bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Adelantado Trilogy: Book One

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 17, 12 12:35 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Adelantado Trilogy: Book One? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Adelantado Trilogy: Book One page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

Edited on 10/05/2012 at 7:39:25 AM PST

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Adelantado Trilogy: Book One

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 17, 12 12:36 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

Valdy
Marlin
Marlin
8,228 Posts

[Post New]by Valdy on Sep 17, 12 1:19 AM
Good morning, all...

Well, what do you know? A strategy/TM game that can also be played in completely relaxed mode.

You will have to get through the tutorial - no other way around it.

Buildings will deteriorate over time, and you will need to upgrade them if you want to be able to continue to use them. However, I have yet to come across the part of the game where I am able to upgrade any building.

I managed to get right into chapter 3 before my hour was up. The downside of this game is that if you leave the game while you have not completed a level, you will have to start that level again from scratch.
The other downside is that each level is quite long - the first 2 chapters each took me almost half an hour to play.

The upside of this game is that when you build a garden or a woodcutter's hut or a sawmill, for example, you don't have to click on the product when it's finished so that a worker picks it up. It's all done automatically. When the wood has been chopped, someone will come along and take it to the sawmill.
At the sawmill, a worker will turn the wood into planks, and then another worker comes along to take it to the warehouse.
Same with the garden/farm: When the berries are ripe, the farmer will pick them automatically, then puts them in front of his house. Then a worker comes along and takes the berries to the warehouse. So that saves a lot of clicking...

All over the place you will also find barrels, and later on urns and sometimes a chest. Click on them and your main soldier will go there and smash them open. If something is inside, click on it as well, so he picks it up. Otherwise he won't.

Graphics are very well done, and animation of the characters is cute. Gameplay is quite fun, but can get a tad repetitive after a while. However, there are lots of different things to discover, so the boredom factor may not come into play too early.

ETA: Oh, and yes, I DO get widescreen with this developer's game. Alas, the play scenes are only normal size, but I like those bricks on either side of it instead the black bars.

Edited on 09/17/2012 at 1:31:11 AM PST

grabit2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by grabit2 on Sep 17, 12 5:37 AM
reminds me of an early Settlers game.. very enjoyable, as i loved the early Settlers games. it's been slow to start, so i wonder how the later levels will be. nice little game.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 17, 12 8:43 AM
Ear Ear

This is my absolute, absolute favourite type of game (HOPA's are only absolute favourites ) and I am in 7th heaven that it is here at last and the little 'picture' above shows my face after playing the first 3 chapters.

I ...

. The graphics.

. The animations.

. Discovering the different secrets.

. Not seeing the whole map at the start of play.

. The freedom of being able to build some of the buildings anywhere I want to instead of just on a straight row of squares .

My ideal game would comprise of assorted maps, different lists of goals and a random generator to mix and match them. I think this would mean less work for you devs but maximum enjoyment for us (says Cherb hopefully).

. I really like the option of being able to move around the map using the arrows on the keyboard as it puts much less strain on my wrist than the alternative of dragging using the left mouse button.

. The choice of 4 gameplay modes .

. I much prefer the carved brick wall either side of the playing area instead of black bars.

I do not like ...

. Having to restart the level if I have to stop playing before that level is complete and I think that there should be a save option incorporated so that you can exit anytime or, alternatively, when you have completed one of the native's quests.

. I do not like seeing buildings with a padlock on them and think we should be able to demolish them as they look unsightly.

Thanks for a very enjoyable game devs, please make more after releasing Books 2 & 3 of the Trilogy .

Cherb

ETA ...

I missed something I like out.

Edited on 09/17/2012 at 11:31:21 AM PST

wmidds
Seahorse
Seahorse
24 Posts

[Post New]by wmidds on Sep 17, 12 9:16 AM
I was part of the Beta Test group for this game and I love love love it!
Can't wait for books 2 and 3!

Finally, a non-HOG game that is not the same old dash rehash!!

sartasia
Stingray
Stingray
4,516 Posts

[Post New]by sartasia on Sep 17, 12 9:25 AM
this game!!!
Cherb,you and I are in total agreement and I can't add anything more to your description.
grabit2 I also agree this is very similar to The early Settlers series which I loved. Never have understood why there are not more casual games of this style as that particular series sold very well. The closest I had discovered were the Westward games.

I wish that I could rotate the buildings.
Ability to demolish and reuse space would be a definite plus.
I do agree I wish there were a more accessible save point. I have been hitting the menu button which pauses the game so I can move away from it.
I also wish this would play full screen but the bricks play into the graphics well and are preferable to the black bars.

That being said after I reach a save point it will be a definite purchase for me!

Many thanks to the Devs for offering up this gem. If the rest of the game plays as well as the demo, has decent length and advances in action then the rest of the trilogy will be a buy for me also!

Try Before you buy!
Happy Gaming

ETA the pause comment.

Edited on 09/19/2012 at 1:02:04 AM PST

moesart
Minnow
Minnow
212 Posts

[Post New]by moesart on Sep 17, 12 10:15 AM
Absolutely love this game. It's not a click fest. I'm playing on hard and it really is difficult to get gold. Good strategy game. Very relaxing.

Imberis
Pufferfish
Pufferfish
1,256 Posts

[Post New]by Imberis on Sep 17, 12 10:41 AM
I love this game! It really does feel like a mix between Settlers (a more "hardcore" strategy game) and a time management builder. sartasia, I agree with your sentiment that there should be more games like this. I really think they'd do well! Everything has already been described, so I'll just say what I like.

- The graphics are cute, and the music is pleasant.
- I like that you can scroll around the map using your mouse, instead of having to click around a map like some games (or not being able to look around at all!).
- Even though there are set goals, it somehow still feels like I'm kind of doing my own thing. Perhaps because you can place buildings where you like. It feels so much less linear and less "clicky" than the usual builder games.

It's nice to see a genre done a tiny bit differently, and that difference makes this game so great.

Csustar
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
442 Posts

[Post New]by Csustar on Sep 17, 12 12:30 PM
Good things: The graphics are fantastic. I like that you don't have to click, click click to get the wood, saw the wood and store it and the same with the food. I Like the resources of extra food, wood, gold and such renews so you can send someone to gather it up, and it's fun to find gold, break barrels and find treasures. Like that I can put my buildings where I want. However I accidently clicked on a building I did not want and could not seem to get rid of it except to build it.

Not quite so good: I prefer all my area be visible so I can see what is renewed and where. I want to know the complete list of things required for the level up front, exasperating when you think all is done only to have someone want to talk to you, and then you have much more to do, Way too much reading going on. (I do like to read, but in book form. There is not a info window where you can see how to upgrade or see any other info about the game. I notice when I move cursor to top of screen that it looks like there is another guy competing against you, has a name with a bar to show how far along he is. So where and what is he doing? I prefer the timebuilders series, mkftp, and royal envoy to this one. I see there are a lot who like this game though. Will probably buy, but have others will buy first. Still trying to acquire all the farm frenzy games first.

pubprof
Guppy
Guppy
126 Posts

[Post New]by pubprof on Sep 17, 12 1:14 PM
This game should carry a warning: "WARNING: This game is addictive"

I am not going to rehash all the positives that have already been reviewed; but I do have to say that I hate the big, big negative: you have to complete a chapter before leaving the game or you lose all progress in that chapter. My husband is getting antsy that I haven't started dinner yet. Oh well, off to fix dinner then back ;to chapter 4. Chapter 3 took forever.

nmgirl98
Starfish
Starfish
53 Posts

[Post New]by nmgirl98 on Sep 17, 12 1:41 PM
Cute game! I've bought it and am enjoying it..except for the fact that you can't save the progress during a level!! That's insane that we can't. The game play goes on for a bit so you can't take a quick 10 minute break or so to play a little bit, save it and go back to where you left off later.

boekstart
Seahorse
Seahorse
34 Posts

[Post New]by boekstart on Sep 17, 12 2:06 PM
love it

DMH5321
Minnow
Minnow
245 Posts

[Post New]by DMH5321 on Sep 17, 12 3:13 PM
This game was a real surprise for me. When I first saw how it was written up as book one of a strategy game I thought it might be an older game like Syberia to be released in three parts. I read the reviews and comments here and decided to give it a try. Wow! What fun! I got through the first two chapters in the demo. I love that I am not endlessly clicking to get workers to do their jobs. My only complaint it that I cannot save mid-chapter. Sometimes we do need to move away from our computers unexpectedly. Fix that developers and you have a real winner.

muttnutt
Starfish
Starfish
46 Posts

[Post New]by muttnutt on Sep 17, 12 7:47 PM
Cute game, but it is a no buy for me because of the NO SAVE issue and you can't distroy buildings if you make a mistake.

SuseB
Seahorse
Seahorse
23 Posts

[Post New]by SuseB on Sep 17, 12 9:57 PM
This is really an all up type of Game, super, I am in heaven

grabit2
Starfish
Starfish
50 Posts

[Post New]by grabit2 on Sep 17, 12 10:19 PM
yes.. i agree with all those who lamented the no save partway into a level. the ability to demolish unused buildings also. fix those two things, and this game would reach a higher level of satisfaction for me.

still enjoying it.. just know not to start a level if i might not have the time to finish it.

Edited on 09/17/2012 at 10:20:15 PM PST

dc555
Jellyfish
Jellyfish
12 Posts

[Post New]by dc555 on Sep 18, 12 12:50 PM
I played the hour trial and bought it as soon as it was up. It went so fast I couldn't believe it, I was so into the game. I agree about the no save issue and also the no ability to get rid of unused buildings but otherwise I love tha game. It actually reminds me a bit of the very first Legend Of Zelda game especially with the exploring and finding new territory. I am still playing it and I do like that it takes awhile to finish each level.

riefer
Starfish
Starfish
56 Posts

[Post New]by riefer on Sep 18, 12 2:57 PM
A workaround for the "no save" problem is to Alt-Tab out of the game, and then put your computer into suspend mode. When you turn it back on, you should be able to get back into the game, no problem. A save option would be better, but at least this will let you go to bed at night.

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
416 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Sep 18, 12 6:06 PM
I LOVE this game. Although there are various strategy game, I prefer this sort with a specific goal one at a time, more relaxing, than having to think what weapons to buy, etc, fighting kinda of strategy game.

Animated series of strategy game a la Kingdom Chronicles with a bigger game play field, fants graphics, smooth game play, cute characters

I just dont get it why I have only 1 main knight or whatever that had to walk slowly.....to the chief etc to get the next request (aka objectives), also he will smash vases, barrels to get gold, food etc. I love it when this sort of TM/Strategy game dont need my always clicking just to get food/wood etc, workers do that! I control that general and make sure other workers get the buildings done to achieve the objectives

Its a buy for me!

Go to: