bfgCimarron
1,902 Posts

Reviews for Judge Dee: The City God Case

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 17, 12 9:58 AM
Hi Fishies!

How did you like Judge Dee: The City God Case? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other Fishies in our pond!

You can now share your review here or on our website as well. To do so, just pop over to the Judge Dee: The City God Case page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Just check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of Fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, please be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgCimarron

Edited on 10/30/2012 at 12:54:58 AM PST

bfgCimarron
1,902 Posts

Re:Reviews for Judge Dee: The City God Case

[Post New]by bfgCimarron on Sep 17, 12 9:59 AM
Hi Fishies,

Just to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions or comments about someone else's review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgCimarron

Edited on 09/17/2012 at 9:59:50 AM PST

RyeMcLaughlin
Stingray
Stingray
4,645 Posts

[Post New]by RyeMcLaughlin on Sep 17, 12 5:43 PM
Judge Dee (Dí Rénjié) was a real person in 600 AD China. A series of mystery stories were written about him during the 1700's in China. Several other authors have used him as their detective.

It's widescreen! Graphics are a bit on the muddy/fuzzy side, this makes the HOGs (which are silhouettes) more difficult. The puzzles are interesting so far, though not terribly difficult. If you want to earn more hints, you play Go. HOGs and puzzles can be replayed. You can play in 5 languages, English, French, German, Italian and Spanish.

When you click on an item of interest, you get icons indicating that you can look closer (an eye), talk (lips) or there is a puzzle (dragon). There is lots of clicking through dialog.

The journal (a scroll) has quests, notes and biographies of everyone you meet. There is a map, but I didn't play with it much. There is a skippable tutorial.

Three levels of play. Easy, Average, Hard. The last has less help and puzzles are harder and timed.

It seems like an older adventure game. According to the map there is a lot to explore. I love mysteries and this story seems interesting. If the graphics were better it would be an instant purchase. As is, I'll be putting it in my list of games that I definitely want, but I'll wait until the end of the month to see if anything else better comes along.

WolfenRaindancer
Salmon
Salmon
2,641 Posts

[Post New]by WolfenRaindancer on Oct 30, 12 12:43 AM
I found the 'click on the lips icon to speak, then the eyes icon, and then the take or give icon down right clunky. And the dialogue can be tedious as well. The story does interest me, but I would have to get past these cons, and I just don't know if I can do that. Maybe tomorrow.

Poutoule
Archerfish
Archerfish
41,628 Posts

[Post New]by Poutoule on Oct 30, 12 12:53 AM
Played 20 minutes, casual

First time ever I get a game where the voice overs are in Chinese !!! and it's translated to me directly in French (tried to get it in English as for all my other games, but it seems that as I'm French, French is the only language I can access).

- 3 modes, casual, relax hard (I guess, they were written in French )
- A lot of dialogues
- Option to play timed or not
- Note book where your tasks are displayed
- Map
- Icons to either talk to the character, play a game, pick up an object
- Traditional Chinese games, Go, built a drawing with shapes, etc...
- H0 : silhouettes, you earn points by finding the objects
- You score points throughout the game for achieving your goals

Absolutely beautiful ancient Chinese graphics . If only for that I would give the game a chance. I think a lot of people will enjoy themselves with this game despite the very long dialogues interfering. Might spend a punch card credit on this game which is worth trying.

Edited on 10/30/2012 at 12:54:07 AM PST

debbie1001
Starfish
Starfish
45 Posts

[Post New]by debbie1001 on Oct 30, 12 1:19 AM
Really do not care for this game. Not to my taste. Hope that some like it, however I did not. Hard to go along with the story and a bit clumsey in navigation.

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,751 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Oct 30, 12 2:09 AM
Well, this one is definitely "out of the box", so maybe some will like it----but I did not.

The main question I ask myself in any game is if it is fun to play----and this one is not.
-the graphics are fuzzy and too hard to see.
-the list of hidden objects are so small as to be unreadable.
-once an object is found, it is, again, too hard too see that it has been marked as found.
-the story, for me, was boring.
-too many details of the story make no sense, for example, you hear a child coughing then see a young man ailing so you're not sure if you're on the right track or not.
-much too much dialogue which adds to the boredom factor.

So these things add up to a boring game that becomes a chore and a test of patience.

I'll give this one a pass, even at a bargain price.

hannah57
Clownfish
Clownfish
733 Posts

[Post New]by hannah57 on Oct 30, 12 6:06 AM
This game has 3 modes of play and when you get to play it, finally after reading tons, you have to read and read more stuff. I didn't like this game because I wasn't in the mood at 6 am to read more than play a game. The hiddon object part is hard for me to find them. So no buy here so I hope BF puts a good game out soon before I lose my game credit and stamps, only 18 hrs to go it says,

tj1147
Clownfish
Clownfish
588 Posts

[Post New]by tj1147 on Oct 30, 12 7:58 AM
Review after playing part of demo:

I don't like the game. The cursor is huge and clunky. Way too much dialog although we can click through it - still time consuming. I don't see the need for icons of lips to "talk" to someone, an eye to "look at something", then a hand to "pick it up or place it somewhere". A map was there but I didn't try to see if it would be a transporter type...it seemed pretty vague. The H0 scenes weren't bad. I have no idea about music or voices as I didn't turn the speakers on. The color scheme is one I just don't like...to "brash" for me.

Sorry, but I don't think I will buy this game.

Eoarod
Flounder
Flounder
2,388 Posts

[Post New]by Eoarod on Oct 30, 12 8:30 AM
Hrm, hrm, hrm...firmly on the fence.

Very pretty graphics & a setting that is very unique! As folks are saying, this one does require a lot of patience in story mode (there is an Arcade mode where you can skip the story). H0 scenes are tricksy, some very small items. With the various mini games & Go, H0 scenes, an elaborate story - there's lots to do in this game & various ways to do them & it runs well, always a plus.

This seems to be a game that depends very much on mood...it's a slower pace & more "thinky" than "rush to save the day" - lots to read, extra icons to click for actions, etc.

Though I always say "try it for yourself" - I'll emphasize that more today! It's certainly intruiguing...just not a game that says "buy me now"!

For myself, I'll be thinking on whether or not to buy this thinky game

Happy Gaming!

sunnyglow
Clownfish
Clownfish
582 Posts

[Post New]by sunnyglow on Oct 30, 12 9:38 AM
First off, best wishes to all the fishies in New York, New Jersey and the rest of the east coast affected by Hurricane Sandy. Hope all is resolved quickly. You are in my prayers. We in Ohio were affected as well. No school for me today because of tremendous winds. As for the game, it is not for me. Having read several posts, I believe that there was an actual person involved in this story. DragonLadyOz said that it doesn't translate well to PC and I believe so as well. Don't care for the game. Sorry. A no buy for me. We have had so many great games lately, unfortunately it can't compare.

Edited on 10/30/2012 at 9:39:35 AM PST

Bink_In_AK
Minnow
Minnow
237 Posts

[Post New]by Bink_In_AK on Oct 30, 12 9:50 AM
I think I'll give this one a pass.
Graphics are sub-par and it just isn't worth it to me with such a plethora of better games to choose from.

saphhire
Minnow
Minnow
270 Posts

[Post New]by saphhire on Oct 30, 12 9:52 AM
Short and simple..................NO BUY...................I think its all story, small objects to find,or their under the inventory bar...............................hard to tell if you picked the obj up too.......................with all the great games out this game does not compare to them........................EAST COAST HOPE SAFE AND SOUND.........................

[Post New]by Old_Man_River on Oct 30, 12 11:01 AM
I'm afraid I must agree with others who say it is a no-buy. Graphics are dated and H0's are clunky. Interactive icons are non-intuitive and repetitious.he story line does seem interesting but gets lost in the interaction faults.
As usual try it for yourself, that is what the free trial is for. You may like it. Some of my favorite games are ones that were panned in the reviews.

yvonnehoho
Minnow
Minnow
228 Posts

[Post New]by yvonnehoho on Oct 30, 12 12:38 PM
i bought it and I like it, it amuses me. Different from other games, but that's what I like

Edited on 10/30/2012 at 12:39:54 PM PST

LovetoMissLisa
Catfish
Catfish
1,637 Posts

[Post New]by LovetoMissLisa on Oct 30, 12 2:54 PM
I like the graphics even though there out dated. I'm not to fond of clicking on every single move. And there's so much dialogue. I like a good story and I don't normally mind dialogue...but there are limits. This one has to much!

Be sure to give the game a try for yourself. But be prepared to take a long time to find and move along in the game. With all this said...it's a beautiful game...and it's nice to see a different storyline for a change.

It's the kind of game to revisit and it depends on your mood. You might love it or like it or really dislike it. For me I would get it as a DD/COTW. But be prepared to move slowly and click alot! I think I'm pulled towards liking it because it's has a different storyline instead of the usual dark games. So for me it's the storyline I like, but gameplay out dated. But thanks for something different.

minesita
Dolphin
Dolphin
6,648 Posts

[Post New]by minesita on Oct 30, 12 6:55 PM

Edited on 11/05/2012 at 4:18:00 AM PST

lym_1609
Parrotfish
Parrotfish
416 Posts

[Post New]by lym_1609 on Oct 31, 12 2:06 AM
I quite like this game, although the static graphics and not so great color is off-putting. If there is a walkthrough it would help definitely. Its kinda of difficult to figure out what to combine, until ROL I managed to talk to the monk outside the monastry (NOT the temple, there's also a monk there, 2x ROL). He wants a firecracker and instructed that it has to be made out of a bamboo tube, coal, saltpeter, sulphur/ According to this "help" which incidentally isn't recorded into Judge Dee's notes, I had to go back to the temple to find sulphur, but after completing 2nd round of HOS in the temple, still no sulphur, and I really dont know how or where to go next. Anyone got any ideas? I searched the forum, but seems nobody posted about sulphur, although there was one with how to make firecracker, but that player was lacking coal. (which was inside one of the court's chambers).

About to tear whatever hair I have which I have a lot of it, off. Its an interesting game, spoilt by its own cleverness of not giving proper hints or making proper recording of instructions as impt as making firecracker

I would recommend u buy with free stamps, and preferably either learnt anger mgt, coz hint doesnt work for directions and the map can be a tad confusing, or u somehow wait out for the walkthrough.

BFG, u know what u had to do right? YA, go create a walkthrough or help gamers to get one from the developers. Tell the developers that although gamers of HOS are relatively intelligent, they can get frustrated if there isnt even a hint system to allow them to know which direction they shld go!

lisablue4369
Flounder
Flounder
2,105 Posts

[Post New]by lisablue4369 on Oct 31, 12 6:18 AM
this game was not as fun and we did not care for it.-----------doug & lisa

ruadhan
Seahorse
Seahorse
37 Posts

[Post New]by ruadhan on Oct 31, 12 8:23 AM
I was first introduced to the character of Judge Dee in Robert van Gulik's detective novels from the 1950s/60s, so I was delighted to see a game based on the character.

The game itself has some gorgeous artwork obviously based on Chinese paintings, and the plot has enough interest to keep you involved. Unfortunately, the gameplay is not quite as good as it could be.

Some of the objects you have to search for are on the very edges of the screen, which makes them more difficult to locate than they need to be. Also, you will find yourself traipsing back and forth between locations trying to find the elements you need, which then need to be combined in order to make items to exchange for information or access to other parts of the map.

If you fail in this, you can't advance and indeed, you may find yourself cut off from accessing an area that you were previously able to visit. It's difficult, even on the easy gameplay level, to find some of these items: you have to do a lot of guessing as to where they may be and what they may be, then if you succeed in locating them, there is further guessing as to what is combined with what to make the desired item.

So I have mixed feelings - I like the characters, I like the idea, but the execution needs a lot of tidying up. It is frustrating to get no help when you are absolutely stuck as to where an item may be - for instance, it seems logical that a particular herb would be in the herbalist's shop, right? Wrong!

Go to: