Reviews for Monopoly ®

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Reviews for Monopoly ®

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 19, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies!

What do you think of Monopoly ®? We’d love to hear all about it, as would many of the other fishies in our pond! You can now share your review on our website, just pop over to the Monopoly ® page here.

Unsure how to submit a review? Please check our help article Big Fish Game Reviews for more information.

After sharing your review on our website, please feel free to repost your review in this thread!

Remember, a lot of fishies that will be reading your review will have never played the game before. If you are posting spoilers, be sure to include the words SPOILER ALERT at the top of your post .

To help other players get the most out of your review, you could add a note stating if you played the trial or full version and how far you have gotten in the game.

If you’re experiencing technical issues with this game, be sure to swim over to the support thread dedicated to the game here.

**If you are seeking game help, the best thing to do is to start a new thread in the Game Forum by clicking on 'Create New Discussion'!

Happy gaming!

bfgBaikal

bfgBaikal
8,624 Posts

Re:Reviews for Monopoly ®

[Post New]by bfgBaikal on Sep 19, 12 12:43 AM
Hi Fishies,

I just wanted to add to the OP: This thread has been reserved for reviews only.

If you have any questions about someone else’s review (even if you feel that their review contains incorrect details about this game) please contact that user directly via PM instead of replying to or quoting their post as this can develop into a discussion that is not suitable to the review thread.

While the reviews in this thread are first and foremost helpful to other players, they also tell us and all who were involved in making this game, what you liked/disliked most, what you’d like to see more/less of in future games, etc. This can only help us in continuing to provide better games, which is what we all want!

We want to ensure that everyone who visits this thread can easily find the reviews that they’re looking for, so the Moderation Team will be proactively removing any off-topic posts (i.e. non-reviews) that pop up in this thread.

For any non-review related posts, please feel free to create a "Comments" thread in this Game Forum if there isn't one already. You can always create a new thread for any game questions or tips.

Thank you!

bfgBaikal

shorenuf
Dolphin
Dolphin
7,209 Posts

[Post New]by shorenuf on Sep 19, 12 1:19 AM
Definitely a remake of the original computer game. I have the old one, but nostalgia aside, this one does have some advantages. For one, if you want to learn some nuances of the game you can go through the tutorial and the guy in the top hat will tell you all there is to know. For another, the animations are cute -- each playing piece moves on the board in its own manner -- the shoe hops, the ship sails, the car drives -- it's cute. And the game is laid out on a table, making the format more realistic.

Mediterranean and Baltic Avenues are now brown instead of dark purple.

Otherwise, it is Monopoly that we grew up with; Hasbro has put it's name on it. It will be more fun to play with other friends rather than against the computer, IMHO.

Not sure I need to buy it right now, but I would pick it up with a PCC.

Note: It opens in window mode, but options allow you to put in resolution and check full screen. On my Mac it was actually wide screen.

Edited on 09/19/2012 at 12:50:30 PM PST

cbtx
Stingray
Stingray
4,755 Posts

[Post New]by cbtx on Sep 19, 12 2:11 AM
I love the game of Monopoly, so I was really looking forward to this one. There even used to be (back when) regular Monopoly groups (yes there were, younger fishies) so the game has a big nostalgic element for me.

At first, I thought it was a little flat and unexciting----but then the AI got itself a little involved, properties got bought, trades were proposed, all the elements came in, and quite suddenly I found myself thoroughly enjoying the game! I only played against one other player for the whole time and I played on the easy version (I believe there are 4 difficulty choices!) but I was able to establish a monopoly but was also almost out of money----so who knows where it would have gome? Fortunately, I saved the game just before my time was up, so when I buy the game----and I WILL buy the game----I'll find out.

Beyond that, the game is loaded with nice touches such as a "teacher" mode to help those that need it to learn the game, all kinds of nice tips and tutorials, thorough instructions on game play, house rules to turn off or on, and a set of 3 little cheats I've never seen before anywhere, anytime in Monopoly (thought I knew everything about Monopoly), and the option to adjust your resolution to widescreen, and your choice of a room to play in, and a few others.

I'm pretty sure there will be those who would rather get out the actual board and play with others, but for me this is every bit as enjoyable as any solitare or arcade game BF offers----and just as much fun.

BTW, the c++ box showed up, and I just cancelled it. (as always)

One last thing is a spoiler or sorts-so highlight to read---- In the advanced tips section are things that I was very surprised to see discussed----I thought only myself and a lady in Timbuktu knew them. LOL

Daisy_May
Stingray
Stingray
5,017 Posts

[Post New]by Daisy_May on Sep 19, 12 3:48 AM
I'm in the UK & I get the board I'd rather see (the London version).

The tutorial mentions the US names but I can see (on the board behind the tutorial comments) which colour group is being talked about.

When I played without tutorial on, when I landed on Pall Mall (1st pink one), the wording still said 'Buy St Charles Street for M140) (or something like that - I may have that name slightly wrong) BUT, the title deed card (which is shown much larger than the sentence about St. Charles Street above it) did show the UK name so I was able to play in terms of familiar place names.

Owned properties have a coloured bar (denoting which player) against them & you can zoom in on sites and find out more detail about them (including using the 'insight' function to see the odds of each player landing on them during their next turn).

It offers several variations in rules, such as .....
* Auctions on/off
* Limited houses available overall (as in the board game) or not
* What to do with the free parking space (my family always played with Free Parking as just that and it wasn't until I was an adult that I met people who put any taxes paid into Free Parking to be won by the next person who lands there).
* What you get if you land directly and GO instead of passing by it
(There may have been one or two others too, these are just the ones I remember).

The trades (trading sites with other players) are automated in a way which gives you complete freedom in what to offer.

I will probably buy it sometime (no rush, because I'm not sure how often I would play Monopoly over other genres and I have a lot of games that I haven't got around to playing yet).

I would welcome a fix to get placenames in tutorials/transactions to match the board, but I would also buy/play it even as it stands, partly because I am pleased with getting the London board (obviously it would be possible to learn a new board but I wouldn't be interested enough to do that) & partly because it's a nice version.....
...... fun playing token animations (can be speeded-up or skipped in non-tutorial mode though, if you want), & being able to choose rainbow dice (although that is just varied colour dots - the background is still a cream colour) and so on.

& (most importantly) it moves at a nice pace IMO. An online version (not here) left me yelling 'oh get on with it' during other players' turns. This one doesn't

Edited on 09/19/2012 at 9:39:59 AM PST

ElizabethR1533
Guppy
Guppy
164 Posts

[Post New]by ElizabethR1533 on Sep 19, 12 8:22 AM
I was looking forward to playing this when I saw it was available and have played for 50 minutes (as I wanted the game to be saved). I will probably buy it, although I don't know how many games I will actually play with it. It's good to have the option of playing with another human.

The graphics are very good, although the screen does jerk around a lot, but I got used to it.

I liked the fact that it was the London version, as I am used to playing on that when I was a kid on the board game. Although it was mildly frustrating that when it came to trading/buying, it was the American version! So if it was a trade, I had to look directly at the board for where it was. Surely this is something relatively easy to have done correctly in the first place.

The computer did seem to get very lucky at times and I got unlucky! I'd say more than half the time I passed "go", I landed on "pay tax", so lost my £200.
I am playing on "easy", and I reckon that if you play on a harder level, the AI doesn't get better, it just gets luckier and the human get more unlucky. This happens with all games that I have played against an AI as an opponent, it's just lazy programming, IMO.

Having said all this, I will probably buy the game as I have enjoyed playing so far.

kelsie2
Guppy
Guppy
158 Posts

[Post New]by kelsie2 on Sep 19, 12 8:35 AM
tried it for 10 minutes I think I will stick to the old way sorry .

Hometownk
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Hometownk on Sep 19, 12 8:48 AM
I gave it a fair play, I thought. I find it too mindless. It is all chance and we have very little input into our game play. Trade Mania, which has been mentioned, gives us the option of buying and selling goods to improve our money. Also we can purchase movement cards to give us control over where we land.

Monopoly is a great game in a social setting with other people around. I'll probably pass on this, but I did hear that we could play against real people on-line. I may use my last 20 minutes of free trial to try a game like that.

cherbtoo
Orca Whale
Orca Whale
22,626 Posts

[Post New]by cherbtoo on Sep 19, 12 10:01 AM
Cbtx ... Thanks for your comment about it being OK to cancel the C++. I didn't notice that before downloading the game and my options were to repair or cancel and so I repaired.
Hope I did right .

I was really hoping that I would like this particular version as I love Monopoly but, despite winning a game, I now have a headache from all the arrows when you pass go, the stars and whatever that symbol is when money is paid into your account flashing across the screen . Yes I did turn the animations off but from what I could see, it only stopped the best part of the game and that is the running, the battleship sailing etc. I wanted to keep them and get rid of all the other unnecessary flashing stuff.

I have never understood why devs think that a load of flashing symbols, fireworks etc are necessary to any of these board and M3 type games but obviously I am in the minority that dislike them. Consequently I haven't bought as many games as I would have done had they not been incorporated and this particular game is yet another case of it being a good game without them and without them I would have bought it but with them, no thanks.

With the animations turned off you couldn't see clearly where you had landed without going 1, 2, 3 etc on the screen with your finger because the piece didn't move until after you had finished your turn.

It was rather strange seeing the English names on the board and being told the American one. Unlike Daisy I didn't click on the title deeds .

Lastly I would have liked to been able to view all of my cards from the front instead of them being only at the side where I couldn't read the names. Initially when I landed on a property and was asked if I wanted to buy I couldn't see what I was actually collecting and, due to CRS , it was a bit like playing blind as you had to make a yes or no decision there and then. It was much easier when I wrote the titles down on a piece of paper though .

A good effort devs but it's just not for me, sorry.

Cherb

[Post New]by daisyduck352 on Sep 19, 12 2:53 PM
Didn't like the game, too confusing and couldn't make heads or tails on what to do. Not a game for me.

metmichallica
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,078 Posts

[Post New]by metmichallica on Sep 19, 12 5:13 PM
I have been waiting a long time for a Monopoly as they took the old ones down which I got a refund on another site for. But this game is good. The only thing I don't like about it is you can't enter your name when you are playing and the M's are kinda confusing as to who landed on who's property.

[Post New]by Granny_Smith on Sep 20, 12 8:33 AM
I bought the game and really like playing it, but I must admit it was a bit confusing with the board being the London version and the comments being the American version (I think) . Still really enjoyed it, but it would be better if both the board and the comments matched.

cat52
Angelfish
Angelfish
1,043 Posts

[Post New]by cat52 on Sep 20, 12 12:38 PM
Can change house rules
Plays exactly like the real game
Interesting statistics kept on, for example, dice rolls
Cute piece animation
Can play all-human games with no messing with paper bits

Pop-up messages keep partially blocking the playing field even with tutorials turned off - slows me down seeing around them
AI-to-AI deals are accepted that shouldn't be
I don't like the music or, as someone else remarked, all the bling

Net: I'd say, buy it if you like the board game, especially if you have another person around to play it with - really saves time and hassle over the board version and that would be its main point, yeah?! Music can be turned off, anyway

Hometownk
Guppy
Guppy
120 Posts

[Post New]by Hometownk on Sep 20, 12 2:18 PM
I gave it another try and the humans have to be sitting beside me. I played around and adjusted a few settings and tried a few games. I'm still not fussed on it. Still too simple with no thinking about what I want to do during my move.

MzShel
Squid
Squid
64 Posts

[Post New]by MzShel on Sep 20, 12 6:10 PM
I couldn't deal with the flipping and spinning of the game board. I have never had a game affect my motion sickness until this one. I tried turning the animations off, but that didn't stop the board from spinning around when each player rolled the dice.
I love Monopoly, but this is not a game for me.

[Post New]by oceanjonesn2 on Sep 21, 12 8:51 PM
Bought this game expecting something like the old one played four games in a row and the computer won because it put me in jail all four games multiple times and it rolled doubles a lot while I never did. Overall I miss the old game at least it did not seem weighted towards the computer winning all the time

reickso
Seahorse
Seahorse
26 Posts

[Post New]by reickso on Sep 22, 12 8:23 AM
The only problem i have with this game {and it is a big one} I do not get to be the car.,
Iove the car anyone no how I can fix it so I can be the car? Otherwise I love this 2 thumbs up. No learning curve. If you know how to play moopoly jump right in!

lilTweet7
Herring
Herring
324 Posts

[Post New]by lilTweet7 on Sep 22, 12 1:17 PM
Growing up, I remember the 'adults' in the family playing Monopoly, and getting into arguments midway through the game. Sometimes the game would last days with them. I always liked Monopoly, but not the fights. Now I can finally play it with the computer and with peace of mind. LOL

Edited on 09/22/2012 at 1:18:40 PM PST

[Post New]by ManiacalZebra on Sep 22, 12 3:44 PM
reickso wrote:The only problem i have with this game {and it is a big one} I do not get to be the car.,
Iove the car anyone no how I can fix it so I can be the car? Otherwise I love this 2 thumbs up. No learning curve. If you know how to play moopoly jump right in!

Just keep clicking on the piece in the setup until you get the piece you want. I like being the dog because I like the jingle of the "tags" on his invisible collar and the way he dances when he wins. I'm always able to keep clicking through the pieces until he shows up.

When reading some of the reviews on the site, I was struck by the number of people who rated it low because they felt it was better playing with people. I can't help but wonder why they buy computer games when they prefer playing with actual people.

GeorgeTSLC
Barracuda
Barracuda
3,470 Posts

Re: Reviews for Monopoly ®

[Post New]by GeorgeTSLC on Sep 24, 12 2:59 PM
Yes, you can be the RACE car (not a model A, if that's what you're holding out for). And you can even choose the color of your ownership markers, so long as you like dark blue, yellow, cerise, or red. (Tho what str8 boy decided those last two belonged together ... !)

And to respond to a few complaints voiced in the tech-issues-only thread:

I can easily turn off the auctions, but would much rather not. (I even like watching the AI bid against itself when I'm not bidding.)

I don't a bit mind watching the tokens move in close-up. I now choose the ones I most want to watch and/or hear each time for my opponents, and stick to Dog for myself.

Anybody who complains about the AI getting doubles while they don't has no grasp of statistics--unless the player has actually been recording over a series of at least a thousand rolls. (I myself am suffering an absolutely crippling deficits of 8s* over the last 9 games, according to the record available from the front page of the program. Unsurprisingly, the 3 AIs--which among them probably roll nearly thrice as often as I do--are closer to a nice smooth bell curve.)

Finally: This game is the closest I think you can come to playing Monopoly against people w/o actually doing so. Moreover, when set to Hard, the opponents are actually good--unlike those in Trade Mania. They even offer occasional weird and desperate best-I-can-come-up-with c'mon-buddy-take-it trades, just like humans would.

LATER: Well, not all that good at trading after all. See the various discussions listed in the "Stupid AI Tricks" thread in this forum.

Tangent: Another game w/ competent AI opponents is Picket Fences, also available from the Fish here.
-----------------
* Troublingly, no indication of which 8s I did get were doubles and which not.

Edited on 09/06/2013 at 10:09:53 PM PST

Go to: