 12 1:51 AM

I agree with almost everything Valdy (above) wrote except that I really like the chatty Edwina character.

The HOS (hidden object scenes) are done very well - cleverly hidden, not invisible.

Though there is no interaction in the scenes, (in the sample version any way), I really appreciate that the previously selected objects are not still in the same scene when you have to go back to it for more "stuff".

I like this Margrave game the best of all Margraves, so far.

I didn't buy most of the other Margraves but I will buy this one, even though it's got loads of puzzles which I don't usually like. These puzzles were either pretty fun or quickly skippable - so no harm, no foul.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
5,030 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 16, 12 1:59 AM
Well, I am disappointed we didn't get the "Houdini" game alluded to for this week by Hondo, but I'm sure there's a reason for that and perhaps next week. So, to this game-

Way back when the first two "Margrave" games were released, I liked them pretty much----nice HO games with a story and a few puzzles. Apparently the devs liked them too and have now released 2 CEs based on those games. (I guess) The last one ("Severed Heart") was boring, convoluted, and not really much of an advance in the series----a pretty abysmal failure, IMO. And this one falls into the same category I'm afraid, although it is a little better than the previous offering.

Pros:
-the story has promise, what with a hidden Cyclpean town appearing every 300 years, although I honestly don't remember enough about the previous game to understand the connection----just that the nanny to the central character shows up after disappearing in the last game.
-puzzles are different and interesting

Cons:
-the game is completely overdone in red, green, and brown which makes it look very drab and results in HOS scenes that are overly difficult and hard to distinguish.
-unlike most games, the hint button when used outside of HOS and has nothing to say except "check the map" still has to refill. So, it's not really helpful at all.
-the aspect ratio does nothing, so no widescreen----just black bars, which automatically disqualifies it from CE consideration for me
-the most aggravating voice of a character I have ever heard in any game ever belongs to the lead character (Edwina?)----absolutely grating and irritating to listen to.
-bonus features are sparse.
-and what's with that gaspy, irritating song when the game opens? Just horribly out of place, IMO.

So, no way does the game make CE status for me, but perhaps as a DD or COTW someday because of the story. Sorry devs, maybe it's time for Edwina to take a long, long rest. Maybe she could go explore the puppetshow in Joyville and duscuss tired,old series of games!

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 16, 12 2:02 AM
Maintain aspect ratio means it will fill widescreens. (ETA: You have to turn "maintain aspect ratio" OFF for this to work.)

This seems like a fun game... LOVE the opening music!! (Is there a music file of it included in the extras??) But it seems that the extras are locked until you finish the game or find some extras in the game... so what if I never find them?? I don't get the extras I pay for? NO WAY. That's a deal breaker devs.

I played about half the demo and it's a nice game... they have really improved since the first Margrave game which is really nice. Another annoyance is that if you play casual mode (as I do) they make some of the puzzles easier. Why on earth would they do that?? Just because I like to take my time and relax and have more hint/skip options doesn't mean that I don't want to figure out the puzzles. That's what the skip button is for! So I guess in order to enjoy the true puzzles you have to play on advanced mode... that's a shame.

I'd say this is 3 stars as is... 4 if they fixed the issues I mentioned. Probably pick it up as an SE or maybe the CE if there's ever another half price sale but I'm not going to pay for extras that I may not be able to enjoy.

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 2:57:49 AM PST

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 12 2:11 AM
cbtx wrote:Cons:

-the game is completely overdone in red, green, and brown which makes it look very drab and results in HOS scenes that are overly difficult and hard to distinguish.

I agree with the colours being somewhat drab, but only in the HOS, and I had quite a difficult time finding objects.

-unlike most games, the hint button when used outside of HOS and has nothing to say except "check the map" still has to refill. So, it's not really helpful at all.

When I was standing in the Market Place, I used the HINT button, and Edwina talked to herself - again - and told herself what should be done next.

Oh, and I forgot to mention: about the MAP: you can toggle the map by clicking on that little eye at the top left-hand corner, and then at that other thingy that is next to it. One shows you the layout of the whole town, the other shows you where you have been and where you are, and where things need to be done.

-the aspect ratio does nothing, so no widescreen----just black bars, which automatically disqualifies it from CE consideration for me

Ditto.

-the most aggravating voice of a character I have ever heard in any game ever belongs to the lead character (Edwina?)----absolutely grating and irritating to listen to.

I didn't care for her overly cheery voice in the last game, and she hasn't changed her attitude in this one either. Chaos all around her, and here she is, smiling and upbeat. LOL

-bonus features are sparse.
-and what's with that gaspy, irritating song when the game opens? Just horribly out of place, IMO.

I thought I was in a 1970s camp, sitting around a campfire, when I heard that song. Turned the music down right away. But then, I never listen to the music anyway (except for the game "The Great Gatsby" - a must-listen-to).

Never care for the bonus features anyway, and am only interested in the bonus game.

On a side note: Unfortunately, the SG didn't tell you how many chapters there are, and then again, does it matter? I have played games with 20 chapters (all very tiny) and games with 4 chapters (all very long). So one can't go by how many chapters there are if one wants to know the length of the game. What? LOL

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,629 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 16, 12 2:41 AM
Hmm ... Well I like this game but not enough to buy the CE version when I cannot even get a glimpse or some idea of what is in the Extras as all you get told on the download page is "Developer's notes and trivia" and a Bonus Chapter and clicking on the locked book on the Main Menu page tells you "Collect all the strawberries in the main game to unlock this book". Sorry devs but that just isn't enough information to persuade me to pay double the price for a game.

I think I need some new glasses to play this game anyway because in the hour I played I didn't notice a single strawberry and there were also a couple of times when the heroine referred to "a carved rose". Well I looked and looked and didn't see a carved rose so I got my magnifying glass and I still couldn't see one in either location .

The heroine's voice seemed OK some of the time but, to me, at others she just doesn't sound mature enough to even have a boyfriend.

I thought the introduction music and the graphics were OK although some items in the HO scenes were a little too "well hidden" one way or another for me to spot without losing a chunk of demo time and so I had to use the hint button a few times.

Even though I am not fond of games that use 'colourwashes' the storyline and puzzles are interesting enough to make me want to buy and so I will wait for the SE to appear.

Cherb

gamergirl675
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,156 Posts

[Post New]by gamergirl675 on Sep 16, 12 2:56 AM

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 1:01:41 PM PST

quynne77
Starfish
Starfish
55 Posts

[Post New]by quynne77 on Sep 16, 12 5:17 AM
Edwina's voice can be turned of via the options if you disable the voices.

This is only added to the review section as the voice is being reviewed as annoying, to which I agree, but turning it off may alter the type of clues you are given if hints are only given by Edwina.

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 5:20:46 AM PST

rpederse
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
16 Posts

[Post New]by rpederse on Sep 16, 12 5:55 AM

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 1:02:04 PM PST

kpajak
Squid
Squid
69 Posts

[Post New]by kpajak on Sep 16, 12 6:33 AM
One word: fabulous!

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
9,383 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 16, 12 6:59 AM
rpederse wrote:Baldy, I appreciate the thorough overviews you provide for the games. Thank you.

Who is Baldy? I am Valdy the bold or you can even call me Vlady, if you prefer, but Baldy? LOL

This is a great game. I love the vibrant colours and the graphics. I just wish that the HOS had the same type of colours and graphics. It's almost as if a different type of graphics with subdued colours has been used. Those are the only things I didn't care for in this game, those quite difficult to find hidden objects. Oh, and that overly cheerful constant talk of Edwina. Half of that would be quite enough for me.
And I don't want to mute the voice. I like voice-over, I just don't want to hear too much of it.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,630 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Sep 16, 12 7:04 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual

- 2 modes , casual and expert
- Notebook
- Map which you get shortly after playing a bit, you can jump from one place to the other
- 2 kind of inventories, regular one and keepsakes inventory where you gather clues for mini games, you click on a flower, bottom left, to get it
- Integrated SG which stays on the page you leave, it only shows two chapters
- Live characters
- Voice overs, which is a shame as you soon wish Edwina would shut up...
- Very nice music in the opening of the game
- Hint refills quickly, useful outside H0 unfortunately with Edwina's voice...
- Skip button
- Mini games easy up to what I played

The story is another one of a missing boyfriend kidnapped by evil ones. Not sure I will buy the CE, and this Edwina's voice...Her boy-friend should be thankful to have been kidnapped, at least he won't hear her for a while, may be 300 years if I don't finish the game !!!!!!!!!

[Post New]by benedictus1 on Sep 16, 12 7:38 AM

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 1:02:29 PM PST

[Post New]by biscuitsmama on Sep 16, 12 8:40 AM
Game has two game modes – casual and expert, custom cursors, voice overs (I actually like Edwina’s voice but you do have the option to disable voice overs if you wish). During the game you will need to collect 60 wild strawberries to be able to unlock the Strawberry Book. It appears that the map does become interactive after a bit and will allow you to jump to active zones. The game automatically filled my widescreen with no need to fiddle with any adjustments.

Many HOs seemed a bit too hidden or stylized for my liking. I had difficulty finding the brown on brown objects. I wish the devs would understand that that some of us don’t really like frustrating HO scenes. I found many objects by just clicking at random and there did not seem to be a “click” penalty. IMO, HO scenes add to the overall adventure and game but shouldn’t be a stumbling block.

The graphics overall are really terrific. Yes, there is a lot of green and brown but it is because of the setting. Some scenes are actually quite colorful and really nice.

Since the SG shows, only one chapter, I have no idea of the length of the game but the last Margrave was of good length for me, so here’s hoping.

Thus far, I have only encountered a few puzzles and none were too difficult – just right for me.

Overall, I think the storyline is very interesting and I know I will really enjoy the game. So I purchased the game because I usually can’t wait for the SE to come out. Basically my need for instant gratification seems to outweigh the cost. LOL.

Happy Sunday. Thanks BFG for two CEs this week.

Edited after two hours of play: I LOVE this game and am so glad I bought it. The music is almost zen-like and soooo relaxing. It has been a long time since I have played a game that has a sound track this great!

There is really a lot to take in with this game and I love the puzzles that I have encountered. This may actually be my new favorite game. Truly enjoying this one!

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 2:14:05 PM PST

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Sep 16, 12 9:30 AM
biscuitsmama wrote:

Overall, I think the storyline is very interesting and I know I will really enjoy the game. So I purchased the game because I usually can’t wait for the SE to come out. Basically my need for instant gratification seems to outweigh the cost. LOL.

Oh, do I relate to that!

I really enjoyed the last Margrave, and this one looks as good or better. Played 40 minutes of the demo, and have been trying to restrain myself, but I doubt I will succeed in that - it just looks too good.

I didn't find Edwina to be especially annoying, but except in rare cases (Brink of Consciousness orian Gray, for example) I do not care for voiceovers in games; I find them distracting. However, I do appreciate the beautiful ambient sounds in this game - the birds, the ocean, and I love the look of it. As in the previous Margrave, everything in this world is cohesive - there is a clear overall design concept that I really like. It reminds of the different locations and cultures in the Lord of the Rings movies; you knew at a glance whether the location was Rivendell or Gondor - the same attention to detail applies here.

Who am I kidding? Of course I'll be buying it - unless I read that it is very short, which I doubt will be the case. If anyone has finished, and could weigh in on length, I would greatly appreciate it.

marg6043
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by marg6043 on Sep 16, 12 11:03 AM
I have to say that this game does have lots of interactive scenes and puzzles, that alone is a plus in a game.

I still can not grab the story line, the opening is quite impressive with the graphics but then after that it just change on you.

Still it keeps you mind working on solving the mystery.

That is enough for me to have this game in my to buy list, be as a CE or SE.

barbee44
Clownfish
Clownfish
667 Posts

[Post New]by barbee44 on Sep 16, 12 11:47 AM
Thank you cbtx for the great review. I like the way you list the pros and cons. It is very helpful.

I didn't care for any of the Margrave games and this one is no exception.

Keep those good reviews coming!

gmac1007
Clownfish
Clownfish
569 Posts

[Post New]by gmac1007 on Sep 16, 12 12:25 PM
Hello everyone Yellow, Red, Green, and Gold Oh My, No Buy ! If this was the way to the Emerald City to meet Oz it's one trip I'm missing out on. What ever possessed anybody to use such colors in a game wait never mind the colors the music was enough to drive me to drinking then Edwina had to open her mouth yep that's when I knew I definitely needed a drink so I made it a double.

Needless to say me and this game just didn't see eye to eye and I really tried but the coloring was simply sickening, I couldn't bare to look at it any longer than the demo not to mention the music which was enough to drive me to drinking. I was waiting for Tiny Tim to come dancing across the screen singing tip toe through the tulips, but no it got worse Edwina didn't know when to shut up. This is the worst voice over I've ever heard in my life and she is constantly talking or making sketches for her keepsakes nventree are you kidding me.

The graphics were not up to par especially with the coloring used I found it very hard to find anything in the search scenes because everything was the same color it was almost impossible. What puzzles I came across in the demo were more than frustrating and just downright ridiculous.

Then you throw in the music where on earth did they find this Woodstock. I was waiting for Tiny Tim to come dancing across the screen singing Tip Toe Through The Tulips. This is the worst music I have ever heard for a game it totally throws everything off because it simply just doesn't fit I'm sorry this isn't music you use for a game at least it's that way for me.

For me the story just didn't grab me at all. The game just moved to slow and none of the search scenes were interactive and there were way too many mind numbing frustrating puzzles that absolutely made no sense to me but did manage to make me scream a couple of times.

It's fairly obvious I won't be buying this ce nor will I buy the se when it's released. For some reason or another I've never been able to get into this series and I've tried every one of them and each one for me just gets worse. I think it's time to send Edwina packing as I think this series has more than run it's course especially with these last two installments with the goofy Woodstock music and that nerve grinding voice of Edwina. Put all of this together and you have the perfect recipe for a good strong drink and trust me I made mine a double but for those that do like it enjoy your game and have fun

Edited on 09/16/2012 at 12:36:02 PM PST

Go to: