silverfiesta
Guppy
Guppy
155 Posts

Offensive

[Post New]by silverfiesta on Sep 16, 12 8:12 PM
I found the references to Puritans offensive in the extreme. A casual game is not the place to single out one religious group with so much negativity, after all they were the ones to come over on the Mayflower. And I hope this does not go against the rules of a religious discussion in the forums because the developer started it when he chose to make the Puritans his target and people should have a forewarning of this content prior to the download.

FORTUNATUS
Clownfish
Clownfish
883 Posts

Re:Offensive

[Post New]by FORTUNATUS on Sep 16, 12 8:30 PM

I agree.

Sherryah
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
479 Posts

[Post New]by Sherryah on Sep 17, 12 3:32 AM
I do agree with the part about the Puritans being singled out as doing evil. However this is just a game and there really was no Cyclops murdered. I just overlook that part of the game and do not dwell on it.

anubischick
Guppy
Guppy
193 Posts

[Post New]by anubischick on Sep 17, 12 3:35 AM
Yeah I look at it as the puritans who went to the US and the ones in the story are two different things. One's real world, the other is a game. After all last time I checked there isn't a mystical Cyclops inhabited isle that appears every 300 years, but there does appear to be a USA.

Izziewizz
Guppy
Guppy
116 Posts

[Post New]by Izziewizz on Sep 17, 12 4:24 AM
I don't think these are the Puritans who went to the US anyway - isn't the story set "20 miles west of Skye", as it said in the intro.

(20 miles west of Skye would be either South or North Uist, but I suppose more people have heard of Skye.)

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Sep 18, 12 4:46 PM
Izziewizz wrote:I don't think these are the Puritans who went to the US anyway - isn't the story set "20 miles west of Skye", as it said in the intro.

(20 miles west of Skye would be either South or North Uist, but I suppose more people have heard of Skye.)

Izziewizz, I have never heard of either North or South Uist, but could there be a connection between that and Uisdean? Seems too close not to have a connection...

calsmom2001
Dogfish
Dogfish
1,785 Posts

[Post New]by calsmom2001 on Sep 18, 12 4:52 PM
Oh, and while I was also taken aback by the whole Puritan thing, I too pretty much chalked it up to "It's just a game". After all, as previously noted, there is no Cyclopean island that appears every 300 years either, so I don't think that historical accuracy was a major goal of the developers. And they did make a very entertaining, and thoroughly original, game.

barbaralbb
Guppy
Guppy
177 Posts

[Post New]by barbaralbb on Sep 18, 12 5:54 PM
I was surprised when the whole "Puritans as the bad guys" came up... But, you have to admit that they, in real life, left some pretty bad actions in their record. One wants to think that everyone in their possible past was kind, careful, patient, moral, ethical and never treated anyone badly. Unfortuntely, that is seldom the case.

Since this is simply a game with made-up Cyclops, etc...., well I just figured makebelieve is makebelieve and moved on with it.

We each have our "trigger" points in games - some hate the vampires, ghosts, mental hospital settings, others hate the whole "crashed car" and missing male relative storyline, more hate the spider/bug/bat stuff. Personally, I hate it when tools or items are mislabled or used incorrectly as that makes me what to scream.

We can now add Puritans to the list and it's a completely valid concern - it just isn't one of my triggers.

***Edited for spelling***

Edited on 09/18/2012 at 5:56:20 PM PST

WilJul
Stingray
Stingray
5,670 Posts

[Post New]by WilJul on Sep 18, 12 10:09 PM
If singling out one religious group is so offensive, why not complain about all the evil Witches in these games? Or for that matter, Shamans.

But I honestly looked at it more like another culture using the same name but for a different group. One that was puritanical in nature, but took it to an extreme and thus earned their capital "P".

driain
Seahorse
Seahorse
36 Posts

[Post New]by driain on Sep 20, 12 10:08 AM
Leaving aside the "offensive" comment about the game , the actual location, given as "39 miles west of Skye", is very suitable for fishies as being in the North Atlantic west of the Uists (unless the island housing the town fortuitously landed on the Monach Isles). Enjoy - it's a great game.

LNtheSpy
Starfish
Starfish
57 Posts

[Post New]by LNtheSpy on Sep 20, 12 4:35 PM
Hold on … Have you forgotten your history??? All those “puritan’s”, were not so pure! Only one statement … Look what they did to the American Indians??

bfgTokoro
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,111 Posts

[Post New]by bfgTokoro on Sep 21, 12 2:16 AM
Hi Fishies,

I was swimming by and I wanted to remind you that we have an official review thread here and if you post your opinion in that thread you can be sure that we will be able to pass on your feedback to the developer.

As we do like to keep the Forum open for any new game questions, hints or tips and so I will be locking this thread to keep things tidy.

If you looking to chat with other Fishies about this game, please feel free to swim on over to the ’Comments’ thread.

If you would like to submit a review for this game, please do so in the review thread I linked to above.

Thanks and please let us know if you have any questions.

bfgTokoro

Go to: